RDX purchase price in Seattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007 | 08:48 PM
2nd Gear

RDX purchase price in Seattle

I'm thinking of getting the RDX with tech package. I just like to know how much buyers from Seattle paid. Did you get it close to invoice price. I looked at the discount thread but it seems that there's no one in Seattle (except that other dude from the last thread) who have posted the price that they got. Is it possible to get the RDX with tech package in Seattle (only 4 dealers within 50 miles) at invoice or anything close to invoice? If you have done it please let me and others know whom you got yours and what is the name of the salesperson so we can get a good price as well. I emailed 3 already and they are giving me over 5% above invoice price. I think it is quite high.
Old 02-12-2007 | 07:18 AM
Pro

generally speaking, invoice isn't out of the question at this point. it comes down to what color combo you want and if the dealers got it. email around for quotes. you might get a better discount if you are willing to settle for a car thats been on the lot a while (look at VIN numbers)
Old 02-12-2007 | 10:53 AM
2nd Gear

I'm flexible

I checked all 4 dealers inventory and they have around 15 to 20 RDXs on their lots each. As far as color all of them have the Carbon Bronze or Gray I prefer. I got some initial quote and 2 of them are quoting around 35,500 for the tech with the NW protection package. Does anyone know about this protection package because it seems that it's not necessary? I asked one of them and the salesman is claiming I have to wait for the next batch that doesn't have it. Incidentally, I haven't seen a lot of RDXs around so I'm thinking it's not selling well here in Seattle. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-12-2007 | 05:47 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Did you email them and ask them what they want for it? That is their starting point for negotiation. If you told them "I hear I can get it for invoice" then that can be considered your starting point for negotiation.

Try going and talking to the fleet manager or the internet manager and ask for invoice less 3% (the dealer holdback amount) plus a little profit. They will probably come back with invoice. Then negotiate from there as you see fit.

Car dealers (well, not sure about Saturn, but all the others) do not have a "price they charge for it" - each deal is custom and represents how much money they feel they can extract from the customer. For cars that are selling well, they have a "price they aren't interested in going lower than" but they aren't going to come out and say it - and that price will be higher than invoice. For cars like the RDX that are sitting on their lots, there is probably still some kind of price like that, but it is a little less firm and it can be a lot below invoice since they have costs on their end to keep that car on their lot that they would like to avoid if they can.

When you go in, don't do the starry-eyed "This is so cool, I can't wait to get one" thing - they'll know that they own you. Instead adopt a "I think this is the car for me, I'm shopping around, if I don't like your price I'll walk out the door and you won't see me again" thing - not necessarily saying those things, but go in there with that in your mind and your body language and the things you say will all indicate that. Whatever you do, it must become clear to them that you don't have to buy the car, especially from them - they have to earn your money (and meet your price expectations to do so). When I made my deal I was in my car, the engine running, in reverse, halfway backed out of my parking spot, with the sales manager at my window asking what it would take to make a deal with me that day. Do you think he thought he had me on a hook?

The protection packages are a crock. The dealers use that to extract more money from you. They make it sound like it is some sort of legal requirement and must be included in the deal. Umm, right. And I'm sure they would be thrown in jail for selling you a car for below MSRP (or below invoice) too. The accessories on my car disappeared off of the negotiation sheet in the 11th hour of my deal and, hey look, there they are still on my car. I did have to go through a point where they said "What if we found a car without them" and I answered "That would be just great" so fast it made their head spin. At that point they realized that their "whine, whine, we have to put this on and, whine, whine, all the labor we went through and, whine, whine" was having zero effect on me and they should just drop it and get the car into my hands before I walked away (which, as you noticed, I was in the process of doing when they met my price).

Now, maybe they could have gotten me a car without the accessories if it wasn't half an hour past closing when we had that little discussion, but I never found out - it was easier for them to just grab the car on the lot with the accessories and get me on my way than to shuffle around and wake the security guard at the secondary lot (if the secondary lot even existed).
Old 02-12-2007 | 06:34 PM
6th Gear

This "NW Protection Package" is not a uniform package across the local dealers. they vary from dealer to dealer but seem to consist of mud guards, wheel locks, mats, plus or minus some other stuff. It's all meant to extract more money from you. just say no.

I think as long as you can establish enough interest in the car for them to take you seriously but your desire to buy is less than their desire to sell you'll have the initiative in negotiations. just don't fall in love with the car and be ready to walk. the best negotiating tools are to go in informed and have options like buying out of state. also if you want accessories but can't get them thrown in then use curry acura and acura parts people (which is run by acura of bellevue) for price matching. good luck.
Old 02-13-2007 | 12:26 AM
Silver/Ebony/Tech

Originally Posted by rdx_hunter_seattle
I checked all 4 dealers inventory and they have around 15 to 20 RDXs on their lots each. As far as color all of them have the Carbon Bronze or Gray I prefer. I got some initial quote and 2 of them are quoting around 35,500 for the tech with the NW protection package. Does anyone know about this protection package because it seems that it's not necessary? I asked one of them and the salesman is claiming I have to wait for the next batch that doesn't have it. Incidentally, I haven't seen a lot of RDXs around so I'm thinking it's not selling well here in Seattle. Thanks for the help.
35.5 is better than I could shake out of any of the Seattle dealers. I'm going to Spokane next weekend and will see if I can do better.
Old 02-13-2007 | 01:25 AM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Originally Posted by Semiquixotic
35.5 is better than I could shake out of any of the Seattle dealers. I'm going to Spokane next weekend and will see if I can do better.
If there aren't enough dealers in the immediate area then an out of area quote can be used to dislodge them. I'm not suggesting collusion there, just that there may not be enough competition to make them as desperate as they are here. They're basically banking on the fact that you want the car and will give in if they hold their ground and in that area they haven't had to go any lower than they quoted you to have that happen before.

There are a couple of ways to disavow them of this notion. One is having an option to actually get it at the price you want to pay - like an out of area quote. Another is simply having the patience to hold out for the price and honestly telling them that you will buy for your price, but not for theirs. Once they see you holding to that story, it then changes to "how much do they want to keep paying interest to hold the car on their lot instead of having you take one off of their hands".

Here in the SF Bay Area we are lucky - I actually have 3 Acura dealers within a 10 mile radius. I still went to Sacramento to get the car, but I wasn't really intending to play the "out of area" card with that - I just thought that perhaps a non-Silicon Valley environment might have valued my trade-in higher (it didn't, they just fought harder for the deal out there).
Old 02-13-2007 | 02:34 AM
Got Phó?

yah my bro was in the market for a rdx or a is250 and he went with the is250 because they did not budge on the price for the rdx i worked with the same sales person that i got my tsx with joel from acura of seattle. He will be straight foward with you if he can or cant not. they dont beat around the bush but you have to twist arms and legs. Thats how i got my tsx at invoice in 2005. We tired in december too when acura of seattle had 15 rdx on the lot and 10 in the garage. Lynnwood will always shoot high prices and if you work a deal with them then bring it to acura of seattle and tell them thats what lynnwood offer and try and get a lower price its just how hard you want to bargin and how much time you have on your hand to wait. Just leave name and number to them and shoot out your price and wait for a return call. they will call you back in about 1-3 days cuz thats what they did with the tsx for me hope that helps.
Old 02-13-2007 | 03:12 AM
10th Gear

I got mine from Acura of Bellevue. I would recommend going there.

Acura of Seattle (southcenter) is a bunch of retards. They would not sell me the only RDX-tech they had on the lot back in November because I wanted to "negotiate". They also refused to honor the Acura lease special, claiming they don't have to, when in fact they do. In short they would not lower the price and quoted me $800 a month for a lease with $3500 down. ahaha

Acura in Lynnwood adds a "market value adjustment," $1500-$2000 to all the cars, so when you negotiate you're still too close to sticker price.

Acura of Bellevue was more than happy to sell me their only RDX-tech on their lot, offered the lease special from Acura and negotiated the price until I liked it.

When you're done and you got your price, tell them you don't want the protection package. They won't loose a sale and 2 hours of their time for so little $$. Best case scenario they will leave it on for free, worst case scenario they will remove it.
Old 02-13-2007 | 03:14 AM
6th Gear

actually there are 4 acura dealers within an hour drive of seattle, 3 within 10 miles or so. although I've only seen 1 other rdx out in the wild, dealer inventories here seemingly have stabilized or shrunk over the last couple months after peaking in early/mid dec. (i've been checking the inventory on their websites since oct/nov.) i'd be curious to find out where the local pricing equilibrium is now but that doesn't mean you have to be in the high end of the range rather than the low end when buying local. ultimately if you can't find a price to your liking then you'll need to expand your search from local to statewide or nationwide.
Old 02-13-2007 | 05:54 PM
Silver/Ebony/Tech

Originally Posted by frogywill

Acura of Seattle (southcenter) is a bunch of retards. They would not sell me the only RDX-tech they had on the lot back in November because I wanted to "negotiate". They also refused to honor the Acura lease special, claiming they don't have to, when in fact they do. In short they would not lower the price and quoted me $800 a month for a lease with $3500 down. ahaha

Acura in Lynnwood adds a "market value adjustment," $1500-$2000 to all the cars, so when you negotiate you're still too close to sticker price.

Acura of Bellevue was more than happy to sell me their only RDX-tech on their lot, offered the lease special from Acura and negotiated the price until I liked it.

When you're done and you got your price, tell them you don't want the protection package. They won't loose a sale and 2 hours of their time for so little $$. Best case scenario they will leave it on for free, worst case scenario they will remove it.
How much did you pay at Bellevue? Thx!
Old 02-19-2007 | 05:13 PM
6th Gear

I have Acura of ellevue telling me they won't quote Costco or other offer over email. I live near Acura of Lynnwood, (who also won't give me a quote in email). How do I get these guys to give me the information I want?

How much did you end up paying at Bellevue? Thx.
Old 02-19-2007 | 09:45 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GeekMa
I have Acura of ellevue telling me they won't quote Costco or other offer over email. I live near Acura of Lynnwood, (who also won't give me a quote in email). How do I get these guys to give me the information I want?

How much did you end up paying at Bellevue? Thx.

If you have only three dealers to choose from, have an e-mail address for the internet sale manager at each of the three, and all three have identical inventory, you can use that to your advantage, as none know what you know or what the others may have told you.

Send an e-mail to all three, making sure to include all three in your to: line so each knows the other is on the e-mail. Have it read something like this:

Gentlemen,

Thanks for talking to me in response to my request for pricing. I am now prepared to buy an X color RDX tech with Y interior color and Z accessories, today. I am willing to pay no more than $Z for it total, out the door, including destination charge, all taxes, fees, processing charges, and any other fees you add on to a normal sale.

The first one of you to send me an e-mail saying you will meet that price gets my business, unless of course one of you sends me an e-mail telling me you'll do better than $z. If you think can do better than $z, I'd suggest you put it in your first e-mail, as I am not going to shop the low bid around and give you a second chance.

I look forward to hearing from you,

GeekMa

I'd use the prices people have been throwing around this board as a guide. Maybe none of them bite. But if one of them does, you'll get the car at your price, and maybe lower.
Old 02-21-2007 | 03:35 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Semiquixotic
How much did you pay at Bellevue? Thx!
Where did you end up buying your RDX in Seattle? Was it Bellevue? If so, did you get the quote online or make the trip over there?
Old 02-22-2007 | 01:08 AM
Silver/Ebony/Tech

Where did you end up buying your RDX in Seattle? Was it Bellevue? If so, did you get the quote online or make the trip over there?
Ended up at Acura of Seattle. I negotiated over email. I got the price I wanted out of Spokane and turned around and asked Seattle if they wanted to match the offer. They did. The guy I worked with was friendly and eager. I think I may have been able to get a bit more off if I pushed harder or waited for end of the month. Bellevue would only give $1K off of MSRP as their "Costco" deal. Both Bellevue and Lynnwood turned down all my email offers. Hinshaw in Tacoma did the same. Seattle was the only taker. I don't think they are moving very well locally. Wait until the end of the month and I bet you can get a better deal.
Old 02-22-2007 | 01:19 PM
10th Gear

I paid $34500 in Bellevue.

IMHO the costco deal is not worth it. It's good for people who don't want to sit for hours to get the price down. You can usually get the same deal or better without a costco card.
Old 02-22-2007 | 03:29 PM
6th Gear

I paid $34500 in Bellevue.

IMHO the costco deal is not worth it. It's good for people who don't want to sit for hours to get the price down. You can usually get the same deal or better without a costco card.
Great, thanks. Acura of Seattle just told me they would match the price that I got from Portland. Was the $34,500 including destination?
Old 02-22-2007 | 04:15 PM
Intermediate

Great, thanks. Acura of Seattle just told me they would match the price that I got from Portland. Was the $34,500 including destination?
What was the quote you got from Portland and which dealer was it? I live by Portland and was thinking of buying an RDX this year.
Old 02-22-2007 | 09:47 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ghostx
What was the quote you got from Portland and which dealer was it? I live by Portland and was thinking of buying an RDX this year.
It was from the internet manager at Acura of Portland. I'm glad I won't have to go through te hassle of buying out of state. That'll be sweet for you, though, what with no sales tax and all...

Good luck!
Old 02-24-2007 | 11:41 AM
Intermediate

Well, actually, I'm across the border too in Washington! So what was the quote you got for the car and I'm thinking it included their winter package?