RDX Owners/Enthusiasts: Your Top 5 Wish List

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX Owners/Enthusiasts: Your Top 5 Wish List

I'm just curious to hear what features/upgrades you'd all like to see incorporated on the RDX for '09 (or as part of the MMC).

Here are mine FWIW:

-Incorporation of A-VTEC
-DSG type transmission or quick shifting 6/7-Speed Auto
-Keyless access/start from the RL
-Adjustable suspension from the MDX
-More interior/exterior color combinations
Old 02-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Racer

1. lower weight
2. better gas mileage (follows from 1)
3. PZEV pollution rating
4. a real iPod interface (shows songs and playlists on console screen)
5. lower price

I'm already perfectly happy with the handling and drivetrain.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

Better wiper controls. Rain s.ensing or at least illuminate the stalk so you can see what you are doing at night.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:46 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jwaters943
I'm just curious to hear what features/upgrades you'd all like to see incorporated on the RDX for '09 (or as part of the MMC).

Here are mine FWIW:

-Incorporation of A-VTEC
-DSG type transmission or quick shifting 6/7-Speed Auto
-Keyless access/start from the RL
-Adjustable suspension from the MDX
-More interior/exterior color combinations

this would easily make the price like an X3. as well as put the RDX in MDX $$ territory which would create problems, ie either the RDX would be "overpriced" in the Acura line up

dont get me wrong, id love to see them too...but those are pretty decent model changes vs just some option changes.

i think what would be good for the RDX/Acura, is to take a look at the Murano LE features list. there is ALOT of stuff, meaningfull stuff, that the Nissan has, that the Acura should have. Reclining rear seats, power lift gate, auto lights!, rear heat/ac vents, some rear power outlets, lighting in the cargo area etc. These types of things would not alter the design of the vehicle and would be welcome additions to whats missing in the RDX, or more specifically ACURA in general. good solid options and creature comforts to really make the RDX feel like an Acura.

imo, id like to see that. even tho i own my RDX and intend on keeping it for a while, ive skipped around the last few years but i found something i like.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:53 AM
Instructor

not in any particular order:

1) Auto folding side mirrors
2) Rear A/C vents
3) Better wiper controls. Auto sensing and even like the Lexus a slow mode when stopped.
4) Auto on/off headlights
5) A real iPod interface like the Infiniti has

and one more for good measure

6) Make the fan not turn on every 2 seconds when at a stop light..and along with that not making the lights blink.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Instructor

#1...Less "clutter" in the dash center console. Even without the nav system it "looks" too cluttered. My suggestion would be to eliminate the nav package entirely and convert the radio and climate controls to touch screen. Portable touch screen nav systems are now the way to "go..."

#2..Replace the twin turboes with a positive displacement engine belt driven SuperCharger and automatically switch the engine modes between Atkinson and the Miller Cycle. Use intake valve timing for Atkinson cycle implementation, a Prius type CVT to vary the engine drive ratio of the SC, and eliminate the throttle valve.

At idle or cruise the SC does nothing but supply atmospheric pressure and thus the engine operates as a simple but highly efficient Atkinson cycle engine. The SC only comes "online", supplying full boost virtually instantly, with the accelerator pedal QUICKLY depressed or depressed beyond 2/3's.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:12 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
the RDX has a single turbo unit.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Realistically, I think the best we could hope for is:

- keyless entry/start
- Ipod interface
- power tilt/telescope steering
- auto on/off headlights
- rain sensing wipers
- the V6 from the TL

Obviously wishing for 350hp and a 7 speed F1 transmissions is not likely.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Code Monkey

Just 5? I love my new RDX, and these are not complaints (really!), but these are some items that would cost acura almost nothing, if not nothing, to add. These aren't my top 5, just 5 that would do nothing to the price:

1) FM station/song data (there's no reason to not decode and display this these days)
2) Auto headlights (the sensors are already there, and the BCU already reads them and controls the headlights [off-delay], so why not combine them?)
3) XM info display (upper screen) scroll between artist and song title, instead of just one or the other
4) More XM presents (just 12?! That's enough for me. What about my wife?). Related: why not change radio presets w/ seat memory (other Acura models do this, yes?)
5) Instead of naming MP3/WMA discs by the first song on the disc, display the name tag given when the disc was burned?

And, for good measure:
6) Display ID3 information on the upper screen, like XM.

These all represent nothing but development costs, and those costs would be very minimal. No new component would be required, and no technical limitations prevent them. Given 3 days and access to the code for the relevant modules, I could knock out all of these. (I do this stuff for a living).

Some of more obvious requests, like auto-headlights and more things tied to seat memory, may show up in later model years, I'd guess. Much like how seat memory and auto-dimming rear view mirrors showed up in '08.

Again, I love the thing, and have far more good than bad to shout from the mountaintops.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Instructor

Top of the list would be a decent nav system. Many posts, and many friends, agree.

I have a $300 2-year old TomTom that let's me update POIs at will, provides free software updates whenever I back up the memory card. More importantly, when I ask it to find the nearest Starbuck's, it finds the one that is a mile away, not one tha's across town, or 1400 miles away.

Now I never use the RDX nav system.

I complained to Acura corporate, and never got a response. The dealer told me about the $185 disk upgrade, but advised me that it really wouldn't help.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
-I want more power. 265hp would by nice.
-500lb less weight
-somehow do #1 with higher mpg
-power mirrors and lift gate. I would love the latter.
-selectable SH-AWD power distribution or driving modes
-my wife wants deeper cup holders in the rear
Old 02-27-2008, 08:11 PM
Code Monkey

Originally Posted by batman
my wife wants deeper cup holders in the rear
I'll stay away from the joke there.

I, too, think selectable AWD would be nice. Perhaps disengaging front or rear would net a couple more MPG average? This is another one that requires nothing but software.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mangus
I'll stay away from the joke there.

I, too, think selectable AWD would be nice. Perhaps disengaging front or rear would net a couple more MPG average? This is another one that requires nothing but software.
AND HOW...
Old 02-27-2008, 09:05 PM
... the CaSH ...

Originally Posted by john50
Top of the list would be a decent nav system. Many posts, and many friends, agree.

I have a $300 2-year old TomTom that let's me update POIs at will, provides free software updates whenever I back up the memory card. More importantly, when I ask it to find the nearest Starbuck's, it finds the one that is a mile away, not one tha's across town, or 1400 miles away.

Now I never use the RDX nav system.

I complained to Acura corporate, and never got a response. The dealer told me about the $185 disk upgrade, but advised me that it really wouldn't help.
when i was looking at the "tech" version of the RDX, i just couldn't get past the stock nav. in my eyes, it was HORRIBLE !!! Don't feel the extra $$$ was worth it and went with the base. Happy I did
Old 02-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by CaSHMeRe
when i was looking at the "tech" version of the RDX, i just couldn't get past the stock nav. in my eyes, it was HORRIBLE !!! Don't feel the extra $$$ was worth it and went with the base. Happy I did
CNET's review of the RDX nav system:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10846_7-6675891-1.html
Old 02-28-2008, 10:02 AM
Cruisin'

1) auto dimming side mirrors
2) rain sensing wipers
3) keyless entry/start
Old 02-28-2008, 11:08 AM
... the CaSH ...

Originally Posted by johnny99
CNET's review of the RDX nav system:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10846_7-6675891-1.html
truly exciting !!!!!

most of cnet's reviews, i never agree with.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Pro

It's not just cnet.com, most automotive journalists, etc. agree that Honda/Acura has the best OEM NAV system overall. Most other systems lock out functions while the vehicle is in motion. I do think it's time they improved graphics & screen clarity, but it's far from a POS. Having used NAV systems in Honda/Acura, Mitsubishi, Toyota/Lexus & Nissan/Infiniti, it's my 2nd favorite. The Infiniti might suffer from decreased funtionality due to the stupid lockout once the vehicle is in motion, but the graphics & display are so crisp and I love the birdseye view.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:56 AM
... the CaSH ...

It's not just cnet.com, most automotive journalists, etc. agree that Honda/Acura has the best OEM NAV system overall. Most other systems lock out functions while the vehicle is in motion. I do think it's time they improved graphics & screen clarity, but it's far from a POS. Having used NAV systems in Honda/Acura, Mitsubishi, Toyota/Lexus & Nissan/Infiniti, it's my 2nd favorite. The Infiniti might suffer from decreased funtionality due to the stupid lockout once the vehicle is in motion, but the graphics & display are so crisp and I love the birdseye view.
Not all Honda/Acura have the same OEM unit. The TL Nav unit is pretty good and if that unit was in the RDX, I probably would have gone for it.

Never said the Nav unit in the RDX was a POS, just didn't like it personally.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I gave mine
Old 02-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Pro

The TL & RDX have the same NAV unit to the best of my knowledge.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice thread btw.

1. I-pod integration on the screen.

2. 6 speed manual transmission.

3. Bigger and stronger brakes, something like the TL Type-S brakes.

4. How about a full leather wrap around the steering wheel, lol.

5. Maybe a little bump in HP.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:11 PM
... the CaSH ...

The TL & RDX have the same NAV unit to the best of my knowledge.
possibly the same size and software, but if i'm not mistaken, the TL has a touchscreen nav unit and the rdx does not.

plus, the layout of the tl is MUCH nicer. its spread out on both sides of the screen. on the rdx, you have everything clustered together in the middle with a big knob sticking out.

TL
Old 02-28-2008, 06:46 PM
Advanced

1. Ipod integration
2. Auto headlights
3. Power folding side mirrors
4. Selectable SH-AWD
5. A harem of gorgeous women that appear whenever your want and are willing to do whatever you want....that's not asking too much, is it?
Old 02-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Pro

Woah, where did that TL NAV pic come from? I've never seen a screen like that on any Acura NAV system. Yes, the TL does have a touch screen unlike the RDX, I forgot about that.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Instructor

My 2008 RDX Tech is missing:

1. Power folding side view mirrors
2. Power rear hatch
3. Remote Start
4. Daytime Running Lights toggle
5. Auto headlights

I have all five in my Saturn Outlook plus every other tech gadget that's in my RDX.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ThePlainsman
My 2008 RDX Tech is missing:

1. Power folding side view mirrors
2. Power rear hatch
3. Remote Start
4. Daytime Running Lights toggle
5. Auto headlights

I have all five in my Saturn Outlook plus every other tech gadget that's in my RDX.

again w/ the daytime running lights--
Old 02-28-2008, 09:30 PM
07 RDX White w/tech

MY Dream rdx needs only one thing

A FUEL EFFICIENT gas, hybrid or diesel engine!
Old 02-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Code Monkey

Woah, where did that TL NAV pic come from? I've never seen a screen like that on any Acura NAV system. Yes, the TL does have a touch screen unlike the RDX, I forgot about that.
That's got to be a video-in/Auto-PC screenshot.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:24 AM
... the CaSH ...

Originally Posted by Mangus
That's got to be a video-in/Auto-PC screenshot.
yup
Old 02-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Advanced

This is my 2 cents regarding 'missing' accessories on the RDX:

Maybe I'm wrong, but don't most manufacturers (incl. Acura) save a few accessories for future years?

I believe this is a selling point for the manufacturer. If the 09 has everything the 08 had, what would be the motivation for buyers (some, not all) to purchase the new model when you can get the exact same car used or last years model off the lot for a bit cheaper? So, rather than being an oversight, Acura will slowly add accessories over time. Next year will be power passenger, year after will have remote start, year after that will have folding mirrors, and so on. If you want to wait till 2011 for the perfect RDX, have fun waiting.

Also, when they redesign the car (like the 07 MDX, for example) it is frequently pared down a bit so they can again add accessories as the years go on. Why on earth would anyone buy an 06 MDX if you knew the 07 would be completely redesigned.....only because you knew the 06 would have more options than the 07. (I don't know this for a fact about the MDX....just using it as an example). As I noted above, if you want to wait till 2011 for all the accessories.....I'm going to wait until 2012 when it gets a complete makeover.

It's unfortunate for those of us that buy a car in the early years of production, but it's a fact of life.

I get a kick out of Plainsmen's Outlook posts. I'd venture to guess that if Saturn didn't include every bell and whistle from the outset, they would not sell a single car, so they can be excluded from this method of selling. Imagine, if you will, how awesomely horrible the Outlook would be if it didn't attract buyers by including all these things unnesecarry (but nice to have) accessories.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:28 AM
Intermediate

power rear hatch
lights in the hatch area
sunroof that tilts open and slides open...not just slide open
L.E.D taillights
Old 03-01-2008, 08:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sl_33
This is my 2 cents regarding 'missing' accessories on the RDX:

Maybe I'm wrong, but don't most manufacturers (incl. Acura) save a few accessories for future years?

I get a kick out of Plainsmen's Outlook posts. I'd venture to guess that if Saturn didn't include every bell and whistle from the outset, they would not sell a single car, so they can be excluded from this method of selling. Imagine, if you will, how awesomely horrible the Outlook would be if it didn't attract buyers by including all these things unnesecarry (but nice to have) accessories.
LOL. I get a kick out of such ignorance. Actually, 75% of Outlooks are sold rather stripped down, cloth seats, no NAV, no HIDs, etc. Price, utility and reliability are the appeal. Feel dumb? Good.

I happened to be a car buyer who always purchases totally vehicles regardless of brand. I wouldn't buy a stripped down, four-cylinder Honda either.

Don't be jealous because I have an RDX Tech AND and a comparably equipped 8-passenger Outlook.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:56 AM
El Chulo...

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up the force is with you.

Originally Posted by hyspeed808
power rear hatch
lights in the hatch area
sunroof that tilts open and slides open...not just slide open
L.E.D taillights

The Moonroof does tilt, just push the button in once and viola! tilt!. Push the button towards the rear and it slides open towards the windshield and it closes..
Old 03-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ThePlainsman
LOL. I get a kick out of such ignorance. Actually, 75% of Outlooks are sold rather stripped down, cloth seats, no NAV, no HIDs, etc. Price, utility and reliability are the appeal. Feel dumb? Good.

I happened to be a car buyer who always purchases totally vehicles regardless of brand. I wouldn't buy a stripped down, four-cylinder Honda either.

Don't be jealous because I have an RDX Tech AND and a comparably equipped 8-passenger Outlook.
I'm not insulting you Plainsmen, so cool your jets. I think the loyalty and pride you have for your Saturn is admirable. You certainly are defensive about it anyway.

If you're going to throw around numbers like 75%, then back it up with a source. Until then I will continue to think 100% of people of people that buy Saturns are dumb.

And I'm most certainly not jealous of your Outlook, nor is anyone else on this forum from what I've gathered in previous threads.

Having said that, I stand by what I said. If Saturn didn't offer, standard or option, all the bells and whistles from the outset, it would have a lot of trouble moving their line. Would you, Plainsmen, have bought a stripped down version of your Outlook? I didn't think so. But you bought an RDX even though it was missing a few things because you knew the quality and value of an Acura.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sl_33
I'm not insulting you Plainsmen, so cool your jets. I think the loyalty and pride you have for your Saturn is admirable. You certainly are defensive about it anyway.

If you're going to throw around numbers like 75%, then back it up with a source. Until then I will continue to think 100% of people of people that buy Saturns are dumb.

And I'm most certainly not jealous of your Outlook, nor is anyone else on this forum from what I've gathered in previous threads.

Having said that, I stand by what I said. If Saturn didn't offer, standard or option, all the bells and whistles from the outset, it would have a lot of trouble moving their line. Would you, Plainsmen, have bought a stripped down version of your Outlook? I didn't think so. But you bought an RDX even though it was missing a few things because you knew the quality and value of an Acura.
Actually, I bought the RDX mainly because it was fast. Had it not been for the significant difference in acceleration, I would've purchased the Land Rover LR2. I didn't know the RDX did not have power folding side mirrors or remote start. I didn't know you can't toggle off the Daytime Running lights. I just assumed it had those features. I should've checked. My fault.

There are three things that are absolute musts in any car I buy: on-board Navigation, HIDs, and and heated leather seats. A top notch sound system with six disc CD changer is probably fourth on the list, just to name accessories. So the RDX had all three of my "must haves." So did the LR2. But the latter vehicle was just too slow for my taste. Value never entered into the equation. I actually preferred the exterior looks of the LR2.

Anyway, that's not why I pick a particular vehicle--someone else's opinion of value. Land Rovers have a terrible reputation for quality and value but I didn't care. I'm going to get what I want and can afford. I passed only because it was slow by comparison.

I have zero brand loyalty. Not only am I first time Acura buyer, but I'm also a first time Saturn buyer. I may never buy either of them again. Who knows? It might be a Dodge or Cadillac or Hyundai next time.

It just seems a few people on this site are snobs about certain brands. People on this board will rave about Inifinitis (like the EX) or Lexus but seem to think American brands are beneath them. They need to wake up. Owning an Acura is no bigger deal than owning a Saturn, speaking as an owner of both. My Saturn cost more than my RDX Tech, has more bells and whistles, offers a luxuriously comfortable ride (if you get the upmarket model with the touring package) and has a lot more utility because of the size difference. I'm very pleased with both vehicles. As an RDX Tech owner, what's so bad about me saying nice things about my first experience with a particular American brand? Does it have to be an Infiniti to be allowed to rave about it?
Old 03-02-2008, 08:16 AM
8th Gear

Auto headlights
Auto sensing wipers
Memory Seat
And the ability to set HFL to eliminate the confirmation after asking it to call. Id rather be asked to decline the dial and not have to confirm it.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:52 AM
El Chulo...

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Red face almost perfect.

Even though I love my RDX , and it is nearly perfect. These are some of the things I would've liked to see on my model.

-Bigger brakes
-memory seats (already on 08')
-power passanger seat
-better/more choice of colors
-type-s model (probably in the future)
Old 03-05-2008, 03:50 PM
07 PWP RDX all day!

Here is my 2 cents

Since I got a 07 rdx I would like to have the following features.

1.memory seats(already in 08)
2.passenger power seat
3.the feature for the bluetooth on the car ,hands free
4.auto headlights
5.sunglases case (like the tsx)
Old 03-06-2008, 03:39 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wish list:

1. Keyless entry and start - Had this on the 2005 FX35 that I traded in for the RDX. Miss this one a lot.

2. Better Bluetooth integration. What a pain to dial from my Blackberry and have to press a button and say "Transfer" for each call.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's my list of top improvements to my 07 RDX... in no particular order:

1) Daytime Running lights toggle... I don't really care what other people think, so spare me the safety lecture. My car, my choice. I want to be able to toggle off the DRL, or mate them with the "parking" lights without a wiring diagram or monkeying around with the fuse panel or wiring harness. I'm a private detective, so I follow people... and that makes the DRL life threatening, not just REALLY annoying.

2a) CD/DVD player issue A) it should play MP3 DVDs. It plays MP3 CDs, it plays DVD-A, so what's the problem? I can fit 7 - 10 albums on a MP3 CD, and 45 - 50 albums on a MP3 DVD! It works on my computer, why NOT in my car? With six of these MP3 DVDs, I could have around 300 albums in my player at once!

2b) CD/DVD player issue B) it should play DVD-V. I don't want to WATCH the video on my screen (but why not if the vehicle is stopped), but I'd like to be able to play the DVD-V audio. A lot of 5.1 surround box sets are coming out on DVD-V only and I can't listen to them in my car. The menus must display, so only show the first 2 minutes of any video on the screen while the car's in motion. It's do-able...

2c) CD/DVD player issue C) player should display the MP3 tag information properly. How about showing the artist's name, album title, etc. when it's present. Also, why can't the CD player display CD-TEXT? It's in the CD-A Redbook, why not display it? And while we're on this topic, why not let the user configure what is displayed on the screen and where? This is supposed to be the "tech" package, but it feels dumbed down.

3) There should be panels to restrict the air damming effect in the under body cavities. This would improve the RDX's dismal gas mileage on the highway.

4) The gigantic key fob should have Bluetooth to unlock the ignition system like the Nissan Murano, so you don't need to insert the key if it's present in the vehicle.

5) I'd like to be able to toggle the rear camera on for a few seconds at a time without putting the car in reverse. I'd also appreciate a front camera for those tight parking situations, also for only a few seconds at a time. (And at low speed only if you're worried about distractions.)

Regards,
MikeBo

Quick Reply: RDX Owners/Enthusiasts: Your Top 5 Wish List