RDX Pricing Officially Announced

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 01:26 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Thread is too important to get locked. Next post that discusses taxes/politics gets deleted. And the poster gets a mini vacation. Its that simple.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:35 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Thread is too important to get locked. Next post that discusses taxes/politics gets deleted. And the poster gets a mini vacation. Its that simple.
Thank god he didn't bring up MPG...
Old 07-14-2006, 04:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by 1092
Thank god he didn't bring up MPG...
now you're just being annoying...
Old 07-14-2006, 09:16 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Originally Posted by dom
Thanks dom....I was tired of hearing that crap.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I think these are reasonable prices. They are about what I expect and the base price significantly undercuts the X3, the RDX's direct competitor, by several thousand dollars. I think Acura's pricing is smart. I wish it were a little lower, but hey, them's the breaks. I'll be waiting until the RDX hysteria dies down somewhat to purchase.

RDX with tech package, here I come!
Old 07-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I think these are reasonable prices. They are about what I expect and the base price significantly undercuts the X3, the RDX's direct competitor, by several thousand dollars. I think Acura's pricing is smart.
I totally agree with Neuronbob. I think that the pricing is about right, and these numbers have been floating around for a while now, so they should not be any surprise to anyone.

I think it's interesting that when Acura prices their vehicle lower, then it gets criticized as a "value brand" and not really a luxury brand. Now that it's pricing its vehicle to where it should be, it gets criticized to be overpriced. I would rather have Acura as a luxury brand than a value brand myself...
Old 07-16-2006, 04:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by jaobrien6
Even if you buy it in a state with no sales tax, you can't register it there (well, you *can*, I guess, if you lie to the DMV). If you drive down to Delware and buy it (closest one with no sales tax to you), and register it in NJ... you will still pay NJ sales tax on it.
Several years ago, I bought a new Honda in Spokane, WA and got a transit paper tag- paid no taxes - took it south into Oregon, got a cheap motel at the county seat and registered the Honda at the motel- then asked the motel owner/clerk to forward my mail to me handing her a $20 bill.

A few weeks later, back in Florida, I received my title no problems. After a year, I registered it in Florida and, because of the time passage and because it had been previously registered, they just charged me a one-time $100 first plate fee.

This was quite a while ago, but I think it should still be the same.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:17 PM
CJW
Advanced

I think the price is too high, especially with the "tech" package. The real answer will be determined by the public when they buy or don't buy the RDX at these prices. I do plan to test drive one before I finally decide but right now I think its too steep for what it is. And before you bring it up, I feel the same way about the BMW; not enough car for the money. I'm not into status and have no reason to pay extra for the name.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:18 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CJW
I think the price is too high, especially with the "tech" package. The real answer will be determined by the public when they buy or don't buy the RDX at these prices. I do plan to test drive one before I finally decide but right now I think its too steep for what it is. And before you bring it up, I feel the same way about the BMW; not enough car for the money. I'm not into status and have no reason to pay extra for the name.
What would you pay for the RDX then? For what you get, it's a pretty solid price. You pretty much get everything that comes on the TL plus SH-AWD and more storage room. What kind of car were you expecting at that price point?
Old 07-16-2006, 08:33 PM
Instructor

Reasonable or not, I was expecting the same car with the TL V6.....
Old 07-16-2006, 11:57 PM
CJW
Advanced

I would like a V6 to be standard, for starters. But they can keep the four turbo and Price the base model at 29 and the tech package at 31. This would make it more competitive with the RAV and CX7. I really don't want to spend much than 30 which may be where the RDX is priced in 6 months if they don't sell...
Old 07-17-2006, 05:48 AM
Smitty's Moral Police

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CJW
This would make it more competitive with the RAV and CX7.
Ferrari and Lamborghini really need to lower their prices to compete with the Corvette and Viper.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:45 AM
CJW
Advanced

So Acura is Ferrari and Toyota is Corvette?? I don't think so. If Acura wants to sell the RDX in significant numbers they should lower the price. I predict they will lower the price after initial poor sales. I'm sure its a great car, but few will want to pay that asking price.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:07 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CJW
I would like a V6 to be standard, for starters. But they can keep the four turbo and Price the base model at 29 and the tech package at 31. This would make it more competitive with the RAV and CX7. I really don't want to spend much than 30 which may be where the RDX is priced in 6 months if they don't sell...
I don't understand some of you people. You want Acura to be able to compete with the likes of BMW, Audi, etc., and yet, when picking competition for the car, you insist on comparing it to non-luxury makes.

As for the V6, it would have easily added more weight to the RDX, which due to the ACE body structure, is already penalized by extra weight in the name of safety. The turbo four was the best compromise of size, weight, and power.

And for pricing of the base model, it compares favorably with the TL in terms of equipment and size, so why would they price it closer to the TSX? That makes no sense. The price for the tech package includes things other than the Nav system, which by itself is a $2k option.

So I don't understand your logic for the pricing? Do you feel that the TL is overpriced too?
Old 07-17-2006, 09:13 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CJW
So Acura is Ferrari and Toyota is Corvette?? I don't think so. If Acura wants to sell the RDX in significant numbers they should lower the price. I predict they will lower the price after initial poor sales. I'm sure its a great car, but few will want to pay that asking price.
A lot of people were willing to pony up for the TL so I don't see any reason why people wouldn't want to look at the RDX. I'm sure some people who wanted more room than the TL, but don't want to move up to the MDX will seriously consider the RDX. There are a lot of potential customer groups for the RDX so I don't understand why you're so quick to discount its sales.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:40 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
I don't understand some of you people. You want Acura to be able to compete with the likes of BMW, Audi, etc., and yet, when picking competition for the car, you insist on comparing it to non-luxury makes.

As for the V6, it would have easily added more weight to the RDX, which due to the ACE body structure, is already penalized by extra weight in the name of safety. The turbo four was the best compromise of size, weight, and power.

And for pricing of the base model, it compares favorably with the TL in terms of equipment and size, so why would they price it closer to the TSX? That makes no sense. The price for the tech package includes things other than the Nav system, which by itself is a $2k option.

So I don't understand your logic for the pricing? Do you feel that the TL is overpriced too?
I bought my fully loaded TL in May for $32,500. All available bells and whistles.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Before people start to bitch about the pricing, they should wait and actually drive an RDX. My suspicion is that the sweet handling, long list of luxury features and high-tech gadgets, excellent build quality, outstanding interior, amazing stereo system etc. may change a few people's minds. This is an entry level luxury SUV and it is priced accordingly. If consumers don't want/need all the little bells and whistles and performance, there are plenty of options (including the new CRV) that they can look at.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:46 AM
Booya

Personally, I would have been more comfortable, If the price also included useful luxury feature's like driver-side memory seat, power passenger seat and rain-sensing wiper's. Also, I would have been much more happier to see the above over a minimally useful lux feature like 'solar-sensing GPS based automatic climate control'. Just my 2 cents, otherwise my paper impression of the RDX is really good. Next thing is to actually drive it and see if it really live's up to the hype.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
My 2004 TL has solar sensing climate control so I don't know why the RDX wouldn't have since it's navi is a newer generation than mine.

Does anyone know if the RDX is made in Japan or US?
Old 07-17-2006, 11:30 AM
theKrAzZiE1

I agree with hondamore.The RDX seems to be the lowest priced LUXURY suv on the market as it is. It's competing with the BMW X3 Which starts at 36,000. Yes, there are incentives right now, only because there's a new model coming out next year. Look at the Lexus RX it's priced in the 40's. LUXURY comes with a price. If there's a problem with it, you shouldn't be buying Luxury vehicles you should be buying a Honda or Toyota. Even then, if you make a Rav4 or a CRV fully equipped it's still around 27k.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 1092
I bought my fully loaded TL in May for $32,500. All available bells and whistles.
First off, you're comparing a negotiated deal(TL) versus MSRP(RDX). Regardless, was the TL overpriced at that price??
Also, hopefully you'll agree you get more from the RDX in terms of utility, AWD and as far as the specs go more torque without torque steer. Those additional features mean a higher starting price. You want more = you pay more!!
Old 07-17-2006, 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
to every word you said. I couldn't have said it any better.

It's an Acura, not a Mazda, Toyota, Ford, Subaru, or even a Honda CRV. This is for people who want a luxurious, yet sporty, ride in their crossover, at a value price compared to the BMW X3. The X3 is the target. Not the Mazda crossover. It's worth the money (or I hope it will be after I test drive it, or I'll be eatin' some crow ). I was happy to pony up for my TL and it's the smartest money I ever spent on a car, I'm hoping to say the same about the RDX even with a turbocharged 4-banger.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Xpditor
My 2004 TL has solar sensing climate control so I don't know why the RDX wouldn't have since it's navi is a newer generation than mine.

Does anyone know if the RDX is made in Japan or US?
XP, the RDX is proudly made right here in Ohio, about two hours' drive from my house.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:48 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by dom
@ anyone who pays that much for an RDX.

I'd expect CAD pricing to start at $42,995 and $47,995 for tech pack.

that sounds right. A TL is 33k in the US and is 42k in Canada.
If they were going by the current exchange rate, we could be paying 37k in Canada. That's not going to happen however
Old 07-17-2006, 04:00 PM
CJW
Advanced

Jeez, are you guys all on the Acura payroll? Sorry, I don't see Acura the same way as others. To me an Acura is just an upscale version of a Honda. I would not put this brand in the same league as Audi, BMW, etc. I do own an '06 TSX, very happy with it, paid 28k with navigation. However, I see the RDX as a 4 cyl. wagon from Honda. Not so different from Mazda, Subaru or Toyota.

Listen, I sat in the RDX at the NY auto show, liked it, but didn't feel it was worth 37k. No way! I may feel differently when I test drive it...
Old 07-17-2006, 04:19 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, my point and the point a lot of people have is that YES, Acura is an upscale Honda. The key word being upscale. Honda is the direct competitor to Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, VW, etc... Acura's direct competition is a little more hazy, but it's safe to say that it isn't Honda and therefore is also not any of Honda's direct competition. My :twocents: is that the Accord is a little nicer than the Mazda6 (the only direct comparison I can make as I've not been in a CX-7 or RDX). But they are comparable. The Mazda6 and TL are not comparable in this manner.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CJW
Jeez, are you guys all on the Acura payroll? Sorry, I don't see Acura the same way as others. To me an Acura is just an upscale version of a Honda. I would not put this brand in the same league as Audi, BMW, etc. I do own an '06 TSX, very happy with it, paid 28k with navigation. However, I see the RDX as a 4 cyl. wagon from Honda. Not so different from Mazda, Subaru or Toyota.

Listen, I sat in the RDX at the NY auto show, liked it, but didn't feel it was worth 37k. No way! I may feel differently when I test drive it...
Good for you. But until then, you really have nothing to go on but a few minutes in the seat of a preproduction prototype, which you didn't even drive.

Seriously, you need to stop acting like your narrow opinion is the only one that is correct. People here have presented arguments that you should really take a moment to consider. Look at the various vehicles in the market and really consider their target market while comparing it against what is proposed for the RDX. Consider the various equipment packages, the fit and finishes, the warranties, the customer support, and the various performance measurements of each.

Honestly, I read some of this stuff and it becomes incredibly apparent that some of you have focused in so much on a single factor of the RDX that you're failing to see the larger picture, which includes all of the different factors people will consider when they start thinking about buying a car.

So everyone, take a deep breath, a step back, and start thinking about what other people are saying before you continue blabbering on.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 98AccordEx
First off, you're comparing a negotiated deal(TL) versus MSRP(RDX). Regardless, was the TL overpriced at that price??
Also, hopefully you'll agree you get more from the RDX in terms of utility, AWD and as far as the specs go more torque without torque steer. Those additional features mean a higher starting price. You want more = you pay more!!
Just stating fact. Drive out price.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CJW
Jeez, are you guys all on the Acura payroll?
I WISH they'd pay me.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:39 PM
CJW
Advanced

"Seriously, you need to stop acting like your narrow opinion is the only one that is correct."

Really? And you're saying this just because I disagree with you? I have done my research and am offering an informed opinion. For example, I have test driven the Mazda CX-7, Nissan Murano, Hyundai Tucson, Toyota RAV (V6) and BMW X3. The Tucson and RAV both offer a V6 that takes regular gas. BMW offers 4 years or 50,000 miles scheduled free maintenance. I could go on but I think the point is made.

I plan to buy a SUV this year and am still considering the RDX. However, I do have some issues with the price and the engine size. Open your mind to dissenting opinions. This is supposed to be a forum and last time I looked we were living in a democracy.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:43 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I also don't understand why people always insist on comparing Acura to Mazda or Nissan. They are marketed toward different segments. Whoever said that Acura doesn't compare to Audi or BMW needs to wake up. Acura has been moving upscale for the past few years with the TSX, TL, and MDX. How can you possibly compare those cars to Mazda3/Mazda6/CX-7 or Altima/Maxima/Murano. Go test drive and compare those cars before making blank statements. As for the price, this is a LUXURY brand so expect to pay LUXURY price. Don't bother looking at brand names if you can't/won't pay the premium. I heard Hyundai/Kai/Daewoo are great cars for the money. And the Chinese automakers are joining the US markets too. Sorry if I sound offensive, but I think Acura is doing a great job with its current lineup. If only people take the time and effort to do their research...
Old 07-18-2006, 07:50 AM
CJW
Advanced

I also think Acura has done a very good job. I drove a lot of cars before deciding that the 2006 Acura TSX with navigation was the right choice. We're very happy with this car which we've owned since January. However, I would prefer rear wheel dirve, a V6 engine and being able to use regular gas (the TSX 4 cyl. requires premium). Still, for the money I feel we got a very good car.

I'm not so sure about the RDX. If you get the luxury versions of the Nissan Murano or Mazda CX-7 I think you'll find they are very competitive with the Acura RDX. That's all I'm getting at. The market will determine if Acura made the right decision in pricing this SUV.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:14 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CJW
"Seriously, you need to stop acting like your narrow opinion is the only one that is correct."

Really? And you're saying this just because I disagree with you? I have done my research and am offering an informed opinion. For example, I have test driven the Mazda CX-7, Nissan Murano, Hyundai Tucson, Toyota RAV (V6) and BMW X3. The Tucson and RAV both offer a V6 that takes regular gas. BMW offers 4 years or 50,000 miles scheduled free maintenance. I could go on but I think the point is made.

I plan to buy a SUV this year and am still considering the RDX. However, I do have some issues with the price and the engine size. Open your mind to dissenting opinions. This is supposed to be a forum and last time I looked we were living in a democracy.
Boy, you're really getting dense in your old age, aren't you? I have nothing against your dissenting opinion. However, you seem dead set on saying that the RDX isn't up to some arbitrary standard even though you haven't even driven the damn car and you're basing your opinion on a few minutes in a prototype. On top of that, you keep trying to tell people that they are wrong for pointing out that Acura will be targeting a different segment of the market than a Murano or RAV4.

Sounds to me like you're the one who needs to be more open-minded...
Old 07-18-2006, 10:44 AM
CJW
Advanced

First of all you owe me an apology for getting personal. You have called me dense and old, and all because I disagree with you. Are you really a moderator?

My standards aren't arbitrary and I haven't said anyone was wrong for saying Acura should go after the luxury car market. Right now I think the RDX is priced too high and that they should be offerring a V6 engine. I also think Acura is a very good brand but not quite up to BMW or Audi. My opinion.

Didn't keep me from buying a new TSX. And I'm still considering the RDX though I'd like to hear what other people have to say about my concerns. I suggest you apologize and then try to lighten up.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:06 PM
Senior Moderator

OK, time for the mega-mod to step in and remind everyone of the intent of the thread. Please keep on topic and take the personal arguments to PM.

That is all.

EDIT: Any more off-topic posts in this thread will be deleted. As I say above, ALL PERSONAL STUFF SHOULD GO TO PM. STAY ON TOPIC.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:36 PM
CJW
Advanced

Certainly, let's get back to talking about the RDX, but first... moderator CGTSX2004 has to apologize for the abusive language.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:34 AM
theKrAzZiE1

Talking

wee, lol, couldn't help it
Old 07-20-2006, 02:14 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Xpditor
I don't know if it's the same system, but even the Honda Accord has a solar sensing climate control system. So aside from the Accord having it, I can't imagine the RDX not having it considering that the TL, whose base MSRP is pretty much the same as the RDX's, has it.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:19 AM
Team Owner

I'll have to look at the RDX dash in detail again, but at the base of the windshield, in the center, if there is a single sensor pod, then yes, the solar-sensing climate control system is there. Even the TSX has this feature in both navi and non-navi models. The navi version is slightly more sophisticated in that it also incorporates data from the GPS unit, but I doubt that contributes a whole lot the difference.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:00 PM
4th Gear

Sales tax

Originally Posted by dipkat
Does anyone know in which states (in U.S.) I can buy the RDX and avoid Sales Tax? Here in NJ, the sales tax is 7%. This would add an additional $2555 to the overall price for the RDX with the tech. package.

RDX with tech. package = $36,495 + $615 + $2555 = $39665 (WOW !)

The RDX would be an attractive deal if somehow I could avoid paying that Sales
Tax.
Sales tax is normally based on where you reside, not where you buy the vehicle. It is illegal (for most people) to pretend you live in a state without sales tax, buy a vehicle there and actually not pay sales tax when you take the vehicle to the state you really live in.

These vehicles are easy to spot (their license plate is from the no sales tax state) but law enforcement is up to someone actually reporting it to their dmv. Most states require registration in that state within a certain time period, but this is also rarely enforced.

There is quite a bit of tax revenue that isn't being properly collected all over the country!

Quick Reply: RDX Pricing Officially Announced