RDX Owners - What don't you like

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 11:47 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my RDX and have absolutely no buyer's remorse at all! I was so worried that the next day, I would. When I pass all the cars/suvs I was contemplating along with the RDX, I'm still perfectly content.
As for complaints...or a wishlist, it's pretty much the same things everyone's mentioned.
It would be nice to be able to open the tailgate via the key fob or a release inside.
I wish the roof rack was standard.
Um, did I mention that I love my RDX?
Old 11-20-2006, 11:50 PM
rdxsteverino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sasair
What do you put in the storage compartment by the door handle? That's my sunglasses storage.

I set mine to unlock all doors when I set the vehicle in park, so the tailgate is always unlocked when I get out. I like how the tailgate has just a button and it opens very easily. I suppose it would be a pretty easy mod to add a button for the tailgate release around the driver somewhere.

I hate the key fob. It just isn't a good design. Since Acura is obviously going that way with all the new vehicles, I hope they at least come up with an optional remote that is smaller and a separate master key. the remote part of the switchblade key is actually pretty small when disassembled.
The small door handle storage compartment is where I'm storing my sunglasses as well, but I preferred the swivel compartment in my 2000 Accord where the Homelink panel is located in the RDX. Guess I'll take the Homelink controls over the swivel compartment. As I said, minor issue.

Thanks for the unlock suggestion for the tailgate - I'll try that.

Still getting used to the key fob. Feel like I'm on the West Side Story (or MJ's Beat It video) set every time I access my key.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rdxsteverino
Feel like I'm on the West Side Story (or MJ's Beat It video) set every time I access my key.
Dang, you're dating yourself there, at least you didn't mention Grease or The Outsiders....
Old 11-21-2006, 08:59 AM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Memory Seats
Power Pass Seat
Trunk Release on Keyfob
Day/Night Mirror Std. (at least with tech)
Old 11-21-2006, 09:21 AM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

When I looked at the early marketing materials for the RDX, before it was out, they specifically mentioned that the "slot" under the CD changer (between the heated seat button and +12V socket) was sized for sunglasses (ie, long and skinny). Is anyone using it for that purpose? It really is not sized to hold much else than long skinny items.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:25 AM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Put my Razr V3m there
Old 11-21-2006, 10:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

sliding sunglasses in and out of there you'd just be asking for scratches on your lenses. I sometimes put my phone in there or my wallet, but usually it is empty...
Old 11-21-2006, 10:40 AM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Yea I use a visor clip for sunglasses, just move it around bout every couple times i get into the car so i dont get a permanent indent.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by c_hunter
I wish the vehicle was about 6" longer for more usable cargo space without having to go up to the enormous MDX.
I wouldn't have bought the car if it was 6" longer! I wanted COMPACT SUV...not a mid-size...Everyone seems to be turning the small SUVs into mid-size cars...There's plenty of mid-size and large SUVs available not, but the compacts are disappearing.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:26 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Originally Posted by amypinseattle
I wouldn't have bought the car if it was 6" longer! I wanted COMPACT SUV...not a mid-size...Everyone seems to be turning the small SUVs into mid-size cars...There's plenty of mid-size and large SUVs available not, but the compacts are disappearing.

I don't think it would have made much of a difference, and the RDX is already not a compact.

My current car is 8" longer than the RDX. But it's also 4" narrower and 400 lbs lighter than the RDX. If anything, the RDX feels and drives bigger to me. I'd rather have the extra cargo space.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by c_hunter
My current car is 8" longer than the RDX. But it's also 4" narrower and 400 lbs lighter than the RDX. If anything, the RDX feels and drives bigger to me. I'd rather have the extra cargo space.
I agree the cargo space in the car is a little tight, in reality the footprint of the RDX length wise is as big as a sub-compact car. You are limited on the number of passengers you can take on a trip unless you get a roof rack for luggage storage.

The reality though is that this car is marketed for young families or empty nesters, the MDX is the upsell vechicle for familes with more space, a quieter ride and rear dvd player.

I have already seen 5 or so of the '07 MDX in the last 2 days. (Almost as many of the RDX's as I have seen in the last 2 months). Where I live the MDX is one of the more popular cars on the road so it is expected to be very common.

JD
Old 11-21-2006, 04:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by newteez
I agree the cargo space in the car is a little tight, in reality the footprint of the RDX length wise is as big as a sub-compact car. You are limited on the number of passengers you can take on a trip unless you get a roof rack for luggage storage.

The reality though is that this car is marketed for young families or empty nesters, the MDX is the upsell vechicle for familes with more space, a quieter ride and rear dvd player.

I have already seen 5 or so of the '07 MDX in the last 2 days. (Almost as many of the RDX's as I have seen in the last 2 months). Where I live the MDX is one of the more popular cars on the road so it is expected to be very common.

JD
being a family with no kids as of yet, have to say the RDX was the perfect car for us as far as storage goes. Feels like a ton of space for us both in the back seat and in the trunk, and doesn't feel like a bus to drive.

We figure in 4 or 5 years when we got 2 kids with another on the way, we pick up either the MDX or one of the Lexus SUVs. Plan right now is to keep the RDX or get another like it though as a second car. Perfect in that role.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:56 PM
1st Gear

We LOVE our RDX, tomorrow will be our one week anniversary.

What we do not love, however, is the non-tech information screen. It doesn't display enough. It won't display 'normal' CD information other than track number, it doesn't display regular radio song information, and even the XM doesn't scroll - it shows a few letters of either the title or the artist and then cuts it off. Has anyone else noticed this, or are we missing something?
Old 11-21-2006, 10:09 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LoveMyRDX
We LOVE our RDX, tomorrow will be our one week anniversary.

What we do not love, however, is the non-tech information screen. It doesn't display enough. It won't display 'normal' CD information other than track number, it doesn't display regular radio song information, and even the XM doesn't scroll - it shows a few letters of either the title or the artist and then cuts it off. Has anyone else noticed this, or are we missing something?
Try hitting the "disp/mode" key. The XM should toggle through the NAME, TiTLE, CHANNEL NAME, CATAGORY. Not sure on CD's yet. Haven't played with that much.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:39 AM
Advanced

Added to the list of items that RDX should have designed in is a simple one. The visors do not extend so as to cover the side window far enough back. Most all cars have the visors ability to slide longer to cover the side windows full length. This is a simple no cost item that was overlooked in the design. Otherwise I find my RDX to be a fine vehicle.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:37 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
I have 5000 miles on mine now, and of everything that everyone has said so far, the thing I would USE the most and wish was there was a hatch release from the remote, with a "power" up/down motor, like in many other (less expensive) SUVs and station wagons.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

The 07 MDX is having problems with their motorized hatch. Seems that if you leave the hatch open, there is a huge power draw on the electrical system. Something like 3amps. Bad news for tailgaters!
Old 11-23-2006, 01:17 AM
10th Gear

Like everyone else on this forum the lack of memory seats and power passenger seat, but more important to me would be 1)lack of 6-spd manual (BMW offers this on the X3) and 2)the paddle shifters. "Sport" mode on the auto tranny is an ok and even acceptable compromise but the paddle shifters are purely for show and the "cool" factor. Shifting during cornering is nearly impossible.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:08 AM
rdxsteverino

Originally Posted by buckeyesi
Like everyone else on this forum the lack of memory seats and power passenger seat, but more important to me would be 1)lack of 6-spd manual (BMW offers this on the X3) and 2)the paddle shifters. "Sport" mode on the auto tranny is an ok and even acceptable compromise but the paddle shifters are purely for show and the "cool" factor. Shifting during cornering is nearly impossible.
I agree, paddle shifting just isn't practicle while cornering. Best use I've found is up/down shipfting in bumper to bumper traffic - cuts down on braking.

Happy Turkey Day to all of you RDXers out there!
Old 11-23-2006, 11:28 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by buckeyesi
Shifting during cornering is nearly impossible.
Not supposed to be shifting in the corners anyways; should be setting the proper gear before the corner then shifting while exiting as the corner starts to straighten out. :wink:

Originally Posted by rdxsteverino
Happy Turkey Day to all of you RDXers out there!
Oh yeah, Happy Thanksgiving to all our Southern neighbours!
Old 11-25-2006, 06:34 PM
5th Gear

• Gas mileage
  • Center console is too hard to access for people seated in the passenger seat
  • Acura software for ipod integration should mirror the ipod navigation interface for ease of use.
  • XM sounds like poo compared to CD's, MP3's, or regular radio. Not Acura's fault, but XM has so much potential...if only it sounded decent.
  • Would like a better/more accessible/more visible place to keep my pocket change....the little spring-loaded thingies in the roof of the center storage bin are difficult to use, and the storage cavities in the door are a pain to get coins out of if you put them in there.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:58 AM
Cruisin'

minor issue

Does anyone know if the Navi system can display altitude or Longitude and Lattiude. A friends X3 had this and I am somewhat disappointed that it does not have this. I know it is not needed but neither is any of the other features in the tech package, its just all pretty cool
Old 12-12-2006, 11:22 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Moonman
Does anyone know if the Navi system can display altitude or Longitude and Lattiude. A friends X3 had this and I am somewhat disappointed that it does not have this. I know it is not needed but neither is any of the other features in the tech package, its just all pretty cool
Haven't looked yet but I wouldn't be suprised if it did not. Most in-car navs hide the inner workings of GPS technology in the name of simplicity. I have seen cars that have an emergency page in the gps that gives you the location of the nearest police/fire dept and shows your lat/lon so that you can give it to the 911 operator. Will have to see if that exists in the RDX nav.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yes it can display lat/long coordinates, but you have put it in diagnostic mode to see it. If I remember correctly you need to hold down the MAP/GUIDE, MENU, and CANCEL buttons for 5 secs to put you in diag mode. This will bring up a menu of various things. The lat/long is in there somewhere I think. Be careful though, there are some things you can mess up in there!
Old 12-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by sasair
Yes it can display lat/long coordinates, but you have put it in diagnostic mode to see it. If I remember correctly you need to hold down the MAP/GUIDE, MENU, and CANCEL buttons for 5 secs to put you in diag mode. This will bring up a menu of various things. The lat/long is in there somewhere I think. Be careful though, there are some things you can mess up in there!
I went an checked it out, in diagnostic mode, you can go to GPS info and it will tell you the number of satelites it is communicating with, their relative loacation to you (direction NSEW) and also the Lon and Lat and elevation (101 feet for me)

Unfortunately I doubt I will leave this screen on while driving or go to it, I was hoping to have elevation just display on the map, which I was unable to configure.

thanks!
Old 12-12-2006, 01:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah there's all kinds of junk in there, including a solar angle screen which will show you where the sun is in relation to your vehicle, in case you can't see that big ball of fire in the sky....
Old 12-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Intermediate

You can also say from the map screen "Display Current Location" or something like that and it will show you your info. The manual says its only accurate to within 100' for elevation.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

You can also push the jog wheel in and select "change display icon" and push the jog wheel left to show your current position. Same as saying the "display current location" command.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:58 PM
6th Gear

I have had my RDX for 1 month. I love it. But here is my list of things that I do not like:

1. The light in the cargo area is terrible. I have to use my mini flashlight on my key chain to see.
2. The middle cargo area between the front seats could use some redesign. There is a lot of wasted space. When you have the divider down and want to access something in the bottom area it is a pain to get to.
3. I keep a bottle of water in my driver door pocket. It does not open out like my TL - I have to be a contortionist to actually get the water out while I am driving.
4. The lights on the visor mirror are not very bright.
5. I thought I might miss not having an auto-dim feature for the rear view mirror. However, I have not noticed it at all since the back window has the privacy glass - there is absolutely no problem.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:11 AM
4th Gear

I am so glad I read this thread! I have been considering an RDX and now I have serious reservations. I have an '04 TL and figured the RDX would have at least the same options as my car. (We are not going to trade in the TL, we are getting rid of the minivan.) But for the price, I figured it would be comparable to my TL. I am disappointed that it does not have memory seats, a power passenger seat, and a remote or interior trunk release. And I think I remember someone saying the navi screen is not a touch screen? You have to use the toggle button? How strange! Thanks again for the thread, I am not as sold on this vehicle as I thought I was.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:34 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by cberrytech
I am so glad I read this thread! I have been considering an RDX and now I have serious reservations. I have an '04 TL and figured the RDX would have at least the same options as my car. (We are not going to trade in the TL, we are getting rid of the minivan.) But for the price, I figured it would be comparable to my TL. I am disappointed that it does not have memory seats, a power passenger seat, and a remote or interior trunk release. And I think I remember someone saying the navi screen is not a touch screen? You have to use the toggle button? How strange! Thanks again for the thread, I am not as sold on this vehicle as I thought I was.
I also had a 2004 TL - I did a lot of research online and also had some doubts about the RDX....until I drove it. I loved the handling of this vehicle so much and the comfortable seats are so much better than the 04 TL. I decided right after the test drive that it was going to be my next vehicle. I really have had no regrets but it is not perfect. Maybe if you wait until next year they will add some of the things like passenger memory seats.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:07 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by katgriff
I also had a 2004 TL - I did a lot of research online and also had some doubts about the RDX....until I drove it. I loved the handling of this vehicle so much and the comfortable seats are so much better than the 04 TL. I decided right after the test drive that it was going to be my next vehicle. I really have had no regrets but it is not perfect. Maybe if you wait until next year they will add some of the things like passenger memory seats.

Well that makes me feel much better. I have not driven one yet, maybe it will work its magic on me too. We are in no hurry to trade so perhaps I will wait. My '04 TL was my first Acura and now I am addicted. It will definitely be my first choice moving forward.