37.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

RDX owner in Canada - Tech or Non-Tech

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX owner in Canada - Tech or Non-Tech

As most of you in Canada know, lot of features in Tech package does not work in Canada. I am just wondering how many of Canadian RDX owners go for tech package and how many go for base model. And please specify any reasons.

Thanks

Note:
1) Base model price in Canada = Tech package in US
2) If you want GPS, portable one costs around CAD$500 or less
Old 10-03-2006, 11:13 AM
Intermediate

I went with the tech even though the XM satelite /real time traffic/ acuralink doesn't work in Canada .

The HFL/Stereo/Nav probably isn't worth the $4,000 upgrade , but is is functional and works quite well. You can use the voice command feature to control the stereo , climate control and the navigation

I'm still getting use to the navigation as the one in our MDX was a lot easier to use with the touch screen.

we pay more for less .......... I was told to get use to it .
Old 10-03-2006, 12:29 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Voice recognition

Originally Posted by Flamesfan
I went with the tech even though the XM satelite /real time traffic/ acuralink doesn't work in Canada .

The HFL/Stereo/Nav probably isn't worth the $4,000 upgrade , but is is functional and works quite well. You can use the voice command feature to control the stereo , climate control and the navigation

I'm still getting use to the navigation as the one in our MDX was a lot easier to use with the touch screen.

we pay more for less .......... I was told to get use to it .
Yes, not sure how good are those voice recognition function work in the RDX. I tried other voice recognition program on my Smartphone, it doesn't work very well either. Sometimes got me so frustrated that I just press the damn key myself
Old 10-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Advanced

i got a non-tech RDX too. living in vancouver, i never use a GPS and i believe my parking skill can compasate the real parking camera. all i like in the tech package is the 10-speaker stereo.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:59 PM
Instructor

base, my parents car....they have no need for the bluetooth/better stereo, and found the navi distracting
Old 10-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Originally Posted by ravemother
i got a non-tech RDX too. living in vancouver, i never use a GPS and i believe my parking skill can compasate the real parking camera. all i like in the tech package is the 10-speaker stereo.

I listen to radio most of the time in the car, so I guess ELS does not really improve the radio sound quality much

And I usually drive a rental car while I am out of town (where I would need a GPS the most). So, a portal GPS would be more useful and flexible for me. I can use it whereever I go. Again, tech package is a pretty good deal for those who lives in US
Old 10-03-2006, 05:32 PM
Intermediate

tech

Picked up the tech because wife liked the stereo better and I am just a tech guy. Really choked that they decided not to include the xm radio. What where they thinking. We buy one of the most Tech Vehicles available and then have to install a cheesy Xm ad on with wires hanging everwhere. The extra button on the radio does not seem to do anything and is not even mentioned in the manual.I hope up in canada they will offer a kit to convert the factory radio to xm as I believe the antena is still installed.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:42 PM
Racer

Base

I'm still debating between RDX vs. '07 Legacy. I'm going with the base though if I get the RDX.

The tech is good but I'd rather wait for them to refine the software a little more. I prefer the rear-sensors vs. rear camera. I like the Nav and sound system but don't think it's worth the +$4000.

But most importantly, I don't think the base models are selling as well as the tech...which means it's easier to cut a deal. I've seen base Carbon Gray RDXs sitting on two different dealer lots for weeks now and I'm sure they're more willing to get rid of them.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:49 AM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Rear sensors

Originally Posted by Boon
The tech is good but I'd rather wait for them to refine the software a little more. I prefer the rear-sensors vs. rear camera. I like the Nav and sound system but don't think it's worth the +$4000.

Sorry, I know it is off topic.... Do you know any place in Toronto offers rear sensors installation ? If so, is it worth to take it instead of dealer's one ? I know Acura is selling it for around $900.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:18 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by acurardx
Sorry, I know it is off topic.... Do you know any place in Toronto offers rear sensors installation ? If so, is it worth to take it instead of dealer's one ? I know Acura is selling it for around $900.
Y'know I really wish I could help out. I'm not really a DIY kind of guy so I'd rather have the dealer handle installations like the sensors, front spoiler, etc.

That said, I know if you bargain hard enough the dealer might offer free installation...bringing the price of the sensors down to around $600. Maybe if you go back to your dealer, they might give you a discount? Or buy the OEM parts yourself from Curry Acura or something and go to any auto-garage and have them install it.

I'm really just guessing here though.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

sensor

Y'know I really wish I could help out. I'm not really a DIY kind of guy so I'd rather have the dealer handle installations like the sensors, front spoiler, etc.

That said, I know if you bargain hard enough the dealer might offer free installation...bringing the price of the sensors down to around $600. Maybe if you go back to your dealer, they might give you a discount? Or buy the OEM parts yourself from Curry Acura or something and go to any auto-garage and have them install it.

I'm really just guessing here though.
But you know, once the deal is closed. It would be impossible to ask the dealer anything else................. (RDX was delivered last week)
Old 10-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Racer

If your dealer is nice enough or wants to invest in your future business they just might do it...but yeah I was just grasping at straws.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Rdx

I'm still debating between RDX vs. '07 Legacy. I'm going with the base though if I get the RDX.

But most importantly, I don't think the base models are selling as well as the tech...which means it's easier to cut a deal. I've seen base Carbon Gray RDXs sitting on two different dealer lots for weeks now and I'm sure they're more willing to get rid of them.
Boon, have you decided what to buy yet ? I hope you pick up a RDX and join our RDX family

Since you are living in Toronto, I think the RDX would be better than Legacy. It is taller, and SH-handling drive better on snow. Our snowing season is coming in a month
Old 10-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Racer

Hey AcuraRDX...I'd love nothing more than to have my very own Carbon Gray RDX sitting in my driveway but I've been postponing til the new 2007 Legacy's come out...and now that their out, my family has passed down the Ford Freestyle to me. The Ford is still on a lease so there's no way I can even trade it in (which I totally would have if we'd bought it).

The Freestyle is a decent SUV...good handling, uses regular gas, and it's all decked out with all the optional features. The only that really sucks is the engine...it's freakin' loud and acceleration is poor on the highway. And it's huge.

I'll just wait out the lease and then get the 08 RDX next year. If Subaru can match the RDX's interior in their planned overhaul of the Legacy next year then that may be an option too. No point in blowing all my money yet when I just got a free car. Until then, trust me when I say that I am extremely jealous of you all.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:17 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Only 11 votes. We only have 11 Canadian RDX owners on this board ?
Old 10-19-2006, 03:37 PM
Intermediate

A little off topic, but in the spring I had decided to get an RDX and even put a deposit on one. I reconsidered because the closest dealer to me is 250 miles away, and this being a first year model I was afraid of bugs that may show up. Instead of the RDX I purchased a Lexus RX350 with nav. The car is great, but the nav system is next to useless where I live. Some of the highway's shown are over 40 years out of date. I'm not joking. I don't even know where they found a map that old. I would suggest getting a portable GPS as one that I have seen has the correct highway map on it, and sells for $400.00. Thousands less than what I paid for.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:02 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

rdx

Originally Posted by simplesimon
A little off topic, but in the spring I had decided to get an RDX and even put a deposit on one. I reconsidered because the closest dealer to me is 250 miles away, and this being a first year model I was afraid of bugs that may show up. Instead of the RDX I purchased a Lexus RX350 with nav. The car is great, but the nav system is next to useless where I live. Some of the highway's shown are over 40 years out of date. I'm not joking. I don't even know where they found a map that old. I would suggest getting a portable GPS as one that I have seen has the correct highway map on it, and sells for $400.00. Thousands less than what I paid for.
That's another main reason I was saying it might not be a good idea to take tech package in Canada, especially if the nav system is the main reason for you to buy the tech.

I am using TomTom as my GPS, one of the best GPS software in the market, still lot of roads unfound in its map, especially outside Toronto. Simple reason is that Canada is too small a market for the mapping company to invest. That's why the whole Canada map in TomTom is even small size (in terms of MB) than a single map size of any major state in US. Then, you get the idea how much details you can get from the Canada GPS map.

It is ok to spend several hundreds $ on a portable GPS to play around with the GPS technology toy but definitely not thousands of $$$.

Conclusions: Nav works well in US does not mean it works good in Canada. That's why I make this thread specificly for Canadian owners.

Note: I am not sure what mapping software RDX is using but I would assume Acura would just buy it from any major GPS companies, so it won't be a lot better than TomTom
Old 10-19-2006, 06:32 PM
Dennis

Yes, not sure how good are those voice recognition function work in the RDX. I tried other voice recognition program on my Smartphone, it doesn't work very well either. Sometimes got me so frustrated that I just press the damn key myself
There are lot of flesh-and-blood people that have trouble understanding me but, with a little care, the Acura system doesn't seem to have much trouble.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Intermediate

The voice recognition works fine in the RDX , the hands free link works well.

You can also use the voice command to control the stereo and ventilation system .

They do recommend that you speak clearly and have the windows rolled up to eliminate external noise .

I saw a Lexus GS 350(?) on display in the mall today .The top ended model with navi and intelligent cruise control was priced at $90,000 +GST. Yes it has 300HP and a ton of options , but I'll take my RDX (Tech) any day .

But in Calgary theres so much frickin money floating around that Lexus, BMW, Mercedes and Porche can sell almost everthing at full MSRP.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:20 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Rdx

Can any Canadian RDX owner update how good is the RDX's map work in Canada ? Did it find most of the roads you look for ?
Old 10-31-2006, 10:46 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Gps

No one replies, I guess no body really uses the GPS in Canada
Old 11-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Cruisin'

can anyone post pics of the non-tech RDX dash? is there a double din so you can fit an avic z1 in it?
Old 11-03-2006, 02:16 PM
7th Gear

GPS in Canada

Can any Canadian RDX owner update how good is the RDX's map work in Canada ? Did it find most of the roads you look for ?

I live in Calgary and I am quite pleased with the voice activated gps system. However not many restaurants are listed with Zagat Reviews for Calgary.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Gps

Originally Posted by iqurei
I live in Calgary and I am quite pleased with the voice activated gps system. However not many restaurants are listed with Zagat Reviews for Calgary.
Yes, I didn't expect the Zagat reviews work much in Canada at all as their main target is US customers. What about the street maps in general ? Does the GPS find most of roads you are looking for ?
Old 11-03-2006, 02:31 PM
7th Gear

Yes, I didn't expect the Zagat reviews work much in Canada at all as their main target is US customers. What about the street maps in general ? Does the GPS find most of roads you are looking for ?
I think the street maps are great for Calgary at least... I've found every address I have tried so far.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Rdx

I think if the US RDXs are not shown in miles on dashboard, the Acura dealers would probably ship most base model in stock at the showroom to Canada.

Majority of US buyers are going for tech (I would too if I live in US), but only about half buyers in Canada go for tech. I think later on when more people in Canada realize most features in tech package do not apply to Canada, they would probably go for base as well.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Dennis

Originally Posted by ROOR
can anyone post pics of the non-tech RDX dash? is there a double din so you can fit an avic z1 in it?
Might be tough to do even if the slot's right. The climate control portion of the center stack overhangs the audio section and there's not a lot of room between the radio and the shift lever.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:18 AM
Cruisin'

that sucks... no navi for me then
Old 11-05-2006, 12:24 AM
Racer

Base RDX here ... only wanted the tech for the stereo and camera ... figure i would add the sensors later if my wife needs it ... camera would just be a toy for me.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:16 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by marakbai
Base RDX here ... only wanted the tech for the stereo and camera ... figure i would add the sensors later if my wife needs it ... camera would just be a toy for me.

Same here. Even though I won't buy until next year, no way I'm paying that much for a better sound system and a camera. I'd probably would get the stereo upgrade if it was a separate option but inside that tech package the price just is too high for what interests me in it.

GPS is cool but I know where my office is and where my country house is....and it's not like there was 10 different highways that I could use to get there so it's rather useless to me.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
Went with the base. Had navi on the TSX and it was useful at times but mainly used on the gas mileage computer which too be honest wasn't very effective compared to doing it manually as I have for years. I also liked the touch screen better myself regardless of finger prints and found the back up camera to be too much of a distraction myself.

Good for some things but continually turning my head and checking the mirrors feels better to me. Just my 2 cents worth.

Nothing the matter with the stereo in the base either.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:29 PM
4th Gear

I live in the Edmonton area and the nav system works good here, I haven't had any problems with it, and I have used it quite a few times. I love the address book since my wife and I do take-out out alot, nice to be able to select from my list of restaurants and have the bluetooth dial the number using voice commands. I also do quite a bit of highway driving and I use the blue-tooth option all the time, now that I have it I don't want to go back. I also use the voice recognition for the bluetooth, stereo, temperature and have not had any problems. I love the backup camera, nice to know how close I am to low items that I can't see out the back window. Sucks that we don't have the XM feature, my wife has the '07 MDX, it's awesome and the XM radio feature is nice. Overall I love my RDX, I definetely made the right choice, and even though the price was a little high I am glad I got the tech package.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:08 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
TECH all the way..

I got the Tech package. Living in Vancouver, I decided to get the tech for a variety of reasons.. mostly for the backup camera, bluetooth connectivity to my cell phone and voice navigation that is absolutely fantastic. The upgraded stereo is a plus.

Before I got the RDX, I have been using a portable GPS on my Palm Tungsten PDA and this was fine, but there are tons more info in the RDX's GPS that made it worth it. As for real-time traffic, even if we had that here in Vancouver, I probably would not use it, but I would still use the GPS for a variety of reasons - especially for my wife and kids and travelling around BC and the Western US States. It sure beats going to the local BCAA and using paper maps!!

You have to remember that all this can be purchased thru third parties for half the price, but the integration into the auto would not be as good as if Acura puts it in. That is why you spend the extra 4K.

I don't know about everyone else, but I think the Tech package is worth it.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Customer Car Care Clinic

Just attended the Acura Customer Car Care Clinic in GTA, there are RDX tech owners saying that the nav system couldn't find lot of addresses they were looking for and those are not new developed areas. So, I guess the mapping softwares in RDX/Acura nav is nothing better than other portable GPS. Like I mentioned before, Canada is too small market for mapping software company to invest on.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Advanced

I have a portable GPS (Garmin) that I bought for use on my Mazda and my motorbike, but I still went with the Tech package on the RDX. I like having the integrated system and the bigger screen, the better sound system, and some of the more detailed info on the driving computer... And my wife and I are geeks, so we really couldn't help ourselves.

It'll be interesting to see how much use we actually get out of it after a year...

BTW, does anyone know who supplies the mapping software for Acura? I remember hearing that the company that Garmin uses is based out of Canada, so the maps are pretty well done...

Edit - Just realized as well that some of the problems when trying to find addresses may stem from using inaccurate city names. I have had some problems trying to find an address in Mississauga, but later found out the GPS knows the address to be in Port Credit (which, technically, is correct)...
Old 12-03-2006, 12:04 AM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Tech

Originally Posted by Skeandhu
I have a portable GPS (Garmin) that I bought for use on my Mazda and my motorbike, but I still went with the Tech package on the RDX. I like having the integrated system and the bigger screen, the better sound system, and some of the more detailed info on the driving computer... And my wife and I are geeks, so we really couldn't help ourselves.

It'll be interesting to see how much use we actually get out of it after a year...

BTW, does anyone know who supplies the mapping software for Acura? I remember hearing that the company that Garmin uses is based out of Canada, so the maps are pretty well done...

Edit - Just realized as well that some of the problems when trying to find addresses may stem from using inaccurate city names. I have had some problems trying to find an address in Mississauga, but later found out the GPS knows the address to be in Port Credit (which, technically, is correct)...
In terms of finding the addresses, I don't think the RDX's built in one is anything better than the portable one. But I think voice recognition is kind of cool. By the way, how good is the Voice Recognition function working so far ?
Old 12-04-2006, 12:29 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi, couldn't resist the Tech either so I got it. I love the navi !

Regarding the Voice recognition, it actually works quite well. But you have to speak really clearly. Can't rush the talking and try not to be too expressive or excited when you speak or it won't do the right thing. Personally, I seem to only use it to "Go.. to a preset address" as in using the Navi and calling out via hands free link. Using the Radio and Climate Control, I find pressing the buttons much faster. I can leave my left hand on the wheel and my right hand on the radio.

It is kinda funny for me as I am used to a standard shift and my right hand is always comfortably on the stick shift instead of the wheel. Its a habit that I have even when I am driving an auto.

MGS
Old 12-04-2006, 09:22 AM
Intermediate

[QUOTE=MGS2007]I got the Tech package. Living in Vancouver, I decided to get the tech for a variety of reasons.. mostly for the backup camera, bluetooth connectivity to my cell phone and voice navigation that is absolutely fantastic. The upgraded stereo is a plus.

Before I got the RDX, I have been using a portable GPS on my Palm Tungsten PDA and this was fine, but there are tons more info in the RDX's GPS that made it worth it. As for real-time traffic, even if we had that here in Vancouver, I probably would not use it, but I would still use the GPS for a variety of reasons - especially for my wife and kids and travelling around BC and the Western US States. It sure beats going to the local BCAA and using paper maps!!

You have to remember that all this can be purchased thru third parties for half the price, but the integration into the auto would not be as good as if Acura puts it in. That is why you spend the extra 4K.

You better not throw away your maps just yet. In August I bought a Lexus RX350 with nav. In my area of the Kootenay's it's next to useless. Good thing I know where I'm going or I'd be in trouble. A stretch of highway 3A still shows the road where it was 40 years ago. This piece of road was changed in the early 60's. I can't imagine where they even found a map that old. When I go to the mall in Nelson the nav shows me almost in the middle of the lake. The reason for this is, the mall was built on landfill in the early 80's. Point of interest show business's that were closed years ago.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Tech

[QUOTE=simplesimon]
Originally Posted by MGS2007
I got the Tech package. Living in Vancouver, I decided to get the tech for a variety of reasons.. mostly for the backup camera, bluetooth connectivity to my cell phone and voice navigation that is absolutely fantastic. The upgraded stereo is a plus.

You better not throw away your maps just yet. In August I bought a Lexus RX350 with nav. In my area of the Kootenay's it's next to useless. Good thing I know where I'm going or I'd be in trouble. A stretch of highway 3A still shows the road where it was 40 years ago. This piece of road was changed in the early 60's. I can't imagine where they even found a map that old. When I go to the mall in Nelson the nav shows me almost in the middle of the lake. The reason for this is, the mall was built on landfill in the early 80's. Point of interest show business's that were closed years ago.

Yes, if you travel a lot , especially to US, the GPS probably can help you a lot and you should get the tech.

I know our canadian maps in any GPS system are so outdated, even TomTom's (one of the best GPS manufacturers)

CAD$4,000 for tech but with our taxes, it is CAD4,600 So, buy it only if you need it as car is always a depreciating asset.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:58 AM
OakvilleRDX

Nav

While enjoying the voice commands and blue tooth connectivity, the nav has me a bit worried... the suggested routes in to Toronto (from Oakville) are quite dumb, wanting me to take Hwy 5 all the way in, rather than QEW. Being local, I can ignore the stupid advice, but worry that if going to a non-familiar destination, I will blindly follow "her" directions, and end up wasting a lot of time. Anyone else have issues with bad route advice? Will US destinations have better suggestions?

Quick Reply: RDX owner in Canada - Tech or Non-Tech