RDX Jan. sales 1798 units vs 2447 in December; Bigger Discounts are coming !

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX Jan. sales 1798 units vs 2447 in December; Bigger Discounts are coming !

Acura just came out with sales numbers for RDX in January: 1798 units.
December sales were higher at 2447 units.

Expect significant discounting to continue if these numbers are any indication !

P.S. 9164 units sold in August-December + 1798 in January = 10862 units in 6 months. Extrapolated sales for the year 22000 units

What does everyone think !
Old 02-01-2007, 01:18 PM
Instructor

It's a significant dip, considering that it has been increasing through December. And the 1798 units I think is less than November's numbers of about 2000 units. Whether one-off or seasonal decline, I don't know. From a business perspective, probably not good news for the Acura RDX team.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Instructor

With current VINs in the 16xxx range and only 10xxx sold so far, there must be around 4000 on dealer lots. This means a 2 month backlog if 2000 can be sold each month even if they do not ship another new one into the dealer inventories.

I would expect the current discounts to continue or go deeper.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:15 PM
10th Gear

It is a very low number. Honda sold more CR-Vs than all Acuras in January.

As someone who follows sales numbers a lot, this is not a good sign for the RDX. You shouldn't see sales dip month to month over the vehicles first year that badly especially since Jan was such a good month for sales over all. Most hits taken by Ford and GM were fleet sales as well.

Ford sold 5,500 Edge SUVs in comparison. I think a lot of people are either getting the RDX confused with the MDX or simply see the stepup to the MDX not so big and can afford it. Its also newer and has actual returning customers.

It's too bad. Nifty little vehicle.
Although every Acura besides the MDX was also down including the updated TL.

I would expect to see more discounting at the dealer level and probably incentive discounts from Acura.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Advanced

I don't know if it's fair to compair CRV and Edge sales to RDX sales in total numbers. January sales for the Lincoln MKX were only 1699. Anyone know how many BMW X3's were sold in January? Or how many Lexus RX 330's?

Rusty
Old 02-01-2007, 04:42 PM
10th Gear

RX 350/400h 6,544

BMW didn't release full figures yet but in Dec they sold 3800 X3s and I'd bet that number is slightly higher for Jan. just on more selling days, better month over all.

I think the new LR2 will do well too with the $35K base price similarly loaded to the RDX.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:44 PM
10th Gear

oh and edge equipped with AWD is close to RDX price. They still start close to $30K regardless. Don't think the MKX had a full month of sales in Jan.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Instructor

Who cares? How does this effect those of us who already own an RDX? Acura won't abandon a line just because of sluggish sales over one month. Maybe they'll put out more discounts, and maybe they won't. Trying to guess is like trying to sell a stock right before it tanks. In fact, if you're that cheap, you could just wait till 08 and buy a used or leftover 07.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:53 PM
10th Gear

Nabbs,
I'm new here but from what I can tell the Discounts thread is the most popular so I'm guessing a lot of readers are interested, even in speculation.
I don't think they'll abandon the line either but following sales and trends could change the starting price or incorporation of more features etc.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:17 PM
Advanced

I agree there will be allot of interest on this thread. I don't understand why the RDX isn't selling in big numbers. In 30 years of driving, it's the most fun I have ever had behind the wheel! Thanks for the info on the Lexus and the thoughts on the Bimmer numbers.

Rusty
Old 02-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Intermediate

It is interesting that the RDX is doing so poorly. Considering a fully-loaded CR-V with nav is going for $29k now. My theory is that enough people are considering the total cost of ownership. With premium gas required and mediocre gas mileage, at best, plus above average maintenance costs as well. For me, the jump from a 29k CRV to a 33.5k RDX (best price on a tech RDX I've seen) is reasonable!
Old 02-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Advanced

Well, I'll tell you why I haven't bought one - the engine. I would buy one immediately if they would throw a 6-cylinder in it. The turbo 4 was just too rough for my tastes - coming from a TL. I love everything else about it though.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Red face Price

I think that the biggest complaint that I have heard thus far (reviewers & shoppers) is the price. For starters, it was too close to the already established MDX. Also, Acura has always been known to be a really good deal & the RDX kind of defied that; not that it was expensive but just not a great deal.

It is a shame that I have seen many of the new Mazdas & only 1 RDX - which brings me to my next point: it is not all that luxurious when you consider the badge & the price. This may cause crosshopping w/ lower brands like Mazda. Altho I loved the interior design, some of the materials seemed rather cheap. The TSX has nicer plastics. There was also a lack of some common luxury items like power passenger seats & auto dimming mirror which I am sure will be added later but they may cost sales now.

The engine is another sore point: some whined about the turbo instead of 6 cylinder & others were not satisfied w/ the fuel economy.

What can Acura do to turn this story into one more like the Ridgeline & not the RL? I would add all the missing common luxury items so that it will not pale in comparisons & make the RDX a better value. Probably too soon to freshen up the styling but they could @ least offer a 6 cylinder engine as an option.

I know many, myself included, thought that the sales target was too high & would make the RDX look like a failure but it is not too late to turn this around. The RL on the other hand ...

Old 02-01-2007, 07:14 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Has Acura ever DECREASED their sales price for any vehicle with a new model year?
Old 02-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Intermediate

i hope these kinds of discussions keep coming and that the discounts stay around or get better because i'm just about ready to buy...

my dealer told me the good financing deals ended on 1/31 but the website says 2/5...
Old 02-01-2007, 08:53 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Well, the market has adjusted and the RDX has been selling at a healthy discount. I was ho hum about paying retail, but at $3300 under retail it was a screaming bargain to me. I think the RDX was priced a little too high to start. Perhaps they will add content in 08 and/or drop the MSRP. I do think it's a great vehicle, and hope it sticks around.

The Jan sales are not out of line with the previous sales trend:

All along, they have been on track to sell about 1800 a month (that would be the average sales), or 22000 a year. The current sales are pretty much in line with the previous trend. What looks bad is the comparison with the projected sales of 40K units per year, but I am sure Acura has already lowered their expectations.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Advanced

I agree with c_hunter that at current prices the RDX is a great deal. I cross shopped the RDX with the CR-V. In fact, I received one of the first brochures on the RDX last spring/summer and planned on getting one to replace my accord v6 coupe. However, the price put me off and once the CR-V came out I looked hard at it. I drove both and while the CR-V is nice, it doesn't hold up to the RDX, especially in power, driving feel and interior/exterior materials.

I then crunched the numbers on leasing either one and was very surprised to find out that with Honda's crappy MF of .00275 that if I were to get a CR-V EX-L with fogs and spoiler for $26k (and this is assuming they discount which they may not) then my lease payment would be $395 a month for 36/15k. For the RDX with Acura's special MF of .00146 and invoice pricing, it came to $415 a month. Now who wouldn't pay $20 a month more for an RDX??? Plus, I was quoted identical insurance rates for either vehicle!

I think if more people find out about this and test drive one the RDX sales will climb. It really is a good deal right now and may get better who knows.....
Old 02-01-2007, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by TSX69
It is a shame that I have seen many of the new Mazdas & only 1 RDX - which brings me to my next point: it is not all that luxurious when you consider the badge & the price. This may cause crosshopping w/ lower brands like Mazda. Altho I loved the interior design, some of the materials seemed rather cheap. The TSX has nicer plastics.
We own a TSX also, and I feel that the RDX interior is slightly better quality in a couple areas. Neither vehicle is super luxurious -- at the low end of the Acura line, vehicles have always been "premium" rather than luxury. I certainly have not been buying Acuras with luxury in mind, in fact I tend to not like luxury content. What Acura is doing with the TSX and RDX is right inline with my tastes.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:52 PM
Instructor

c_hunter, can you redraw the graph with in-month volumes (ie. the number sold each month) instead of cumulative sold, please?
Old 02-01-2007, 10:52 PM

Old 02-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Cruisin'

Even though Acuras typically have good resale value, I think weak new car sales is an indicator for poor resale value in the future. In my observation, I have only seen 1 Mazda CX-7, maybe 3 RDX, and lots of RAV4 on the road. Personally, I prefer the RDX to have 6 cylinders because I am more comfortable believing it will last longer so I would not think about resale value as much. I'm still skeptical on the 4 cylinder turbo.

Anyone know when Acura will announce the 2008 RDX and if there are any updates?
Old 02-01-2007, 11:00 PM
Cruisin'

I find the sales figures interesting, but I really don't mind if no one else ever buys this car. I will enjoy it just the same and probably like its uniqueness even more. (This is wife's car; I was contemplating a BMW 530 but for $57,000, it's just too common.) Of course, I was a proud owner of a previous Acura sales disaster -- the Vigor. I loved that car and drove it for 9 years. I think its style holds up even today, although when I do spot one, it's rare to see one in good condition. By the way, I didn't post any purchase info under any other topic, but I paid $33,090 for RDX with tech in So Cal -- although the final price was jacked up about $250 because they required me to pay for wheel locks and some sort of ID marking on various parts of the car.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:31 AM
Racer

I agree that the RDX is a great car but the perceived value given it's pricepoint isn't quite there yet. When visiting the showroom with some friends, almost all were turned off by the lack of "basic" luxury features given the $41K price tag (in Canada). Throw in a few of the amenities everyone's complained about over the months and I think it'll improve on that perceived value.

Would 22K units by October be considered a failure for Acura? In comparison, how well did some of their other models sell in their freshman year?
Old 02-02-2007, 07:00 AM
Got Boost?Rdx/Base/CGP

Originally Posted by c_hunter
is that only in ths US or Also In Canada..Cuz'i bought mine in October 2006..even its not bad for the sales..they alway say that they sell a lot but i dont see much on the road :S
Old 02-02-2007, 07:31 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So I was talking to my wife about this discussion last night, and I was starting to feel bad about paying full MSRP for my RDX back in August (although I did get some free accessories). After thinking about it for a while, I decided not to feel bad. I don't care if this car doesn't sell, or if the retail value suffers in the long run. Even though I had my heart set on this car because of the interior and tech features, what really sold me was driving it. It's the most fun, comfortable car I've ever had. To me, as long as I'm happy, that's all that's important. I buy all my cars (sorry...I just don't like the idea of renting a car for 3 years), and I run them all into the ground anyway.

There....my unsolicited opinion. :-)
Mike
Old 02-02-2007, 08:47 AM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wifecar
I find the sales figures interesting, but I really don't mind if no one else ever buys this car. I will enjoy it just the same and probably like its uniqueness even more. (This is wife's car; I was contemplating a BMW 530 but for $57,000, it's just too common.) Of course, I was a proud owner of a previous Acura sales disaster -- the Vigor. I loved that car and drove it for 9 years. I think its style holds up even today, although when I do spot one, it's rare to see one in good condition. By the way, I didn't post any purchase info under any other topic, but I paid $33,090 for RDX with tech in So Cal -- although the final price was jacked up about $250 because they required me to pay for wheel locks and some sort of ID marking on various parts of the car.

I think it's downright comical that every month we have the same discussion on sales figures with the same "add the autodim mirror, dual power seats, etc." But it's fun and topical, so I'll join in again.

The fact missing from this discussion is that there is just about zero marketing for the RDX (at least in broadcast from what I've not seen)...and the scant print campaign appears to me (as a marketer) to be off-target. There is too much focus on "nerdy" features (like voice-activated nav) and not enough on ATTITUDE and PERFORMANCE which is why people ultimately plop down 30k plus on a ride like this. Let's face it, the RDX is nothing if not a performance SUV with a heap of 'tude. So, Acura, hire ME and I'll sell the damn thing!

Ditto what wifecar and catnippants said...I really like my RDX and the fact that I don't see them on every street corner (I've seen exactly -none- since I got mine) is a plus not a minus for me. At this point, I plan to drive it for several years. I had my Stealth for 10 years and it was the same story: they ended up only selling about 20k units a year and that was fine with me. And I got good resale value from it. Like the S2000, the RDX is definitely a niche vehicle but it still needs to market to that niche.

I also agree with Craig in that I actually like the lack of butter-dripping luxury. I think the RDX is pretty darn good the way it is, although it's a tad overpriced.

All hail the Vigor! My late wife and I lusted after that one when it first appeared, but it was just too much k at that young point in our lives. I only see them once or twice a year now, and yeah, they are always beat up, ouch! Geez, 33090 on a Tech?! Wow. Sounds like you got that for actual dealer cost or a couple nickels over.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:25 AM
Racer

Is this a cyclical thing? Perhaps January is usually a slow month for car sales. People has to pay bills from the holidays and the last thing on their mind is buying a new car.

Joe
Old 02-02-2007, 09:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pacer
The fact missing from this discussion is that there is just about zero marketing for the RDX (at least in broadcast from what I've not seen)...and the scant print campaign appears to me (as a marketer) to be off-target. There is too much focus on "nerdy" features (like voice-activated nav) and not enough on ATTITUDE and PERFORMANCE which is why people ultimately plop down 30k plus on a ride like this. Let's face it, the RDX is nothing if not a performance SUV with a heap of 'tude. So, Acura, hire ME and I'll sell the damn thing!
When the RDX first came out I couldn't turn a tv on without seeing all the various RDX commercials. They were advertising it like crazy in the NoVA area. They had different commercials for the tech package, and for SH-AWD, and for the Turbo and for Nav traffic. But then when the MDX came out, they dropped the RDX advertising and went with pushing the MDX, which makes perfect sense to me. And then when the other new models came out they had to advertise those as well.

I'm happy with the number being low, but still rather consistent. Also don't forget that #1 december sales are probably higher with xmas purchases and #2 they extended december sales through january 2nd which is also when the first financing deal was ending, so there was a big push in sales then. The current finanancing deal will likely get a big push this first week in february since it ends on the 5th.

The only reason I'd want to see the RDX sales pick up dramatically is for aftermarket accessories. If they sold 4000 units a month, Comptech would be making performance parts!
Old 02-02-2007, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by catnippants
So I was talking to my wife about this discussion last night, and I was starting to feel bad about paying full MSRP for my RDX back in August (although I did get some free accessories). After thinking about it for a while, I decided not to feel bad. I don't care if this car doesn't sell, or if the retail value suffers in the long run. Even though I had my heart set on this car because of the interior and tech features, what really sold me was driving it. It's the most fun, comfortable car I've ever had. To me, as long as I'm happy, that's all that's important. I buy all my cars (sorry...I just don't like the idea of renting a car for 3 years), and I run them all into the ground anyway.

There....my unsolicited opinion. :-)
Mike
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it either. If you felt comfortable with the purchase at the time, then that's what you have to stick with. Deals will always get better with time on a lot of products (think about how much computer prices drop) so I almost expect it myself. I am sure I will look back on my January purchase with some derision 6-7 months from now when we are hearing about even better end of model year deals.

In my case, I deliberated about the RDX for a long time (4+ months), and eventually pricing converged with my comfort level and other feelings about the RDX to the point where I really wanted one bad! I was wishy-washy about the RDX in earlier months, but I am glad I kept looking at it -- it really grew on me, and I now can't remember another new car I have liked so much.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by quake97
Is this a cyclical thing? Perhaps January is usually a slow month for car sales. People has to pay bills from the holidays and the last thing on their mind is buying a new car.
That is a very important point to keep in mind. To really put the sales into perspective, they need to be weighed against typical sales cycles. Here's more from Acura's Jan sales press release:

Overall, Acura began 2007 with sales of 13,017 units sold for the month, down 10.6 percent from a year ago based on the daily selling rate that included one fewer day than last January. MDX led Acura sales for the month with 4,153 units sold, eclipsing its total from a year ago by 3.8 percent and making it the model's second-best January ever.
So it does seem like Jan 07 was a slow month for Acura in general (especially if you consider that the all-new 07 MDX sales were only 3.8% higher than the old, long-in-the-tooth 06 MDX).

If somebody has time, they could scan the monthly Acura sales press releases for the last couple years to try and get an idea of monthly cycles. Might be something to learn there. All the data is on hondanews.com.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

Originally Posted by sasair
When the RDX first came out I couldn't turn a tv on without seeing all the various RDX commercials. They were advertising it like crazy in the NoVA area. They had different commercials for the tech package, and for SH-AWD, and for the Turbo and for Nav traffic. /snip/

Hmm, I never saw anything here in the heartland, not even a group branding ad. They probably figured the RDX is too cool for the flyover country bumpkins. I tell you, though, I see a TON of TSXs around here. And quite a lot of MDXs, even the new ones. Ditto on the rest of what you said; a few aftermarket goodies never hurt.

Speaking of that, I'm contemplating the pedals posted recently on this board.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm, I never saw anything here in the heartland, not even a group branding ad.
Last night I saw an ad emphasizing performance (engine and super handling AWD). I thought it was well done.

I'm not a marketing professional, but I do appreciate the creativity that goes into good work.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Pro

Hmm, I never saw anything here in the heartland, not even a group branding ad. They probably figured the RDX is too cool for the flyover country bumpkins.
Yeah...don't you all you guys drive 20 year old ford and chevy pickups? Oh wait...that's just here in VT.

Mike
Old 02-02-2007, 03:18 PM

Yeah...don't you all you guys drive 20 year old ford and chevy pickups? Oh wait...that's just here in VT.

Mike

Shoot, last time I was in VT it was a 10-20 year old Subaru love fest...
Old 02-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Advanced

You marketing experts probably know this; but I'm curious why President's Weekend is a big "sales" weekend in the auto industry? Anybody expect any rebates or special deals from Acura as the long weekend approaches?
Old 02-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Danbury
You marketing experts probably know this; but I'm curious why President's Weekend is a big "sales" weekend in the auto industry? Anybody expect any rebates or special deals from Acura as the long weekend approaches?
My guess is that it is just a long weekend where nothing closes and alot of people are off from work. Any excuse for a sale...
Old 02-03-2007, 07:09 AM
Diggin' the RDX!

Mike
Right on the pickups, but mostly they're brand new. The econ figures came out the other day; we as Americans spent more in '06 than we made. The Midwest is no exception!

SAS -- right you are on any excuse for a sale.

Glad to hear the new ads are looking good. Hopefully they'll update the print campaign as well.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:12 AM
1st Gear

Hi guys, I'm a lurker here who is considering an RDX. I just wanted to say that you folks have a great forum that is informative and civilized. You should be proud.

I think I have a an idea as to what the problem is.

First, as an upscale mid size type product the field is overpopulated with new (or redesigned) product. I mean it's silly how many choices you have: RX350, X3, CX-7, CX-9, Rav4, Edge....I don't have time to list them all. Don't forget that this is a relatively new buying segment as well in terms of mainstream popularity. I know the Lexus and CR-V have been around for a while, but the segment is just now taking off.

Second, alot of people lease these cars. The X3 is a bunch more if you buy but not if you lease. I think that explains BMW's increase in X3 sales.

Third, the premium fuel, gas mileage equation seems wrong for a turbo 4. Basically, the fuel comparison puts the car too close to 6 cylinder cars in economy. I think most people feel more comfortable with a 6. I could be wrong about that tho.

Finally, my personal experience with a test drive showed some performance flaws that I haven't recociled yet. I love turbo motors but the RDX I drove a was alittle weak in the ecceleration from 50 to 80 mph (passing manuever). Also, I had concerns about the handling. Going around a turn I could feel what seamed like the power steering going on and off trying to determine what I was doing.

I like the car alot and I will drive it again before I decide to buy anything.

Again thanks for all of the info. I may be adding to the sales numbers soon.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:55 AM
Gearhead

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
I seriously shopped the RDX before buying a competitor even though I've been a long time Acura fan. I still have a TL in the garage. Ultimately what turned me off from buying it was its terrible mileage for a 4 cyl. At this price point it should have had a V6 and more punch. I didn't like the lack of touch screen nav as my kids like to do the nav functions and that crappy dial is the same thing I hated in the RL.

My gut also told me that the RDX didn't live up to its hype and they were going to have another RL on their hands and if I bought one, I'd get killed on resale value. For the money they are asking it should have had stellar performance and it doesn't. It doesn't blow away its competitors in any area and a V6 Rav4 will suck its headlights out in the stoplight gran prix. It has no real towing ability and is in reality priced about $3k (retail too high).

I am not saying it is a bad car but it is not a good value. There is no area where I could see it was clearly superior to its competitors and the nagging feeling about buying a lame duck ultimately convinced me to not buy it. I thought if it at least sold pretty well, the aftermarket might address the lack of punch with mods but if it there isn't critical mass nobody will develop accessories for it. As is, it felt too slow and I actually wanted to tow a trailer it would have been even doggier. Some of you claim yours are pretty quick but all the ones I drove didn't feel like a mid 6 second 0-60 vehicle but closer to the 8 second range.

For those of you who have them and love them I am glad you like your purchase. I just feel Acura could have done a lot more with it than they did. What is the point of a 15mpg tiny CUV that isn't quick? It is like the answered a question most people weren't asking. I shopped it because I am a big Acura fan so they already had a good shot at selling me one.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RF951
Hi guys, I'm a lurker here who is considering an RDX. I just wanted to say that you folks have a great forum that is informative and civilized. You should be proud.
First, thanks for becoming a poster instead of a lurker! Hope you get an RDX soon and join in on all the discussions. Second, thanks for the compliment on the forum. You're right, and all the members here should be very proud of how this place is developing. I have an RSX-S also so I am on the clubrsx boards all the time too. What a world of difference! RDX REX can back me up on that. There is lot of useful info on their boards as well but you have to weed through tons of useless info to get what you want. This RDX forum is much more to the point, but still has that relaxed atmosphere where anyone can throw out any comments they want.

Quick Reply: RDX Jan. sales 1798 units vs 2447 in December; Bigger Discounts are coming !