RDX vs. CR-V

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009 | 02:11 PM
Cruisin'

RDX vs. CR-V

Hey fellas,

I recently moved and had to sell my 06 TL, which I really miss.
Wife got a company car, so I took her 07 CR-V EX-L. It drives well, excellent on gas, has plenty of room for us and the dogs, and is very capable for our light off-road trips as well as our long distance ones.

I miss the speed, handle, and feel of the TL; so I've been playing with the idea of trading in the CR_V to get an RDX. From browsing this site, I see many of you enjoy yours.

Just a few questions:

1. Does the RDX comfortably perform the above things that I listed: smooth ride, good on gas, room for luggage and dogs (the RDX does have 12 cubic ft less than the CR-V), light off-road?
2. Is it a comfortable daily commuter (mostly highway) and on 6-8 hour road trips?
3. What is a fair price to expect to pay for an 07 base model with ~25k on it?

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by c-bo; 06-17-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-17-2009 | 02:53 PM
big shot.

if you use the search function on the forum, you will find alot of posts relating to your thread.

in a nutshell..think of the RDX as a type S version of the CRV, with much better AWD.

the RDX is stiff as hell (i like it) but nothing like your CRV, is that comfortable to you? a test drive would solve that quick, but make sure u drive the Acura on imperfect roads, dont let the sales guy keep you on the highway or a nicely paved patch around the dealership (and try to cover up the RDX's somewhat brutal suspension)

For the extra cash, the RDX runs rings around the CRV, is prob the best performing small suv out there, for the money nothing will outperform it, imo i think its a better ride than the TL - handling, steering, fun factor etc

6-8 hr trips in the RDX could be fatiguing, the highway ride is nice, but still stiff from its tight springs overall - sound deadening IMO sucks, the RDX is a pretty loud vehicle, and Im pretty sure i wouldnt want to be in it for longer than 3-4 hrs, lol - its no highway cruiser imo, especially compared to the MDX (which is silk)

is it worth the extra money over a very nicely equipped CRV-EXL - thats up to you, if you are performance minded - as am i, there is no question, ill spend the money all day, but if thats not a priority, honestly, the CRV EXL is a decent ride if you dont care about the power plant....you wont be gaining any luxury with the Acura, other than a better warranty and roadside assistance
Old 06-17-2009 | 02:59 PM
Racer

To me even the TOP of the line LOADED CR-V couldn't even touch the RDX Tech in terms of anything more than maybe a little more cargo space and a little better MPG. (Yes I test drove a new 09 CR-V recently and it just didn't do it for me at all.)

To me the ride is closer than Mike describes, but that is my opinion. I prefer the sporty feel of the RDX compared to the soft feel of the CR-V. I like to take a corner and feel planted, the CR-V doesn't give you that feeling anything close to what an RDX will.

Also my girlfriend stated that she thought the RDX seats were actually more comfortable to sit in than my 07 TL!

Also consider a LOADED CR-V with Navi will be 28-30k.
RDX Tech right now 32k seems to be the magic number.

For a 07 "base"...I personally wouldn't spend a penny over 24-25k.

Last edited by bgillette79; 06-17-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-17-2009 | 03:05 PM
Racer

Also, look back to my thread about going from an 07 TL to an 09RDX.
I was thinking about it, and after driving an RDX I was sold and I'm picking mine up tomorrow! I think my thread will really help you see how the TL and RDX stack up!

Here is the link...Read Post #46 for my in depth review after a 2 hour RDX test drive.

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-2007-2012-147/thinking-going-07-tl-navi-08-rdx-tech-726534/
Old 06-17-2009 | 03:06 PM
Cruisin'

Great posts...thanks!

in terms of the brutal suspension, does that make your passengers feel somewhat uncomfortable?
Any problems taking it "light off-roading" on trails to get to hiking/biking area?

I'll be looking at used RDX's 07's with low miles; what would a fair price for that be?

Thanks again
Old 06-17-2009 | 03:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by c-bo
Great posts...thanks!

in terms of the brutal suspension, does that make your passengers feel somewhat uncomfortable?
Any problems taking it "light off-roading" on trails to get to hiking/biking area?

I'll be looking at used RDX's 07's with low miles; what would a fair price for that be?

Thanks again
I drove part of my test drive on some of the worst streets in Cleveland...I thought the RDX handled them pretty close to how my TL would handle them in terms of "bumpiness".

Off Roading...I would say it can 100% handle getting to bike trail or hiking area. (A dirt road). As long as there are not deep ruts that you have to drive in because the RDX just doesn't have the ground clearance for ruts.

I think A Base 07 RDX with 25000 miles should be around $25000. But these things are holding their values well and dealers are pricing used ones pretty high (at least in Cleveland!)
Old 06-17-2009 | 03:31 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by bgillette79
I drove part of my test drive on some of the worst streets in Cleveland...I thought the RDX handled them pretty close to how my TL would handle them in terms of "bumpiness".

Off Roading...I would say it can 100% handle getting to bike trail or hiking area. (A dirt road). As long as there are not deep ruts that you have to drive in because the RDX just doesn't have the ground clearance for ruts.

I think A Base 07 RDX with 25000 miles should be around $25000. But these things are holding their values well and dealers are pricing used ones pretty high (at least in Cleveland!)

I just read through the thread you posted, great info!
I'm glad to see it can haul "stuff"
I live in NC now, so the road trip with the wife and 2 dogs to PA is what I was concerned about...along with mountain biking, hiking, and camping.

Do you know how reliable the turbo engine is? I'm assuming there are no
"major" mechanical problems with the RDX, the CR_V has been completely dependable and it's very inexpensive to maintain.
Old 06-17-2009 | 03:33 PM
big shot.

the 07 is a bit stiffer than subsequent model years in the RDX.

The suspension unravels after bumps in succession, some people on here buy the RDX, join the board, and complain and think something is 'wrong' with the car because of the suspension, when in fact its just how it is....so to a point its all subjective, will people in the back feel the bumps? you bet...will it be problematic? depends on the person...its not to say its BAD, but the RDX certainly does not handle the sports car handling and feel, along with smooth riding and smooth travel in the suspension department - there is a distinct trade off....and the CRV EXL AWD w/tech is 29,500 w/o a single option. The $$ to move into the Acura is not bad if looking at it from that point of view...

#1 thing - is if you had a TL, ull be cool with the RDX ride characteristics - but its prob the harshest vehicle in Acuras lineup, just be sure you like it first, on all types of surfaces...
Old 06-17-2009 | 03:39 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by MMike1981
the 07 is a bit stiffer than subsequent model years in the RDX.

The suspension unravels after bumps in succession, some people on here buy the RDX, join the board, and complain and think something is 'wrong' with the car because of the suspension, when in fact its just how it is....so to a point its all subjective, will people in the back feel the bumps? you bet...will it be problematic? depends on the person...its not to say its BAD, but the RDX certainly does not handle the sports car handling and feel, along with smooth riding and smooth travel in the suspension department - there is a distinct trade off....and the CRV EXL AWD w/tech is 29,500 w/o a single option. The $$ to move into the Acura is not bad if looking at it from that point of view...

#1 thing - is if you had a TL, ull be cool with the RDX ride characteristics - but its prob the harshest vehicle in Acuras lineup, just be sure you like it first, on all types of surfaces...
I loved the TL, after driving the CR_V for 2 years, I really miss it. The RDX reminds me of a combination of both vehicles, which makes it sound perfect.
I have read many posts about the suspension (to each his own I guess)
I have also read about terrible MPG. I average 27 in the CR-V and in the TL; both are above what the retailers suggest. I don't drive my vehicles too hard, so I figure I can get decent numbers from an RDX.
Old 06-17-2009 | 03:56 PM
big shot.

expect 18 overall...if ur straight up highway, 21, 22, maybe a consistent 23 with the K&N drop in
Old 06-17-2009 | 04:21 PM
Cruisin'

expect 18 overall...if ur straight up highway, 21, 22, maybe a consistent 23 with the K&N drop in
Wow, that's awful compared to the other two vehicles.
Any known major mechanical issues with the RDX or has reliability been very good?

Thanks again for all of your help.
Old 06-17-2009 | 04:25 PM
Racer

Wow, that's awful compared to the other two vehicles.
Any known major mechanical issues with the RDX or has reliability been very good?

Thanks again for all of your help.
I have not really read any major problems with the RDX's engine. The Turbo 4 looks to be doing everything well from what I've read.

Mike knows the MPG better than I do right now. During my 50mile test drive I did average around 22mpg in mixed driving (using the trip meter.)

I am hopeful with a K&N drop in that I can average 18-19city, and 24 highway (it is pretty flat in Cleveland). (21mpg combined) Just need to stay off the boost, but I'm obviously going to use the boost now and then Right now in my TL I average around 23-24 combined, so if I can do 21mpg in the RDX I'll be just fine!
Old 06-17-2009 | 04:30 PM
Pro

I just wanna add this info lol RDX require PREMIUM GAS AND SYNTETIC OIL!!!

4k for oil interval and dealer charge 100 dollars for an oil change...
Old 06-17-2009 | 09:57 PM
Advanced

In my opinion, the CR-V does not compare to the RDX in comfort and performance. The seats are a huge difference between the two vehicles and while the car is not really designed for off-roading, some light dirt roads should be fine. While the suspension is stiff, I personally believe it's the price you pay for the handling of this SUV. With that said, I live in NC and travel frequently to NY to visit family. With the exception of the loaner MDX we had one time, my wife and I find the I-95 ride up the coast (9+ hours) to go by very quickly with no fatigue at all.
Old 06-18-2009 | 07:08 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by calcio22
In my opinion, the CR-V does not compare to the RDX in comfort and performance. The seats are a huge difference between the two vehicles and while the car is not really designed for off-roading, some light dirt roads should be fine. While the suspension is stiff, I personally believe it's the price you pay for the handling of this SUV. With that said, I live in NC and travel frequently to NY to visit family. With the exception of the loaner MDX we had one time, my wife and I find the I-95 ride up the coast (9+ hours) to go by very quickly with no fatigue at all.
We have the same trip to PA as well. Is your highway mileage good on that long road-trip? With the rear seats NOT folded down, will 2 medium frame dogs fit in the cargo area?
Old 06-18-2009 | 08:28 AM
big shot.

id say prepare to pay double to operate the RDX..meaning, dbl on oil changes, maintenance, and gas.

if you are literally 90% highway, id say you will get 20+ for sure, but toss in any regular city driving, the MPG starts to dive, with my 18 overall estimate, i was even being generous - even straight highway, not sure if ANYONE on this board gets a solid 24 or close...when I drive from RI/MA to NH all the time, i can clock 320/340 to a tank usually (with 1 passenger and bags for a weekend) (16 gallons) But im just 1 person and all these numbers are just people specific, some guys may get redic mileage who knows

but listen, im giving you the RDX's worst qualities up front not sugar coated. My posts may read pretty negative...but i just wanted you to know right off the bat that its not all perfect with this car, or giant leaps over the Honda, and MPG is its worst attribute along with its suspension (which i dont really care about either of the two - and I like the stiff suspension) but gas, alot of people buy this thing and try to think or will themselves into an MPG in the low 20's overall...its rare, and usually doesnt happen.

Without question, I do think the RDX is a better overall vehicle than the CRV, NO DOUBT....but the RDX has its own batch of issues that after 2+ years of ownership, I question the Acura-ness of the truck.

I am one of those people who find the ride in the RDX very fatiguing over long trips due to its loud operation, and stiff jiggly highway ride - its a little nervous (i wish it had a variable suspension to smooth it out on the highway) but thats just me...cant have it perfect....would i buy the RDX again? not sure, the Q5 seems mighty good for 5-8K more and seems to come close on the performance side of it as well.
Old 06-18-2009 | 08:50 AM
Cruisin'

I really appreciate the help...
Maybe I'll look into the 06 MDX touring then...bigger truck, just as much luxury, similar MPG, much more power than the V, though I'm sure the fun factor is no where near the RDX, completely different vehicle.
Old 06-18-2009 | 08:59 AM
big shot.

The MDX is a totally different driving experience than the RDX...but its no slouch either...i drove one for a while...its just really what you need..if ur needs are highway, trips, a passenger and dogs, id really go for the MDX myself...its a beautiful ride, the interior is just supreme compared to the RDX, and imo, i believe the MDX is Acuras best vehicle in the lineup. I enjoy taking trips in the MDX much more than the RDX, but I got the RDX - its weird - due to city driving and I wanted hauling ability along with performance to really have some fun and toss the thing around, which the RDX does 10 fold. The SHAWD are basically the same in both trucks...but i think itd be totally worth your while to take a look at BOTH and then make the decision, cant beat the MDX for long trips, MPG is similar, capacity, and fantastic luxury (even in the base model) RDX for the sports car version of the MDX haha
Old 06-18-2009 | 09:05 AM
Racer

I think we are at a point in production where most cars regardless of manufacturer have slipped a little in overall quality, but that is the nature of the 'lower cost production' beast.

I think that the MPG should really be a non-factor for buyers of the RDX. I figured it out in another post on here but the yearly increase in gas cost going to the RDX from my TL really won't be a HUGE difference. It is an expected difference going from a sedan to an SUV.
The CR-V is a "freak of nature" really for an SUV. It simply achieves great MPG by having NO power what so ever.

As far as saving a few bucks. If you can do your own oil changes you can save a bundle! If not, just go buy your oil and filter at Walmart and then take it in to your dealership and have them change it using your oil and filter. That will surely save you at least $30-40 per oil change!

Read this breakdown of gas costs that I figured out. (just found and pasted it)
If I average 19mpg overall (which seems possible from everything I've read), that really is only about a 4-5mpg difference vs my 3G TL.

Even at 5mpg difference, a normal 13 gallon fill up for me would be a 65mile difference.

65 Miles Divided by 19mpg is 3.4 gallons extra gas needed for the RDX to go as far as my TL in the same amount of gas.

3.4 gallons at $2.50 is an extra $8.50.

Basically if I get the RDX it will cost me AN EXTRA $8.50 to drive the EXACT same distance per tank that I'm driving in my TL.

$8.50 Extra times say 40 fill ups per year.

$340 EXTRA to drive the RDX per year over my TL.

Edit...since I computed this gas has shot back up....so you might want to consider that the RDX will cost you closer to $400 more per year.

Last edited by bgillette79; 06-18-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-18-2009 | 09:12 AM
big shot.

gas is no biggie - its just the CRV to RDX you should be in for a little wallet shock hahah

not sure if its factored into your analysis up there ...but its a 16 gal fill for the truck not the 13..so, for whatever that is worth...im talking here about getting 300 miles on 16 not 13 gals...again not sure if that was in your analysis lol
Old 06-18-2009 | 09:19 AM
Racer

gas is no biggie - its just the CRV to RDX you should be in for a little wallet shock hahah

not sure if its factored into your analysis up there ...but its a 16 gal fill for the truck not the 13..so, for whatever that is worth...im talking here about getting 300 miles on 16 not 13 gals...again not sure if that was in your analysis lol

My figures were based on 13 gallons, but it was more based on the number of miles.

Really the RDX is going to cost me $10 MORE to drive the same miles that I did with my TL per tank. I do understand that I'll be putting around 15-16 gallons in the RDX vs putting in 13-14 gallons in my TL.
Old 06-18-2009 | 09:23 AM
big shot.

cool..yea not so much of a big deal...but u never know, some people come n go on this board and are bullshit over the gas issue thingy lol what i gotta pay 40! istead of 32!! OMG!!!
Old 06-18-2009 | 09:25 AM
Cruisin'

I really appreciate the help...
Maybe I'll look into the 06 MDX touring then...bigger truck, just as much luxury, similar MPG, much more power than the V, though I'm sure the fun factor is no where near the RDX, completely different vehicle.
Originally Posted by bgillette79
My figures were based on 13 gallons, but it was more based on the number of miles.

Really the RDX is going to cost me $10 MORE to drive the same miles that I did with my TL per tank. I do understand that I'll be putting around 15-16 gallons in the RDX vs putting in 13-14 gallons in my TL.
My TL was actually cheaper to fill than the CR-V was. It was a little better on gas as well...I think.

Mike, would the 06 MDX Touring edition be good purchase? It seems like that would be a better option for me than the RDX. I feel like I'm going to get more truck than if I just swapped the V for an RDX for performance only.
I love the 07+ MDX, but they are WAY too expensive. Low-Mid 20"s for a low mile MDX Touring is more in line for us LOL
Thoughts?
Old 06-18-2009 | 09:31 AM
Cruisin'

The MDX is a totally different driving experience than the RDX...but its no slouch either...i drove one for a while...its just really what you need..if ur needs are highway, trips, a passenger and dogs, id really go for the MDX myself...its a beautiful ride, the interior is just supreme compared to the RDX, and imo, i believe the MDX is Acuras best vehicle in the lineup. I enjoy taking trips in the MDX much more than the RDX, but I got the RDX - its weird - due to city driving and I wanted hauling ability along with performance to really have some fun and toss the thing around, which the RDX does 10 fold. The SHAWD are basically the same in both trucks...but i think itd be totally worth your while to take a look at BOTH and then make the decision, cant beat the MDX for long trips, MPG is similar, capacity, and fantastic luxury (even in the base model) RDX for the sports car version of the MDX haha
Are you comparing the 06 MDX or 07 MDX?
Thanks!
Old 06-18-2009 | 09:36 AM
big shot.

Ahh..i see, i was actually talking about the 2007 (present design) model. As far as the older design, I really cant comment, never drove one nor owned one.

All i can say is....the RDX is a great truck, decent mileage for WHAT IT DOES...you can definately haul stuff, but if you are buying used, what model will give you more for your money? Not sure, because it depends on your needs, if you have the wife, dogs, long trips, planning kids...im split on the decision, because i thnk the RDX can tackle those issues, but its a question of how comfortable you want to be andhow much you would value performance vs comfort and carrying ability

one guy on here - Rexorg, downsized from the MDX to the RDX, and i think hes been prety happy, but i know some people on here who got the RDX and have kids etc have run into a few issues fitting the strollers, car seats, etc, while feeling comfortable at the same time

one quick note too...if the CRV has plenty of room for you, which i just reread your original post, then i think the RDX will be just as good...

Last edited by MMike1981; 06-18-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-18-2009 | 10:11 AM
Cruisin'

Ahh..i see, i was actually talking about the 2007 (present design) model. As far as the older design, I really cant comment, never drove one nor owned one.

All i can say is....the RDX is a great truck, decent mileage for WHAT IT DOES...you can definately haul stuff, but if you are buying used, what model will give you more for your money? Not sure, because it depends on your needs, if you have the wife, dogs, long trips, planning kids...im split on the decision, because i thnk the RDX can tackle those issues, but its a question of how comfortable you want to be andhow much you would value performance vs comfort and carrying ability

one guy on here - Rexorg, downsized from the MDX to the RDX, and i think hes been prety happy, but i know some people on here who got the RDX and have kids etc have run into a few issues fitting the strollers, car seats, etc, while feeling comfortable at the same time

one quick note too...if the CRV has plenty of room for you, which i just reread your original post, then i think the RDX will be just as good...

I think you're right, after looking at pictures of the 06 MDX, it seems outdated. I've like the RDX for a while, the wife can get the bigger SUV later on
Old 06-19-2009 | 01:01 PM
Pro

I think you're right, after looking at pictures of the 06 MDX, it seems outdated. I've like the RDX for a while, the wife can get the bigger SUV later on
If you will ask me, i will buy cheaper car but brand new instead of luxury used car.

You may wanna see this, i always use this site to compare vehicle.

Note: these are all new cars!!

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/nvc/edmu...op=3&tab=specs
Old 06-19-2009 | 02:02 PM
Intermediate

I'm thinking of trading my 07 RDX for CRV or Highlander. The main reason is I have an collision accident in Canada which could have been prevented if the RDX had more responsive brakes. The ABS did not even work. The funny thing is minutes before the accident, I talked to my wife on how trhe RDX is very hard to brake. The rental car that they gave me (Honda Odyssey) is more brake responsive than RDX. I could live with the bumby ride of RDX but when it comes to safety, this is a big factor.
Old 06-20-2009 | 09:04 AM
Racer

I think the breaks are just fine. I have not noticed anything wrong with them while driving. I'm sure the 4000lb SUV might need a little more space to stop, I mean it is not going to break like an S2000!
Old 06-20-2009 | 10:34 AM
Suzuka Master

CR-V sucks balls!
Its a cheap ass truck that locks the horse power and drives like a dull box.