RDX v Rav4: 10k miles and very pleased

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
RDX v Rav4: 10k miles and very pleased

I had cross-shopped the RDX against all of the sporty small/mid-sized SUVs and CUVs. The runner-up was the Toyota Rav4 V-6 AWD. (I know they're different classes...I shop needs, not class.)

Now, with 10,000 miles on my Carbon Bronze Tech, we are enjoying the performance, handling, and Acura panache (that last one is my wife's term).

I have had exactly one quality issue: the first week a plastic seat track end cover was found on the floor. I snapped it back into place. That is it.

I have the Service Manual and do my own services. I'm very impressed with the ease of maintenance and the Honda "Simplify" philosophy.

Now and again, when I see Rav4s, I wonder if I would have done as well. I found the answer on the Rav owner sites:

Stress cracked windshields (often just after rinsing with cold water -- and the dealers are balking, blaming stone chips).

Droning/resonance at highway speed, requiring ECU replacement.

Sulfer smell inside cabin, requiring catalytic converter replacement.

Knocking from steering gear during low speed turns; all sorts of components replaced with no resolution yet.

Most of these people express dismay I haven't seen since I owned a VW Touareg, and a baffled kind of dis-belief, as in : "WTF, this isn't why I bought a Toyota..."

On the positive side it seems that the fuel economy from that 268 horse V-6 has been averaging better than the RDX; generally about 21 to 23 mpg with AWD. Some are getting 30 on the highway. Of course, we have discussed all of the reasons for that, drivetrain friction, weight, etc.

I am surprised and disappointed that Toyota's reputation is suffering like this. I hope they can get their feces consolidated.

But, I'm glad I bought the RDX.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Reading the CX-7 forum made me feel a little better too.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:18 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad you needed that to feel better.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow, those Toyota issues don't sound good. They better get their act together before their reputation is tarnished big time.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:56 PM
Race Director

what's wrong with the CX-7?

how about the Nissan Murano? any long term issues with it?
Old 07-10-2007, 09:16 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
what's wrong with the CX-7?

how about the Nissan Murano? any long term issues with it?
They're were a few problems with it, First year kinks, If any one were to buy one now they would be trouble free, and as for the Murano, those have been out quite a while those should be good to go too.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by XLR8R
I had cross-shopped the RDX against all of the sporty small/mid-sized SUVs and CUVs. The runner-up was the Toyota Rav4 V-6 AWD. (I know they're different classes...I shop needs, not class.)

Now, with 10,000 miles on my Carbon Bronze Tech, we are enjoying the performance, handling, and Acura panache (that last one is my wife's term).

I have had exactly one quality issue: the first week a plastic seat track end cover was found on the floor. I snapped it back into place. That is it.

I have the Service Manual and do my own services. I'm very impressed with the ease of maintenance and the Honda "Simplify" philosophy.

Now and again, when I see Rav4s, I wonder if I would have done as well. I found the answer on the Rav owner sites:

Stress cracked windshields (often just after rinsing with cold water -- and the dealers are balking, blaming stone chips).

Droning/resonance at highway speed, requiring ECU replacement.

Sulfer smell inside cabin, requiring catalytic converter replacement.

Knocking from steering gear during low speed turns; all sorts of components replaced with no resolution yet.

Most of these people express dismay I haven't seen since I owned a VW Touareg, and a baffled kind of dis-belief, as in : "WTF, this isn't why I bought a Toyota..."

On the positive side it seems that the fuel economy from that 268 horse V-6 has been averaging better than the RDX; generally about 21 to 23 mpg with AWD. Some are getting 30 on the highway. Of course, we have discussed all of the reasons for that, drivetrain friction, weight, etc.

I am surprised and disappointed that Toyota's reputation is suffering like this. I hope they can get their feces consolidated.

But, I'm glad I bought the RDX.
Good write up XLR8R!
It's good to know that the vehicle we chose is doing better than one we were all told was "so much better"! Doesn't look like it in that find.
Funny though you said about that plastic thingy you found & snapped back into place. We just found that on the floor after this wked. when someone finally sat in the back seat & must have kicked it off. Just snapped it back on......................
Oh my GOD! Acura is horrible! They let a piece of plastic pop off!!! (hahahahahahahahahaha)
That's the only problem I've had to date...(oh the XM didn't work for a week & was fixed!)
Old 07-11-2007, 08:06 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AbovePrime.
They're were a few problems with it, First year kinks, If any one were to buy one now they would be trouble free, and as for the Murano, those have been out quite a while those should be good to go too.
I have had the 1st year Murano for 4 years now. I must say that I have never had such a problem free vehicle. I was told that because it was the 1st year, Nissan made sure everything was solid on it. Really smooth, pretty peppy and was very unique back when I bought it. Getting the 2008 RDX now and am a little worried about the smaller size and stiffer ride. Never really used all the space in the Murano, so I should be OK. Was looking at getting another Murano, but they have change almost nothing from the 1st year model. Anyway, love the exciting ride of the RDX.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:09 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by AbovePrime.
ahh i see, yes i don't think i would buy another 1st yr model car. look at the 04 TSX i have, there have been some problems.

were/are there any 1st yr kinks though with the RDX?
Old 07-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, couldn't agree more with your review of the RDX. I too was considering the RAV4, except that I found the V6 to be a little too much power for the weaker (incomparison to RDX) chassis. Also, the interior build quality was surprisingly not up to what I would expect from Toyota. Flimsy glove box compartments, cheap looking plastics... and the interior colour scheme is plain boring... Stupid looking spare wheel hanging out at the back (want to look like a rugged jeep or landrover? even those guys are getting rid of that spare wheel at the trunk door).

The cheaper price and also the better gas mileage of the RAV4 were the only things that sort of captured my attention...
Old 07-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the Murano really much bigger than an RDX? They look about the same.

Plus I have no desire for a CVT.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Instructor

that's odd...i also had the seat track cover for the right front passenger seat track fall off as well.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Advanced

The Murano is a great car and the Base price is cheaper than the Base RDX. BUT, the Murano doesn't come standard with AWD, or leather, or a premium audio system or even a sunroof! The list goes on and on, by the time you build a comparable Murano to the RDX, the price skyrockets to over $37,000! This doesn't include nav or features that you would get with the RDX Tech. Yes, the Murano may have intelligent key but I wouldn't pay $40,000+ for a Murano when I can get a RDX or even a MDX! Not to bash, i like the Murano but it's definitely overpriced.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:04 PM
B A N N E D

The murano is much bigger than the RDX, inside. Also, the CVT is pretty unsatisfying.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Advanced

I sat in both the Murano and RDX and the RDX seemed bigger to me. I'm 6' and i had plenty of head and leg room in the back and front with the front seats all the way back. When I sat in the CR-V, my head touched the roof of the car. That might clear any thoughts about whether or not the CR-V and RDX are the same or not.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Race Director

Just for the record the Nissan Murano is a great car. My grandmom has one and it drives really nice and like Acura you get a lot of bang for your buck if you get the SL version.

As for your RDX thats great to see your happy but I dont really think the RAV4 have problems. I dont really think you can use forums to compare issues. Normally people come on forums because they have issues to begin with. While I am sure the RDX has very few issues I would think a toyota would too.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:21 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Trackruner228
Just for the record the Nissan Murano is a great car. My grandmom has one and it drives really nice and like Acura you get a lot of bang for your buck if you get the SL version.

As for your RDX thats great to see your happy but I dont really think the RAV4 have problems. I dont really think you can use forums to compare issues. Normally people come on forums because they have issues to begin with. While I am sure the RDX has very few issues I would think a toyota would too.
I was getting my car serviced and I stopped at a Nissan dealer to be shocked that they had 1K mark up! HAHA! I reallly hope no one buys those Murano's.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:05 AM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by mav238
I too was considering the RAV4, except that I found the V6 to be a little too much power for the weaker (incomparison to RDX) chassis. Also, the interior build quality was surprisingly not up to what I would expect from Toyota. Flimsy glove box compartments, cheap looking plastics... and the interior colour scheme is plain boring... Stupid looking spare wheel hanging out at the back (want to look like a rugged jeep or landrover? ...
Ditto, and the ambulance door with the heavy wheel was the hardest feature to tolerate. It's JDM spec and therefore hinged for drive-on-left roads. It provides no rain protection and swings out into the driving lane of parking lots.

We really liked the 80/20 split tailgate of the Mitsu Outlander (they appear to have borrowed that idea from Volvo) but the car was not dynamically equal to the RDX.