Is the RDX Care Package worth its cost?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006 | 12:28 AM
Advanced

Is the RDX Care Package worth its cost?

Hi all - I just bought an RDX (tech) but won't pick it up until Wed., so I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me the recommended maintenance schedule.

The thing is, my Acura dealer offered me a '$500 RDX Care Package' for $300. That one-time payment covers all scheduled oil & filter changes and tire rotations over 48 mo./48K mi. (5K mi. intervals), so I'm trying to figure out whether or not that's a good deal.

Thanks for any feedback
Old 12-19-2006 | 12:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pvsurfer
Hi all - I just bought an RDX (tech) but won't pick it up until Wed., so I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me the recommended maintenance schedule.

The thing is, my Acura dealer offered me a '$500 RDX Care Package' for $300. That one-time payment covers all scheduled oil & filter changes and tire rotations over 48 mo./48K mi. (5K mi. intervals), so I'm trying to figure out whether or not that's a good deal.

Thanks for any feedback
You can look here for discussion on maintenance schedule. Basically there is no set schedule. It depends on how you drive and conditions. And no tune ups till 110k. But for $300, it sounds like it would be worth it just for oil changes alone if you get your service done at an acura dealer anyway...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617

Congrats on the purchase!
Old 12-19-2006 | 12:58 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sasair
You can look here for discussion on maintenance schedule. Basically there is no set schedule. It depends on how you drive and conditions. And no tune ups till 110k. But for $300, it sounds like it would be worth it just for oil changes alone if you get your service done at an acura dealer anyway...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617

Congrats on the purchase!
Thanks for the reply and the congrats! My salesman told me that since the RDX uses Mobil 1, it wouldn't take too many oil + filter changes to add up to the $300.
Old 12-19-2006 | 07:42 AM
rdxsteverino

Originally Posted by pvsurfer
Thanks for the reply and the congrats! My salesman told me that since the RDX uses Mobil 1, it wouldn't take too many oil + filter changes to add up to the $300.
See the Oil Change thread below for more discussion on this topic, but $300 seems like a good deal. Mobile 1 is about $5 to $6 per quart (depending on bulk vs. quart bottle purchase), oil filter is about $6 and if you have the change done (vs. DIY) another $20 - $30 bringing the service to about $50 - $60. Only takes about 5 - 6 oil changes to reach $300. You'd go through 5 - 6 oil changes over quite broad mileage range depending on your driving conditions, but 25K to 45K miles would be a reasonable range.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668
Old 12-19-2006 | 08:32 AM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Sounds like it might be borderline break-even to me if you follow the vehicle's service minder (which should gravitate towards nominal 7500-8000 mile intervals for normal driving. If you do go with 5000 mile intervals, then it's probably reasonable.

However, check the fine print. The only time the dealer offers stuff like this is when they will make money from it. I doubt they would offer any benefit that truly favors the customer!!

Does the RDX call for a filter every other oil change like some Acuras, or every change? This actually makes a difference in cost (primarily labor).
Old 12-19-2006 | 09:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by c_hunter
Sounds like it might be borderline break-even to me if you follow the vehicle's service minder (which should gravitate towards nominal 7500-8000 mile intervals for normal driving. If you do go with 5000 mile intervals, then it's probably reasonable.

However, check the fine print. The only time the dealer offers stuff like this is when they will make money from it. I doubt they would offer any benefit that truly favors the customer!!

Does the RDX call for a filter every other oil change like some Acuras, or every change? This actually makes a difference in cost (primarily labor).
I disagree somewhat, I think many dealers offer these packages as ways of making a sale, just like some dealers offer free oil changes for life. Where are they making money on that?

I think most people here are not making it to 7500-8000 before their first oil change is indicated. more like 4500-6000. Mine is right on pace for about 5000.

Of course alot of it is going to have to do with how much your acura dealer charges for oil changes. could be anywhere from $30-80. most likely around the $60 range.

The way they really make money on packages like this is if you move away, stop going to that dealer for some reason or are the type that doesn't get your car serviced but every 30k miles or something crazy.
Old 12-19-2006 | 04:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sasair
I disagree somewhat, I think many dealers offer these packages as ways of making a sale, just like some dealers offer free oil changes for life. Where are they making money on that?

I think most people here are not making it to 7500-8000 before their first oil change is indicated. more like 4500-6000. Mine is right on pace for about 5000.

Of course alot of it is going to have to do with how much your acura dealer charges for oil changes. could be anywhere from $30-80. most likely around the $60 range.

The way they really make money on packages like this is if you move away, stop going to that dealer for some reason or are the type that doesn't get your car serviced but every 30k miles or something crazy.
Also, when you return for the "free" service you prepaid for, you're more likely to get other, non-free work done as well. The dealer wants to entice you back!!