RDX Utility?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 09:23 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by dont4get2blink
hey everyone, first post, not sure if anyone will have an answer or if this is the right thread...
but just curious what the most anyone has ever towed behind an RDX?
I know it is not intended for long distance or high load towing, but was just wondering if it could handle periodically pulling a small ski boat from a loading dock to a house half a mile from the lake and back?
thanks for any help or insight!!
I'm curious to know too. I believe the manual rates that RDX towing at 1,500lbs. Does anyone have pics of the RDX with a small ski boat?
Old 03-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Docboy,

If you have a RX330 already, why would need another SUV? Wouldn't you do most of your hauling with the Lexus?

Anyways, to answer your initial question, I have 2 young kids (3 and 5) and have a 2008 RDX and a 2008 TL-S 6MT and while there are some compromises with the TL in terms of utility, I generally don't need it 99.5% of the time... Not sure if that is the same for your family.

We considered a MDX as well and while I like the styling better and the utility, it wasn't as sporty and I didn't want to drive something that big. We use the RDX and have fit 3 car seats across when needed (we have Diono Radian seats...narrowest) and have a roof rack with a Yakima box for the family vacations. We do a lot of driving trips so the box has come in handy...

I also have a hitch for the bike carrier and a cargo tray for the nasty stuff e.g. moving my lawn mower around or other stuff. Works great. I do wish they squared off the back a bit to get more room (had a 2006 CR-V before and it's amazing what a square cargo area would do with utility).

There are tradeoffs but to get something fun while still hauling the family, a few accessories here and there for the 1% of time when you need them is worth the trade off IMHO.

Good luck!

Also, the lack of rear vents is a tradeoff for the massive console that is great for all sort of stuff...
Old 03-14-2012, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by RDX Dad
Hi Docboy,

If you have a RX330 already, why would need another SUV? Wouldn't you do most of your hauling with the Lexus?

Anyways, to answer your initial question, I have 2 young kids (3 and 5) and have a 2008 RDX and a 2008 TL-S 6MT and while there are some compromises with the TL in terms of utility, I generally don't need it 99.5% of the time... Not sure if that is the same for your family.

We considered a MDX as well and while I like the styling better and the utility, it wasn't as sporty and I didn't want to drive something that big. We use the RDX and have fit 3 car seats across when needed (we have Diono Radian seats...narrowest) and have a roof rack with a Yakima box for the family vacations. We do a lot of driving trips so the box has come in handy...

I also have a hitch for the bike carrier and a cargo tray for the nasty stuff e.g. moving my lawn mower around or other stuff. Works great. I do wish they squared off the back a bit to get more room (had a 2006 CR-V before and it's amazing what a square cargo area would do with utility).

There are tradeoffs but to get something fun while still hauling the family, a few accessories here and there for the 1% of time when you need them is worth the trade off IMHO.

Good luck!

Also, the lack of rear vents is a tradeoff for the massive console that is great for all sort of stuff...
Thanks for the input!

The RX330 is my wife's daily driver, so I have limited access to it.

I'm just finding the TL's utility limiting esp with me having to go to Costco for the business. A few boxes of merchandise and I'm in trouble! Plus, I'm getting tired of arching my back to put stuff in the rear seats; my 4 year old daughter and her gear doesn't help with my lower back

I like the 1G RDX a lot, but just worried about its overly stiff ride and relatively poor gas mileage. Too be honest, even with my TL, I try to maximize mpg, but there's only so much I can do with a 2 ton, 305 hp, AWD sedan. I liken the idea of being able to get as much MPG as possible, but at the same time being able to scoot and go WOT to have fun.

A CPO 2008/2009 BMW X3 has also entered into my mind, since CR has consistently given it better than average reliability ratings on it's referesh (a rarity among German makes). I haven't driven one yet, but on paper it looks ok: decent cargo room, nice handling/steering, albeit clumsy iDrive. IF the X3 is decently reliable AND IF I can play grandma driver and get decent MPG (EPA rates the auto at 17/24 MPG compared to the RDX 17/22) AND get that same turbo feeling a la the RDX when I want to go WOT AND the ride is not as harsh as the RDX's, it might be something to consider.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Why not get a TSX wagon if you don't care about a high seating position and just want cargo space? It'll get much better mileage as well. You can only get so much fuel efficiency if you're not willing to give up some performance.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by corduroygt
Why not get a TSX wagon if you don't care about a high seating position and just want cargo space? It'll get much better mileage as well. You can only get so much fuel efficiency if you're not willing to give up some performance.
AWD is a must for the winters here and for the winter ski trips to the mountains.

If the TSX Wagon came with AWD, it would be awesome.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:28 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy
AWD is a must for the winters here and for the winter ski trips to the mountains.

If the TSX Wagon came with AWD, it would be awesome.
I see, may I interest you in an A4 Avant in that case, or is it just too expensive?
Old 03-17-2012, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by corduroygt
I see, may I interest you in an A4 Avant in that case, or is it just too expensive?
Wrt to utility, the A4 sounds enticing, but I'm not sure about the Avant's reliability history; I assume its reliability is on part with that of the A4? I also like the Q5 quite a bit, but its consistently poor reliability hx is worrisome to me.

I beginning to find the the 2008/2009 X3 interesting, esp since its reliability hx has been on part with that of its Japanese counterparts.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:59 PM

Continuing this thread: I'm considering taking on mountain biking as a sport. Has someone been able to fit 1-2 mountain bikes (plus a possible kids bike) inside a 1G RDX?
Old 05-07-2012, 12:47 AM
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Roof rack is one way to go.

Getting them inside an RDX with the seats up? Not so sure.

We had a Merc villager w/sliding removable mid seat.
Seat out- left enough room to mount 3 bikes. True utility, 7 pass, 7 bikes on the roof.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
With the seats up, I think you may only be able to squeeze 1 in. I am a road biker and I need to remove both wheels just so that I can squeeze the bike in with the handle bars at 90%. The bike will rest against the back seats.

If I was a little more careful with packaging, I might be able to squeeze a toddler bike in.

I would have used our bike rack if I had it at the time.