RDX Competition?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 98AccordEx
More speculation on the RAV4 from Car & Driver...
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....ticle_id=10047

The fourth-generation RAV4 is larger and more powerful than its predecessors. The smallest of Toyota�s cadre of SUVs offers three rows of seating for the first time and will likely be offered in a hybrid version. Rumor has it that the 3.5-liter V-6 from the recently introduced Lexus IS350 will be offered which should be good for at least 300

with possibility of 300 HP it sounds like a more performance oriented Lexus version should be expected, possible called the 'IX300'? Hopefully they changed the styling from these pictures of the RAV4, I liked the look of the old one better although it didn't offer enough room.
HO-LY!

This segment of "small SUV's" is going nuts. I'm like a kid in a candy store.
Bad thing is that the releases are staggered, so you can literally buy on this month, and have a "better" one launch in 6 months. Fun Fun
Old 09-08-2005, 10:44 PM
Intermediate

RAV4 over an RDX? can u even compare the two? if lex was to create a rav4 clone then yeah, but if you were to shop for a rav4 then you compare it to a CRV. need i remind you that the first three letters of Toyota are Toy...

and the CX7 is going to be pretty big, the replacement lincoln aviator is going to be its clone, along with a ford badge on that chassis. ford - yuck.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:51 AM
Racer

Hey, if Toyota can give me a slightly bigger, 300hp Rav4 with luxury/premium trimmings (you know they're going to have a Limited version, and we can tell from the pictures already that it's got dual zone climate control, which means a noticeable step up in features from the current gen) and somewhat sporty handling (for an SUV), I'd take it regardless of the badge on the front.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:59 AM
Pro

It seems if Toyota may be overlapping their models more so then before. If, if, the RAV 4 does get a 300hp option then what of the Highlander which is suppose to be the step up model. Will it move into the RX territory the way the Avalon and ES overlap but each are targeted to different buyers.

Personnally, I'd take the Lexus if priced the same as a Toyota any day. Better service, nicer sales consultants, better warrenty, and not to mention saying you drive a Lexus as oppose to saying "I drive a Toyota".
Old 09-09-2005, 11:09 AM
Pro

I can see the RAV4 getting the new 3.5 if and only if the Camry gets it which is possible since the next ES will be called 350. The only other V6 would be the current 3.3 and I believe it is dropped all together.

Now that the turbo rumor is back on, I'm wondering if the CRV will offer a V6 or the turbo 4.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Precision Crafted
It seems if Toyota may be overlapping their models more so then before. If, if, the RAV 4 does get a 300hp option then what of the Highlander which is suppose to be the step up model. Will it move into the RX territory the way the Avalon and ES overlap but each are targeted to different buyers.

Personnally, I'd take the Lexus if priced the same as a Toyota any day. Better service, nicer sales consultants, better warrenty, and not to mention saying you drive a Lexus as oppose to saying "I drive a Toyota".
I wouldn't expect to see the 3.5l V6 in the Rav4, only in a Lexus equivalent. Rav4 is more likely to get a 3.0l V6 and 2.4l 4cyl so it can stay competitive in mpg.

I think that the 3.5 V6 would be used/offered in the Highlander, GS350, ES350, IS350, Avalon, Camry, RX350. I share your thoughts on Toyota product overlap. I would guess the Highlander is going to grow a bit (length and width) to catch up to the Pilot with its next update (2008?). That should alleviate the overlap issue.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:59 PM
Intermediate

I hate how Honda/Acura is not releasing any info on the RDX.... GRRRRRRRRRR I checked edmunds for some news and nope... NADA.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by PROEWildfire
I hate how Honda/Acura is not releasing any info on the RDX.... GRRRRRRRRRR I checked edmunds for some news and nope... NADA.
Honda/Acura hardly tips their hand on anything. Info regarding the NSX's replacement had to be "leaked" because the current model is being put to rest in December and there are prototypes of Toyota/Lexus testing a super car. So to keep intrest up something had to be said. Now if you notice that is all that has been said. Then with in a week we hear about the possibilty of a V8 in the next RL and Ridgeline. Well, truth be told the Ridgeline and RL needs a V8 now as sale are not so hot for either of them.

The production model should make it's debut at the NAIAS in Jan and before hand this November or December something may be leaked. It all depends on how they view the RDX's place in the market compaired to the possible competition.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:33 AM
Burning Brakes

I can see the RAV4 getting the new 3.5 if and only if the Camry gets it which is possible since the next ES will be called 350. The only other V6 would be the current 3.3 and I believe it is dropped all together.

Now that the turbo rumor is back on, I'm wondering if the CRV will offer a V6 or the turbo 4.
Interestingly I read a blurb somewhere (I read too many rags to remember) that said Toyota's quickest 0-60 car next year will be...the 3.5 RAV4. I think it seems far fetched but one never knows, we are in a horsepower war like we haven't seen since the late 60s early 70s, interesting to see where it goes as gas prices explode, then again the Avalon gets 31 MPG on the highway in a 3500lb+ package.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't quite get it...of course you'd take a Lexus over a Toyota if they were priced the same...that's kinda the point, they aren't priced the same because you get Better service, nicer sales consultants, better warrenty, and not to mention saying you drive a Lexus as oppose to saying "I drive a Toyota" and more. Well, I'd buy a TL if it were priced the same as an Accord...I mean, what is Acura thinking!
Old 09-12-2005, 04:25 PM
Racer

Rav4 info up at http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/rav4/index.html

Key points:
Optional 3.5L V6 with 268 hp, 246 lb-ft
Length: 181
Wheelbase: 105.0
Width: 71.5
Height: 66.1
Towing: 3500lb. (with V6)
Audio mini-jack input (nice!)

The dimensions put it within an inch of the current gen CRV in every direction.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:15 PM
Racer

The "luxury" RSX either better have more power or at least a V-6 to compete b/c its laughable for Acura to offer ANOTHER damn 4-cylinder car. The Rav-4 OWNZ the competiton now.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:10 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by jaobrien6
Rav4 info up at http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/rav4/index.html

Key points:
Optional 3.5L V6 with 268 hp, 246 lb-ft
Length: 181
Wheelbase: 105.0
Width: 71.5
Height: 66.1
Towing: 3500lb. (with V6)
Audio mini-jack input (nice!)

The dimensions put it within an inch of the current gen CRV in every direction.
This is going to be something!!! Ford, GM, Mazda, Mitshu, and I'm afraid Honda will be up for some serious pounding especially considering the 3.5 with 268hp/ 246 lb-ft. Toyota is out for blood in this market.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:20 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by AcuraGT-3
The "luxury" RSX either better have more power or at least a V-6 to compete b/c its laughable for Acura to offer ANOTHER damn 4-cylinder car. The Rav-4 OWNZ the competiton now.
The one thing to keep in mind is the targeted market. The RAV 4 may have more power then a X3 but the later is a BMW. It may be smaller, not quite as powerful and does not offer a 3rd row but it is a BMW.

The RDX is an Acura and as of today we don't know too much about it. Yes it may not have a V6 as rumored or it may have a turbo 4 as rumored. It will not offer a 3rd row. The AWD system is SH-AWD but does it have 4WD locking mode? Don't know at this point. Acura has said it will be an urban SUV which to me means an on road performer with good handling and I'm sure with SH-AWD that will be accomplished.

With all this in mind, Acura owners are going to go after the increased (for Acura) luxuary experience. This is why I made the pervious comment of me choosing an Acura over a Honda or a Lexus over a Toyota. One name sounds better over the other and in the mind of some image is everything.

BMW owners buy the cars they do because of what it is not how great it is at everything. The G35 have more power then the 3 but the 3 will most likely out sell it. The RAV 4 is going to give then non-lux small SUV market a headache. The small lux SUV crowed, X3, RDX, M-B ? Class, Volvo ?, Saab ?, Caddy ?, and Audi Q ? will have little to fear.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:01 AM
Intermediate

As for the Germans - as big a pricks that most German engineers are, (I know, I worked with some) they know what they are doing. The Germans have some of the best quality automobiles. My mom had a 2000 BMW 540, and that car was so well built. The interior had no visible screw heads, the stitching on the leather was perfect, every brace and bracket underneath the car was neatly placed and tucked away, the engine bay of the car was beautiful, I'm getting at that BMWs are nice and thats why they have the name, you dont have to have the most powerful car to have the best car.

The Audi Q is going to be VW Toureg based - isn't that significantly larger than the RDx is going to be? As for the RAV4 - its ugly, looks like a mutated Subaru B9.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:12 AM
Racer

Opel Antara GTC Concept (from Frankfurt Auto Show)

Ok, maybe I'm stretching "competition" here since this is going to come over as the next Saturn Vue in a few years, so I don't know how luxurious it's going to be... but this is pretty hot. Too bad the 212hp twin-turbo diesel wouldn't make it over here.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103166

Old 09-13-2005, 11:24 AM
Intermediate

Its kinda like a revamped Isuzu Vehi-cross
Old 09-13-2005, 01:02 PM
Racer

I have to agree and disagree with your post.
As for the Germans - as big a pricks that most German engineers are, (I know, I worked with some) they know what they are doing. The Germans have some of the best quality automobiles. My mom had a 2000 BMW 540, and that car was so well built. The interior had no visible screw heads, the stitching on the leather was perfect, every brace and bracket underneath the car was neatly placed and tucked away, the engine bay of the car was beautiful, I'm getting at that BMWs are nice and thats why they have the name, you dont have to have the most powerful car to have the best car.
German engineers also produce a lot of mediocre quality cars over the years...Audi, Volkswagens & Mercedes are also German and have taken considerable hits for recalls and lackluster quality of the past five years. That said Honda & Acura are similar to BMW in focusing on the drivers experience in combination with engineering, quality, reliability. Focusing on HP is a Big Three thing and I think Toyota & Nissan are trying to make it the Big Five while others like Honda & BMW could care less.

The Audi Q is going to be VW Toureg based - isn't that significantly larger than the RDx is going to be? As for the RAV4 - its ugly, looks like a mutated Subaru B9.
Agreed, I think the RAV4 is less attractive now and similar to the Tribeca won't be big enough for the third row they claim it will have as an option.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:38 PM
Pro

Your thinking of the Q7. I'm refering to the smaller SUV that is in the works. I want to call it the Q5 but I'm not sure that is correct. It will be based off of VW new entry level SUV.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:06 PM
Intermediate

oh, pfft - my bad, last i heard vw was gonna make the "360" or something, to be the entry level suv from volks wagen - as of the toureg, audi still hasnt released the Q7, what makes you think the "Q5" will be able to compete? its gonna hit US Soil in like 2010 at this rate, by then the acura RDX will have been redesigned and labled in C&D top ten...
Old 09-13-2005, 11:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

I find it funny that Germans can build such good cars but wouldn't know "reliability" if it hit them in the face (except Porsche of course).
Old 09-13-2005, 11:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Opel Antara GTC Concept (from Frankfurt Auto Show)

Ok, maybe I'm stretching "competition" here since this is going to come over as the next Saturn Vue in a few years, so I don't know how luxurious it's going to be... but this is pretty hot. Too bad the 212hp twin-turbo diesel wouldn't make it over here.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103166

What if the VehiCross and the FX had a baby?
Old 09-14-2005, 08:47 AM
Pro

oh, pfft - my bad, last i heard vw was gonna make the "360" or something, to be the entry level suv from volks wagen - as of the toureg, audi still hasnt released the Q7, what makes you think the "Q5" will be able to compete? its gonna hit US Soil in like 2010 at this rate, by then the acura RDX will have been redesigned and labled in C&D top ten...
I couldn't tell you of the time tables. Volvo hasn't released much in the way of it's new entry level SUV or anyone else for that matter. I also forgot Infiniti will have the CX that will becoming. The Q7 is big and expensive but Audi (like VW has found out) will not be the "bread and butter" model. They will need a smaller and more affordable SUV.

Now development may not take too long if, if the Audi SUV is based on the Golf derived SUV. In which case Audi could appear before 2010. The RDX will be in it's MMC so Audi and others will be playing catch up.

But let us not forget, Audi does have a gift when it comes to interior design which will help them out in the market place. Acura to it's credit is on a role with interior designs as seen by the TL and RL (I'm not that big of a fan of the TSX's design).
Old 09-14-2005, 01:51 PM
Intermediate

well - what do u expect from volvo? a rebadged ford escape? or maybe a rebadged mazda CX7? and if so, the CX7 Plaform is gonna be carrying lots badges - lincoln aviator, volvo, ford, mazda, mercury, maybe even jaguar

Audis are nice, but - as of lately the new grills look like hitler mustaches and all their cars look the same, and i much prefer acura interiors to audi interiors.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:39 PM
Pro

well - what do u expect from volvo? a rebadged ford escape? or maybe a rebadged mazda CX7? and if so, the CX7 Plaform is gonna be carrying lots badges - lincoln aviator, volvo, ford, mazda, mercury, maybe even jaguar

Audis are nice, but - as of lately the new grills look like hitler mustaches and all their cars look the same, and i much prefer acura interiors to audi interiors.
From Volvo I would expect them to use the Mazda6 platform as it would cut cost on development. Also note that the Accord, TSX, TL, and RL are based on the same platform. The Ody platform is the foundation for MDX, Pilot, and Ridgeline. No the platform sharing isn't as extensive as Fords but Honda is a small company.

From the spy pics I've seen of the new S80 it look nothing like the Five-Hundred. The new S40 looks nothing like a Mazda6 and the Fusion looks nothing like either of them. Like a Pilot is different from a MDX I too expect the small Volvo SUV to be different. In the same manner I don't see the RDX being a rebadged CRV.

The new grill on Audi is, well, different to the point that no one will mistake it for anything else (except for VW which uses a similar design). All the car look a like for family unity. Acura's are moving more closely to that family look where one Acura looks like another to some degree.

You are among a few people I guess that would say you perfer Acura interiors to Audi since Audi/ VW served as a benchmark for Honda. Honda said, and I'm paraphrasing, Audi/ VW's interior designs use first class designs and materials. This is why the new Accord for example has been praised for it's interior design and use of even better materials. Where Audi as Acura bet IMO is in the tasteful use of wood trim and touches of chrome/brushed chrome here and there. As of yet I have not seen the pic of the revised MDX interior but I'd bet Audi has played an influence as they have with Acura's recent offerings.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:36 PM
Racer

I thought I remember reading that both the new S60 & small SUV from volvo (as well as the new freelander, for that matter) would both be based on a stretched version of the C1 platform, which is what the S40, Mazda 3 & Euro Focus are based on.

Ford's European brands have decided not to use the Mazda6 platform for anything.

Found it: Linky
Old 09-15-2005, 01:26 AM
Intermediate

my thoughts that acura interiors is a bit biased, but acura interiors are somehow more comfortable where as an audi interior is something i would want to wipe off every minute - but then again, im anal about car cleanliness... well, i used to be a mazda fan, but then fords influenced shined through in 99 - I still like mazdas, but i will never buy a new one.
my family has been mazda/honda forever - it started with my dads 79 civic that he bought new when he first came to the states, been mazda since then, 89 626, 92 mpv which i inherited when he bought his 2003 element, then i totaled the mpv big time with 7 peeps in it, and not one of em had a scratch on em, and i bought a 98 mpv allsport, but my next ride is gonna be a honda cuz... i like honda/acura, and the RDX is what im lookin for and now im waiting for it to be released. And i know acuras are going for the family look, but atleast its a good look - i dont like the license plates in the middle of the grill.... ewwww - audi.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:46 AM
Pro

I thought I remember reading that both the new S60 & small SUV from volvo (as well as the new freelander, for that matter) would both be based on a stretched version of the C1 platform, which is what the S40, Mazda 3 & Euro Focus are based on.

Ford's European brands have decided not to use the Mazda6 platform for anything.

Found it: Linky
Your correct! I stand corrected.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:51 AM
Pro

my thoughts that acura interiors is a bit biased, but acura interiors are somehow more comfortable where as an audi interior is something i would want to wipe off every minute - but then again, im anal about car cleanliness... well, i used to be a mazda fan, but then fords influenced shined through in 99 - I still like mazdas, but i will never buy a new one.
my family has been mazda/honda forever - it started with my dads 79 civic that he bought new when he first came to the states, been mazda since then, 89 626, 92 mpv which i inherited when he bought his 2003 element, then i totaled the mpv big time with 7 peeps in it, and not one of em had a scratch on em, and i bought a 98 mpv allsport, but my next ride is gonna be a honda cuz... i like honda/acura, and the RDX is what im lookin for and now im waiting for it to be released. And i know acuras are going for the family look, but atleast its a good look - i dont like the license plates in the middle of the grill.... ewwww - audi.

The grill is odd. VW's new GLI's application of the grill is better as there is no chrome, it is backed out and has body colored accent trim on the upper inner part. I will say that if Mitshu does follow the stylying look of their new Euro Crossover then they too will have a variation of the VW/ Audi grill.

The only non-Honda product I've had was my '93 Altima SE that I got when I graduated high school. Good looking car, fun to drive and a pain in the neck as the dealer had it more then I did. All of my other cars have been two Accords and each generation of the TL.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:07 AM
Racer

I saw the new MB B-Class at Sherway this weekend! It's great ... really fun looking car, with loads of space (well enough space anyway).

Wife is in love with it; the B200 Turbo actually. Since the second car is really going to be for her, it's basically whatever she likes. She's still liking the RAV but it waiting to see the new one. Aside from that the B-Class is her #1 pick, becuase she thinks the RDX and CX-7 would be too much car for her. No X3 for us either, one of her friends has it and she thinks it's ugly... OYE.

I also saw the new Vitara on the 400 yesterday. Kinda cute, but not my taste. The A3 is not worth it I think.

Her choices are really all over the map, so who knows. Buying is not until Spring anyway so there'll be more to look at (MLK, Saab, Infitini ... )
Old 09-21-2005, 04:07 PM
Intermediate

RDX is a compact SUV - if u were to go smaller go with a SMART Car...
Old 09-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Racer

RDX is a compact SUV - if u were to go smaller go with a SMART Car...
uhmm .... Not really ... but ok, your sarcasm is noted

Nonetheless, I got my delay notice today, my house is now delayed until March, so buying decision is pushed back to June/July timeframe.

More time to shop around and read reviews!
Old 09-22-2005, 08:45 PM
Racer

The one thing to keep in mind is the targeted market. The RAV 4 may have more power then a X3 but the later is a BMW. It may be smaller, not quite as powerful and does not offer a 3rd row but it is a BMW.

The RDX is an Acura and as of today we don't know too much about it. Yes it may not have a V6 as rumored or it may have a turbo 4 as rumored. It will not offer a 3rd row. The AWD system is SH-AWD but does it have 4WD locking mode? Don't know at this point. Acura has said it will be an urban SUV which to me means an on road performer with good handling and I'm sure with SH-AWD that will be accomplished.

With all this in mind, Acura owners are going to go after the increased (for Acura) luxuary experience. This is why I made the pervious comment of me choosing an Acura over a Honda or a Lexus over a Toyota. One name sounds better over the other and in the mind of some image is everything.

BMW owners buy the cars they do because of what it is not how great it is at everything. The G35 have more power then the 3 but the 3 will most likely out sell it. The RAV 4 is going to give then non-lux small SUV market a headache. The small lux SUV crowed, X3, RDX, M-B ? Class, Volvo ?, Saab ?, Caddy ?, and Audi Q ? will have little to fear.

What is more luxurious about an Acura? The TSX is a rebadged Accord. The TL used fake wood, its built in America and has awful quality. The RL is the only truly luxurious one, in a weird looking way.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:16 PM
Pro

What is more luxurious about an Acura? The TSX is a rebadged Accord. The TL used fake wood, its built in America and has awful quality. The RL is the only truly luxurious one, in a weird looking way.
Well the TSX is an Accord and for a while there any Lexus Sedan was a rebaded Toyota of some sort.

Yes the TL uses fake wood but it is better then most. Being built here is not such a bad thing. I guess since some BMW's and M-B's are built hear and their quality is shoddy is some spots you feel that may be due to American workers poor abilty to put something together?

To understand Acura is to understand Honda. Do some reading into the company's beliefs and you'll see Acura's problem. And if you do some digging read up on the "Committee for the Prevention of Excessive Automotive Goodness". No kidding. There was such a group with in Honda. That group caused more harm then good for both Honda and Acura products IMO.

IYO, what makes the RL more of a Luxury car???
Old 09-22-2005, 09:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,947 Likes on 14,061 Posts
Maybe I'm complacent...but, what's so cheap/awful in the quality of the TL...?

It feels fine to me and I've been in my share of German cars.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:47 AM
Intermediate

hmmm - what is luxury...

n. pl. lux·u·ries
Something inessential but conducive to pleasure and comfort.
Something expensive or hard to obtain.
Sumptuous living or surroundings: lives in luxury.
adj.
Providing luxury: a luxury car

so basically its something you dont need, but has leather seats, power to make it move and good handling, and NAVI ( i just like navigation systems, everyone should have one)

so if you want your car to give you a blowjob while using your laser guided cruise control - i take it Acura wont have that feature but I bet those crazy Germans would...
my friends got a 2004 Acura TL, the interior is nice, i like it - i dont notice anything wrong with it. and why would you use real wood in a car? plastic is so much easier to take care of as opposed to laquer...
Old 09-23-2005, 12:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hmmm...are you new to the auto industry? Acura is basically a luxury brand that competes well with other luxury brands. The TSX, TL, and RL all have top-of-their-class interiors. Yes, the TSX is a rebadged Euro Accord, so what? It's still an awesome car. And what car in the TL's class has real wood?
Old 09-23-2005, 02:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,947 Likes on 14,061 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraFan
Hmmm...are you new to the auto industry? Acura is basically a luxury brand that competes well with other luxury brands. The TSX, TL, and RL all have top-of-their-class interiors. Yes, the TSX is a rebadged Euro Accord, so what? It's still an awesome car. And what car in the TL's class has real wood?
Old 09-24-2005, 11:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by AcuraFan
Werd, agree with everything except the Jaguar X-type, MB C-class, Lexus ES330 and IS-series all use real wood. I trhink the 3-series in in that group as well.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:59 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by magneto112
Werd, agree with everything except the Jaguar X-type, MB C-class, Lexus ES330 and IS-series all use real wood. I trhink the 3-series in in that group as well.
The 3 is in that group. The only Acura to have real wood is the RL at this point and I feel it is due to cost and nothing more. I suppose if more people complained about looking at stylized plastic in stead of real wood then Acura would change. I would rather have heated and cooled seats, 8 way pwr pass seat, Keyless access, rear sunshade, and pwr tilt/telescoping steering wheel before having real wood. But, that is just me.

Quick Reply: RDX Competition?