RDX Utility?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 11:59 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
RDX Utility?

I've been keeping a perpetual eye on getting a SUV. My wife has a RX330 as a daily driver, and we use it quite a bit on road trips. It's quite useful for traveling and hauling family/kids gear, and the amount of space is "just right" for a family.

I've eyed the MDX prior to my TL purchase; I'm starting to get the feeling the TL's utility is poor/fair at best. So thinking ahead....

I like the MDX quite a bit, but I backed out of getting a MDX b/c I felt it was too large and didn't like I can't see out the rear well (and I'm accustomed to driving sedans). But after driving the 2010 MDX, I like it quite a bit, esp w/the multi angle reverse camera. Makes parking and backing out IMHO much easier, and it has a nice utility combo (ie. towing capacity, 3rd row, cargo capacity, ground clearance).

My question is how is the utility of the RDX? Do you find the cargo capacity sufficient for a family of 3-4? Room for 3-4 bikes and a dog? How is the ground clearance? Useful for snow and mild off roading (ie. mild mountain travel), or is it a mere urban traveler?

What about towing capacity? It seems with a 1500lb towing capacity, one can't tow much more than a single ski doo.

How is long term cabin comfort? Are the front seats comfy for the driver and passenger? Is the leg/foot space ample? Is there sufficient room in the rear for 1 car seat and 2 passengers? How about 2 car seats and a middle passenger?
Old 09-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I previously owned an MDX and now own an RDX ,it is much smaller in both length and cargo carrying ability.You can fit significantly more people and things in the MDX,The RDX seats are comfortable but you would be hard pressed fitting two people and a carseat in the rear.
The RDX drives much sportier than does the MDXie; faster etc.We have, taken our RDX
on numerous trips which have consisted of luggage and three golf bags,but again the MDX fit much more(2 dogs,golf bags and luggage).Just my Opinion,but you cannot go wrong with either one
Old 09-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Advanced

Family of 3 to 4 with weekend luggage? Yes

Same family with camping equipment? No

3 to 4 bikes and a dog? Kid's bikes maybe, adult's bikes, no.

Snow? Yes, very good.

Mild off-roading? OK, but not really ideal. Low profile performance tires and stiff suspension are intended for sporty handling.

Towing 1500 pounds? Yes, a couple of dirt bikes or a PWC is the limit, but some guys here have towed cars on trailers with no apparent trouble.

Front seats are very comfortable. Rear is pretty good for 2 adults on longer trips. A car seat and 2 adults would be OK for local only. If it's kids in the back, any combination of kids and car seats that adds up to 3 should be OK.

At any rate, take your things to the dealer and see how it all fits in any vehicle you are considering.

Also, since you are coming from a cushy, wallowing Lexus RX330, a word of caution is due. The RDX is a sharp turning, flat cornering, almost jarring ride meant for for fun at the expense of comfort and isolation. Take it for a long test drive on some rough and twisty roads. If you are not a driving enthusiast, you should look elsewhere.

Last edited by Samdog-1; 09-09-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My family = two adults and a two year old and a four year old. We find we have plenty of room for cargo--we have never left something at home. We have done weekend trips with a double stroller and luggage with no problems. Others seem to need a lot of gear for their kids--not sure what you need beyond a stroller and diaper bag, but maybe we just travel light.

3/4 bikes and a dog in the cargo area is probably not happening. Not happening in an MDX either. In fact, you might need a Suburban type of vehicle or a minivan to do that.

I have never been off road. Snow is not much of a concern here. It seemed to do well on what we do get.

I would buy an old pickup if I needed to tow.

The cabin is awesomely comfortable. Best seats in any car I have ever owned. But...I am 5'9" and my wife is 5'2". I think a very tall passenger might be cramped after a while. Driver should be OK. The backseat space is better than a TL. The seats are farther from the floor than in a sedan, which effectively makes a lot more foot room since your lower legs are not a splayed forward. A car seat and two passengers in the back seat will be tight for adults. Two car seats and a passenger is a no go unless the passenger is itty bitty. My wife is 5'2" and just a shade over 100 lbs and she can do it. I cannot even come close.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Dr OP,

RDX is a great ride, and we have put it through its paces with everything from twisty washboard gravel roads to 6" snow. However IMHO it is not big enough for a growing family. If the kids are bigger then 2&3 yrs, you will need something larger. And let’s face it, eventually they will be. The rack is only good for two bikes and cargo area is very limited. Mileage is not that spectacular for a vehicle of its dimensions either. Spend the extra $9K and get the MDX.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by brizey
...Others seem to need a lot of gear for their kids...
Yes, trust me, you too will soon.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree with most of the comments here already (although I don't yet have my RDX - probably next week). You'll be able to fit much more in the MDX, but that means you'll be driving a pretty large vehicle on a daily basis. My thought process was, do I *need* that much space every day (or very often)? Not really. But it depends on your own particular needs. The MDX was also too expensive for me, so I was looking at CPOs, but even with that, I could not bring myself to spend that much money on an older vehicle when I could buy a brand new RDX.

My other concern was the ride. I really did want something a bit softer than my 04 TSX, which was becoming rather jarring, and the MDX fit that specification better. However, even the 2011 RDX rides slightly softer than my 04 TSX, so I made a compromise.

The TL just does not have much utility at all. Even the back seats don't fold down like my TSX. I can't imagine you'd be able to fit much in the TL. The trunk opening is also not that large on either the TSX or TL, so it really limits what you can put in it.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by buckeye#1
Just my Opinion,but you cannot go wrong with either one
I totally agree. The RDX and MDX seem to have their own merits, which I believe size as the determining factor, (or its lack of), as presenting its own pros and cons.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:22 AM

So I was able to have a 2010 RDX Tech (albeit 2WD) as a loaner overnight while my TL was serviced.

My initial positive impressions of the RDX:

1) Plenty of power. I enjoyed the turbo spooling/gush of air at around 3k rpms+. Plenty of low end torque for aggressive city driving to
2) Very nimble and sturdy handling. Sharp steering (much better than that of my TL) with good road feel. I was able to negotiate crazy city drivers very easily due to the RDX's ample visibility and handling.
3) The RDX's compact size made maneuvering and parking very easy.
4) Front seats pretty comfy, and rear seats were sufficient for 1 car seat and 2 medium sized adults.
5) On a scale of 1-10 for utility/room, with the Suburban being a 10, I would rate the RDX a 7. My TL for reference's sake would be a pitiful 3. Though the rear cargo space is not huge, the high roof line, square entry of the rear, and the nice folding rear seats made utility and storage very nice.
6) The RDX reminded a lot of my 05 TSX, which is a good thing. Kind of like a "raised TSX" with higher ground clearance, more rear room, more cargo space, and available SH-AWD. The only reason I traded in my TSX was that I found myself wanting AWD for the winters, and that I wanted a manual transmission w/more power.
7) My 3 year old daughter really like the RDX, and enjoyed playing and exploring the trunk area and the folding rear seats
8) My wife enjoyed the RDX as well, which is surprising. Again, she has a 05 RX330 as her daily driver, and she liked the RDX's power and nimbleness around town.
9) Pretty firm ride, similar to that of the TSX and my current TL. I'm not a fan of the floaty-Lexus/Toyota ride.
10) The general interior and rear leg area has nice flat floors and no unusual humps. My TL has weird humps and steps all over the place.
11) Nice comfy cabin with a business decor, typical high grade interior of all Acura's IMHO.
12) Nice forward, side, and decent rear visibility. Blind spots are almost non existent, esp with the aid of the rear view camera.
13) The surprising thing is that in driving the RDX, I did not feel like I was driving a big SUV that was hard to see, difficult to park/back up, and hard to tell other car's distance from you. I was very pleasantly surprised the RDX literally drive like a turbo charged TSX. I felt I could direct the RDX in a "point and shoot" manner (much like a BMW 3 series if I dare say) which I'm guessing is because of the RDX's compact dimensions; my TL does not feel that way, partly because of its larger exterior dimensions (which unfortunately does not translate into a larger interior oddly compared to the RDX) and that the TL's EPS is fairly numb and needs more refinement/road feel.

Some cons:
1) For the AWD version (which I would need due to inclement weather), poor mpg and requirement to use premium fuel.
2) 2010+ models have a polarizing front IMHO. My TL has a polarizing front and rear that I have to look at every day. The RDX's rear is nice; the front would be something I have to deal with.
3) No rear vents for the rear passengers
4) No HDD to copy CDs
5) No push button start

Overall, I was very pleased with the RDX. I'm kicking myself in the rear end for not considering the RDX when I purchased the TL. But in general, I found the RDX very sporty due to its very responsive turbo engine, nimble handling with good steering feel, comfy cabin, and decent utility space. Utility in the RDX seemed to be "just enough" without being excessive (at least from my initial impressions). On top of it, my wife and daughter all enjoyed the vehicle. My wife even wanted me to trade the TL in for the RDX today

I'm going to try to get a MDX as a day loaner and post my impressions/comparison notes soon.

The question now becomes: Could the RDX (or MDX) replace my TL 6MT as a daily driver? I'm finding out (again) that a stick shift daily driver is a bit tiring for my legs and hands. I reckon though I may have that urge to drive stick shift every once in a while. A 911 has always been on my radar wish list (perhaps a CPO 911 can be a future 3rd weekend car)
Old 09-12-2010, 07:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by docboy
So I was able to have a 2010 RDX Tech (albeit 2WD) as a loaner overnight while my TL was serviced.

My initial positive impressions of the RDX:

1) Plenty of power. I enjoyed the turbo spooling/gush of air at around 3k rpms+. Plenty of low end torque for aggressive city driving to It's even better with a reflash.
2) Very nimble and sturdy handling. Sharp steering (much better than that of my TL) with good road feel. I was able to negotiate crazy city drivers very easily due to the RDX's ample visibility and handling. 19"?
3) The RDX's compact size made maneuvering and parking very easy.
4) Front seats pretty comfy, and rear seats were sufficient for 1 car seat and 2 medium sized adults.
5) On a scale of 1-10 for utility/room, with the Suburban being a 10, I would rate the RDX a 7. My TL for reference's sake would be a pitiful 3. Though the rear cargo space is not huge, the high roof line, square entry of the rear, and the nice folding rear seats made utility and storage very nice.
It's really a lot smaller then it looks. You can't get a full-sized mower back there even with the seats down and handle disassembled.
6) The RDX reminded a lot of my 05 TSX, which is a good thing. Kind of like a "raised TSX" with higher ground clearance, more rear room, more cargo space, and available SH-AWD. The only reason I traded in my TSX was that I found myself wanting AWD for the winters, and that I wanted a manual transmission w/more power.
7) My 3 year old daughter really like the RDX, and enjoyed playing and exploring the trunk area and the folding rear seats
Remember, they bring more stuff with themselves and friends every year they grow. Really, I think they do it on purpose.
8) My wife enjoyed the RDX as well, which is surprising. Again, she has a 05 RX330 as her daily driver, and she liked the RDX's power and nimbleness around town.
9) Pretty firm ride, similar to that of the TSX and my current TL. I'm not a fan of the floaty-Lexus/Toyota ride.
10) The general interior and rear leg area has nice flat floors and no unusual humps. My TL has weird humps and steps all over the place.
11) Nice comfy cabin with a business decor, typical high grade interior of all Acura's IMHO.
12) Nice forward, side, and decent rear visibility. Blind spots are almost non existent, esp with the aid of the rear view camera. A-piller blocks your view often.
13) The surprising thing is that in driving the RDX, I did not feel like I was driving a big SUV that was hard to see, difficult to park/back up, and hard to tell other car's distance from you. I was very pleasantly surprised the RDX literally drive like a turbo charged TSX. I felt I could direct the RDX in a "point and shoot" manner (much like a BMW 3 series if I dare say) which I'm guessing is because of the RDX's compact dimensions; my TL does not feel that way, partly because of its larger exterior dimensions (which unfortunately does not translate into a larger interior oddly compared to the RDX) and that the TL's EPS is fairly numb and needs more refinement/road feel.

Some cons:
1) For the AWD version (which I would need due to inclement weather), poor mpg and requirement to use premium fuel.
2) 2010+ models have a polarizing front IMHO. My TL has a polarizing front and rear that I have to look at every day. The RDX's rear is nice; the front would be something I have to deal with.
3) No rear vents for the rear passengers
4) No HDD to copy CDs
5) No push button start

Overall, I was very pleased with the RDX. I'm kicking myself in the rear end for not considering the RDX when I purchased the TL. But in general, I found the RDX very sporty due to its very responsive turbo engine, nimble handling with good steering feel, comfy cabin, and decent utility space. Utility in the RDX seemed to be "just enough" without being excessive (at least from my initial impressions). On top of it, my wife and daughter all enjoyed the vehicle. My wife even wanted me to trade the TL in for the RDX today

I'm going to try to get a MDX as a day loaner and post my impressions/comparison notes soon.

The question now becomes: Could the RDX (or MDX) replace my TL 6MT as a daily driver? A growing family needs both. I'm finding out (again) that a stick shift daily driver is a bit tiring for my legs and hands. I reckon though I may have that urge to drive stick shift every once in a while. A 911 has always been on my radar wish list (perhaps a CPO 911 can be a future 3rd weekend car)
I had a 911, it was the biggest money sucking beast I've ever owned.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Senior Moderator

I had pretty much the same conclusions as you. I still have my TSX, so it's easy to compare the two, and I agree and have said before, that the RDX really seems like a raised TSX. I've grown very used to the nimbleness and size of my TSX and was really afraid of big lumbering SUV with bad blind spots, and the RDX is definitely not at all like that. What a relief!

Side note: I really needed my RDX today. I made a big trip to Costco and just barely fit everything in my TSX. There's something just about every weekend that makes me wish I had my RDX already.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:30 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
MDX - u will feel the cramping with the RDX stuffed with kids AND all the cargo that you want - the MDX u can stuff it and remain very comfortable in the process.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MMike1981
MDX - u will feel the cramping with the RDX stuffed with kids AND all the cargo that you want - the MDX u can stuff it and remain very comfortable in the process.
Exactly, take it from me, a fat guy,
more room is better!
Old 09-13-2010, 10:29 AM
big shot.

plus, the 2011 RDX looks terrible. at least with the MDX, ull be riding with much more luxury AND style. you may not have as much fun driving/tossing the MDX, but overall, the MDX package is way better and there is negligible differences in MPG between the models.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:50 PM
big shot.

also, add the lack of rear HVAC ON TOP of no rear entertainment options whatsoever - the RDX can cart one kid maybe 2 around, but its lacking overall in that department, especially also the lack of storage in the back seat (just map pocket and TINY door pocket) & no cup holders unless the rear armrest is down...i have no gripes with the space in the back, its bigger in back than it appears and rather probably the most comfortable seating/back seat in this class...but its barren back there.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Still don't know what the heck everyone carts around for their kids--everyone says "stuff", then never specifies what all this stuff is. The backseat is large enough for 6' plus adults, so body space should never be an issue for kids.

I will not be driving the RDX by the time my kids have friends along--Texas requires booster seats until 8, so no extra kids for a long time. Never really comes up for younger kids anyway.

The AC to the back seat seem to work just fine, and I live in Texas. Unnecessary expense in my opinion--I'm glad I did not pay for it. My kids have never complained about the temperature after a few minutes.

Proper cupholders in the rear doors (not the goofy widening of the lower pocket) would have been nice. I guess they did not want to intrude into the rear seat space, but width never seems to be an issue. Not sure what they were thinking.

Rear seat entertainment should have been included as an option. It would have to be headrest style since there is not really room behind the sunroof on the ceiling.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:10 AM
big shot.

HVAC should be nothing but standard equipment for the RDX price, in this class. its not something that i guess 'should be paid for'. I ride with a full car for the majority of my weekends and that is the first complaint i hear. just my experience. when people are sweaty during the summer, and cold during the winter, nothing replicates your own ac or heat ... the under seat footwell ducts dont cut it.

by stuff - even being a single male - i can routinely fill up my rdx, trip to target, hit lowes, add in the briefcase and random things, its easy to cart around enough stuff and feel cluttered in the RDX. i generally keep my car barren of ANYTHING, but even a small weekend getaway with gf - 2-3 bags, odds n ends, throw in the bike with a wheel off, you got a packed RDX with not much extra space to add shopping bags etc. thats been my experience - so let me just say - COMPLETELY suitable for my lifestyle - but when i have to drive my nephew somewhere in the car seat, i cant imagine having a family of 4 and seeing out the back window when ur heading somewhere.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:14 AM

Here are my impressions after having driven a 2009 MDX Tech service loaner with 20,000 miles on the odometer for a day:

Positives:
1) The MDX is much larger than the RDX; it feels larger inside and drivers "larger." Inside, the MDX feels very cavernous. There is more than enough room in the front, and the front "captain's chairs" are very roomy and comfy. My legs don't feel cramped and room to breather; in the RDX, my legs felt "just right." The rear 2nd row is more than adequate, though not that much roomier than that of the RDX. The MDX's overall cabin is spacious and nice, though the front row is where it shines IMHO. The 3rd seems to useful for emergencies or for small kids.
2) The MDX's cargo area (with the 3rd row not in use) is huge. Very useful, as I was able to fit a baby's high chair in its original box in the trunk (which is impressive), and then also tossed in a few picture frames in the rear, with room in the spare.
3) The MDX drives very solid and secure. My wife mentions it "feels safe." It's very stable and planted.
4) The MDX has a more pleasant exterior styling overall; the RDX (at least for the 2010) has a velociraptor front.
5) The MDX has a comfy ride in the city and highway. It absorbs bumps pretty well, though is just a tad softer than the 2010 RDX's. On the freeway it's definitely a nice ride.
6) The rear HVAC is nice. My daughter and wife were adjusting the temp and air flow, and they enjoyed their own blast of AC. Why the RDX doesn't have a rear HVAC (or at least a vent , which even the TSX and TL have) is beyond me.

However....

1) The MDX is nowhere near as tossable or nimble like the RDX. You just cannot hide the size of the MDX; one cannot "dart in and out of lanes and cars" in crazy city traffic. There is no mistaking the MDX is a large SUV.

The RDX just feels and drives like a sports sedan, reminiscent of my TL without the manual gear shifting.

The difference between the two in this driving and "nimblesness aspect" is huge.

2) Even though the MDX has a 300HP V-6, it doesn't "feel" powerful. There is ample power, but I definitely will not be racing other sedans if I feel that need for speed. The RDX has lots of low end torque, and the turbo boost is very addicting IMHO.

For comparison's sake, my TL's 305 HP V-6 is just a monster in 6MT form.
3) The MDX's mpg is poor; while driving the MDX, I can literally see the mpg gauge fall minute after minute.
4) The MDX has a huge blind spot in the rear passenger's side. The rear view camera helps though.

Overall, the MDX is definitely more of a "luxo cruiser" and nice family trip vehicle for a family of 4 easily, with more than enough room. It however, does not scream "excitement."

As I wrote above, the RDX seems more like a sports sedan on a raised SUV platform; it's very fun to drive due to the turbo and suspension. I even wager that with the turbo and boost, I didn't miss the RDX not having a manual transmission. It seems the RDX would fit a family of 3 fine, with 4 being the limit. The big question I have to decide is if there will be enough cargo room for a family trip, and for the trips to Costco and Home Depot
Old 09-20-2010, 09:54 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just wondering how can MDX carry 3 to 4 bikes and a dog?
Old 09-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I own an MDX and love every aspect of it (except mpg, but knew what I was getting into anyways). Very comfortable ride whether it's in the city, highway, long or short trips. Room has never been an issue, Don't use the cargo space or 3rd row seats much, but it's nice to have just in case.

I've been driving a 10 RDX as a loaner for the last two days and find it to be a very nice ride, comfortable seats, light, responsive engine, feels like a sport sedan Rear cargo is adequate but not so useful for tall stuff. Today I could not fit a power washer machine in the back or did not try too hard in fear of scratching the cargo area. The wife loves it and we wouldn't mind having one down the line. I'm averaging 17 mpg mostly short trips. If only they could fix a few rattles and noises here and there.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:43 PM
big shot.

the raised floor of the RDX cargo hold and lack of illumination back there SUCK. BIG TIME. something as simple as buying a single plastic outdoor lounge chair (not one where the back reclines) is even a task to get in.

the RDX is great for the trips here n there, and smaller vacations, but family of 3 or 4 PLUS stuff..id much rather be in something else. i take alot of people to/from air port - and a family of 3 is brutal. thats just my experience. I wouldnt be able to fit luggage for a 4th person.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So far I haven't had any problems fitting everything I need in the back of my RDX. I have 11 month old twins, so we end up with a fair bit of gear wherever we go and it always fits. The other day I had 2 computers, 4 23" monitors and other assorted computer parts in the back, along with my double stroller and had no problems seeing out the back.

We also had enough room to get the twins and all of our luggage for a trip to China in the RDX with no trouble. Didn't even have to use the back seat. Can't say the same for our friend's GLK350. It was a real struggle to fit everything in when she picked us up at the airport. I even held stuff on my lap in the front seat. But it all fit in the back of the RDX when I transferred it over.

MDX definitely gives a lot more room in the back with the 3rd row folded down. If you need to use the 3rd row, though, the back is pretty useless.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:58 AM
Instructor

No family here, but I do photography as a side job and I have no problems fitting 2 studio strobes, light stands, softbox (48" I think) and beauty dish (22" round) with mine and my partner's camera gear/bags, laptops and other miscellaneous items in there. That's the most cargo I've ever had to haul in the RDX to date. I'm interested to find out how easy it would be to put my mountain bike back there and take it to the trails...but I'm waiting for a cargo liner before I do something like that.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I've googled into acurazine a few times, finally decided to register and properly navigate into the forums.

sure am glad I did, what an enlightening thread.

Backstory: My GF and I have been getting along with the combo of: her car (03 Pontiac Vibe GT) + my bike (05 BMW R1200GS), and I'm realizing that I'm just not digging the motorcycle thing so much anymore, and we're getting old enough that we'll probably be starting to think about kids in the next 4-6 years, so we've started looking around for a new vehicle plan to move towards. So, relatively quickly, I zeroed in on a Honda Ridgeline as my next vehicle, and I started looking for a replacement for the Vibe...

It was a painful realization (because it made me feel stupid, you can all feel free to laugh), but doing the math has shown me that having an economical car and a bike is just, well, it's just plain more expensive than buying a sporty car and skipping the bike.

So, armed with this realization, we've been looking for a car for her that is sporty, classy, and practical. We used to own a Z-28, and the vibe is nice and sporty in it's own way (as I said, it's a GT, 2ZZ-GE engine, VVTL-i baby.. I just hit vtec yo!) but we do miss that extra edge and alacrity of the Camaro.

So, we found the RDX, we've even test driven it and, well, it really seems to fit the bill at first blush. The opinions in this thread have really flushed out my opinion on the RDX, that I'm not just kidding myself thinking it's a real alternative to a sport sedan.

It felt like it had all the space and practical touches we've come to really appreciate in our Vibe, with a lot of the speed and handling of the Camaro, and the character of the turbo engine is a ton more fun than a bigger NA mill. Our vibe doesn't have rear HVAC, but it's never been a problem for back seat passengers, even during long drives in the hotter parts of the Central California summers. I wonder if it's the leather seats of the RDX that exacerbate the issue?

Anyway, I know I'm posing the question to the faithful, but is the RDX the droid I am looking for? something sporty, classy, and practical for 4 adults to day-trip around in?

Thanks again docboy for this thread, comparing the RDX to what my internal doubt engine was guiding me towards as the enthusiast's choice, the TL 6MT
Old 09-28-2010, 06:43 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I think that if you had no issues with the space in your Vibe, the Rdx should not be a problem. It all depends on your individual needs.

on a side note, what was that you just hit Vtec thing? LOL
Old 09-28-2010, 07:01 PM
Instructor

I run on a strict diet of black coffee and internet memes,

I'm referring to the vibe GT having a secondary cam lobe that engages at 6800rpm, with a frantic top end rush.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Instructor

Also, despite the thread being more a question of the RDX's utility, it's actual it's sportiness that I had my doubts about. (and a lot of what was addressed by the OP)

sorry for the quick double post, don't see an option for editing
Old 09-28-2010, 09:27 PM
big shot.

sporty yes, classy no. practical, of course, its sticker tells u up front what to expect.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by DannyZRC
Thanks again docboy for this thread, comparing the RDX to what my internal doubt engine was guiding me towards as the enthusiast's choice, the TL 6MT
I'm sure you saw from my signature that I currently drive a 2010 TL 6MT. Definitely an enthusiast's car.

I dare say though, that the RDX is pretty darn close to driving a sports sedan; definitely has more power than my prior 1G TSX, feels more nimble than the MDX, and even "drives smaller" than my TL, a la the TSX.

I still don't know if the RDX is worth trading in my TL...yet. I do know I need more utility.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:30 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMike1981
sporty yes, classy no. practical, of course, its sticker tells u up front what to expect.
Can't say I expected the classy part to be disputed.

I guess it's all in the eye of the beerholder .

I guess what we're looking for is a WRX for grownups, the RDX seems to be a pretty good fit for that.

must hurt to think about taking a dive on your TL doc =X, are you sure you guys need 2x practical cars....so soon?
Old 09-29-2010, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by DannyZRC
Can't say I expected the classy part to be disputed.

I guess it's all in the eye of the beerholder .

I guess what we're looking for is a WRX for grownups, the RDX seems to be a pretty good fit for that.

must hurt to think about taking a dive on your TL doc =X, are you sure you guys need 2x practical cars....so soon?
WRX for grownups I think the TL 6MT closely fits that bill, at least some magazine editors have labeled the 2010 TL 6MT and S4 as "life after Evo" (which the WRX competes against).

I'm trying to delay needing 2 practical cars as long as possible, unless I can get an equal trade in for a 2010 RDX Tech AWD.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:01 PM
Instructor

WRX for grownups I think the TL 6MT closely fits that bill, at least some magazine editors have labeled the 2010 TL 6MT and S4 as "life after Evo" (which the WRX competes against).

I'm trying to delay needing 2 practical cars as long as possible, unless I can get an equal trade in for a 2010 RDX Tech AWD.
Googled your life after evo comment, came up with: https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/automobilemag-com-acura-tl-vs-audi-s4-783953/#post12183032

gonna give that a read now, though I doubt I'd consider an S4, the price of entry may not be that much higher, but the care and feeding... youch! .
Old 10-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by brizey
Still don't know what the heck everyone carts around for their kids--everyone says "stuff", then never specifies what all this stuff is.
...and three weeks later, still no one can answer this.

We got everything we needed in the back for a trip to Sea World in San Antonio last spring, including a double stroller http://www.joovy.com/pages/pd_cabooseultralight.php. We got everything in we needed for a cabin trip for a long weekend, including charcoal and an big ice chest. We will get everything we need for a trip to Malaysia in the back, too. And for our trip to Ohio at Christmas again.

I guess we will just keep packing with more sanity and have a better drive and $8,000 more in my pocket.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:23 PM
big shot.

apparently the dictionary doesnt do a good enough job

stuff |stəf|
noun
1 matter, material, articles, or activities of a specified or indeterminate kind that are being referred to, indicated, or implied : a pickup truck picked the stuff up | a girl who's good at the technical stuff.
• a person's belongings, equipment, or baggage : he took his stuff and went.
• Brit., informal dated worthless or foolish ideas, speech, or writing; rubbish : [as exclam. ] stuff and nonsense !
• informal drink or drugs.
• ( one's stuff) things in which one is knowledgeable and experienced; one's area of expertise : he knows his stuff and can really write.
2 the basic constituents or characteristics of something or someone : Healey was made of sterner stuff | such a trip was the stuff of his dreams.
3 Brit., dated woolen fabric, esp. as distinct from silk, cotton, and linen : [as adj. ] her dark stuff gown.
4 (in sports) spin given to a ball to make it vary its course.
• Baseball a pitcher’s ability to produce such spin or control the speed of delivery of a pitch.

do we need to itemize a list for you? everyone STUFF will be different from everyone else, but i think the use of the term, as a noun is sufficient, but apparently its not.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:29 AM

2nd RDX loaner observations

Today, I'm having an opportunity to drive a 2010 RDX AWD Tech loaner. Some more observations:

1) The RDX does not have a sunglass holder (at least not one near the rear view mirror). I guess one would place sunglasses in the middle console or in the hidden compartment near the door handles.

2) The RDX's ELS system sounds really good, dare I say better than my 4G TL's ELS system. I'm guessing it's because of the RDX's open cabin, the subwoofer seems to have better response. And I also just noticed the rear speakers/tweeters mounted just above ear level are aimed directly in the front. The overall sound ambience is "roomy and envelopes" you better than the TL.

3) Using the turbo immediately drops the mpg to single digits. If I drive "like a slow poke" and very conservatively without the turbo meter going up, I noticed the mpg is in the mid 20s. Of course, no turbo = no fun

I noticed the power on the AWD RDX seems to feel a tad bit slower than the FWD version, though it's not a biggie.

4) The RDX does not have a engine temperature gauge.

5) The RDX steering is solid and has a nice feel to the road. I saw a steering pump fluid container underneath the engine cover, so I am assuming the RDX does not have EPS (which IMHO is a good thing).

6) This is the 2nd RDX I've noticed that after driving and parking it on the driveway, a little fluid drips down beneath the chassis. The first time this occurred, I mentioned it to the tech and he said it was just AC condensation. Since this is the 2nd and also different RDX I've noticed this on, I'm assuming this fluid dripping is "normal."

7) The middle console armrest storage area has hidden nooks directly beneath the cover's underside. Pretty handy for storing coins, cards, etc.

8) The RDX's front IMHO continues to be even more polarizing than the 4G TL's. The grill needs to go; anyone if RonJon or anyone is developing an aftermarket grill?

9) My 3yr old daughter continues to love playing in the RDX for some reason.

Last edited by docboy; 10-08-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:27 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1) It is in the doors
2) it rocks like mad... Try a DVD-A !
3) yes - turbo 'sucks' gas
4) water temp only
5)
6) if you are using the A/C, all cars drip condesnation
7)
8) love the 07-09 front
9) my boys love it to because it is 'fast'

Old 10-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Today, I'm having an opportunity to drive a 2010 RDX AWD Tech loaner. Some more observations:

1) The RDX does not have a sunglass holder (at least not one near the rear view mirror). I guess one would place sunglasses in the middle console or in the hidden compartment near the door handles.

2) The RDX's ELS system sounds really good, dare I say better than my 4G TL's ELS system. I'm guessing it's because of the RDX's open cabin, the subwoofer seems to have better response. And I also just noticed the rear speakers/tweeters mounted just above ear level are aimed directly in the front. The overall sound ambience is "roomy and envelopes" you better than the TL.

3) Using the turbo immediately drops the mpg to single digits. If I drive "like a slow poke" and very conservatively without the turbo meter going up, I noticed the mpg is in the mid 20s. Of course, no turbo = no fun

I noticed the power on the AWD RDX seems to feel a tad bit slower than the FWD version, though it's not a biggie.

4) The RDX does not have a engine temperature gauge.

5) The RDX steering is solid and has a nice feel to the road. I saw a steering pump fluid container underneath the engine cover, so I am assuming the RDX does not have EPS (which IMHO is a good thing).

6) This is the 2nd RDX I've noticed that after driving and parking it on the driveway, a little fluid drips down beneath the chassis. The first time this occurred, I mentioned it to the tech and he said it was just AC condensation. Since this is the 2nd and also different RDX I've noticed this on, I'm assuming this fluid dripping is "normal."

7) The middle console armrest storage area has hidden nooks directly beneath the cover's underside. Pretty handy for storing coins, cards, etc.

8) The RDX's front IMHO continues to be even more polarizing than the 4G TL's. The grill needs to go; anyone if RonJon or anyone is developing an aftermarket grill?

9) My 3yr old daughter continues to love playing in the RDX for some reason.
For some reason, I did not notice the absence of a sunglass holder during my test drive. I was surprised when I picked it up that there wasn't one. Not the end of the world, but it is kind of annoying to have to get used to putting my sunglasses somewhere else now. I've been using the top shelf of the center console, but may switch to the door compartment.

I haven't had any dripping from my '11 RDX, but it's also been cooler most days so it hasn't been put to use as much. However, I would say this is normal for all cars - my 04 TSX always had it.

I've been pleasantly surprised by my mpg thus far. I've only filled up a handful of times, and each time I calculate it, it goes up a little bit. It has gone from 19.8 to 22.8 with mostly highway driving, but a bit of stop and go traffic in there as well. The 19.8 was the first tank, using 87 octane, and we sat for a long time with it idling during delivery and at home, trying to work all the gadgets. I was eager to see my last tank's results, but the attendant ripped off the receipt right before it said how many gallons went in, so I missed out on that one. I consistently got higher than the EPA ratings for my TSX, so I hope to continue that with the RDX. As long as you don't stomp on the gas too much, it should be decent. I do see the turbo go up quite a bit, so it's not like I'm driving like a granny, you just need to get used to the acceleration. I have just over 1000 miles now.

The sound system is indeed better than my 04 TSX. I am absolutely loving the iPod connection.

The front end is polarizing, yes, and takes some getting used to. However, I think I'm finally used to it and it doesn't bother me much. The fog light trim could be better, but I don't cringe at it like I did when the first photos of the refresh came out. I guess it has a lot of other good points that help me overlook the negative parts.

I definitely like the overall feel of the RDX on the highway better than my old TSX. It feels much more planted and secure on the ground and easier to keep going straight. The steering is more weighted, and maybe the AWD helps some? The drawback to this is that it feels heavier and less nimble in turns and parking lots, but I'll get used to it.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by luvmytsx
i consistently got higher than the epa ratings for my tsx, so i hope to continue that with the rdx. As long as you don't stomp on the gas too much, it should be decent. I do see the turbo go up quite a bit, so it's not like i'm driving like a granny, you just need to get used to the acceleration. I have just over 1000 miles now.
Keep us updated on your mpg. I too when I had my 1G TSX gotten higher than epa ratings. If you can get 25mpg in mixed driving, that would be awesome (of course, limiting the turbo use).

Originally Posted by luvmytsx
i definitely like the overall feel of the rdx on the highway better than my old tsx. It feels much more planted and secure on the ground and easier to keep going straight. The steering is more weighted, and maybe the awd helps some? The drawback to this is that it feels heavier and less nimble in turns and parking lots, but i'll get used to it.
Recollecting, IMHO the FWD RDX feels a little more nimble than the AWD RDX, which I'm guessing is due to its lesser weight and quicker engine response time. The RDX's steering is nicely weighted, although I recall the TSX's steering had excellent feedback as well.

I totally agree, the RDX AWD feels much more planted/secure than the TSX. One complaint I had with the TSX was that in the rain/snow, I didn't feel very confident; with the RDX and 4G TL, the SH-AWD system feels glued to the road in wet/slippery conditions.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
As soon as I sat inside the MDX, I immediately knew it wasn't for me. That thing screams "Utility" while the RDX screams "sport"

I just really like the way mine drives and I usually turn off VSA around my place on rainy days and light traffic so I can feel the torque vectoring better. I just wanted a sporty car that I could drive in bad weather, one that had excellent visibility, and one that could carry a fair amount of stuff.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:55 PM
1st Gear

hey everyone, first post, not sure if anyone will have an answer or if this is the right thread...
but just curious what the most anyone has ever towed behind an RDX?
I know it is not intended for long distance or high load towing, but was just wondering if it could handle periodically pulling a small ski boat from a loading dock to a house half a mile from the lake and back?
thanks for any help or insight!!

Quick Reply: RDX Utility?