RDX and snow

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 11:05 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX and snow

Hello guys,

I am just curious how your RDX's have performed in snow. I live in IL, and my Mom is planning on getting a new RDX. She has a pretty steep driveway, so she needs something that won't have trouble getting up it in the snow. I guess my main concern is, with the RDX's low clearance, did anyone have trouble in deep snow or get stuck in the snow?
Old 06-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Advanced

I live in northern IL and bought the RDX on January 29th. You know what kind of February we had! I thought the RDX went great in the snow and there were several days when we had to drive unplowed streets with 6"+ of snow - no problems at all, you had trouble even telling if the RDX was slipping. Another big test occurred one morning after about 6-7 inches of snow the night before where wind drifted the snow to over two feet in our driveway. Our driveway is on a slight recline and the RDX literally plowed right through this, both coming out and going into the garage.

The only thing that happened this winter that you need to watch is when going through deeper snow, ice can buildup on the alloys causing the wheels to go out of balance. All you need to do is kick off the ice and/or go to a self-serve car wash and spray the ice off the tires. This only happened to me one or two times however.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Instructor

I agree. I live in upstate NY and the RDX is great in snow. No problems what so ever. I had a Honda CRV before this and the Acura kills it in snow.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:57 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mlb11
I live in northern IL and bought the RDX on January 29th. You know what kind of February we had! I thought the RDX went great in the snow and there were several days when we had to drive unplowed streets with 6"+ of snow - no problems at all, you had trouble even telling if the RDX was slipping. Another big test occurred one morning after about 6-7 inches of snow the night before where wind drifted the snow to over two feet in our driveway. Our driveway is on a slight recline and the RDX literally plowed right through this, both coming out and going into the garage.

The only thing that happened this winter that you need to watch is when going through deeper snow, ice can buildup on the alloys causing the wheels to go out of balance. All you need to do is kick off the ice and/or go to a self-serve car wash and spray the ice off the tires. This only happened to me one or two times however.
Is it a dealership visit if this occurs, or just simply a matter of removing the ice/snow build up so that the tire is back in balance?
Old 06-17-2007, 01:37 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JLTSX07
Is it a dealership visit if this occurs, or just simply a matter of removing the ice/snow build up so that the tire is back in balance?
No dealership visit is necessary. Like the guy before you said, all that needs to be done is you need to remove the ice (or whatever is stuck on your wheel) to restore proper balance to your wheel(s). If you do have an ice buildup on the inside of your wheel, you will know it exists because you will experience moderate-severe vibration through the steering wheel when braking and/or straight line accelerating.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:25 PM
Advanced

Yes, wrzt is correct. No dealership visit - just knock the ice off the alloys (or wash it off with a power spray) and you are good to go.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:46 PM
08 RDX CBP/Taupe/Base

For those of you who live in snow country , do you outfit your RDX with winter tires or do the all season Michelins do the trick.From looking at Tire Rack ratings the Michelin All_Seasons that come with the RDX are not rated that great for winter driving.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by casa7
For those of you who live in snow country , do you outfit your RDX with winter tires or do the all season Michelins do the trick.From looking at Tire Rack ratings the Michelin All_Seasons that come with the RDX are not rated that great for winter driving.

You're right, the stock tires aren't rated very good for snow, but on the RDX they handle fine. I didn't put snows on. I always had on the CRV, but as I said, the RDX beats the CRV even with snows.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Yea, we had a pretty bad winter / snow around here this year. The RDX performed great! The tires could be better for grip, but the X still makes you feel in control. More grippier tires would help, but it does pretty good w/ the OEM's, (Michelins)

PS.We have a very steep driveway also. I didn't have any problems w/ ice build up, like the others!