Road Trip!!! need Good Snow Chains for RDX stock wheels 235/55-18

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road Trip!!! need Good Snow Chains for RDX stock wheels 235/55-18

Heading to Lake Tahoe in the RDX for some snowboarding. First Road trip!!! 500+ miles, I'm so looking forward to it.

Want to buy snow chains for all the wheels. What is a good brand and style?
Old 11-02-2006, 12:33 PM
Racer

I've been very happy with tire chains like this: http://tirechain.com/DIAMONDSTYLECARCHAINS.htm

I like them because they're pretty easily to put on (you don't have to line them up and drive over them like ladder-style chains) and I've been told the chain link style are more durable than cable chains.

I've gotten them at my local tire store (Les Schwab) for about $70 or so. I'm don't see the RDX's size listed on that website, but your local tire place (assuming they sell chains in your area, I'm not sure where you are located) would be able to help you out. Each size of chain will fit about 10 to 15 different tire sizes, due to a combination of tread width and outer diameter, so I gotta think one of the existing chain sizes will fit the RDX.

Not sure if you've been to Tahoe before, but you should know that according to CalTrans' chain laws, with AWD, you almost certainly won't have to chain up. You still are required to carry chains, but i doubt you'll have to put them on. CalTrans rarely pulls out the R3 requirement which would require chains on an AWD vehicle. What that means is that it would be nice to buy the chains from somewhere that will let you return them if they haven't been used. Here in OR, Les Schwab will let you buy chains, and then return them in the spring if you never used them. Pretty handy.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:44 PM
Missin my TSX =(

jsut out of curiosity, so u really need chains for going to lake tahoe? i mean like will there be snow on the ground everywhere?
Old 11-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Racer

It depends on if it's snowing or not... a lot of the western states, like CA and OR, don't salt the roads, so the roads don't stay as clear up in the mountains. And they do get a lot of snow in the Cascades and the Sierras, more than just about anywhere in the country, including most of the rocky mountains. So the roads can be pretty bad, especially if it's snowing.

The problem is, you don't get to decide if the roads are bad enough to need chains, the Dept. of Transportation decides for you. I would say about half the time I've driven up to go skiing in OR and CA, chain restrictions have been in place. If you don't have AWD, you have to put chains on. There are often cops out making sure people chain up, although I've seen more cops in CA than in OR. And, even if you have AWD, you're required to have chains in the vehicle, in case they raise the chain restrictions to say that everyone needs chains (that's very rare, though).

Oh, and the question of will there be snow on the ground everywhere? In most of the west coast mountains, they get enough snow that the snowplows actually carve out what almost feels like a tunnel going up to the ski areas... i've seen almost 10 foot high vertical walls on the edge of the road left by the snowplows... and that's not piled up from the snowplow, the snow's actually that deep. Too bad i don't have a pic. It's not always like that, depends on if they're having a good winter or not... but skiing back east didn't remotely prepare me for how much snow there would be when i first went up to Tahoe.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:14 PM
7th Gear

chains

I guess you wont require chains if you have an AWD with snow tires though
Old 11-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The problem I foresee with chains is that they work by digging into the snow to whatever they can get traction on, and with the RDX's low ground clearance I believe that being a problem.

Mike
Old 11-04-2006, 12:20 PM
Dennis

Maybe. Depends on how heavy, light, sticky, etc. the snow is. With FWD and snow tires I did on occassion drive my old '87 Prelude through snow deeper than the vehicle's ground clearance.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Missin my TSX =(

Originally Posted by jaobrien6
It depends on if it's snowing or not... a lot of the western states, like CA and OR, don't salt the roads, so the roads don't stay as clear up in the mountains. And they do get a lot of snow in the Cascades and the Sierras, more than just about anywhere in the country, including most of the rocky mountains. So the roads can be pretty bad, especially if it's snowing.

The problem is, you don't get to decide if the roads are bad enough to need chains, the Dept. of Transportation decides for you. I would say about half the time I've driven up to go skiing in OR and CA, chain restrictions have been in place. If you don't have AWD, you have to put chains on. There are often cops out making sure people chain up, although I've seen more cops in CA than in OR. And, even if you have AWD, you're required to have chains in the vehicle, in case they raise the chain restrictions to say that everyone needs chains (that's very rare, though).

Oh, and the question of will there be snow on the ground everywhere? In most of the west coast mountains, they get enough snow that the snowplows actually carve out what almost feels like a tunnel going up to the ski areas... i've seen almost 10 foot high vertical walls on the edge of the road left by the snowplows... and that's not piled up from the snowplow, the snow's actually that deep. Too bad i don't have a pic. It's not always like that, depends on if they're having a good winter or not... but skiing back east didn't remotely prepare me for how much snow there would be when i first went up to Tahoe.

wow, interesting, thanks for the little insite... here in NY we get snow, but its normally just a few inches and even so, the dept of sanitation gets on it right away... i never seen a car wit chains, just trucks... and IMO i think the chains would mess up the roads.... well worse then it already is haha
Old 11-04-2006, 10:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by crazymjb
The problem I foresee with chains is that they work by digging into the snow to whatever they can get traction on, and with the RDX's low ground clearance I believe that being a problem.

Mike
Nah, they'd be fine. The chains don't really dig in that far. If the snow is packed down on the road, the chains really just bite into the snow, they don't dig down until they hit pavement. They actually get pretty good traction just from biting into hardpacked snow. I've had chains on my integra before I finally got snow tires for it (if you have snow tires in OR, you're also normally exempt from the chain laws) and never had any problems at all.

Originally Posted by chyllintsx
and IMO i think the chains would mess up the roads.... well worse then it already is haha
As long as there's enough snow, the chains don't make much contact with the pavement, as I mentioned above. But you're right, if you use them on dry pavement, or barely covered pavement, they are pretty bad for the roads. I remember when I lived back east, I believe most states there actually outlaw chains 'cause of the road damage they can cause.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:11 AM
Missin my TSX =(

Originally Posted by jaobrien6
As long as there's enough snow, the chains don't make much contact with the pavement, as I mentioned above. But you're right, if you use them on dry pavement, or barely covered pavement, they are pretty bad for the roads. I remember when I lived back east, I believe most states there actually outlaw chains 'cause of the road damage they can cause.
werd
Old 02-02-2007, 07:30 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
so basically u want the chains to keep in teh car in case u need them? sounds smart to me, cant hurt to have
Old 02-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Dave Smith

I just got back from Les Schwab a few min. ago - was trying to buy a couple sets of chains for an upcoming trip over to Mt. Batchelor just in case they require them. They guy told me A) I need to check with Acura to see if conventional chains will even work on the car, and B) if not I need something called "spyders" that sort of clamp over the tire. He of course didn't have them in stock nor regular chains in my size. BTW the spyders are $350 a pair!

I smell a pitch for snow tires! I got a $650 quote from TireRack for 4 Bridgestone Blizzards, which I would go with before that!

Anyone have any problems with regular chains?
Old 02-04-2007, 08:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by smithd
I just got back from Les Schwab a few min. ago - was trying to buy a couple sets of chains for an upcoming trip over to Mt. Batchelor just in case they require them. They guy told me A) I need to check with Acura to see if conventional chains will even work on the car, and B) if not I need something called "spyders" that sort of clamp over the tire. He of course didn't have them in stock nor regular chains in my size. BTW the spyders are $350 a pair!

I smell a pitch for snow tires! I got a $650 quote from TireRack for 4 Bridgestone Blizzards, which I would go with before that!

Anyone have any problems with regular chains?
From page 377 of the owner's manual:

Acura recommends using Security Chain Company (SCC) Cable type: Shur Grip Z
SZ343

Install them only on the front tires.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sasair

SZ343

I wonder if it's advisable to turn off the VSA with chains on? It would seem to me that the car's stability control would not be thrilled with chains. But as others have said, certain jurisdictios require them.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:40 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

not to restart an old thread, but i have the bridgestone blizzaks, and there amazing...just an fyi
Old 02-06-2007, 03:07 PM
Dave Smith

FYI - I just picked up these: http://www.scc-chain.com/Traction%20...ac_ZChain.html

Per Sasair's reply above, these are a version of the Shur Grip Z chains but don't require a chain tightener which can tear up your rims.

I also bought two sets & plan to discuss the ramifications with the Acura Tech folks at a reception my dealer is holding tomorrow for new customers. I've always put chains on all four wheels of my 4wd vechiles with excellent results & will see what they say about that vs. just the front wheels.

-DS
The following users liked this post:
SDs RDX (12-23-2019)
Old 02-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by sasair

SZ343

Thank you for ending the speculation with what is in the Owner's manual!
Old 12-06-2007, 07:45 PM
2nd Gear

not to bring up an old thread but I just got the Shur Grip Z's and need to know if I should do all 4 tires. Everywhere I read it says awd should have all 4 chained or you can have problems. Acura dealers I have called have no clue and say just to go with the manual. Has anyone used all 4?
Old 12-06-2007, 10:15 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

according to the post above manual pg 377

INSTALL THEM ONLY ON THE FRONT TIRES
Old 12-06-2007, 10:23 PM
2nd Gear

I understand that is says front only. I am asking if anyone has done all 4. Installing on the front only of an aws or 4wd turns your car into front wheel for the most part. Also the back end will kick out when breaking.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:49 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

well the car is fwd biased as well unlike 4x4's. IDK if this in the manual also has anything to do with the SH part of the AWD for the RDX.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:36 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,201 Posts
Hey fellow cold weather travelers!

I wanted to revive this old thread to find out what tire chains work best with the RDX with the standard 235/50/18 tire size. I have new Conti DWS tires and I have RonJon Legend Liquid Graphite rims (hopefully the chains will not scratch the rims). I want to have the chains as a back up to the sh-awd if I run into ice. Planning on taking the son up to Wolf Creek, Colorado, for a weekend ski trip this Dec or Jan. Wolf Creek is +10,000 feet and they usually get over 450 inches of snow each season. Not planning on driving long distance with them and I want something that is easy to put on/off.

The Security Chain Company Super Z6, SZ143, for $67 seems like a good choice. I’m not 100% sure if I need chains on all 4 wheels because of the sh-awd or just the front tires are good enough. Dedicated snow tires would be too much $$ for a weekend ski trip (It is usually sunny and 43-58 degrees in ABQ in Dec/Jan).

http://www.amazon.com/Security-Compa...pr_product_top
Old 11-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
I used the chains (SCC) only once to get up the hill to my house. They have the potential to scratch the OEM wheel but if tightened securely you shouldn't have a problem. They are not intended for long term use and I would not drive over 40-45mph with them on. The weakest point I could see on these is the pressed fitting on the end of the cable. These will fail eventually. Maybe a good set of snows on the old rims is in order for your trip.

EDiT: sorry just read the last part of your post. Buy 'um (SCC's) and put them in the back hatch and hope you never need them.

Last edited by Mr Marco; 11-02-2011 at 02:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mrgold35 (11-02-2011)