Rear Bumper Applique

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear Bumper Applique

Bought this on ebay for $50. Instructions state that you need "protective tape application solution P/N: 08712-0008" to install. Package didn't arrive yet so i don't know if it is included but i don't think so. Anyone know what this stuff is and where to get some?

Thanks, BTW Acura owners ROCK!
Old 11-22-2006, 02:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I used a spray bottle of water with a few drops of dishwashing soap. It worked great. It is the same adhesive used for window tinting. Just needs to get really wet to activate the adhesive. Then you squeegy the water out. The soap helps you slide it around to get it placed correctly before you get the water out. Just a couple drops of soap in the spray bottle is all you need. Don't use too much soap.

The instructions that come with it are good, but if I were to install mine all over again, I would have it so that the bottom edge came lower down the bumper than the instructions say. I think it comes down like a quarter inch now, but I'd have it comes down more like a half inch or an inch to protect more of the rear of the bumper which is visible all the time rather than the top of the bumper next to the vehicle....
The following users liked this post:
upprmi (10-11-2014)
Old 11-22-2006, 03:35 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody tried using anything else besides the bumper applique.It looks like it is paper thin?
Old 11-22-2006, 05:16 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

If/when I get an RDX, I was planning to use 3M protective film for the rear bumper lip (where the applique goes). I can get the raw material for much cheaper than the applique, and size it to my prefs. I would do it the same time I put the film on the leading edge of the hood.

For the 3M film, I use a solution of water with a few drops of baby shampoo to position the film. You squegee the middle of the film, then lift each end up and spray a solution of alcohol/water to rinse off the shampoo/water solution and kick start the adhesive. When you squegee out the alcohol/water the film sticks!
Old 11-22-2006, 05:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
that sounds like a good idea c_hunter. I wish my bumper applique was a little bigger. Where do you get the 3M film from? and how much is it?

The bumper applique is 3M film and it is not paper thin. it protects well against my lab's toe nails....
Old 11-22-2006, 05:44 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Originally Posted by sasair
that sounds like a good idea c_hunter. I wish my bumper applique was a little bigger. Where do you get the 3M film from? and how much is it?

The bumper applique is 3M film and it is not paper thin. it protects well against my lab's toe nails....

Here's one place I have bought bulk film from before:

http://www.rockblocker.net/store/37825.htm

Their service has always been good. I have also bought pre-cut kits from them, and their prices are competitive. Here are their RDX kits:

http://www.rockblocker.net/store/38186.htm
Old 11-22-2006, 08:47 PM
Advanced

Sasair, glad to hear it protects against the Lab's toes. That is the exact reason I am installing it! My Chocolate loves it back there.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:21 PM
5th Gear

I found these instructions out on the net that include a recipe for a 3M wetting solution for their protective tapes (link below). Not sure if it's the exact solution for the stuff the rear bumper sticker is made out of, but I mixed up a batch and used it installing mine and it seemed to work pretty well. Basically the same thing that has previously been recommended (water w/a few drops of dishsoap), but changes the water to a 75%water/25% rubbing alcohol mix.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ationGuide.pdf
Old 11-25-2006, 08:21 PM
Advanced

Installed it today, just used warm water in a spray bottle with 2 drops of palmolive. worked like a charm. thanks all for your input.
The following users liked this post:
ARascal (08-03-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 07:20 PM
1st Gear

I'm new to this forum as I just bought an RDX. Thank you for the information above, all of which is very useful.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:45 PM
UPPRMI

I just traded in my 2004 MDX for a 2010. I haul my drums nearly every weekend and the old MDX showed the wear marks so I wanted to protect the bumper and purchased the MDX applique on Ebay. I thought I needed to invest another $80 + in the application solution but thanks to this forum i should be all set. I will let you know as soon as the temp gets above 60 again.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:13 PM
UPPRMI

Originally Posted by upprmi
I just traded in my 2004 MDX for a 2010. I haul my drums nearly every weekend and the old MDX showed the wear marks so I wanted to protect the bumper and purchased the MDX applique on Ebay. I thought I needed to invest another $80 + in the application solution but thanks to this forum i should be all set. I will let you know as soon as the temp gets above 60 again.
I applied the MDX applique using the application solution I found on this forum of 75% water, 25% rubbing alcohol, and a few drops of dawn dishwashing detergent and it worked like a charm. Thank you so much for the info.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:18 PM
UPPRMI

Wink

Originally Posted by upprmi
Originally Posted by sasair
I used a spray bottle of water with a few drops of dishwashing soap. It worked great. It is the same adhesive used for window tinting. Just needs to get really wet to activate the adhesive. Then you squeegy the water out. The soap helps you slide it around to get it placed correctly before you get the water out. Just a couple drops of soap in the spray bottle is all you need. Don't use too much soap.

The instructions that come with it are good, but if I were to install mine all over again, I would have it so that the bottom edge came lower down the bumper than the instructions say. I think it comes down like a quarter inch now, but I'd have it comes down more like a half inch or an inch to protect more of the rear of the bumper which is visible all the time rather than the top of the bumper next to the vehicle....
I used your hint and applied the applique down further on the bumper and you can't see it from behind. The applique protects the maximum of bumper face it can and the space is hidden under the hatch. Thanks for the heads up!