A TL owner asking for some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 02:34 AM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
A TL owner asking for some help

Hey guys. Quick question for all you RDX owners.

Can the RDX build boost from a standstill by powerbraking? Does the RDX have a boost gauge built into the dash to confirm this or is anyone using an aftermarket boost gauge? What is the stall speed of the converter?

If not, has anyone found a way to make this happen?

I have a turbocharged auto 04 TL and I cant build boost by powerbraking

Thanks
Old 10-27-2010, 07:49 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
libert,

not sure i this is what you are refferring to but check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgi9A...eature=related
Old 10-27-2010, 08:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I had to google "power braking" to see what you are trying to ask. I got this link:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1224448AAAFK6B

It doesn't seem like a very good idea or even one that would provide much benefit, but I don't know much about it other than what I read from a couple links from the search results. What exactly are you hoping to gain by doing this? For racing purposes at the track? Just wondering.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by libert69
Hey guys. Quick question for all you RDX owners.

Can the RDX build boost from a standstill by powerbraking? Does the RDX have a boost gauge built into the dash to confirm this or is anyone using an aftermarket boost gauge? What is the stall speed of the converter?

If not, has anyone found a way to make this happen?

I have a turbocharged auto 04 TL and I cant build boost by powerbraking

Thanks
??? You have a 2004 TL with a turbo??? The RDX is the only turbo currently offered in the Acura line up.

PS. Turbo or no turbo, powerbraking (or should I say powerbreaking!) is NOT recommended for a street car unless you just like killing your vehicle!
Old 10-27-2010, 09:17 PM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
^^he has an aftermarket turbo kit specifically made for the 3rd gen TL and TL-S. Kit is complete and put together by J&R Performance

Not sure wat exactly he is tryin to gain here either BUT the vid i posted is defintely very harmful to the engine/powertrain and i recommend NO ONE to do this!
Old 10-27-2010, 09:56 PM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
I found that vid you posted soon after I started this thread. So that answers the question. Yes the rdx can build a little boost by powerbraking.

My TL however cannont build boost this way. That leaves me to believe the the rdx ecu is capable of this. I just need to figure out why the rdx ecu allows this to happen and hopefully I can make some adjustments to the TL ecu.
Building boost by powerbraking is the best way to get off the line quickly at the track.

Powerbraking does not do nearly as much damage as you guys think. Its just putting the load on the converter until you release the brake. Holding the gas and brake pedal for a few seconds to build some boost is fine but dont sit there for a long time like that.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Man, the kind of torture some of us put a sport sedan through. Ten years ago I was buying my first brand new car. After listing all the things I wanted to do it when I got it, a mechanic friend simply told me this, "If you want a better cornering, faster car, buy it from the factory that way" At the time I really didn't get it. Now, ten years later, that I have blown a shit load of money trying to turn a 25K car into a 35K car I understand what he meant. I'll never be able to make my little 240 hp RDX Paprika into a 400hp Cayenne. That is why I finish every rambling with, SAVE YOUR MONEY.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:41 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Man, the kind of torture some of us put a sport sedan through. Ten years ago I was buying my first brand new car. After listing all the things I wanted to do it when I got it, a mechanic friend simply told me this, "If you want a better cornering, faster car, buy it from the factory that way" At the time I really didn't get it. Now, ten years later, that I have blown a shit load of money trying to turn a 25K car into a 35K car I understand what he meant. I'll never be able to make my little 240 hp RDX Paprika into a 400hp Cayenne. That is why I finish every rambling with, SAVE YOUR MONEY.
I dont think this is true there are plenty of cars that can become faster and better than what are from the factory, a chipped 335 can put down 80 more Wheel horsepower for a few hundred bucks. Same can be applied with Sti's, evo's, Srt-4's etc
Old 10-28-2010, 08:05 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by jagboy
I dont think this is true there are plenty of cars that can become faster and better than what are from the factory, a chipped 335 can put down 80 more Wheel horsepower for a few hundred bucks. Same can be applied with Sti's, evo's, Srt-4's etc
Well, I grew up in the gasoline carburator days. Believe me, I spent hundreds of hours modifying my rides back in the early '80s. Those days are gone for me and the technology is so different now. With an extremely busy job which takes up 6 days a week I'd much rather seek out a new vehicle with the performance I want, be satisfied, and enjoy it for what it is. Period. When I finally get bored with it, I will buy a new vehicle to my liking. That's the mode I'm in now and probably will be in for a long time.

I've had my '08 RDX (bought new) for 2 1/2 years now going on it's third winter here in Connecticut. I typically keep a vehicle for about 4-5 years so, when a hopeful rebuild of the RDX comes out soon (Hahaha!!) I'll be all over it!

PS. The ZDX is growing on me... Just not sure tho.