RDX with Tech or G35 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 07:03 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX with Tech or G35 Sedan

I realize i'm cross shopping two completely different types of cars...but I'm in a quandry over which one i like better. The G is a couple of thousand more. I've test driven both. I was pleasantly surprised by the power of the RDX compared to my Forester XT that I drive today. The Forester is quick and the RDX felt the same, but of course handled much better than my current rig. The G is quick (granted 306hp) etc. - it nice and comfortable too, but lacks trunck space. Anyone here considered both cars before making their purchase. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Advanced

I also drove the G35x right before buying my RDX Tech, along with the FX, the MDX, the X3 and the Touareg. The G was very nice but I decided I wanted to try a small SUV for a while. The G was too low to the ground for me and the steering just didn't feel right to me.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:22 PM
Racer

If you don't need the cargo space, you can almost always get better performance and better gas mileage and better value from some (but not all) sedans.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Cruisin'

I was debating the same thing and went with the RDX. Among other personal preferences, I just wanted a more flexible body style.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wesy
I realize i'm cross shopping two completely different types of cars...but I'm in a quandry over which one i like better. The G is a couple of thousand more. I've test driven both. I was pleasantly surprised by the power of the RDX compared to my Forester XT that I drive today. The Forester is quick and the RDX felt the same, but of course handled much better than my current rig. The G is quick (granted 306hp) etc. - it nice and comfortable too, but lacks trunck space. Anyone here considered both cars before making their purchase. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I totally understand that! I've shopped like that. It all depends on your tastes & needs. I traded a G35x in for the RDX. I did like the G for many reasons, (it was an '05) I didn't like several little things.
It was harder to get in & out of (even w/ the tilt wheel feature), felt tight driving in it, orange guages were fugly & the Infiniti dealer wouldn't work at all with me towards a trade-in on an FX 35!
So I went back to the Acura dealer & spoke to the salesman I know very well, said I MIGHT be interested in the RDX.... he threw us the keys to a black one & said "take for a long drive"! Well.... the rest is history! I loved the RDX. Had the room I liked, handled quite well for an SUV, good acceloration, liked the interior, & he had the color we liked! I can carry things in the back MUCH easier & it's not that much bigger than the G in size. It will all depend on how you FEEL inside driving both. The Infiniti was a nice car. Don't get me wrong, but I didn't like carry things on the rear leather seats!! Well, good luck on your choice.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:27 PM
Cruisin'

I am in a similar situation deciding between the RDX and G35. For me, the answer is the Infiniti EX which I will wait for before making any decision.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:39 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
You took the words right outta my mouth!

Originally Posted by orbitwhite
I am in a similar situation deciding between the RDX and G35. For me, the answer is the Infiniti EX which I will wait for before making any decision.
I had the same dilemma... until the Infiniti EX concept came along!!! Now I am pretty convinced that the EX may just be THE answer....
Old 05-12-2007, 08:36 AM
Cruisin'

I think the EX looks very nice. My gut tells me it will be more luxurious and less functional than I want. I'm also thinking it will feel a lot smaller inside than the RDX. Similar car, but a slightly different target.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by buchananmb
I think the EX looks very nice. My gut tells me it will be more luxurious and less functional than I want. I'm also thinking it will feel a lot smaller inside than the RDX. Similar car, but a slightly different target.
I agree with part of what you are saying. I think the ex35 will cost a few thousand more, will have less interior space, but will have more performance. Pretty much like all the acura vs infiniti comparisons.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Cruisin'

This is an interesting thread because these were the two cars I had narrowed my options down to. Both are great new cars that offer amazing technology, handling and luxury for the price. I chose the RDX for a few reasons, but it was a hard decision.

These were my main factors for the RDX:

1. RDX has versatility of hatchback and lots of space. Also feels much more spacious in the interior personal space (like being in business class rather than coach on an airplane).
2. RDX has more comfortable seats. The new G35 has a greatly improved seats and interior over the old G35 but the RDX has some of the most supportive seats on the market.
3. RDX has lower price in current market conditions and Acura is giving incentives (*3.9% for 60 months, invoice pricing), G35x can cost a lot more with options and there are no great incentives on it). RDX comes standard with everything.

Some things that made it a harder decision for me and were areas that the G35 clearly had the RDX beat for me were:
1. Superior powerplant in the G35, that V6 is a beast!
2. G35 has some beautiful paint colors, great choices.
3. G35 is faster, more aerodynamic and has cooler styling.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:17 AM
Race Director

Tough call, by looks alone this is just my opinion, but sorry guys the styling of the RDX is kind of bland, but it's good bland. The G35 just looks better to me and more stylish. This is kind of odd comparing an SUV to a car though. Should be more like RDX vs upcoming EX35.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:38 AM
Intermediate

do the rear seats fold on the G35? i don't believe so...

g35 vs. rdx basically comes down to... do you want a crossover or do you want a sedan?

once that decision is made... you will have your vehicle...
Old 05-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Intermediate

I never thought there would be so many people with that dilema. When my wife bought her RDX she was considering the new G. The problem was that she needed a car in a hurry and the new G wasn't avalibale. Now she is really happy with the RDX and best of all she has given me permission to buy a G35

I think it all comes down to wether you need an SUV or a car. Both are graet choices IMHO.

BTW. I'm also changing a Subaru, an Outback Limited (former WRX owner). It is sad to see them losing costumerns just beacuse they missed the mark with the Tribeca and the LGT.

William
Old 05-14-2007, 11:07 AM
Racer

It is a huge compliment to the RDX that it is regularly compared to sports sedans. Comparably sized/priced sedans will always be lighter weight than SUVs because of the simpler drive train and much smaller cargo space. Lower weight gives you better performance, better handling, and better gas mileage. The RDX engineers did a good job of addressing these issues, but I think if you don't need the cargo space then you will still have more fun in a sedan. If I didn't regularly haul my sports gear around, then I wouldn't have gotten a SUV.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:12 AM
07 Carbon Gray/Ebony

Coming from an '03 G35, I was drawn to the new G model. Huge improvement in many areas over the previous generation. Comparing it to the RDX, it was a tough choice. I was down to these two cars, but chose the RDX. I personally wanted something different from my previous car. The G35 was/is an evolution over my last car, whereas the RDX was a revolution. Cargo flexibility is a huge plus.
Both are excellent cars, in terms of technology, performance, quality, etc. Of course the G35 will outperform the RDX... It all comes down to personal preference... As far MPG, I would expect both to get 19-20 in everyday driving. At least that is my experience with my G and my RDX...
Old 05-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am also surprised that I have gone down the same path as others.

I wanted the G35x and the wife wanted the RDX to replace her old CRV.

We got the RDX. You can see who wears the pants in the house.

BTW, I'm loving her choice. It's a great ride!
Old 05-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL. The two vehicles that are on my short list as well.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:30 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by ConradE46
I am also surprised that I have gone down the same path as others.

I wanted the G35x and the wife wanted the RDX to replace her old CRV.

We got the RDX. You can see who wears the pants in the house.

BTW, I'm loving her choice. It's a great ride!

Whoa man you got whipped. Well if your wife is hot I guess it doesn't matter