Old 10-16-2006, 10:30 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Top rated Michelins - Consumer Reports

Are the Michelin Hx MXM4 on the RDX? I think they are...not sure

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/061016-3.htm

October 16, 2006

Dunlop, Michelin and Goodyear score highest in Consumer Reports tests

Yonkers, New York - Consumers Reports has rated the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 its best H-speed-rated performance all-season tire, the Michelin HX MXM4 the best V-speed-rated and the Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip GW3H the best performance winter tire in tests. The report will be included in the November issue of the magazine.

The Dunlop tire ranked best among 22 competitors, while the Michelin Pilot bested 13 tires and the Goodyear Eagle was top among 20 models.

The magazine says that performance tires currently account for 21 per cent of the replacement tire market and "are often the best choice for more performance-oriented late-model cars". Until recently, they were fitted mostly on sporty or luxury vehicles, but are now standard on many everyday sedans and even some economy cars.

Among H-rated tires, the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 posted the best overall score, followed by the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S and Falken Ziex tied for second place, with the Continental ContiProContact in third. All were rated "Excellent".

Among V-rated tires, the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 took top points by a slim margin, followed by the Yokohama Avid V4s in second, and the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S in third. All three, plus the V-rated Continental ContiProContact, posted an "Excellent" score.

Among the 20 models of performance winter tires tested, the Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip took top honours, followed by the Nitto Winter SN1 H; both took "Excellent" ratings. Third-place Continental ContiWinterContact TS810 H came in third, with a "Very Good" score.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:19 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I don't care what CR says, having owned 7 Hondas/Acuras with OEM Michelin tires, if I could afford to replace them as soon as I bought any of those cars I would have.

Dunlops are a much better tire.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:34 AM
Instructor

I can't complain about the Michelins while its sunny out. But you throw in any kind of weather and those tires are marginal at best. The All-Season label is a joke, just sunny folks..
Old 10-16-2006, 11:42 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think I just lost all respect for Consumer Reports. Those Pilots are horredous!
Old 10-16-2006, 11:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Sclass88
I think I just lost all respect for Consumer Reports. Those Pilots are horredous!
Read some people's reviews of the Michelin tire vs. other tires on TireRack and you'll see the Michelin's aren't what CR says. IMO, they're ok, but not great, and definitely not worth ~$200/tire. I'm replacing mine on my TSX in the spring, probably with Bridgestone Turanza LS-V. Getting Dunlop Winter Sport M3s for the winter.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:48 PM
Advanced

If i were to change the Michelins on my RDX, which set of all season tires should i go for?....i am a real concerner for max safety driving in the rain.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:57 PM
Instructor

If you check www.tirerack.com, the 235/55/18 with the best hydroplaning and wet traction ratings are the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza.

Count me as a contrarian who always prefers Michelins on my Hondas/Acura.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:35 AM
Instructor

What are the best all-season tires for the RDX then? I don't mind paying $200 a tire (of course I'd rather not) for the best in terms of performance and longevity.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:00 AM
Instructor

The Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza gets the best Tirerack survey ratings across the board for that size of All-Season tires. The UTQG rating is 600/A/A, compared to the factory-fitted Michelins which are 300/A/A. What that means is that the Alenza's treads should last twice as long as the Michelin Pilots. Tirerack quotes the Alenzas at $149 each.

Here's the link for a couple of Alenza tests.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Carbon Bronze RDX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Madison3
The Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza gets the best Tirerack survey ratings across the board for that size of All-Season tires. The UTQG rating is 600/A/A, compared to the factory-fitted Michelins which are 300/A/A. What that means is that the Alenza's treads should last twice as long as the Michelin Pilots. Tirerack quotes the Alenzas at $149 each.

Here's the link for a couple of Alenza tests.
not exactly true. there is little standard or enforcement of the UTQG ratings, and comparisons across tire manufacturers aren't really valid. within a brand, the rating should be a relative indication of longevity. still, anything rated 600 should be rather durable.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:53 PM
Instructor

Good point; I should have clarified on that.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Racer

In my experience the Michelin HX MXM4's are very average tires, getting high marks for uniformity which means they roll very smoothly. At about 25K on my 03 TL-S they were at 5/32 inch or less, and my driving would only be described as moderate. These are decent tires when new being both quiet and good in snow, but lack the grip of true performance tires. They are quite poor in wet weather and give a noticeably harsher ride after about 20K. In comparison my Yoko Avid V4S are much grippier, are better in wet weather, and have much better wear characteristics. The Yokos are a much better fit for the TL-S. With regard to Tire Rack's user ratings, one has to keep in mind that Michelin HX MXM4's are often spec'd as OE. This means that people are probably comparing the performance of their worn out Michelin's against whatever new tire they chose as replacements. For this reason the scores probably look somewhat artificially low. For a more objective rating check out Tire Rack's own test results:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ay.jsp?ttid=63

Still, I don't see how Consumer Reports could score the Michelin's above the Yoko's. Additionally, one might question whether these tires should be compared together. Yes, they are both V rated, but the Michelin's are Grand Touring tires and the Yoko's are High Performance. These are just my experiences, hope they are helpful...
Old 10-17-2006, 08:52 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you have to consider what the ratings are based on. Consumer Reports is rating the tires based on what the average consumer is looking for, which is probably safety over performance.

Quote from Consumer Reports:

Guide to the Ratings

Overall score emphasizes safety-related tests, including braking, handling, and resistance to hydroplaning. We scored performance on snow and ice more heavily for winter tires. Scores and ratings are held to a comparative standard within a tire category. For instance, H speed rated, V speed rated, and performance winter tire ratings in this report are not comparable to one another or to previously tested tires. Dry braking was from 60 mph, and wet braking was from 40 mph with the antilock brake system engaged. Handling includes how well the tires gripped in an avoidance maneuver involving a swerve into the left lane and back into the right lane; dry and wet cornering grip; and subjective steering feel. Hydroplaning reflects how quickly we could drive through standing water before the tires begin to lose contact with the pavement. Rolling resistance, measured on a dynamometer, is a factor in fuel economy. (We didn’t test the winter tires for rolling resistance and tread wear.) Snow traction reflects the distance our test car needed to accelerate from 5 to 20 mph on moderately packed snow. We tested ice braking on a skating rink from 10 mph with the ABS disengaged. Ride and noise reflect our onroad judgments. Price is retail we paid in late 2005. Performance all-season tires either don’t have a tread-wear warranty or it ranges between 30,000 to 80,000 miles. Tread life is the indicator of wear potential from CR’s 16,000-mile mixed-driving test and is not part of the overall score.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Digits
I think you have to consider what the ratings are based on. Consumer Reports is rating the tires based on what the average consumer is looking for, which is probably safety over performance.

Quote from Consumer Reports:

Guide to the Ratings

Overall score emphasizes safety-related tests, including braking, handling, and resistance to hydroplaning. We scored performance on snow and ice more heavily for winter tires. Scores and ratings are held to a comparative standard within a tire category. For instance, H speed rated, V speed rated, and performance winter tire ratings in this report are not comparable to one another or to previously tested tires. Dry braking was from 60 mph, and wet braking was from 40 mph with the antilock brake system engaged. Handling includes how well the tires gripped in an avoidance maneuver involving a swerve into the left lane and back into the right lane; dry and wet cornering grip; and subjective steering feel. Hydroplaning reflects how quickly we could drive through standing water before the tires begin to lose contact with the pavement. Rolling resistance, measured on a dynamometer, is a factor in fuel economy. (We didn’t test the winter tires for rolling resistance and tread wear.) Snow traction reflects the distance our test car needed to accelerate from 5 to 20 mph on moderately packed snow. We tested ice braking on a skating rink from 10 mph with the ABS disengaged. Ride and noise reflect our onroad judgments. Price is retail we paid in late 2005. Performance all-season tires either don’t have a tread-wear warranty or it ranges between 30,000 to 80,000 miles. Tread life is the indicator of wear potential from CR’s 16,000-mile mixed-driving test and is not part of the overall score.
I see what you are saying. However, I consider myself "the average consumer." I'm not looking for big performance, I don't track my car, and I don't drive crazy - I'm just a normal driver, and yet I still find the Michelins just average and maybe even less than average, considering that they wore out at about 30,000 miles on my TSX. I think that kind of treadware is pitiful, especially considering they are ~$200 each (for 17s on the TSX). I can tell the tires are on their way out, even though I don't see the warning strip yet - they screech and slip, especially in wet conditions and I've had to alter my driving just to make sure I stay on the road. When they were newer, they were of course a little bit better, but still not great in wet/snowy weather. I've had other Michelin tires that I liked - my mom's car has a Michelin tire on it that is still great after about 40,000 miles, and its rating is 80,000 miles! I just think that there are much better tires out there, for much cheaper than the stock Michelin tire. Seriously. I'm pretty disappointed in this tire after all the previously good experiences I had with other tires of the same brand.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Racer

I agree that Consumer Reports tries to appeal to the "average consumer", but with tires it is important to remember that performance and safety go hand-in-hand...