Terrible MPG!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 02:52 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PANG_CO
Been averaging 19mpg around city and highway. Lately 17-18mpg because of the blizzard and snow storms we've had.

On a 250mile labor day weekend trip out to nebraska. I got an average of 29mpg the whole way!
Yeah, Right. You must have had a good 80 MPH tail wind to get 29mpg. Even at a constant 55MPH I have never seen better than 25-26 MPH.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:13 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fishbulb
Considering some of the stories here, I was prepared for the worst, but I'm actually quite pleased with my mileage. It has settled at between 22mpg and 23mpg on 89.
Fishbulb - just to clarify - do you mean 89 octane?
Old 12-30-2006, 02:38 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SolidState
OK, now I'm back to 20 MPG. I think a lot of the MPG have to do with the brand. With Citco I get about 17.5. With Amaco I get about 20 MPG. I went to Citco the last two -three times because it was convenient, but I usually go to Amaco and this week I went back to Amaco and I'm back to 20MPG. Is it the brand?
Does Citgo use ethanol in its gas? I'm not sure if that's a factor, but I've been reluctant to use a gas with ethanol in it.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Digits
Does Citgo use ethanol in its gas? I'm not sure if that's a factor, but I've been reluctant to use a gas with ethanol in it.
Most all gas these days use an ethanol blend I believe. Usually not more than 10% ethanol. Could be just this area....
Old 12-30-2006, 03:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SolidState
OK, now I'm back to 20 MPG. I think a lot of the MPG have to do with the brand. With Citco I get about 17.5. With Amaco I get about 20 MPG. I went to Citco the last two -three times because it was convenient, but I usually go to Amaco and this week I went back to Amaco and I'm back to 20MPG. Is it the brand?
This is very interesting. I'm just at about 700 miles and two gas purchases later and I'm running according to the computer, about 17-18mpg. I wasn't terribly unhappy with these numbers although of course 20 would be better. I'm going to have to do some brand research myself and see what else could be in the name.
I believe the last two have been Shell purchases.
Does anyone else have any thoughts about whether there could be a diff based solely on brand?
Old 12-30-2006, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sasair
Most all gas these days use an ethanol blend I believe. Usually not more than 10% ethanol. Could be just this area....

I believe the gas stations are required to label the pumps if they use ethanol in the gas (with the % - I guess it's either 5% or 10%, or at least what I have seen). Mobil in my area does not seem to use ethanol, so that's what I've been using even though I'd prefer another company since they're usually the most expensive. I guess they need the money to pay all those bonuses.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by creativeguy
My first tank showed 15mpg on the computer and less when I did the math myself. Halfway through the second tank the computer is saying 17mpg, so my hunch is that the dealer saved $5 by giving me a tank of regular gas at the time of purchase. I'll know for sure after a few more tanks.....
I'm approaching Empty on my first (dealer) fill, which I know for a fact was 89 octane Regular gas (according to my salesman: "they fill all new RDX's with Regular - 89 octane works just fine")! Interestingly, so far I've averaged 18.1 MPG, which isn't much different than that which most of you are getting on Premium and there hasn't been any knocking whatsoever!

I realize that the RDX manual recommends Premium, so what's going on here?
Old 12-30-2006, 03:18 PM
Intermediate

I believe the gas stations are required to label the pumps if they use ethanol in the gas (with the % - I guess it's either 5% or 10%, or at least what I have seen). Mobil in my area does not seem to use ethanol, so that's what I've been using even though I'd prefer another company since they're usually the most expensive. I guess they need the money to pay all those bonuses.
What kind of gas mileage are you getting running on Mobil? Are you pumping 89 or 93 (I have yet to find 91 out there)?
Old 12-30-2006, 04:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pvsurfer
I'm approaching Empty on my first (dealer) fill, which I know for a fact was 89 octane Regular gas (according to my salesman: "they fill all new RDX's with Regular - 89 octane works just fine")! Interestingly, so far I've averaged 18.1 MPG, which isn't much different than that which most of you are getting on Premium and there hasn't been any knocking whatsoever!

What's going on there is probably that your sales guy is an idiot...

The vehicles come from the factory with some gas in it. I would hope that acura is putting premium in it. If the dealer mixed the premium with 89, your probably not going to get any knocks or pings. this is OK to do every once and a while if you have to. Sometimes premium fuel isn't available in remote places. What shouldn't be done is running constantly on 89 or 87 octane. You can probably get away with running 89 and you may never hear a knock or ping, but that doesn't mean your engine likes it, and that your performance and efficiency won't suffer.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:17 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ddrn
What kind of gas mileage are you getting running on Mobil? Are you pumping 89 or 93 (I have yet to find 91 out there)?
I do frequently use Mobil, but fwiw Premium in Caifornia is typically 91 Octane. It's rare to find higher Octqne anywhere in California.

And as I commented in the my post above, my first tank full was Regular-87 (the dealer fill) and it seems to work great ,although I have no idea what difference (if any) I will notice with 91 Octane, but I definitely intend to give Premium a try on my first fillup tomorrow.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Racer

In Canada, 89 Octane is referred to as "mid-grade". 87 is regular. I'm suprised that 89 is considered regular in the U.S.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:53 PM
Advanced

Just to set the record straight, there's a typo in my quoted post (discovered it too late to edit it). I meant to say that the dealer's fill-up was with 87 Octane (89 Octane is mid-grade in CA) and all new RDX's are filled with Regular at the Power Acura dealer where I bought my RDX!
Old 12-30-2006, 05:01 PM
Racer

Just to set the record straight, there's a typo in my quoted post (discovered it too late to edit it). I meant to say that the dealer's fill-up was with 87 Octane (89 Octane is mid-grade in CA) and all new RDX's are filled with Regular at the Power Acura dealer where I bought my RDX!

I'm not suprised. Its common practice. I'm fairly certain my RDX's first fill was the cheapest gas they could put in. No big deal. The knock sensor compensates, and then you fill it will the grade that you prefer in the future.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ddrn
Mobil in my area sells 87, 89 and 93, so I've been using 93. Here is my post from this thread: what fuel economy are you getting?

I've waited a while to post to get a few tanks in, here is my experience:

MilesxXxMPGxxMID
272.20 16.53 reset
290.70 18.42 18.80
280.20 18.49 19.00
276.60 18.45 19.20
296.00 19.26 19.60

Miles represents the miles on Trip A when I filled the tank; MPG is the miles divided by the number of gallons I filled up; MID is what was on my Trip A display when I filled up. My first tank I accidentally reset the MID fooling around with my settings. Obviously had more spirited driving and idling on my first tank getting oriented, etc.

I usually try to wait for the low fuel indicator to come on before I fill up, but third and fourth tanks, I filled before it came on because I didn't want to be on the other side of town looking for a Mobil gas station. I have been using 93.

I would say my driving is about 60 hwy/40 city. I don't punch it every time, but I'm not stingy with the turbo either. It's just too damn fun not to use it!
Old 12-31-2006, 12:46 AM
Instructor

since driving home from the dealer yesterday. I'm still on my first tank of gas and it's halfway done. Driven 151 miles, the average showed 15.9mpg. Not bad considering I only averaged 8mph thanks to 3 hours of manhattan AND BQE bumper to bumper traffic. I love the car enough to not care about the low numbers but will do the math after my first fill-up.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:53 AM
Intermediate

Digits.....
Thanks for filling me in! I used to use Mobil regularly but since we've moved, the Shell is just slightly more convenient. I think I'll have to switch back and see if it makes any difference. Your numbers are just plain better than the ones I've been getting thus far.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:02 PM
Advanced

Just to set the record straight, there's a typo in my quoted post (discovered it too late to edit). I meant to say that the dealer's fill-up was with 87 Octane (89 Octane is mid-grade in CA) and all new RDX's are filled with Regular at the Power Acura dealer where I bought my RDX!
Ok, my low fuel indicator came on yesterday, so my RDX got it's 2nd fill-up, but this time with Unocal Premium (91 in CA) instead of the Regular (87) that my dealer put in the tank! It will be interesting to see if I can detect any difference in performance and if the mileage improves.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2006, 04:23 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

I took a test drive today while haggling out a deal (did not buy yet, but close). Got a pitiful 11 MPG in mostly suburban driving with a quick hop on and off the highway, driving like a granny the whole time. That was not very encouraging! It was only a 7 mile test drive, but I did the same exact loop in my Outback XT afterwards and got 20mpg on the nose.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:24 PM
Instructor

I'm pretty confident these cars will give better mpg after lots of miles.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:25 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by c_hunter
I took a test drive today while haggling out a deal (did not buy yet, but close). Got a pitiful 11 MPG in mostly suburban driving with a quick hop on and off the highway, driving like a granny the whole time. That was not very encouraging! It was only a 7 mile test drive, but I did the same exact loop in my Outback XT afterwards and got 20mpg on the nose.
That's really wierd... I just went through my first tank of gas (87 Regular at that!) and I averaged 18 mpg. That consisted of what I would guess was a 40/60 mix of city/highway driving (and I don't drive like a granny)!

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2007, 05:46 PM
Advanced

Okay - so in Canada, what should I be using to get the best out of my mileage? What's the recommended gas - all I know is it's premium, but that can mean a lot of things.

Also, where's the best place to fill? Sounds like in the States, there is a difference between gas stations/companies.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:09 PM
Instructor

just went through my first tank today. didn't go through it all the way but here are the numbers:

226 miles/13.8 gallons= 16.8mpg

^ I blame that on the 3 hours of stop and go traffic I was in. In 3 hours I traveled 20 miles. That's gonna kill any cars' mpg except of course, hybrids. Once traffic freed up I was able to cruise at 60mph while getting 20-24mpg. It's good knowing this car could easily get 300+ miles to the tank on the freeway.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Race Director

Correct me if im wrong (which I probably am since I dont own an RDX) but I would think if you drove a lot of highway without using the turbo it would get great gas mileage since its just a 4 clyinder.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:47 PM
rdxsteverino

Originally Posted by Trackruner228
Correct me if im wrong (which I probably am since I dont own an RDX) but I would think if you drove a lot of highway without using the turbo it would get great gas mileage since its just a 4 clyinder.
Generally true except
1) RDX has SH-AWD thus lowering mileage a bit compared to other 2 wheel drive, 4 cylinder cars
2) Turbo kicks in when you accelerate. This also degrades mileage somewhat depending on how often and hard you accelerate on the highway.
These factors contribute to RDX's mileage being in the low-to-mid 20s on the highway vs. high 20s.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Instructor

Not to mention a 2.3 litre 4-cylinder engine is going to work pretty hard to keep a 2 ton CUV rolling at highway speeds. So, even if gearing allows high mileage at steady cruising, it's an equal hindrance (along with the turbo) for accelerating.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:31 PM
5th Gear

Reasonable, but not 40 mpg "great"

Originally Posted by Stevenm
I've got 3500 miles, i've checked every tank and I get a consistent 19-20 MPG.
I drive mostly country roads, and highway. Not much stop and go. I dont drive like a granny, in fact I love driving this car on the back roads, its so much fun to drive. But if your all worried about gas milage ( and we all should be for our countries sake but aren't), buy a hybrid.

I have almost 5,000 miles on mine and i do mostly city driving, although i took 1 trip to New Orleans (4 hours, interstate driving) and i got very similar mpg. I was kinda amazed that i didn't get anything better on the highway than in the city. But i think right now i am getting something like 20.4 mpg.
The only thing annoying, is since i am also a Ford driver is the small gas tank- i swear i get gas every 5 days.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mommy_barbie
Okay - so in Canada, what should I be using to get the best out of my mileage? What's the recommended gas - all I know is it's premium, but that can mean a lot of things.

Also, where's the best place to fill? Sounds like in the States, there is a difference between gas stations/companies.
Acura recommends 91 octane or better for normal use. They say the occassional fill of 89 won't do any damage. Performance will be minimally better with premium, but may not be noticeable. Every gas company has differences in gas. Some use blending ethanol or MTBE with their gas. I guess some don't too. It depends on where you fill. I saw a gas company website that had a map of the areas that use different blends, but I forget where it was. California has a more stringent air pollution regulation for their gas. That is why it is hard to find 93 octane in CA. I saw one company that blends 93 with 91 in california, but I'm not sure they all do that. Around here in NoVA the high grade is 93 octane.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sasair
Acura recommends 91 octane or better for normal use. They say the occassional fill of 89 won't do any damage. Performance will be minimally better with premium, but may not be noticeable. Every gas company has differences in gas. Some use blending ethanol or MTBE with their gas. I guess some don't too. It depends on where you fill. I saw a gas company website that had a map of the areas that use different blends, but I forget where it was. California has a more stringent air pollution regulation for their gas. That is why it is hard to find 93 octane in CA. I saw one company that blends 93 with 91 in california, but I'm not sure they all do that. Around here in NoVA the high grade is 93 octane.
MTBE is now banned in CA. As far as brands go in CA, there's ARCO, Chevron, Mobil, Shell, Texaco, Unocal, and Valero (I probably overlooked one or two). Anyhow, it's been my experience (using Regular in my '98 Accord EX) that there's little, if any, difference between them (other than price at the pump)! My contact in the industry tells me that it all comes from the same tanks and the only differences are in their additives - which too are minor.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Instructor

The specs say a minimum of 91 octane and firmly "warn" that failure to use this may damage your engine. Severe "knocking" can damage a piston/valve based engine.

Here in the states gas stations must post their octane ratings. However, because of our decentralized system each state establishes what may be called "premium" and "regular".

In Texas premium must be higher than 92 octane.

Many stations have a quad offering: Premium (93), Super (91), Regular (89), Economy (87). My RX8 must have at least 91 or it hardly runs. I do not know about the RDX as I do not own mine yet.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:37 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by econman
The specs say a minimum of 91 octane and firmly "warn" that failure to use this may damage your engine. Severe "knocking" can damage a piston/valve based engine.

Here in the states gas stations must post their octane ratings. However, because of our decentralized system each state establishes what may be called "premium" and "regular".

In Texas premium must be higher than 92 octane.

Many stations have a quad offering: Premium (93), Super (91), Regular (89), Economy (87). My RX8 must have at least 91 or it hardly runs. I do not know about the RDX as I do not own mine yet.
my old rx8 ran fine with 89 octane. The gas mileage was depressingly low on that car. Filled up every 200 miles.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fishbulb
In Canada, 89 Octane is referred to as "mid-grade". 87 is regular. I'm suprised that 89 is considered regular in the U.S.

Yeah. 91 is considered premium. I fill up at the Sunoco by the Allen and Lawrence. there arn't many Sunocos in Toronto proper but they are the only chain in town with 94 octane gas in addition to the ordinary premium stuff.

Couple pennies a litre more, but feels better driving (not sure why, maybe placebo, but it does)
Old 01-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Intermediate

Turn off the AC if you don't need it. Since doing this, we have been averaging about 17.1 in the city of Chicago as oppose to the 14.8 we got before. We have seen as high as 25mpg on the highway after turning the AC off which is just a bit better than the 24.5mpg high on the highway before.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:21 AM
Advanced

For those of us with gas stations that only offer 87, 89 and 93 (I haven't found any stations in MD/DC/PA that offer 91), would it be reasonable to fill half your tank with 89 followed by the rest with 93? I am sure it won't mix perfectly to a 91 blend, but maybe close enough...?
Old 01-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by pittpanther
For those of us with gas stations that only offer 87, 89 and 93 (I haven't found any stations in MD/DC/PA that offer 91), would it be reasonable to fill half your tank with 89 followed by the rest with 93? I am sure it won't mix perfectly to a 91 blend, but maybe close enough...?
good question. I'm no chemist but the math points out you would only save you a few bucks by doing that.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:23 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Animagix
good question. I'm no chemist but the math points out you would only save you a few bucks by doing that.
93 Octane is normally about $0.10 per gallon higher than 89. Since only half of the tank would be filled up at this savings, that would be $0.05 savings per gallon. Which means you would save $1 every 400 miles driven (at 20 mpg). If you drive 12,000 miles a year, that would be $30 savings per year... not quite worth the effort huh?!
Old 01-02-2007, 12:57 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fenris370
I have had my 2007 pearl white Tech RDX for just about 2 months and have put approx. 2,600 miles on it. In the first 1300 miles I averaged 12-12.5 mpg. I brought it back to my dealer, Paragon Acura in Queens, NY and the service manager said to let the engine further "break-in" to 2,500 miles. I am averaging still between 12.5 and 13.1 mpg. With my daily driving I have to fill up my tank evry 3-4 days. Since it is due for servicing, I am bringing the car back again this Monday.

In other forums and published consumer reviews, poor gas mileage seems to be a reocurring issue. One of Acura's main themes for the RDX is the "efficiency of a 4 cylinder with the power of a 6.". My parents are experienceing similiar issues with their 2006 TL. An owner of another TL I know, says she received a notice of a pending class action lawsuit against Acura for this issues with the TL, but since she is not experiencing this, she threw the notice out.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
In slow city driving (san francisco) I get around 14-15 mpg, around 21 to 23 on the freeway. Not great, but its a fast AWD crossover. Hard to get good mileage with AWD except a hybrid (maybe).
Old 01-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Intermediate

Mine wasn't too bad. The 1st 1000 mile was between 18 - 19 MPG. I drove my car to SC after 900 miles, it reached 21.1MGP on highway, now is back to 18-19 MPG after 2300 miles. My brother told me to wait for about a minute b4 I drive my car, and park the car for another minute b4 turning it off, because of the turbo engine (I verified with the dealer as well), not sure by doing this can get u better MPG, but for sure it is better for the turbo engine.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:57 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Originally Posted by hellokitty
My brother told me to wait for about a minute b4 I drive my car, and park the car for another minute b4 turning it off, because of the turbo engine (I verified with the dealer as well), not sure by doing this can get u better MPG, but for sure it is better for the turbo engine.

This is becoming an old wive's tale. No need to do it with modern turbo engines -- they have water cooled bearings now. So they warm up with engine coolant when you start the engine, and remain cooled after the engine is shut off. I think you can safely add those two minutes per drive back into your useful life!
Old 01-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Instructor

We just got back from our first road trip in the RDX yesterday. From Atlanta to Jacksonville, FL and back including the time there it was about 800 miles - I'd estimate 95% highway although we did encounter an accident and some heavy rain that made it slow and go in a few places. According to the MID, we averaged 22.5 MPG. Not outstanding, but I thought it was decent and in line with the estimates. I still have under 2000 miles so I'm hoping the mileage might get a little better with time, but I found it acceptable.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Advanced

I have 600 miles now on my RDX. I filled it up twice since purchasing it. I am averaging about 10-12 MPG driving to the train station every day. This is about a 5 mile commute. This past weekend I drove to Atlantic City, NJ on the AC Expressway. This is a 59 mile drive. Since my AC trip I have averaged the highest MPG since owning the RDX--14.8! I now need to fill up the tank again. This is horrible gas mileage! 200 miles per tankful.... Come on! I am very easy on the turbo also. While driving to the train station I take note not to rapidly accelerate and NOT use the turbo. I hope I begin to get better MPG the more I drive!

Quick Reply: Terrible MPG!