Replacing spark plugs. I think one is cross threaded. Leave it in and replace others?

Search this Thread

Old Today, 09:53 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Replacing spark plugs. I think one is cross threaded. Leave it in and replace others?

I’ve got an 07 with about 150k miles. 3 spark plugs came out no problem but one still has strong resistance after several turns to loosen. I’m thinking of re-tightening and leaving it in given the age of the vehicle. What would happen if I install 3 new plugs but leave the cross-threaded one in place?

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks.
Old Today, 12:25 PM
DCS
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by nemoD
I’ve got an 07 with about 150k miles. 3 spark plugs came out no problem but one still has strong resistance after several turns to loosen. I’m thinking of re-tightening and leaving it in given the age of the vehicle. What would happen if I install 3 new plugs but leave the cross-threaded one in place?

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks.
Are these original plugs? If so I would be less likely to believe the plug is actually cross threaded. What can happen is carbon is built up on the end of the plug and as you back out the plug the carbon is causing the resistance in the threads as you try to remove the plug. You might try using penetrating oil overnight and see if it becomes easier to remove the plug. Unscrew the plug some to help get the penetrating oil into the threads and let it sit overnight. When you try to remove the plug the next day try to work it back and forth a little each way and if it becomes is easier to turn the plug then this would be further confirmation it may be carbon build up on the end of the plug that's the problem.
Old Today, 07:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DCS, you were right! just carbon.
I have a follow up question. Somehow the air intake duct bracket isn’t lining up with the intercooler anymore. I’m a bit stumped because the IC lines up with all other bolt locations and re-assembled just fine. And the engine is running smooth. I’m wondering if the soft duct “deformed” over the years and doesn’t line up well anymore…? That whole assembly moves around a fair amount. I’ll post a picture. Any thoughts appreciated.

Old Today, 08:37 PM
DCS
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by nemoD
DCS, you were right! just carbon.
I have a follow up question. Somehow the air intake duct bracket isn’t lining up with the intercooler anymore. I’m a bit stumped because the IC lines up with all other bolt locations and re-assembled just fine. And the engine is running smooth. I’m wondering if the soft duct “deformed” over the years and doesn’t line up well anymore…? That whole assembly moves around a fair amount. I’ll post a picture. Any thoughts appreciated.

From the photo the alignment doesn't look too far off. Is the intercooler sitting all the way down on the rear bracket? It looks as though you may be able to twist the air intake some to get it to align but can't say for sure from the photo.