RDX vs. MDX (buyer's remorse?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 06:18 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
RDX vs. MDX (buyer's remorse?)

I purchased my 2008 RDX about three months ago. Don’t take me wrong, I absolutely love everything about it. But, on the other hand I could have driven off the lot in a 2008 MDX for a mere $5K more! I am seeing more and more MDXs on the road compared to RDXs. I’m having a little bit of buyer’s remorse thinking “should I have gotten the MDX instead”?

Granted, the RDX has all the space and convenience I need, drives well and is sporty, but the MDX would have been more luxurious. Anyone have similar feelings?
Old 09-22-2008, 06:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Regret is an empty fool's game. Enjoy your RDX and try not to think. The RDX should be a more rewarding drive. After we purchased our Odyssey, we kept regretting not getting the Touring over the EX-L for a week. Enjoy your car for what it is.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Thanks Nokiaman. I just needed some reassurance.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The MDX looks better and has a few more features. I would also prefer the V6 linearity, but otherwise, the RDX is the better performing vehicle.

The only features I'd want are power tilt/telescope steering wheels, auto headlights and a few even more minor things.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:31 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cwepruk
The MDX looks better and has a few more features. I would also prefer the V6 linearity, but otherwise, the RDX is the better performing vehicle.

The only features I'd want are power tilt/telescope steering wheels, auto headlights and a few even more minor things.

"Better" is subjective.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think looks-wise, they are both pretty similar. The RDX definitely outperforms the MDX. The MDX definitely has a few more features and a bigger cargo area and a smoother ride.

For me, it was an easy choice--We would only need the cargo maybe three or four times in five or six years. The third row is useless if you have two car seats that make it unaccesible. So I chose the one that was more fun to drive but still nice and still convenient for kids in car seats (i.e. raised).
Old 09-23-2008, 09:18 AM
Pro

Here is some performance info, very close.

http://www.caranddriver.com/content/..._sh_com_ts.pdf

http://www.caranddriver.com/content/...comparo_ts.pdf
Old 09-23-2008, 09:22 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX
I purchased my 2008 RDX about three months ago. Don’t take me wrong, I absolutely love everything about it. But, on the other hand I could have driven off the lot in a 2008 MDX for a mere $5K more! I am seeing more and more MDXs on the road compared to RDXs. I’m having a little bit of buyer’s remorse thinking “should I have gotten the MDX instead”?

Granted, the RDX has all the space and convenience I need, drives well and is sporty, but the MDX would have been more luxurious. Anyone have similar feelings?
Sounds like you saved $5k and got a car that fits your needs instead of spending $5k and getting a car that is more than you need.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:58 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Where numbers may be somewhat close...the driving experience is totally different. Ill take the RDX any day over the MDX. Driving experience is more important than features which is maybe why you chose it in the first place

enjoy what you have...there is always an "if i had just...." forget about it. RDX looks better too, imo..mdx front is good, from the drivers door to the back looks like a short bus/very mini-van ish, and the rear ends are almost identical.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:08 AM
Instructor

I was in the same state as you when I first purchased my RDX. I kept thinking to myself that I should have gotten the MDX becuz of its smooth v6 and more comfortable ride + additional luxury amenities. HOWEVER!! when my cousin bought a fully loaded MDX and let me drive it for a bit, I no longer regretted getting the RDX over MDX.

My experience: MDX Pros: very nice interior. Speakers are the same as RDX. V6 is smooth and quiet. More plush interior and ride.

Cons: My main concern is "road feel" and getting a smile each and everytime I get in and out of my car. So with that said, the MDX seemed like it had turbo lag. Throttle response was slower than my RDX. (I drove the MDX like it was my RDX). Steering feel totally sucked. Not as bad as the lexus RX350, but it's still numbing. The whole driving experience just sucked vs the RDX's more exciting experience.

Anything numbing is an automatic X off my list.

Just keep driving your RDX and you'll notice that it gets better and better the more you drive it!!
Old 09-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mzhao84
I was in the same state as you when I first purchased my RDX. I kept thinking to myself that I should have gotten the MDX becuz of its smooth v6 and more comfortable ride + additional luxury amenities. HOWEVER!! when my cousin bought a fully loaded MDX and let me drive it for a bit, I no longer regretted getting the RDX over MDX.

My experience: MDX Pros: very nice interior. Speakers are the same as RDX. V6 is smooth and quiet. More plush interior and ride.

Cons: My main concern is "road feel" and getting a smile each and everytime I get in and out of my car. So with that said, the MDX seemed like it had turbo lag. Throttle response was slower than my RDX. (I drove the MDX like it was my RDX). Steering feel totally sucked. Not as bad as the lexus RX350, but it's still numbing. The whole driving experience just sucked vs the RDX's more exciting experience.

Anything numbing is an automatic X off my list.

Just keep driving your RDX and you'll notice that it gets better and better the more you drive it!!
+1, great post. I've done the same, the MDX just doesn't feel anywhere close to the great drive the RDX has. It's not even close, IMHO.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:47 AM
Instructor

yup! Those that want the driving experience would lean towards the RDX and those who put that second would lean towards the MDX. It all depends on the driver.

And I totally agree. the mdx feels like a lexus and the RDX feels like a bmw (in terms of driving).
Old 09-23-2008, 03:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cwepruk
Here is Edmunds:

MDX

0 - 30 (sec): 3.3
0 - 45 (sec): 5.3
0 - 60 (sec): 8.1
0 - 75 (sec): 11.5
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 16.0 @ 88.9
30 - 0 (ft): 33
60 - 0 (ft): 134
Slalom (mph): 62.8
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.82

RDX

0 - 30 (sec): 2.4
0 - 45 (sec): 4.2
0 - 60 (sec): 6.8
0 - 75 (sec): 10.4
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 15.2 @ 90.4
30 - 0 (ft): 30
60 - 0 (ft): 127
Slalom (mph): 65.7
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.80

Not very close at all. My best friend has a 2007 MDX. It feels like driving a boat compared to the RDX.

Last edited by brizey; 09-23-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Pro

Edmunds testing is very inconsistent compared to the big three magazines from my experience.

My friend has an 05 MDX, while the previous gen doesn't have much in terms of handling, it still feels fairly peppy.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Thanks everyone for your insightful opinions and comments. I'm lovin' my RDX more and more each day. The MDX just would have been overkill for my needs plus I prefer a sporty feel vehicle hence the RDX. Maybe my tastes will change in due time but for now I'm happy. I've kinda' learned how to drive with the turbo (this is my first turbo vehicle) and it can be VERY responsive and fun!
Old 09-24-2008, 12:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts
How did Edmunds get higher skidpad numbers for the MDX while still posting a superior slalom time for the RDX? And why would the MDX post better skidpad ratings?
Old 09-24-2008, 09:19 AM
Instructor

You should definitely try S mode on the freeway. The RDX is definitely a different car at 3k+ rpm! Enjoy!
Old 09-24-2008, 02:09 PM
Instructor

I have big time remorse, however, it is more about the towing ability and passenger capacity. When I bought my RDX I kept my GMC SUV in order to perform those tasks. What I should have done is sold it AND my car and gotten an MDX... or not. For $40k+, I am not sure I would have chosen an MDX, there is a lot of competition in that price/capacity range.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DJ Iceman
How did Edmunds get higher skidpad numbers for the MDX while still posting a superior slalom time for the RDX? And why would the MDX post better skidpad ratings?
Skidpad is mostly tires on all but the highest performing vehicles that can actually pull hard enough to unload/load parts of the suspension. The RDX is lighter, which has little impact on the skidpad but lots of impact in the slalom because it can change directions faster.

If I needed to tow I would not buy either one. I'd get something like a Sequoia.

To the OP: $5k seems to be either an incredible deal on the MDX or a bad deal on the RDX. When I was buying, it was more like $8k ($34k for an RDX tech to $42 for an MDX with the equivalent package). They were dealing harder on the RDX.

I am still quite satisfied with the RDX. It hit our sweet spot in terms of being fun to drive and practicality. If I were to move up to get a bigger vehicle, I would probably get an Enclave since it has a usable thrid row if you get the second row captain chairs. Sure it is not as dynamically sporty as the MDX, but it scores big on practicality and crushes the MDX in terms of looks.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:20 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Originally Posted by brizey
To the OP: $5k seems to be either an incredible deal on the MDX or a bad deal on the RDX. When I was buying, it was more like $8k ($34k for an RDX tech to $42 for an MDX with the equivalent package). They were dealing harder on the RDX.
I just went back and looked at the numbers. It was actually a $5,509 difference between the '08 RDX base vs. '08 MDX base. Still, it was a pretty awesome deal. My RDX '08 base cost me $30,220 plus tax and fees. But, I coulda' gotten the MDX '08 base at $35,729 plus tax and fees!
Old 09-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Pro

I just went back and looked at the numbers. It was actually a $5,509 difference between the '08 RDX base vs. '08 MDX base. Still, it was a pretty awesome deal. My RDX '08 base cost me $30,220 plus tax and fees. But, I coulda' gotten the MDX '08 base at $35,729 plus tax and fees!
Carbon - I'm curious...if you were thinking of buying the base MDX did you think about buying the RDX Tech instead of the RDX base? Just curious what your thought process was. I would have loved to buy the MDX but right now in my life I didn't need it plus it was out of my price range.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:26 AM
Intermediate

I kinda felt that way at some point like you too! The city I live, there are more MDXs than RDX. There is not much RDX actually. I too have thought that maybe I should have got the MDX instead of the RDX. I love the way it drives and all, but it had problems (oil leak). I even thought if I got the MDX I wouldnt have had that much problem with the car. The oil leak is fixed, but it just gave me some headache for a month. Now I dont regret my choice. I'm actually in the market for another car, possibly SUV. It could be another RDX or a base MDX. Most likely it is going to be an MDX for its towing ability because in the future I'm planning to get a boat.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:06 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by brizey
For what it's worth, in Canada, it was over a 10k difference. But just last month, they had some MDX's going for about the same price as the RDX tech. Price being equal, I'd likely go MDX - but I really didn't want anything that big.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:25 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Altho im not much of a fan of the looks of the MDX...ill take it any day over the chrome induced heart attack they call the Enclave
Old 09-25-2008, 04:37 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by buxtons
Sounds like you saved $5k and got a car that fits your needs instead of spending $5k and getting a car that is more than you need.
couldnt have said it better myself!
Old 09-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Originally Posted by phoward_15
Carbon - I'm curious...if you were thinking of buying the base MDX did you think about buying the RDX Tech instead of the RDX base? Just curious what your thought process was. I would have loved to buy the MDX but right now in my life I didn't need it plus it was out of my price range.
I couldn't really justify the extra cost (like almost $3K) to get the tech RDX. The only thing I slightly miss is the 10 speaker surround stereo, yet the base model "Premium" 7 speaker stereo still performs quite well and impresses me when playing CDs, MP3s, and XM. It's more than good enough and blows away the Bose system that was in my 2003 CL-S (which was also very good in it's day) that I traded in. I sure as heck can live without a backup camera, and for NAV I just use my own, suction cupped to the windshield and plugged into the utility jack. I paid cash for the velicle (like $20.3K) after trade in. I'll keep it for a few years most likely and will trade it in when the time comes as my tastes and desires change.

PS. I don't care for the new Acura grills which LUCKILY the RDX is the only one that doesn't have it!! Maybe they'll change it by the time I'm ready for another Acura.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:25 PM
10th Gear

I traded my mdx for my current fully packaged rdx. I couldn't be any happier.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

RDX is OK, but the I4 turbo lags, sounds like a CRV and rides like a brick. The V6 in my 07 MDX Sport sounds like an NSX, pulls like a train and rides like a BMW.

The RDX might be marginally better on a smooth race track, but not on real roads. I can wag the tail on my MDX at will, and hit giant potholes in mid corner without worry.

The MDX Sport handles considerably better than a base model and IMO more controllable grip than an RDX if not as agile.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:19 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,201 Posts
Originally Posted by sinisia
RDX is OK, but the I4 turbo lags, sounds like a CRV and rides like a brick. The V6 in my 07 MDX Sport sounds like an NSX, pulls like a train and rides like a BMW.

The RDX might be marginally better on a smooth race track, but not on real roads. I can wag the tail on my MDX at will, and hit giant potholes in mid corner without worry.

The MDX Sport handles considerably better than a base model and IMO more controllable grip than an RDX if not as agile.
The RDX and MDX are completely different vehicles. In your world, the MDX is the perfect vehicle. I'm my world the RDX is a perfect vehicle. I had a MDX base as a loaner for a few days and it is a great vehicle. It would be my 1st choice when I'm in the market for a larger SUV.

I could not wait to get back into the RDX and hit my favorite curves and feel the turbo boost
Old 04-17-2010, 06:06 PM
Burning Brakes

The RDX is faster to 30 mph in every test I have ever seen. The turbo lag is meaningless. The RDX is faster than your freight train.

The MDX has nicer interior with more features, a bigger cargo area when you put the seats down on the pretty much useless third row, and a smoother ride. The RDX is faster, has better steering feel (way better), and is thousands cheaper. It was an easy choice for me.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:17 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Have a 2007 RDX. Love it so much - so we traded our 2001 MDX for a 2008 MDX.

RDX Turbo lag? Ha!

The RDX would eat the MDX for lunch in every scenario but yes - the MDX rides better... Nice for a wife....
(have since traded the MDX but still have the RDX) That says it all.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:52 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Hey all. Ever since I started this thread back on 9/22/08 I've loved every second with my RDX. I can honestly say I'm now glad I did NOT go the MDX route, which would have been a '08 MDX back then. Although the MDX is more luxurious, it's also too big, too heavy, too bloated for my needs.

I just adore the nimbleness of the RDX and the sports sedan drive feel in a CUV! I mean, I push my RDX harder in corners than any car I've ever had in the past including my beloved 2003 Acura CL Type-S that I traded for the RDX.

Happy RDX driver here!
Old 04-20-2010, 12:43 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Dude were do you get your info from the RDX handles better than a MDX and the MDX is far froma NSX I have driven many MDX and my RDX sounds way better and my RDX would smoke you as bad as I would smoke a honda fit .
Old 04-20-2010, 09:35 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,201 Posts
I just adore the nimbleness of the RDX and the sports sedan drive feel in a CUV! I mean, I push my RDX harder in corners than any car I've ever had in the past including my beloved 2003 Acura CL Type-S that I traded for the RDX.
I was amazed how well the SH-AWD works on the RDX. I have my favorite 360 degree 35 mph hwy on ramp I usually take about 55 mph in the TSX (Progress RSB, A-spec suspension, Bridgestone 960 tires). I can feel the TSX is reaching its max limit around that corner.

When I do the same turn in the RDX (Eibach springs, Hondata), I can easily reach 60 mph. It is as if the CUV is riding on rails and you can feel the RDX rotate around the corner. If it wasn't for the OEM tires with +33,000 miles; I could probably do 65 mph on the corner.

I tried the same on ramp with the MDX base loaner and there was too much body lean and it did not feel as secure as the TSX or RDX. Plus I didn’t have the burst of power like the RDX to quickly get up to +75 mph to merge with traffic.

The wifey was on the fence about MDX or RDX until we had the MDX loaner for a few days. We are waiting for the all new MDX in a few years (replace the TSX); but, in the meantime the only way she will give up her RDX is to "Pry it from her cold dead hands".
Old 04-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Advanced

Happy RDX driver here!
Funny. I also traded a 2003 Acura CL Type-S for my RDX.

The RDX even out-corners my '77 Trans Am! It does ride like it's on rails in corners.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:28 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Originally Posted by bg905
Funny. I also traded a 2003 Acura CL Type-S for my RDX.

The RDX even out-corners my '77 Trans Am! It does ride like it's on rails in corners.
Too cool bg905! I had "way back when" a 1988 Camaro IROC-Z that also claimed to handle like it was on rails per magazine reviews (no Internet back then.) It was the "Vette" version with the 5.7 Liter (350 CID) TPI engine. Needless to say, the RDX would both smoke it straight line and in corners!! LOL.

Hey, My Camaro served it's purpose. I had a lot of fun with it back then, but, overlooking the fun, what a POS it was mechanically!!
Old 05-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The only thing the RDX is missing is a good engine. I can put up with the turbo lag only if I got some decent fuel economy.
I'd rather have the chevy trailblazer SS drivetrain in this car, I'd get about the same mileage but at least I'd have power.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:44 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
^^^ ?????????!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wspy
^^^ ?????????!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, I know. I reported the post a few days ago. Totally off topic and little trollish.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally, I like the satisfaction of not seeing another RDX for days (sometimes weeks) at a time...while spotting an MDX is pretty much a daily event. I like to think the MDX owners spot me in my RDX and are insanely jealous that they didn't choose an RDX (as I wave to them in my rearview mirror)!
The following users liked this post:
Carbon Pearl (04-14-2015)

Quick Reply: RDX vs. MDX (buyer's remorse?)