RDX vs ZDX

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool RDX vs ZDX

Team,

The ZDX is getting my attention. Sounds like better ride quality (e.g. less harsh, less road noise), more luxury, still with AWD, and still with Acura quality and the benefits of a crossover SUV. I've only seen and read about the on line but so far it sounds very good. I like the look. I can't tell how large it will be--I don't want something as big as the MDX. Price point and other aspects will dictate my ultimate interest. Have others been drawn to this new ride?

Thanks,

Dewey22
Old 09-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes. I like the look overall! Have to see up close, in real life, price, colors, interior room, (mostly rear area!), etc. Probably wouldn't do it unless I can get a GREAT price / trade-in! I love my RDX also, so, we'll see..................
Old 09-22-2009, 11:08 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Saw it at the NYC Autoshow this past spring...nice car, and (in theory) better than the RDX. There is no room in the trunk for anything though, so this is kind of a third/fourth car to have, not very practical as an only car...
Old 09-22-2009, 11:25 PM
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by wrestrepo
Saw it at the NYC Autoshow this past spring...nice car, and (in theory) better than the RDX. There is no room in the trunk for anything though, so this is kind of a third/fourth car to have, not very practical as an only car...

Better than an RDX?? I think that is a matter of opinion! I find it funny that when you google Acura RDX, there are a lot of people that are bashing the RDX due to the new shield. This is only my opinion, but I think the ZDX is not a very nice looking vehicle. Only my opinion though. Might change when I see when in person, but I dont know what Acura was thinking with this one..lol
Old 09-22-2009, 11:25 PM
Racer

ZDX is going to cost $20K more than the RDX. It had better be nicer.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
ZDX is going to cost $20K more than the RDX. It had better be nicer.

LOL...I'll keep the extra 20grand and put it towards a 135i...lol
Old 09-23-2009, 07:22 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by gungho_15
Better than an RDX?? I think that is a matter of opinion! I find it funny that when you google Acura RDX, there are a lot of people that are bashing the RDX due to the new shield. This is only my opinion, but I think the ZDX is not a very nice looking vehicle. Only my opinion though. Might change when I see when in person, but I dont know what Acura was thinking with this one..lol
Although you are right about better being (overall) opinion, because it's really what's "better for me", some actual facts are that the ZDX sits higher in the lineup, is bigger, more powerful and with better equipment and fit and finish than the RDX...If that does not mean "better" to you, that's just fine, but that's what most of the world uses as a standard...
The ZDX is set to compete with the X6, which I don't think it will be able to, they need a lot more engine to do that.
Again, not a car to be a primary vehicle....
Old 09-23-2009, 09:16 AM
Advanced

I thought the ZDX was interesting at first too, but the more I look at it, the more it reminds me of the Pontiac Aztec . Have to see it in person, but doubt I would like it enough to shell out an extra $20K.

Hey Gungho, I was thinking about the 1 series too when they first came out (before I decided it would be better to keep my monies) -- we must be simpatico. Didn't do it because my limited experience with BMW sales is that they're pretentious a-holes, plus I couldn't fit my bike in the back like I can with the RSX .
Old 09-23-2009, 03:01 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
hmmmmmmmmm i wonder where the megamoderator is to shut this thread down...i started one of these threads not to long ago and was told directly that:

"The ZDX thread does not belong in the RDX forum, plain and simple.

I'm leaving the MDX one open because it is more of a comparison of the new MDX to the RDX."

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?

Old 09-23-2009, 03:13 PM
big shot.

my thoughts are that unless the performance of the ZDX comes close the an X6 (which it wont) or an FX, theres really no point to this vehicle, especially at its price, why on earth would someone buy this. You could say, o, well if not for performance, its for luxury, o thats right....when you think luxury and 50k, you think Acura.

zdx is a real oddball vehicle, imo, and the exterior looks like it walked right out of a Honda showroom.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:36 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by MMike1981
hmmmmmmmmm i wonder where the megamoderator is to shut this thread down...i started one of these threads not to long ago and was told directly that:

"The ZDX thread does not belong in the RDX forum, plain and simple.

I'm leaving the MDX one open because it is more of a comparison of the new MDX to the RDX."

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?

Old 09-24-2009, 02:20 PM
2008 Honda Civic Mugen Si

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been interested in the ZDX ever since they announced it. I admit the styling was a bit too much for me at first but, honestly the more I look at it now the more it grows on me and now I think I'm in love with it!

Now if we do get it, it's not going to replace any of our other car. It's just going to be an addition to the family. So I can start using the RDX as my daily driver, the wife using the ZDX as her daily driver, and keep my Mugen Si as a weekend car.

Check out MotorTrend First Test article for a quick review and comparison to the 3.0 X6 and FX35

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...est/index.html

My favorite pic of the ZDX so far

Last edited by PANG-S2; 09-24-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You know, the styling grows on me a bit too, but it has little else to offer over a MDX.

I don't hate the X6/ZDX idea of a sport coupe vehicle, but they base them off their full size SUVs so they are heavy and offer no performance gain over the more pratical version.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:32 PM
big shot.

thats one hefty favorable review. More fun to drive than a BMW? well see how that pans out with other professional opinions.

The performance of the ZDX is pretty respectable....but still pretty far off from bimmers .87 lat g's, and acceleration.

but still, not bad, acura. motor trend seems to give very favorable reviews to Acuras over the past, especially the RDX since it came out....lets see if the ZDX tears the hearts out of C&D bimmer loving history.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Advanced

I was gonna add AMC Eagle to my Aztec comment, but after looking at it again, it's not so bad. Has a minimalism that appeals to me, but still have to see it in person. Wish they would present these vehicles in a color other than silver so you can see some real contrast and definition of the metal accents, etc.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:25 PM

darker color

Old 09-24-2009, 06:00 PM
Advanced

^^ Thanks, but all I see is the white box with red "X" inside. Might be b/c of the security settings on my laptop (work computer - government).
Old 09-24-2009, 06:59 PM

Sorry that links to twitpic thats probably why it doesnt show up anymore.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Pro

Most UBB boards need a jpg file extension (or similar) at the end to show up.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:20 PM

Let's try again...

Old 09-25-2009, 01:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seems like it performs about the same as an RDX with less cargo room and $20K more for a fancier interior. I'll pass.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:42 PM
big shot.

about time that they made a real lux interior tho w/real lux equipment..that, i cannot fault Acura for doing....this is the most real luxury acura has ever made, and i commend them for that, unfortunately it couldnt be debuting in a more pointless vehicle. Imagine if the level of the ZDX came out in a refreshened RL? The new MDX isnt too far off, but this level of refinement and luxury is what acura SHOULD be, in all their cars, and id pay more money for it too, real luxury, with reliability, thats worth a big price increase to me. maybe not 15k, but ive said it before, i wouldnt think twice about plopping down 40k for an RDX with the level of lux found in an MDX. thats all gravy, and itd still be cheaper than the competition. the ZDX, all banged out, is still much less than any competitor...good for acura at delivering some true upmarket stuff and staying away from the mega price inflation of the TSX V6 and the high priced TL SHAWD
Old 09-25-2009, 09:20 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
my thoughts are that unless the performance of the ZDX comes close the an X6 (which it wont) or an FX, theres really no point to this vehicle, especially at its price, why on earth would someone buy this. You could say, o, well if not for performance, its for luxury, o thats right....when you think luxury and 50k, you think Acura.

zdx is a real oddball vehicle, imo, and the exterior looks like it walked right out of a Honda showroom.
Now you are just hating this is the very best Acura has to offer the RDX could learn a lot from this I do not think the RDX is worth the money as it does not excel at anything. I actually talked my fiance out of buying one wanted her to get a MDX she ended up with a CRV. This is no discussion although it my not be practical the ZDX will be 10 times better than the RDX. If you are really an Acura fan why do you trash you beloved brand for trying something brave and actually showing they are capable of making premium vehicles? Ever article I have read thus far seems to like it see temple of vtec for photos from yesterdays press drive in NY and maybe you will change your mind
Old 09-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 87 Posts
Actually, I often find that MMike1981 does bash on Acura (and the RDX in particular) but in this case I really agree with what he has to say. I think that Acura SHOULD be upping their game in terms of luxury materials, fit & finish, features, etc. They have been lagging in this area, so now that their styling is, shall we say, polarizing... their only advantage over competitors is price.

I would definitely pay more (significantly more) for the current Acura lineup if the cars were truly world-class luxury machines. As it is, the questionable styling is driving me to other makes. And while I like the ZDX, I really wish (and hope for the future) that Acura would upgrade ALL of their interiors to this level of refinement...
Old 09-25-2009, 10:03 PM

Like my earlier post, MotorTrend likes it

Jalopnik also loves it

1: http://jalopnik.com/5366814/acura-zd...ic-brown-flesh

2: http://jalopnik.com/5367293/2010-acu...yline=true&s=i

USA Today also give positive review

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...x_N.htm?csp=34

And Automobile Magazine gives another thumbs up

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...acura_zdx.html

I can't wait to see it in the flesh!!! Way to go Acura I think you guys have a winner here!
Old 09-25-2009, 10:29 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by DJ Iceman
Actually, I often find that MMike1981 does bash on Acura (and the RDX in particular) but in this case I really agree with what he has to say. I think that Acura SHOULD be upping their game in terms of luxury materials, fit & finish, features, etc. They have been lagging in this area, so now that their styling is, shall we say, polarizing... their only advantage over competitors is price.

I would definitely pay more (significantly more) for the current Acura lineup if the cars were truly world-class luxury machines. As it is, the questionable styling is driving me to other makes. And while I like the ZDX, I really wish (and hope for the future) that Acura would upgrade ALL of their interiors to this level of refinement...
"Bashing" as you call it, more like being critical, is a right that all of us have, especially if we own the vehicle we are critical of. Exercising that right does not imply or mean that you don't like the brand or car. I do it all the time to my Saab and RDX, it has been a love/hate relationship from the beginning for both cars...
Old 09-26-2009, 12:25 AM
big shot.

first of all....not one post that i write on here, on the entire board, am i trying to BASH the brand, or a particular vehicle. I OWN THE FING THING, that being said..

westpro hit the nail on the head...and im not gonna explain myself further. there is a difference between hating on the brand, and just being very critical of it...honda motor company has been getting my money since i earned my right to drive....i have a right to be critical, and have been a loyal customer.

as for mikeyred...whatever buddy. my posts in the entire thread speak for themselves, if you think im hating, ok. just being real. the post you quoted me on, which i wrote before motortrend even released their first drive impression, basically just substantiates everything i said. so. Acura stuck to its guns making it a great value...still doesnt match the performance of the competition. who cares tho, thats not why we buy acuras anyways, at least most of us - however, the RDX is a gem in the performance category, and our truck, actually, i think outperforms just about everything in its class
Old 09-26-2009, 01:14 AM
Pro

I will speak up for MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMike.

He is honest, like myself. I've argued with him over the turbo 4 in an SUV, yet a V6 in a TSX. But if you want a fair apples to apples comparison, leave out the MDX and everything Acura makes is in no man land between crappy Toyota's and much better Infiniti's (+more).

The RDX and MDX are the best Acura has to offer. Only the MDX is anywhere near top of the class.

On this note, I am not brand loyal at all, but I would be more than happy to buy the same brand as my previous purchase if it was competitive. i.e. If the TL was close to the G37 in price/performance, I'd likely go that way, but it's not.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:35 PM
big shot.

im pumped to get inside the ZDX and feel what its all about....hopefully this isnt a one (model) shot for the brand...but seriously, how great would it be to be able to stick with acura reliability, yet at the same time drive a class leading luxury machine...to me, they have all the ingredients, they just have to start putting them together...id fall over for a next gen RDX that has actual true luxury with the performance, doesnt get any better for me coming from acura.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Advanced

sounds like what the q5 is. except we know it wont be reliable like an rdx. I drove the 2010 rdx and to me its much better than the 09. then I drove the q5 and its no contest. the q5 is in the same category [notice how the mag reviews conveniently dont include the rdx anymore using totally bullshit reasons to exclude it even though it wins every comparison?] but costs 10k more than the rdx for similar equipment. I really hope the next rdx steps up its game because if they cost the same and looks didnt matter who wouldnt take a higher luxury rdx over a q5?
Old 09-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MIKEYDRED
Now you are just hating this is the very best Acura has to offer the RDX could learn a lot from this I do not think the RDX is worth the money as it does not excel at anything. I actually talked my fiance out of buying one wanted her to get a MDX she ended up with a CRV. This is no discussion although it my not be practical the ZDX will be 10 times better than the RDX. If you are really an Acura fan why do you trash you beloved brand for trying something brave and actually showing they are capable of making premium vehicles? Ever article I have read thus far seems to like it see temple of vtec for photos from yesterdays press drive in NY and maybe you will change your mind
How can a vehicle that is less practical, performs the same, and costs more be 10 times better? Luxury bobbles? I miss the Subaru boards where people actually cared about what a car could DO, rather than if it had a freaking power liftgate or some other meaningless luxury item.

The RDX is the only Acura vehicle that is at the top of its class for performance (at least when it was introduced). The new Q5 is the first to give it a go and it is 3 model years newer and costs 20-30% more. The MDX is the only other Acura that comes close, but it has always been a step below the V8 Germans (again with that price gap). The ZDX? Not so much. Similar performance to the now 4 year old MDX. Way outclassed performance-wise by the X6. Why would anyone buy this thing over an MDX? (Same for the X6 over and x5, by the way). To me--its a girl's car. More concerned with primping than kicking ass. That is what I love about the RDX--kick ass tech, great performance, and good practicality with little fluff at a reasonable price. Those have always been the core Acura values (even the NSX had these traits).

Last edited by brizey; 09-27-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:25 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by brizey
To me--its a girl's car. More concerned with primping than kicking ass. That is what I love about the RDX--kick ass tech, great performance, and good practicality with little fluff at a reasonable price.

Ahem. "Girl" here chiming in. I do not think ZDX is a "girl car." Those flared out rear fenders are too macho for my taste. Reminds me of those pick-ups with 4 rear wheels - apparently driven by insecure pindick peabrain rednecks with something to prove when they pull into the trailer park. ZDX would likely appeal to the same type, only with more refined taste, a college degree, a bigger bank account, and a McMansion. So you see, it isn't just "girls" who are interested in "primping" as you call it. This "girl" drives an RSX-S and is also interested in the RDX for the same reasons you cited. You're misogynistic comment leads me to believe that you are intimidated by women (or in your case, "girls") -- rightly so, I'm sure.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:49 AM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

^5 for My homie MMike.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Intermediate

i think the ZDX is just what Acura needs

Acura tries to be the more youthful, progressive luxury brand...and a big part of a car is its image. Image is what killed the minivan. The MDX is acura's best car but like the honda pilot it is loosely based on, the car is driven mostly by suburban moms. Volvo station wagons are uncool because 88% of their drivers are suburban moms. The pilot/mdx are now minivan alternatives.

The ZDX's lack of practicality/third row seat/trunk space is irrelevant for a youg person who only has a girlfriend and may ocasionally need the 2nd row on designated driver duty. It would actually be a benefit because it keeps the car from being adopted by the suburban moms and family people who would otherwise ruin the image.

The only issue is that at $50,000 i would pay 10% more and get the much better performing X6. Unless this came with the toys that would push the X6 to near $70,000 or unless they gave the 300hp V6 a twin turbo...maybe the engine from the future NSX. For its current form they should keep the price around the MDX ($40,000).
Old 09-28-2009, 11:35 AM
big shot.

Why would anyone buy this thing over an MDX? (Same for the X6 over and x5, by the way). To me--its a girl's car. More concerned with primping than kicking ass. That is what I love about the RDX--kick ass tech, great performance, and good practicality with little fluff at a reasonable price. Those have always been the core Acura values (even the NSX had these traits).
usually you make good comments....but seriously, a girls car? no

if the ZDX wins people over, it will be from the INSIDE, OUT (but from motortrend, looks like they love it in AND out)..this is exactly what acura needs (im not saying the vehicle type, nor am i saying the vehicle itself is crucial to the brand) but Acura needs to get knee deep in the lux market and put some real shit on the table. The ZDX is the first step, and a huge step at that. Its a showing to Acura customers, or it is at least to me, that Acura is listening, and is willing to give us some of the things that we've basically been shut out to by the brand unwilling to offer them.

What the ZDX represents, for the brand, means more to me than what the car will actually do, or who actually buys it.

also - yea, the traits that defined Acura worked 15 years ago. In todays market, its not enough that they offer just value, because basically, where is the value in the TL when i can buy an AWD G37 that will blow its doors off @ a similar price, with the same tech. Acuras marketing, position, and concepts are becoming obsolete year after year with the last few models...need proof...V6 TSX, or the SHAWD TL TECH, or better yet the RL - there are so many better vehicles out now, with all of the same technology, and MUCH MORE LUXURY, at basically the same pricing now.

the ZDX is a representation that acura is finally willing to give me a dual moonroof, ventilated seats, suspension settings, a REAL INTERIOR comparable to german vehicles, and luxury features that have never appeared in Acura clothing, till now, and basically at a bit lower price than the relative small group of competitors.

However, the value bullshit, altho relevant, is for the birds imo...Acura can not survive in todays lux market, making rebadged Hondas at prices that infringe on the german makers, while putting out vehicles that really dont perform to the competition or offer comparable lux...at least the ZDX has the luxury to back it up.

To me..the RDX, altho having a sticker that is shorter than the Q5, other than performance, theres nothing in or out that puts it in an upscale market. Im paying 36k +/- for a Honda with a turbo. Some people have a problem with that. Acuras recent vehicles have all taken hits in comparos, falling drastically from their usual top place finishings, yet their sticker prices seem to command a german following. Acuras value equation has been greatly diminished by its 09-10 models. That is a message in of itself. The RDX is a Honda that tells me its an Acura. The ZDX tells me, at least from the interior, that it has no idea who honda is....the outside im waiting to go see it at the dealer. That is the difference, and why the ZDX is important.

Recent comparos have left the RDX out...yea its for a reason...it would be coming in at the bottom of the pack, even with its top of the line performance. The RDX just does not fit in the same category as a Q5, GLK, X3 etc...im sorry. Performance, yes, it does all day, everything else....its not even on the radar, imo, it just has trouble competing in all other aspects tested. I think its akin to throwing a Rav4 V6 into a GLK, X3, EX, Volvo, comparo...it could fit, but why bother (i will take flack for this last paragraph, but thats just how I view our great RDX...mighty in performance, lackluster in just about everything else)
Old 09-28-2009, 01:01 PM
Pro

there is a difference between hating on the brand, and just being very critical of it
Mike and I pretty much see eye-to-eye on the quality issue with the RDX on another thread.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:15 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
How can a vehicle that is less practical, performs the same, and costs more be 10 times better? Luxury bobbles? I miss the Subaru boards where people actually cared about what a car could DO, rather than if it had a freaking power liftgate or some other meaningless luxury item.

The RDX is the only Acura vehicle that is at the top of its class for performance (at least when it was introduced). The new Q5 is the first to give it a go and it is 3 model years newer and costs 20-30% more. The MDX is the only other Acura that comes close, but it has always been a step below the V8 Germans (again with that price gap). The ZDX? Not so much. Similar performance to the now 4 year old MDX. Way outclassed performance-wise by the X6. Why would anyone buy this thing over an MDX? (Same for the X6 over and x5, by the way). To me--its a girl's car. More concerned with primping than kicking ass. That is what I love about the RDX--kick ass tech, great performance, and good practicality with little fluff at a reasonable price. Those have always been the core Acura values (even the NSX had these traits).
The ZDX has better quality than RDX it is not supposed to be practical. I am sticking by my statement the RDX does not do anything eye opening especially the interior quality. Do get me wrong though it's an Acura so if I had a choice between anything else in that class I would probally buy it (for the record I do not like that class of vehicles, however the Q5 does look nice).
Old 09-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Agent70
Ahem. "Girl" here chiming in. I do not think ZDX is a "girl car." Those flared out rear fenders are too macho for my taste. Reminds me of those pick-ups with 4 rear wheels - apparently driven by insecure pindick peabrain rednecks with something to prove when they pull into the trailer park. ZDX would likely appeal to the same type, only with more refined taste, a college degree, a bigger bank account, and a McMansion. So you see, it isn't just "girls" who are interested in "primping" as you call it. This "girl" drives an RSX-S and is also interested in the RDX for the same reasons you cited. You're misogynistic comment leads me to believe that you are intimidated by women (or in your case, "girls") -- rightly so, I'm sure.
I agree the ZDX is NOT a girlie car. It screams testosterone; not that a woman wouldn’t be well suited to drive it as well. Girlie cars to me are the likings of Volkswagan Passat, Beetle, etc. PS. I think that’s pretty cool you drive an RSX Type-S. I too had a 2002 RSX Type-S but traded up to a 2003 CL Type-S and now a 2008 RDX which I adore.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX
I think that’s pretty cool you drive an RSX Type-S.
Thanks. Think I might have been a little too hard on Brizey, though -- high octane coffee + no food = crazy biotch on wheels. Please forgive, Brizey -- I'm usually not so touchy. :wink:

I've got the itch to get an RDX this minute, but I know I'd feel like an indulgent pig since I've only had the RSX about 3.5 years and it has less than 16K miles on it. Gonna wait for the full model change in 2 or 3 years (or try to wait anyway -- wish me luck!).
Old 09-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Agent70
Thanks. Think I might have been a little too hard on Brizey, though -- high octane coffee + no food = crazy biotch on wheels. Please forgive, Brizey -- I'm usually not so touchy. :wink:

I've got the itch to get an RDX this minute, but I know I'd feel like an indulgent pig since I've only had the RSX about 3.5 years and it has less than 16K miles on it. Gonna wait for the full model change in 2 or 3 years (or try to wait anyway -- wish me luck!).
IMHO I wouldn't wait too long if you are truly conciderng a new RDX. The RSX, as awesome as it is, is a discontinued model making it depreciate fast. On your side is the low mileage and the fact it's a Type-S. If you want to get into a new Acura ride; now is the best time to deal on a 2009 model as 2010 are just starting to flow in.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: RDX vs ZDX