RDX 2010 AWD: Noise and Lag questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 03:38 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX 2010 AWD: Noise and Lag questions

Hi there,

I am looking to purchase an Acura RDX 2010 AWD with TEch Package (cannot afford the MDX right now).

When I test drove the car, there was a strange hissing noise from the engine when flooring the accelerator. It was loud enough to be noticeable. I am wondering if that is usual for the RDX, or if it was just that particular car. I do not have a car and do not want to go to the dealership again if the noise is an issue.

Also, is there a Turbo lag when the car is accelerated. I have read many comments relating to this, and just wanted to see how that impacts the driving ability.

Thank you for your help. Best wishes,

Ash
Old 03-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by AshD
Hi there,

I am looking to purchase an Acura RDX 2010 AWD with TEch Package (cannot afford the MDX right now).

When I test drove the car, there was a strange hissing noise from the engine when flooring the accelerator. It was loud enough to be noticeable. I am wondering if that is usual for the RDX, or if it was just that particular car. I do not have a car and do not want to go to the dealership again if the noise is an issue.

Also, is there a Turbo lag when the car is accelerated. I have read many comments relating to this, and just wanted to see how that impacts the driving ability.

Ash
The "strange hissing noise" you hear is normal. The RDX is a TURBO. The hissing noises are the spooling of the turbo plus the air rushing in. It's normal. Many RDX owner enjoy the sound.

Once one gets used to the RDX turbo the lag is minimal or practically gone. The RDX seems to perform better by easing into the throttle instead of just mashing the gas. It's a damn fast little CUV.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:59 PM
6th Gear

Smile

Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX
The "strange hissing noise" you hear is normal. The RDX is a TURBO. The hissing noises are the spooling of the turbo plus the air rushing in. It's normal. Many RDX owner enjoy the sound.

Once one gets used to the RDX turbo the lag is minimal or practically gone. The RDX seems to perform better by easing into the throttle instead of just mashing the gas. It's a damn fast little CUV.
Thank you Carbon2008RDX for your comments. I think that makes sense. I guess this is not a "conventional" vehicle due to the Turbo engine, and so provides a slightly different response and requires a slightly different driving style. Hopefully, this will help me make an educated decision.

Thank you again for your help.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:34 PM
not an SUV ...a Big Hatch

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts
without knowing exactly what you were hearing,

...drive it some more. if you're for the car, you'll know right away that it is for you.

Maybe drive one at a different dealer. if you still hear the same thing, and it is just in fact the slight factory turbo spool, just pay attention to the drive.

Last edited by BigHatch; 03-07-2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: text edit
Old 03-07-2010, 09:44 PM
El Chulo...

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Arrow pssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhttt!

Hi there,

I am wondering if that is usual for the RDX, or if it was just that particular car. I do not have a car and do not want to go to the dealership again if the noise is an issue.

Ash
Ash if you think that RDX you test drove was loud, you should hear mine with the cpe air intake... you can hear my turbo whistling from down the block!!!! The RDX being turbo was one of the main reasons I leased and then refinanced after my lease was over. I have enjoyed my turbo CUV for 3 full years and many more to come.

Last edited by VeNeNo; 03-07-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:58 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by VeNeNo
Ash if you think that RDX you test drove was loud, you should hear mine with the cpe air intake... you can hear my turbo whistling from down the block!!!! The RDX being turbo was one of the main reasons I leased and then refinanced after my lease was over. I have enjoyed my turbo CUV for 3 full years and many more to come.
Hi VeNeNo, That is funny. Well the thing is that if I hear a noise like that, I think the car has a problem. This is my first car, so I am probably a little more concerned. I would think that the noise cannot be good for the car, but you have not seen any reliability issues with the car / engine, have you? I am a "system" person so I would get the oil changes and maintenance as per the recommendations, but is that going to be enough?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Intermediate

to the OP, carbon's comments +1 per my own experience. i didnt find any turbo lag to be "unsafe" for normal driving conditions (knock on wood but this is no toyota).

for the hissing sound, i think it's actually cool. if you dont want it, just turn up the radio LOL. the sound system "automatically" adjusts to your speed, accdg to the owner's manual.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Hi VeNeNo, That is funny. Well the thing is that if I hear a noise like that, I think the car has a problem. This is my first car, so I am probably a little more concerned. I would think that the noise cannot be good for the car, but you have not seen any reliability issues with the car / engine, have you? I am a "system" person so I would get the oil changes and maintenance as per the recommendations, but is that going to be enough?
One good thing with Acura is their engines are rock solid! I too was a little sceptical with the reliability of the RDX engine as it is their first turbo engine. But, to date, I don't recall anyone having reliablity issues with the RDX turbo engine and it's been on the roads since fall 2006. We would have heard something by now if it has any issues. Acura (Honda) engines are awesome in the reliability/longevity department!
Old 03-08-2010, 06:33 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
u want to know what turbo lag is in a CUV - go test drive the CX-7, that will make you appreciate what Acura has gotten out of this turbo
Old 03-11-2010, 12:25 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I did find the RDX flat footed on some occasions, so I just keep it on S and put it to D only on the highways. As long as your revs aren't below 2500 rpm, turbo lag is minimal.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:04 PM
6th Gear

What does S and D mean

Originally Posted by corduroygt
I did find the RDX flat footed on some occasions, so I just keep it on S and put it to D only on the highways. As long as your revs aren't below 2500 rpm, turbo lag is minimal.
corduroygt, I am not sure I understand what D and S mean. I am sure this is a fairly basic question, but please clarify as and when you get a chance. Also, what do you mean by Flat footed?

Also, could someone please tell me what paddle shifters are? Is that like manual transmission? I feel like I am in kindergarten here.

Last edited by AshD; 03-11-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:05 PM
6th Gear

Thanks for the tips

Dear Mike, Cavium and Carbon, Thank you for your tips regarding the reliability and the turbo lag of the RDX.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
S mode = sport Mode. Transmission will shift gear at higher rpm compare to "D" mode
D mode = normal driving.

Paddle shifter = same tech for F-1 cars, you can downshift or upshift gear using this paddle.

S mode + paddle shifter = Manual Transmission.. :p
Old 03-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Originally Posted by R*D*X*
S mode = sport Mode. Transmission will shift gear at higher rpm compare to "D" mode
D mode = normal driving.

Paddle shifter = same tech for F-1 cars, you can downshift or upshift gear using this paddle.

S mode + paddle shifter = Manual Transmission.. :p
Also, in sport mode the 5th gear is NOT used. Only 1 thru 4. For highway cruising, use "D" mode for more efficiency.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Instructor

corduroygt, I am not sure I understand what D and S mean. I am sure this is a fairly basic question, but please clarify as and when you get a chance. Also, what do you mean by Flat footed?

Also, could someone please tell me what paddle shifters are? Is that like manual transmission? I feel like I am in kindergarten here.
I'm sure you've looked at your shifter or the indicator on the right side of the instrument cluster, D and S are transmission modes drive and sport, sport mode keeps the revs up longer, as well as making the paddles fully manual.

Flat footed = gas floored yet the car doesn't move right away.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Instructor

Also, in sport mode the 5th gear is NOT used. Only 1 thru 4. For highway cruising, use "D" mode for more efficiency.
Well you CAN put it in 5th manually, although I never do.