RDX vs RX350

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX vs RX350

I know most of you have compared the RDX with CX7, Murano or FX35. I am wondering whether anyone did compare the Lexus 350 before purchasing the RDX

RDX vs RX350

I know manufacturers and most consumers would compare RX350 to MDX. But base on the comparison, RDX is very compatible to the RX350. And $$$ cheaper with lot more standard features too. What do you think ?
Old 11-06-2006, 02:51 PM
Missin my TSX =(

100% agreed... my dad wanted to get that for me first... but i said... its a v6... more gas... i didnt like the look of it... too high off the ground... and with all the options it was running high 40s so i was like nahhh dad... lol
Old 11-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Look

Originally Posted by chyllintsx
100% agreed... my dad wanted to get that for me first... but i said... its a v6... more gas... i didnt like the look of it... too high off the ground... and with all the options it was running high 40s so i was like nahhh dad... lol
Lexus didn't change the look of the RX3XX since the first generation !

In terms of size, it is only 5 inches longer than RDX. I really they are compatible vehicles. But I guess Lexus's prices are going more towards to MB/BMW directions !
Old 11-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Advanced

huh? they did a complete makeover a few years back. Its a sharp lookin SUV imo. Not as sporty as the RDX, but they target different markets. The price does dictate different target markets to crossshop the cars, so the RX with the 18" wheels and nav inside is a damn nice car. Again, if you want sportscar like performance, go with the RDX. If you want good straight line grunt and a better build inside and luxury touches, go RX. The resale on the RX would be better as well.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by s4iscool
huh? they did a complete makeover a few years back. Its a sharp lookin SUV imo. Not as sporty as the RDX, but they target different markets. The price does dictate different target markets to crossshop the cars, so the RX with the 18" wheels and nav inside is a damn nice car. Again, if you want sportscar like performance, go with the RDX. If you want good straight line grunt and a better build inside and luxury touches, go RX. The resale on the RX would be better as well.
better build quality and luxury in the RX? That's debatable, especially if you have the Tech package. I'm not sure on the resale comment, Acura and Lexus have always both had great resale, but how can you comment on the resale of a vehicle that came out 2 months ago?
Old 11-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Dennis

I didn't test drive the RX350 because it cost more than I was willing to spend. But by reputation, the ride of the RX is luxury-car smooth rather than sports-car exciting. Depends on what you're looking for.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I think they are very different vehicles that aim at very different markets. To me, the Lexus RX is a very feminine vehicle. It is aimed at women who want to buy an SUV that is stylish (OK, that is debatable! LOL) and luxurious. On the otherhand, the RDX is very much aimed at urban young professional men who want to have a sporty SUV that performs like a sports sedan, and a high-tech vehicle with the latest tech toys.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:28 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tested an RX before getting the RDX and thought it was just too boring. It was a very nice vehicle, with a lot of nice features, but it was not as fun to drive as the RDX. The RX ride was very smooth - made me feel like I was driving my grandfather's car. Plus the wood trim made it feel even more like it was for the retired crowd, no option for different trim unless you opt for the hybrid for even more $$$.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:59 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Well Lexus seems to consider the RDX as a competitor. If you go to the Lexus website and click on "Competitive Comparison" while looking at the RX, the RDX is on a list of eight vehicles that Lexus considers key competitors of the RX.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:42 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Rx

huh? they did a complete makeover a few years back.
Yes, sorry, my typo, I should have said it didn't change. The overall change was so minor.

Yes, the wood trim makes it so old style
Old 11-06-2006, 11:17 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by omgacuralol
better build quality and luxury in the RX? That's debatable, especially if you have the Tech package. I'm not sure on the resale comment, Acura and Lexus have always both had great resale, but how can you comment on the resale of a vehicle that came out 2 months ago?
Yes better build quality, int materials, and more luxury touches (led lights, memory seats, etc) drive them back to back, and its quite clear to me. Sorry to say that about the RDX on an acura site, but id say many outside of here would agree. Vaultlike (read quiet, solid...but boring) ride in the RX, where my test drive in the RDX was filled with at least 3 different rattle points and the overall "feel" was less solid...that was understandable with the sportier ride/suspension. With that said, the difference in japanese build quality vs the american RDX is definitely noticable.

How can i predict resale value? Just look at the rdx's current sales vs. the RX's when it first came out. You were lucky to get a small discount on the RX, there was a long wait, and in general Lexus sales are/were stronger...and sadly have a more "luxury" image on par with MB and BMW (dont read into that, not saying all these cars are better, but the average person lumps these 3 together as "luxury"), but the RDX you can already get for just a few % over invoice and its only been out 2 months. By nature, the RX has a larger target market by being a more generic car, as opposed to the RDX which aims at a more niche market. Those are variables that lead me to believe the Lexus will have better resale. Feel free to disagree, these are just my personal observations. Im still here reading this forum, because i havent ruled it off my next car list as I like a lot of things about it.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally would consider the new MDX a closer competitor to the RX, and IMO, the MDX owns. Also, that thing has looked like a turd on wheels since it first came out some odd years ago.

Mike
Old 11-06-2006, 11:54 PM
Instructor

Yes better build quality, int materials, and more luxury touches (led lights, memory seats, etc) drive them back to back, and its quite clear to me.
Fair enough, although some would consider the bluetooth, navi, HID, backup camera, etc luxury touches as well, several of which are only available in the most expensive RX350, costing just shy of $65,000 (cdn). Which makes me wonder why theyre even comparing the two, wouldnt a better comparison be to the RX330? Even then the Lexus is still nearly 10k more than a base RDX.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:55 AM
Missin my TSX =(

Originally Posted by acurardx
Lexus didn't change the look of the RX3XX since the first generation !

In terms of size, it is only 5 inches longer than RDX. I really they are compatible vehicles. But I guess Lexus's prices are going more towards to MB/BMW directions !

which is y i didnt buy it lol i mean i love the gadgets, but i like the money in mah wallet more lol
Old 11-09-2006, 09:22 AM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I agree the RX is more comparable to the MDX, in which case for the $$ I feel the MDX wins.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:24 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Agree. The RX is MDX competition, not RDX. And I don't understand how some people see the Infiniti FX as competition for the RDX, either. That too is in the MDX/RX category.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:44 AM
Dennis

Yes better build quality, int materials, and more luxury touches (led lights, memory seats, etc) drive them back to back, and its quite clear to me. Sorry to say that about the RDX on an acura site, but id say many outside of here would agree. Vaultlike (read quiet, solid...but boring) ride in the RX, where my test drive in the RDX was filled with at least 3 different rattle points and the overall "feel" was less solid...that was understandable with the sportier ride/suspension. With that said, the difference in japanese build quality vs the american RDX is definitely noticable.:
Personally, I wouldn't consider most of the differences you cite between the RX350 and the RDX to have anything to to with build quality or where the vehicle was put together. The materials, the luxury features and the ride reflect the design goals of the maker. The RDX's design leans more towards performance and the RX350's toward comfort and they were designed to sell at different price points. I would fully expect a more expensive vehicle to have better materials and more luxury features. But, again, I don't see how this could be an issue of quality construction or have anything at all to do with Japanese vs. American assembly.

You mention rattles on your test drive and I would consider that to be an issue of build quality. But, luckily perhaps, I haven't heard a single untoward noise on my RDX or any of the ones that I test drove.

As an aside, when I met my wife, she was driving a VW Rabbit from the first year of American assembly. Now THAT was and example of poor build quality. She had to get towed into the shop 12 times during the first year she owned it (and, unfortunately, before New York State had passed it's lemon laws). I nicknamed the car "Rolling Garbage". None of the people I've known that had German-built Rabbit of that era had any such problems.