RDX's main competition off of Consumer Reports' recommended list

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 07:19 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RDX's main competition off of Consumer Reports' recommended list

I don't know how many of your subscribe to Consumerreports.org, but they release their results from the annual reliability surveys in Oct, even though they don't get published in detail until the April Auto issue.

The RDX was rated "better than average," with a repair rate that was about 30% better than average and also better than nearly every first year model on the road. The "owner satisfication rating" (Would you buy this vehicle again?) was only average though.

The Mazda CX-7 was much worse than average, with one of the worst repair rates in it's class, about 60% below average and on par with the black record acheived by brands like Hummer and Caddy. The CX-7 also had one of the lowest customer satisfaction ratings in the class with a very small percentage of owners saying they would buy again.

The Mazda CX-9 was also much worse than average. The Mazda6 (V6) and RX-8 were all off the recommended list because of reliablity problems. I think this demonstrates that the Ford supply lines have doomed reliability of Mazda vehicles.

The BMW X3 also had below average reliablity, but only slightly below average. Owner satisfactoin was just average, like the RDX.

Of other vehicles frequently mentioned in this forum, the Nissan Murano, Lexus RX, Toyota RAV, Subarau Tribeca, and Infiniti FX all had excellent reliability.

Anyway, whatever you might say about the RDX, I think these data show it is a better choice than the competition from Mazda and BMW. Warranty or no warranty, nobody likes having to spend their mornings at the dealer repair shop.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:38 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most of the people that buy BMW's don't even consider Acura.

The RDX's main competition is the X3, and the new EX.
Not the CX-7 or 9.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:18 PM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think that in many ways the CX-7 is competition. It's the only other 4cyl turbo cuv out. The RDX may have been aimed directly at the BMW but the CX-7 get cross shopped.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:42 PM
El Chulo...

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Wink ol' Honda reliablity

Is anyone really surprised with the consumer reports. I think we all who shop Honda/Acura do so for a reason , great post darth, and keep on trucking...
Old 10-27-2007, 09:48 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AbovePrime.
Most of the people that buy BMW's don't even consider Acura.

The RDX's main competition is the X3, and the new EX.
Not the CX-7 or 9.
Can't speak for "most" because I don't have that data, and I haven't seen it published, so I question whether it's available for anyone here.

However, I can speak for myself. I'm a BMW owner (M3) and I can say that the first thing I looked at when I decided to shop the small luxury SUV was the BMW X3. I made that decision because my OTHER car was the Lexus RX300, and I considered an X3 to be a good competitor for the 330.

Once I reviewed the X3 and found it lacking at its price point, I began to look around at better value and gas mileage. I looked at the CX-7 (and CX-9) seriously because of feature fit for the price.

I've already talked about how floored I was when I found the RDX after already driving and being very close to purchase of a CX-7. The differences to me are too many to discuss. Suffice to say that I had shopped the X3, the LR2/3, and the Lexus 330 before moving into the RDX arena.

I doubt that my experience is a single point, especially since Acura has made no private issue of the fact that it considers the X3 to be prime competition for the RDX.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Instructor

Also, Motor Trend must see some similarities in the CX-7 shopper and the RDX shopper, too, because they've done at least one shootout comparison featuring both vehicles. (Of course, the RDX won!) Can't blame Acura for working the market upwards from the CX-7 segment, because that $3000 isn't that big of a barrier for a substantial move upward (in my opinion.)
Old 10-27-2007, 10:36 PM
Cruisin'

Hmmm...I owned a BMW before I purchased my RDX. I don't think you can make blanket statements about "Most of the people that buy BMW's don't even consider Acura."
Old 10-27-2007, 11:01 PM
B A N N E D

BMW's clientele speaks for itself, most of the people that want a 5 series don't settle for an Acura, or even THINK of the RL, Acura is Value, if anyone chooses an Acura over a BMW it's manly going to be because of "price"( I see absolutely no reason to not go for an 335 Over a TL, only price.). Few choose for other reasons. Reliability is a not a big issue because most people lease these types of Vehicles, and don't really care when they get the "best", because as we can ALL see people still buy BMW's no matter how unreliable or overpriced the next person might say it is.

I was floored when I found the CX-7, it truly is the best thing that crosses over(as all the mags say). It combines SUV ride height with a firm enough ride, and excellent looks and high modifiability. It's a standard setter in handling, braking, acceleration, performance and looks. In the class its in of course.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:09 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good info there, Darth. Not too suprising. I checked out an X3 before the RDX and after too when the 2007 X3s came out with the improved engine. ... I was much more impressed with the RDX.
I don't think many that think BMW or Acura give much thought to the mazduh. I do think the reverse is true...people that are looking at Mazduh probably look at the Acura and if they can afford it, of course they go Acura.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:17 AM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

I beat my RDX like a rental car and I've had no problems in almost a year.

Your statement is ridiculous and uninformed. I'm looking for a sport sedan right now. I have on my list BMW 535/550, Acura RL, Infiniti M45( currently in 1st place), Cadilliac CTS/STS, Lexus GS.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:42 AM
B A N N E D

You're what, one person? MOST of the customers that drives BMW's (NOT previous Acura owners, it's only normal that an Acura owner would cross shop an Acura with the others) Just don't even bother to cross shop, they've always driven BMW's and always will. The RL's sales numbers speak for themselves( Five hundred Last month ).
Old 10-28-2007, 03:52 AM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by XIS
Good info there, Darth. Not too suprising. I checked out an X3 before the RDX and after too when the 2007 X3s came out with the improved engine. ... I was much more impressed with the RDX.
I don't think many that think BMW or Acura give much thought to the mazduh. I do think the reverse is true...people that are looking at Mazduh probably look at the Acura and if they can afford it, of course they go Acura.

Just to be clear, we're talking about RELIABILITY with the latest data, and to a lessor extent, consumer satisfaction. Now, the RDX may or may not be more impressive than the X3, CX7, etc. But, one thing is clear, it is more reliable than either vehicle.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:15 AM
Instructor

AP

Can you provide a web reference that supports what you are saying about BMW owners and those who are contemplating purchase of an Acura vs. BMW? I'd like to see the facts upon which you're basing your statements.

Also, we ARE talking about the RDX vs. the CX-7 vs. the X3 vs (LR2, MKX, etc. etc.) here, right? NOT the CX-9 vs. the MDX. Maybe they'd like to hear your stories about the CX-9 over in the MDX forum (if there is one yet.) It might be more useful to stick to the discussion of these vehicles instead of diverting to the CX-9.

I'd settle, though, just for your web references to the BMW shopper vis-a-vis the Acura search.

Thanks in advance.

-AR
Old 10-28-2007, 07:30 AM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
if anyone chooses an Acura over a BMW it's manly going to be because of "price"( I see absolutely no reason to not go for an 335 Over a TL, only price.).
that is quite the statement, maybe some ppl are just smart and look for the cheapest price for the features they feel they want/need? ever even consider that? just because you have money doesnt mean you have to waste it.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 702 Likes on 544 Posts
BMWs are more expensive, less reliable, and cost more to maintain when compared to Honda/Toyota.
People buy BMWs for the prestige, features, performance, German engineering, but not for its reliability.
If reliability is your top priority, you should go with Lexus or Toyota.
jdpowers report has had Lexus as number one in reliability for many years, BMWs are not even close.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:31 AM
Burning Brakes

i think the porshce cayenne is the best suv =)
Old 10-28-2007, 10:32 AM
XIS
Lizard King

I think the MDX beats the Cayenne... Oh, and I love Porsches too. Pops just bought the 2008 911 with the twin turbo and mom has the "standard" 2006 911.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:34 AM
Burning Brakes

price wise yes... but overall the cayenne puts shame on the mdx imho
Old 10-28-2007, 10:36 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Oh, I don't think so! C&D doesn't either.

Shame?

Shame on you!
Old 10-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

You're what, one person? MOST of the customers that drives BMW's (NOT previous Acura owners, it's only normal that an Acura owner would cross shop an Acura with the others) Just don't even bother to cross shop, they've always driven BMW's and always will. The RL's sales numbers speak for themselves( Five hundred Last month ).

I've had numerous BMWs and have been a member of Bimmerfest.com for over 5 years, I make the yearly pilgrimage to Santa Barbara for the 'fest and have done so for over 5 years. I have many friends from the site and we meet regularly - mostly at restaruants in So Cal to talk about many things, but mostly BMW's. I forgot more about BMW's and BMW owners than you know.
The majority of people you see driving BMWs are first time owners who squeaked into a lease because it was "only" $20 more a mo than car XXXX thanks to the BMW subsidy. You could go to Bob Smith right now and get a stripper model 3er for about the same lease payment as a many other things in the class even though the window sticker is more $.

Me thinks you are waaaay off base and give other, more reasonable Acura owners a bad reputation with your sweeping generalizations.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:04 PM
Not an Ashtray

Well, I know that I looked at the 325 before buying the TSX. I thought it was lightyears behind in handling, but I was concerned about the small size of the trunk (I have an active lifesytle, need a big trunk for hauling sports equipment). And, that year, it was below average reliablity according to CR.

Now, that I've decided to look at mini-SUVs, I've test driven the CX-7, RDX, X3, and RAV V6. I'm waiting to see what the EX35 is like, and then I will decide.

So, I do think it is silly generalization to say that potential BMW buyer don't consider Acura. In fact, I think those two vehicles and the EX35 are natural competition.

About the CX-9: I agree that most of us will not cross shop that vehicle (I know I won't). But, I think the crappy reliability across the entire Mazda line is noteworthy, and should put the nail in the coffin of anybody who is even considering a CX-7.

One final point in this fairly silly conversatoin is my local Acura dealer has a lot filled with Beemers and A4's that people traded in.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
BMWs are more expensive, less reliable, and cost more to maintain when compared to Honda/Toyota.
Except BMW maintenance is free for the first 4 years.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:09 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by cwepruk
The difference in "maintenance" between the Acura and Beemer during the first four years purely relates to oil changes and wear items. In the case of the Acura, that does not amount to a whole lot more than $30 Oil changes twice a year (I'm talking about what Acura recommends, not what the dealer wants you to do). Both warranties cover all other major repairs.

I would also have to say that "free coverage" does not make me feel any better about having to show up late for work because my car needed to go to the dealer again.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:28 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by darth62
Well, I know that I looked at the 325 before buying the TSX. I thought it was lightyears behind in handling, but I was concerned about the small size of the trunk (I have an active lifesytle, need a big trunk for hauling sports equipment). And, that year, it was below average reliablity according to CR.

Now, that I've decided to look at mini-SUVs, I've test driven the CX-7, RDX, X3, and RAV V6. I'm waiting to see what the EX35 is like, and then I will decide.

So, I do think it is silly generalization to say that potential BMW buyer don't consider Acura. In fact, I think those two vehicles and the EX35 are natural competition.

About the CX-9: I agree that most of us will not cross shop that vehicle (I know I won't). But, I think the crappy reliability across the entire Mazda line is noteworthy, and should put the nail in the coffin of anybody who is even considering a CX-7.
Where do you get this from besides CR? You need more than one source. The CX-7 still sales better, given it had lots of first year kinks, the survey samples too small of a group, so I don't care about it and future owners will take it under consideration, but won't base a purchase off it.

One final point in this fairly silly conversatoin is my local Acura dealer has a lot filled with Beemers and A4's that people traded in.
You get your Mazda reliability ratings purely from 1.2 million people, that subscribe to Crap Reports, I don't know if they list how many CX-9 owners they survey, but the only time I will base reliability of a brand in its entirety is if 90 percent of the owners are surveyed with STANDARDIZED surveys.

Again the only really valid reason to pick an Acura over a BMW is price.

The RDX is giving people a reason to cross shop(purely the price, again, If the price was higher or even near the BMW no one would want the RDX), but people who want a BMW don't want to drive in some FWD Acura, they want RWD Performance, prestige, not some gussied up FWD Honda.

Mazda tops reliability survey
Old 10-28-2007, 01:52 PM
Not an Ashtray

You get your Mazda reliability ratings purely from 1.2 million people, that subscribe to Crap Reports, I don't know if they list how many CX-9 owners they survey, but the only time I will base reliability of a brand in its entirety is if 90 percent of the owners are surveyed with STANDARDIZED surveys.

The RDX is giving people a reason to cross shop(purely the price, again, If the price was higher or even near the BMW no one would want the RDX), but people who want a BMW don't want to drive in some FWD Acura, they want RWD Performance, prestige, not some gussied up FWD Honda.

Actually, CR's ratings correlate nicely with warranty claims. So, they're a pretty good estimate of actual reliablity.

And, 1.2 million drivers is certainly far from being a drop in the bucket.

Also, the CR survey is "Standardized" and is a staistically valid sample.

The Mazda CX-7 is one of the least reliable vehicles in it's class. that is cold hard fact. You can dispute CR's data as much as you want, but that is those are the best estimates of reliablity out there.

Anyway, its nice that you want to speak for all drivers. However, I did cross-shop the Acura and Beemer. I prefer the Acura, not the least of which is the superior electronics and much beter reliablity. Price has never been my main consideratoin.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:56 PM
Banned

Haha, AbovePrime, I just noticed what's written under your username. You are, indeed!
Old 10-28-2007, 02:03 PM
Not an Ashtray

Oh, and just so everybody knows, this posters' source for reliablity, is Paultan.org, a blog on the Malaysian auto industry:

About Paul Tan

Hi. My name is Paul Tan.

I am in no way affiliated with any branch of the automotive industry here in Malaysia. I’m just a petrolhead who loves cars. Hope you enjoy my blog.

I used to drive a 1996 Proton Satria 1.6GLi upgraded to 1.8 SOHC and I was a member of the Pro-Hatch Enthusiasts, a Malaysian car club for Proton Satria owners. If you drive a Proton Satria, consider heading over to the forum and join the discussion!

I currently drive a 2001 Proton Perdana V6.

I suggest we all ignore the 1.2 million drivers who respond to Consumer Report's surveys, and instead focus on Malyasian blogs, like this troll.

In the meantime, I congratulate you RDX owners for being smart enough to purchase one of the most reliable vehicles in the class. Those reliablity surveys have a major impact on resale value too.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:23 PM
B A N N E D

Oh, and just so everybody knows, this posters' source for reliablity, is Paultan.org, a blog on the Malaysian auto industry:

About Paul Tan

Hi. My name is Paul Tan.

I am in no way affiliated with any branch of the automotive industry here in Malaysia. I’m just a petrolhead who loves cars. Hope you enjoy my blog.

I used to drive a 1996 Proton Satria 1.6GLi upgraded to 1.8 SOHC and I was a member of the Pro-Hatch Enthusiasts, a Malaysian car club for Proton Satria owners. If you drive a Proton Satria, consider heading over to the forum and join the discussion!

I currently drive a 2001 Proton Perdana V6.

I suggest we all ignore the 1.2 million drivers who respond to Consumer Report's surveys, and instead focus on Malyasian blogs, like this troll.
I suggest you to stop being an abrasive a**

CR's Surveys are not %100 accurate, and they are not standarized, which already is a bad way to compare reliability when you do not have a standard way of surveying among brands.

I Suggest you read before you post, you seem to have a real problem with this, I mean your whole response in another thread was based on you thinking that the OP was comparing the CX-7 to the RDX, but if you would have taken the time to read it, you would have saved yourself some time.

The report, which was issued by independent automotive extended-warranty specialists, Warranty Direct, put Mazda vehicles in first place in one of the world's largest-ever reports on vehicle reliability.
Click HERE to read the PDF.
Don't YOU feel like an A**

In the meantime, I congratulate you RDX owners for being smart enough to purchase one of the most reliable vehicles in the class. Those reliablity surveys have a major impact on resale value too.
I'm really glad that you need to come on here and justify everyones purchase, Most of these people leased the RDX, and won't keep it for that long so it doesn't even matter, there has been a fair share of problems among owners and these are things that CR doesn't pick up on, and you don't even know the sample size of the test group they used for the CX-7, you don't know the questions they asked, you just believe what they have to say, and discount all others(like the blogger that posted the results from the LONG TERM reliability test, not some short term ONE year thing from CrapReports). Hmm. They really don't need some report from CR to make themselves feel better about their purchase, they should have felt that when they drove off the lot.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Not an Ashtray

Could you tell me exactly what you mean by "standardized?"

Exactly how is a set series of questions that go to every driver "unstandardized?"

And, I do so know the "questions they asked". I actually completed the survey myself because I am one of the 1.2 million who filled it out. CR does actually have a team of high profile stasticians so I also know for a fact that they require a decent sample for all their analyses. Because I make my living as a stastician (believe it or not, troll, I actually Ph.D. and work as a survey researcher at a university that is very close to what you list as your home), I know their data are rock solid.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Not an Ashtray

You didn't even read what I was writing, because you were too busy trolling. In the other thread, the original poster asked about the RDX and a few other vehicles. You piped in, with your usual moronic comments, about how the CX-7 is a better option. I then countered by pointing out that the CX-7 has crap reliablity.

What a joke. The only response you have is to take cheap potshots like this instead of actually looking at the information.

Oh, and just so everybody knows, the .PDF that this poster is holding up as proof that his Malyasian Auto blog is accurate is a press release from Mazda. A even more compelling source!
Old 10-28-2007, 03:09 PM
Instructor

Let's talk a little about RESALE value:

Just for fun, I ran the following numbers through edmunds.com's True Market Value pricer. Evaluating the resale value of 2007 models, assuming a sale of a vehicle purchased one year ago at model year introduction. For purchase price, I used recent best pricing for BOTH vehicles provided directly from local dealerships. Since these retail prices should, logically, be LOWER than the introduction prices were (owing to inventory clearance), I think it's safe to use these numbers to analyze which vechicle has lost more value in ONE year. (I know, it's not scientific, but neither are actual For Sale By Owner sales.)

Here are the results:

CX-7 see vehicle configuration below.

Purchase Price ($31,500) LESS True Market Value Today ($25,870)
Resale Value Lost YEAR 1 = $5,630 or 17.9%

RDX see vehicle configuration below

Purchase Price ($33,100) LESS True Market Value Today ($30,925)
Resale Value Lost YEAR 1 = $2,175 6.6%

Looks to me like the Mazda CX-7 lost value at THREE TIMES the rate of the RDX!

2007 Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
Electrochromatic Rear View Mirror
Hands-Free Multi-Function Remote w/Keyless Ignition
Navigation System
Bose Audio
Power Glass Sunroof
Anti-Theft Alarm System
Rear View Camera
Universal Remote Transmitter
AM/FM/CD Changer/MP3 Audio System
Color Adjustment Black
Regional Adjustment for Zip Code 90291
Mileage Adjustment 12,000 miles
Condition Adjustment Outstanding

2007 Acura RDX 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology Package (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)
Color Adjustment Black
Regional Adjustment for Zip Code 90291
Mileage Adjustment 12,000 miles
Condition Adjustment Outstanding
Old 10-28-2007, 04:16 PM
B A N N E D

You didn't even read what I was writing, because you were too busy trolling. In the other thread, the original poster asked about the RDX and a few other vehicles. You piped in, with your usual moronic comments, about how the CX-7 is a better option. I then countered by pointing out that the CX-7 has crap reliablity.
YOU said that should "THAT should scrach the CX-7 off the OP's list", IT WAS NEVER ON IT! AND PS I never said the CX-7 was better, I simply said TAKE A LOOK AT IT, THEY BOTH HAVE SPORTY HANDLING AND TURBO 4's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a joke. The only response you have is to take cheap potshots like this instead of actually looking at the information.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Take some of your own advice.

Oh, and just so everybody knows, the .PDF that this poster is holding up as proof that his Malyasian Auto blog is accurate is a press release from Mazda. A even more compelling source!
WTF, The people that took the survey are in no way affilated with the people at that blog so?
http://www.truedelta.com/pieces/newdots.php
http://www.allpar.com/cr.html
That explains it all.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:16 PM
B A N N E D

You can get a GT CX-7 under invoice so that offsets the difference in resale.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:26 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Ikko
Haha, AbovePrime, I just noticed what's written under your username. You are, indeed!
I put it there .
Old 10-28-2007, 05:31 PM
Instructor

You can get a GT CX-7 under invoice so that offsets the difference in resale.
umm... the (very liberal) price I quoted ($31,500) IS UNDER INVOICE price ($32,266 INVOICE PRICE 2007 MAZDA CX-7, Equipped as shown)

Source: Edmunds.com

What's your source for all your claims?
Old 10-28-2007, 06:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 702 Likes on 544 Posts
Originally Posted by cwepruk
I know, you get 4 oil changes, and brake replacement, $500 value, not a big deal.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:59 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by ACURascal
umm... the (very liberal) price I quoted ($31,500) IS UNDER INVOICE price ($32,266 INVOICE PRICE 2007 MAZDA CX-7, Equipped as shown)

Source: Edmunds.com

What's your source for all your claims?
Edmunds.com for these
2007 Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
Trade-In Private Party Dealer Retail
$24,104 $25,694 $27,043
2007 Acura RDX 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology Package (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)
Trade-In
Private Party Dealer Retail
$29,060 $31,008 $32,541

Buying a CX-7 you can get one for $
Buying a RDX you can get one for
$33,998.

Pricing difference from the start $2,796.

After selling, lets say Private party.
CX-7 loses $5,536
RDX loses $2,982
financingthrough the manufacturer for 36 mo.
CX-7 %0.0 - $0 duh
(I THINK)
RDX %2.9 - $
987.21 / 1 year $329.07
Financing depends on the buyers Auto Enahanced FICO score, or the new scoring system from Experian(or whoever they pull, probably Experian or all three). OR the relationship with the finance company.

CX-7 does not have strong resale, the difference is about 2,*** for one year.
Next.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:08 PM
B A N N E D

However, the projected TCO for Five years is 10K lower for the CX-7.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:13 PM
B A N N E D

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/acur...73236/cto.html
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/mazd...92672/cto.html

Mazda wins, next.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Instructor

Wins? Sorry.

By your extremely challenged logic (for lack of a better term for it), we should all go out and buy Toyota RAV4s, because their 5 year TCO is $48,241.

Would you like to try again? Resale value is resale value, and it's one of the most important considerations in buying a new vehicle. Mazda clearly loses in a major way here.

Quick Reply: RDX's main competition off of Consumer Reports' recommended list