RDX vs. MDX (buyer's remorse?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 04:58 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snow, winter performance

Heard someone say rdx has poor performance in potholes, mdx is bigger more powerful, so is it safe to conclude the mdx is better for New England winters, storms, safety in bad weather, the rdx better is more ideal driving on dry well-maintained roads?
Appreciate all the details you can offer.
Thanks
Old 03-03-2015, 09:26 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by rdxormdxsnow
Heard someone say rdx has poor performance in potholes, mdx is bigger more powerful, so is it safe to conclude the mdx is better for New England winters, storms, safety in bad weather, the rdx better is more ideal driving on dry well-maintained roads?
Appreciate all the details you can offer.
Thanks
What do you mean by poor performance in potholes? Is ride comfort on rough roads what you are referring to?

If so, then most would probably say agree that the MDX is smoother, but that depends somewhat on which generation of RDX you are comparing it to (1st gen has a stiffer sport suspension while the 2nd gen is smoother).

Bigger and more powerful doesn't necessarily mean better. Neither are designed for true off-roading. The SH-AWD system performs amazingly in both.

We had ice and snow last week (happens occasionally here), and I just had to take the RDX out to play. 4wd pickups were slipping and sliding everywhere, while my little RDX just zipped right by them!
Old 03-03-2015, 09:39 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,201 Posts
I've been living with my MDX for +1 yr and my RDX for +5 yrs and here are the Pros/Cons for me:

08 RDX tech (Hondata, ETS intercooler, Hondata heatshield gasket, eibach springs, Progress RSB, KYB struts/shocks, Conti DWS tires)

Pros:
- faster acceleration than the MDX, TQ is there instead of building up like in the MDX
- less power loss at higher altitudes because of the turbo (avg 5000ft, max 11,000ft, turbo kicks arse)
- much better road feel, for some that would translate to a stiffer ride
- about 2 mpg better overall in combined mpgs
- much better 360 degree visibility. Bigger green house with lower dash/window sills and more flush headrests for rear view mirror.
- better back-up lights and camera
- little bit more leg room for me at 6'3"
- shorter, easier to drive and park (more interior room than my TSX; but, smaller foot print overall)
- easier to be "one" with the car
- never got below 17 mpg in straight city driving
- I can open the rear hatch in my garage without having to open the garage door
- plenty of space/comfort as a daily commuter, hauling the buddies around for lunch, or Saturday Costco errands
- easy to access item in hatch from behind 2nd row seat, easy to put 2nd row down for flat surface to haul stuff
- I like the standard rear hatch shelf, it fits perfectly on hatch floor when not needed.
- lower cost per mile to operate compared to my MDX
- my choice as the around town vehicle
- I can drive the RDX harder than the TSX because of the turbo+sh-awd.
- accelerator+curve+sh-awd+turbo=sporty sedan feel

Cons:
- more road noise than my MDX and TSX
- no rear heat or A/C vents like MDX
- mostly fwd bias sh-awd, you have to push the RDX pretty hard to get the "sh" to kick in to the 30%-50% range
- I never got the mpgs above 22 mpg on straight hwy
- a little tight for +3 and gear on longer trips (needed roof rack+trailer hitch)
- no front passenger seat adjustment on my model (no power, forward/back, lean up/down)
- 5AT can sometimes hurt acceleration because it sometimes won't downshift at certain speeds, 6AT would be perfect for this car
- coasting+curve=top heavy SUV feel, need to be on power to get the max from the RDX
- 1,500 lbs tow limit

11 MDX Adv/Ent (HeelToe stage II brake kit, 20" Conti DWS tires)

Pros:
- smoother ride, for some that would translate to a more isolated ride
- more comfort/room, lots of cup holders, plush seats, softer materials, heat/cooled front seats, quiet on hwy
- more tech (granted it is an Adv model compared to RDX tech)
- higher hwy mpgs compared to RDX on roads by 1-2 mpgs
- more interior space for 4 folks and up to 7 in a pinch
- best bang for the buck handling, room, and performance full size SUV out there
- looks more mature and expensive
- full power 6-way passenger seat
- heat and A/C vents in rear, rear seat heaters, rear seats recline
- power builds up gradually with the V-6
- sh-awd is more rear bias and it kicks in all the time at almost every turn of the wheel. I think the MDX sh-awd set-up has the best programming.
- 6AT helps in acceleration and hwy mpgs
- 5000lbs towing, just add hitch/harness
- best vehicle for long hauls in comfort with people and/or stuff. Proper vacation car. I've taken it from mountains to beach and everywhere in-between.

Cons:
- less 360 degree visibility because it is longer, wider and higher rear head rests. Blind spot radar really helps in the MDX
- huge 2nd row head rests
- a little less leg room for me in the front
- HIDs not as bright as my RDX or TSX
- have to open garage door to get into the rear hatch
- harder to access behind 2nd row, 2nd row doesn't lay flat
- a lot of effort to put up/down 3rd row for 4'11" wife
- worst mpgs in 100% city driving, 14-15 mpgs average
- gas pump always clicks off early and I still have room for 4-5 gallons more
- careful with parking spots because it is so wide, door dings from others
- back up camera/lights are one step above to next to nothing
- still a +4600lbs top heavy SUV, can't push as hard as the RDX in the curves in the same situations

The perfect solution would be to take the MDX Adv tech and put it into my RDX for the 99% solution. For now, I have to pick between the two depending on my needs are in/out the city limits.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:10 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35

Pros:
- never got below 17 mpg in straight city driving

Cons:
- I never got the mpgs above 22 mpg on straight hwy
Strange, I get average 16-17 mixed.

On straight highway, I was able to break 24Mpg. However with the mixed driving and highway trip back. I averaged 23.5 over about 300 mile trip.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:34 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by Nachtsturm
Strange, I get average 16-17 mixed.

On straight highway, I was able to break 24Mpg. However with the mixed driving and highway trip back. I averaged 23.5 over about 300 mile trip.
I noticed my combined mpgs went up with Hondata+ETS intercooler. The hwy speed limit is 75 mph and I'm usually around 80-83 mph on the hwy. Some parts of the pan handle of TX outside of El Paso, the speed limit is 80 mph (I'm about 85-90 mph down there). I know I could get +24 mpg in my MDX and RDX if I kept the speed down to 65-70 mph.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:17 PM
FLETCH

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts
I was out in the Sparta storm system and drove 4.5 hours through the peak of the storm. I had no issues except with others inability to drive. on average there was 3-8 inches of snow more to the south. started the trip in pa ended in Maryland.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:48 PM
Advanced

Funny! Just found this Thread, once in a while I found myself thinking on a MDX for the well known reasons, then this morning a friend and mechanic, offered me a trade: his 2007 MDX, for my 2007 RDX, both base, he said he really miss the handling of the smaller RDX, he switched to the larger because of his family, but he didn't enjoy it at all, so he was ready for an even trade, I was thinking how happy I am with the RDX, but still felt a little attracted to the MDX, then found this thread, read every post and decided to keep the RDX, no need for more cargo space, no third row seats, no lower fuel average.
And no more MDX wishing either.
Thanks guys, this comes in the exact moment to put my feet on ground.
A last thing about the turbo lag ( non noticeable on mine ) : for the last week I am driving my brother's 2012 A4 Audi, 1.8 Turbo, this car reaally has a pronounced turbo lag, annoying, I am missing the RDX, the only plus on the car is more comfortable for my mother and uncle and easy to step in and out, and the mileage is better, but not a reason to keep the Audi.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:01 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by Motomano
I am missing the RDX, the only plus on the car is more comfortable for my mother and uncle and easy to step in and out
This is the same issue I have with my +75 yr old mom and mom in-law. The MDX has more room; but, both my mom and mom in-law can't use the MDX without me helping them in/out because it is too tall. I even have the side steps on the MDX and they still can't get in/out on their own. The RDX is at the perfect height where they just have to slide in/out.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:13 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrgold35
This is the same issue I have with my +75 yr old mom and mom in-law. The MDX has more room; but, both my mom and mom in-law can't use the MDX without me helping them in/out because it is too tall. I even have the side steps on the MDX and they still can't get in/out on their own. The RDX is at the perfect height where they just have to slide in/out.
Mom is 85, Her older sibling is one month short of 89, so even the RDX is difficult for them, the A4 is easier because of the height, but still he needed help to go in and out, the RDX rear doors are wider than the car, today I drove the RDX after 9 days on the Audi everywhere, yes the suspension is firmer but the taller view I like and the handling is at the same level than any German vehicle I can tell now. The best part, no more MDX wishing! Neither A4...
Old 03-14-2015, 10:27 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just bought a RDX for my wife , on monday
Finally it's WAY more enjoyable to drive than my RAM !!

ordering the hondata in the next weeks for more power ...
Old 05-02-2015, 09:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
I traded my 03 MDX for an 07 RDX. I have driven the RDX 305k trouble free miles, but every day I missed my MDX, the ride was mostly what I missed. I drive 700/week, so comfort means more to me that zippy handling. I have a Porsche 911, when I need to carve a canyon. Getting to work in comfort was my need. The seats in the MDX were MUCH more comfortable. Knee and back surgery and age has put me into the position of needing a high level of comfort, so Tuesday I paid cash for a 15 TLX, my 10th Honda Motor Company car.
I have logged 1.6 million Honda miles in 38 years. I traded a 1992 Legend for the MDX, it has 458k miles.
My advice is follow your heart, get what you really want and spend less time worrying about the price.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:04 PM
mrgold35

My RDX can be a rough ride compared to my MDX (not that far behind you in age). The MDX would be better in comfort; but, it wouldn't help you much in the mpg area since you put that many miles on per year. A 2.4L TLX is the way to go. Depending on trim level you selected, a used RLX would have been very close in price, mpgs, and way up on comfort. I'm waiting for used sport hybrid sh-awd RLX with about 30,000 miles to start coming off lease in a few years. I figure they should be about the same price or cheaper than a brand new TLX V-6 sh-awd Adv or tech in 2018-2020.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:38 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm coming off a Ridgeline -- which is really the same size as an MDX. Driving that thing in the city got more and more difficult for me. Just too big 98% of the time.

I wanted a smaller vehicle for the milage, agility, and ease of getting around in traffic.

I got an RDX and am very, very happy with it.

One thing that got me to the RDX is so many people on the web kept calling it the "Goldie Locks Car", because it is just the right size. I agree.

The MDX is bigger. Period. And, bigger is not better in my experience. I may have to be a little more efficient in packing for long trips, but that's something I can deal with. Driving a barge around in the city was something I got tired of dealing with.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:30 AM
Advanced

The one thing which keeps me thinking on the trade, is the cargo space, despite 90% of the time me and my wife travels alone, a few days back I needed all the space available, folding the rear seats, but at least I could load everything my wife wanted to bring to the summer house, then when we were about to leave, this guy the MDX owner, his parents next door neighbors to my Mother's showed in his small truck, watched us, and approaching told me the offer was still on, and in our way back to Guadalajara by the end of the month, he would leave me the MDX as long as I wanted for a test, no need to say wife is willing for the trade, but as Desert Ridge mentioned it's a bigger vehicle and sometimes it is not the best, I am happy with the RDX size, and I could solve the scant situations where I need more cargo space with a top carrier, once installed the rails. The handling and boost from the turbo got me! The front rotors upgrade got rid of the annoying pulsing under heavy braking, last week Acura Guadalajara Dealership fixed 3 minor details, so I guess I will refuse the trade once more...
Old 08-24-2015, 05:17 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX
I purchased my 2008 RDX about three months ago. Don’t take me wrong, I absolutely love everything about it. But, on the other hand I could have driven off the lot in a 2008 MDX for a mere $5K more! I am seeing more and more MDXs on the road compared to RDXs. I’m having a little bit of buyer’s remorse thinking “should I have gotten the MDX instead”?

Granted, the RDX has all the space and convenience I need, drives well and is sporty, but the MDX would have been more luxurious. Anyone have similar feelings?
Bought a RDX new in 2010, so much fun, my friend bought a 2010 MDX, i've driven it too, it's O.K. in my opinion but much bigger, doesn't handle as well and really is not an enthusiasts SUV. Plus the RDX is fun to modify and responds well to mods, good choice.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:54 AM
Cruisin'

Granted I have had mine since last night but I have no regrets. The 2010 RDX AWD we bought replaced my wifes 2006 Honda Pilot EX-RES (MDX).

The Pilot was a great great truck, full stop. 238k miles and the only major issue was a spark plug arcing to the block and blowing its hole out, probably my fault for not cranking it down enough, I helicoiled it and it was fine. We traded it last night with 238k miles on it...other things went but it's to be expected. Radiator, starter, alternator, etc.

I grew to not like the Pilot because it was so big, and thirsty, and excessive (IMO). I will not regret going smaller, and the performance is much better all around on the RDX. She wanted something bigger ideally, we have 2 kids and they have friends.

My wife would have liked an MDX, she almost cried when we left the Pilot, she loved that truck, we bought it new. She wasn't sure on the smaller RDX, but after driving it, and at the price we got it for, she is happy.