RDX '08 softer suspension (CONFIRMED)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 02:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
RDX '08 softer suspension (CONFIRMED)

Hi guys,
I'm a salesperson at a dealership. We just got our first RDX '08...

I was passenger when a porter took the car to our external lot. I can confirm that the suspension on the '08 has been "fixed"!

I love the 07's but the setup in those cars is very bumpy and tightly sprung. The result is that driving on the 10, for example, becomes a chore since the car keeps bouncing.

Now, the '08 doesn't bounce anymore. It takes the bumps on the road in a much more civil way, like a softer TL-S. It's also a little quieter, suspension-wise...

I'm pretty sure they changed the suspension because of complaints from dealerships. We lost a lot of customers due to the suspension...

It's nice to be part of this forum,

Luis

edit by Admin Ron A:

Welcome to the forums. Sorry, but I edited out your dealer info per forum guidelines.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:06 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for chiming in, but be prepared for a sh*tstorm of skepticisim and negativity coming your way. (Just a warning)

Why??

1) You didn't give a source of refer to something directly from Acura stating the suspension has been changed/revised

2) You're a car salesman

3) This is your first post

FWIW, I have no reason to doubt what you say and I hope you're correct.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:10 PM
Intermediate

1) I was in the car myself and I can feel the tinniest difference in suspension setups.

2) Yes I am. I've been doing this for 6 months now - was a QA tester (games) before. I'm a little too honest for this business and I wouldn't lie to you guys.

3) I've been reading the forum for a while. I like to see what people think of the Acuras and I also want to be up-to-date with possible problems, etc.

I'm a nice guy, believe me.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:12 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
My butt sensor tells me nothing changed between the 07 and the 08, and I've driven both for prolonged periods.

Until I see something definitive in print from Acura, I'm not believing the hype.

BTW, I bought a 08 RDX on Saturday.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:16 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
tripp,

I believe your ass sensor....

Old 07-30-2007, 02:37 PM
Intermediate

I guess my butt sensor and his butt sensor have different calibration
Old 07-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Wheelin' Dealer

You are an idiot (CONFIRMED)

As another Acura salesperson who drank the Kool-Aid on the 08 suspension getting refined as passed that info on as confirmed to the AZine community let me be the first to call

Next time try the search feature first!
Old 07-30-2007, 02:46 PM
Newbie for Life

Originally Posted by Levy
Could be a California v. Midwest thing...

Old 07-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Intermediate

In time, you'll see I was right about the suspension. Test driving the RDX day in, day out - and selling them - allows me to know the suspension pretty well.

The suspension has been re-tuned. I know that from experience. As for Acura confirming it, they would never admit that the '07 setup was a mistake since this is a new model.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
In time, you'll see I was right about the suspension. Test driving the RDX day in, day out - and selling them - allows me to know the suspension pretty well.

The suspension has been re-tuned. I know that from experience. As for Acura confirming it, they would never admit that the '07 setup was a mistake since this is a new model.
They wouldn't admit it was a mistake (I don't think it was anyway), they would say the the 08 suspension was "refined".

From my seat time, I can't tell a difference.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Newbie for Life

You've been in the car game for 6 months, my fault....you're right.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Received 1,012 Likes on 577 Posts
Hi guys,
I'm a salesperson at a dealership in Santa Monica. We just got our first RDX '08...

I was passenger when a porter took the car to our external lot. I can confirm that the suspension on the '08 has been "fixed"!

I love the 07's but the setup in those cars is very bumpy and tightly sprung. The result is that driving on the 10, for example, becomes a chore since the car keeps bouncing.

Now, the '08 doesn't bounce anymore. It takes the bumps on the road in a much more civil way, like a softer TL-S. It's also a little quieter, suspension-wise...

I'm pretty sure they changed the suspension because of complaints from dealerships. We lost a lot of customers due to the suspension...

Luis
Old 07-30-2007, 03:22 PM
RDX Tech - Bronze/Ebony

Maybe we should check with the parts department and see if there is a different part number for the struts/shocks from 2007 to 2008.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:23 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tripp11
My butt sensor tells me nothing changed between the 07 and the 08, and I've driven both for prolonged periods.

Until I see something definitive in print from Acura, I'm not believing the hype.

BTW, I bought a 08 RDX on Saturday.
Tripp....what options did you get on your 08 RDX and what was your price? Just curious as I'm getting closer and closer here. Did you lease or finance?
Old 07-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Wheelin' Dealer

Originally Posted by pmaggan
Maybe we should check with the parts department and see if there is a different part number for the struts/shocks from 2007 to 2008.
Here is where this debate gets REAL interesting:

Part numbers for the rear shocks are the same from 07-08, but part numbers for the front struts are different!!

The conspiracy continues and MAYBE I take back my apology if my top secret source was right all along!!!LOL

Seriously though, I have driven both and they feel the same to me.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:15 PM
Intermediate

Hey Luis! What's your opinon on the turbo?

Hi guys,
I'm a salesperson at a dealership. We just got our first RDX '08...

Luis

edit by Admin Ron A:

Welcome to the forums. Sorry, but I edited out your dealer info per forum guidelines.
Tell me what you think Luis.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1567

Thanks!
Jay
Old 07-30-2007, 06:20 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jcbridges
Here is where this debate gets REAL interesting:

Part numbers for the rear shocks are the same from 07-08, but part numbers for the front struts are different!!

The conspiracy continues and MAYBE I take back my apology if my top secret source was right all along!!!LOL

Seriously though, I have driven both and they feel the same to me.
Just out of curiousity, did you make sure the tire pressures were the same in both the 2007 & 2008, and if so, did you drive them back to back on the same exact roads?

Weight can also be a factor to consider....some cars ride better when loaded down with a few hundered pounds of cargo and a full tank of gas and vice versa.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
1) I'm a little too honest for this business and I wouldn't lie to you guys.

3) I've been reading the forum for a while. I like to see what people think of the Acuras and I also want to be up-to-date with possible problems, etc.

I'm a nice guy, believe me.
I'm glad that a a salesman is reading the enthusiast forums and educating himself about the product he sells. Really, that's great!

You may be the first car sales person who has a remote clue about the way automobiles function, or any knowledge at all about the specific autos he sells.

Any auto I've ever been interested in, I've researched first. An hour on the internet will yield more model specific knowledge than all the sales people on the floor have collectively.

I had to explain to my sales-person that: the RDX has a timing chain, not a belt; the chain operates the cams, not the fan; the Nav System does not have a touch screen; SH-AWD engages the rear wheels before the front wheels slip, and so on.

You are starting off right. You've chosen one of the easiest brands to sell and you are educating yourself about your product.. You'll have to study if you want to be respected by the modern educated consumer, especially Acura driving enthusiasts.

Hang in there, keep learning.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:11 PM
Intermediate

I use downtime to research Acuras in Google News, Yahoo Autos and etc (both press and user reviews). I also go to forums to make sure I know about all the bugs, problems, special character traits, etc.

The funny thing is that I had no idea how good Acuras were before I started working here. I was very ignorant about it - all I knew is that Acuras were the "luxury Hondas".
Old 07-30-2007, 09:20 PM
Intermediate

I'll add my $0.02 on this topic as I just bought a 2008 RDX tonight (CBP/Ebony Tech)...although I don't have it yet...didn't have my checkbook with me so I have to return tomorrow to pick it up. However, I did take a brief spin in it before coming home and I honestly didn't notice a much of a difference, however, its been 3 months since I've been in a 07. The good news is they gave me a 07 RDX as a loaner that I drove home so I should be in a better position to do a comparison tomorrow. It did seem more bouncy/stiff than the 08 I bought, but that could have been my imagination, tire pressure, etc..

I'll post tomorrow evening after I get home with the new car and let you know my thoughts.

Ohh...by the way, I paid $35,250 for my 08 Tech. Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow!

Rich
Old 07-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by XLR8R
I'm glad that a a salesman is reading the enthusiast forums and educating himself about the product he sells. Really, that's great!

You may be the first car sales person who has a remote clue about the way automobiles function, or any knowledge at all about the specific autos he sells.

Any auto I've ever been interested in, I've researched first. An hour on the internet will yield more model specific knowledge than all the sales people on the floor have collectively.

I had to explain to my sales-person that: the RDX has a timing chain, not a belt; the chain operates the cams, not the fan; the Nav System does not have a touch screen; SH-AWD engages the rear wheels before the front wheels slip, and so on.

You are starting off right. You've chosen one of the easiest brands to sell and you are educating yourself about your product.. You'll have to study if you want to be respected by the modern educated consumer, especially Acura driving enthusiasts.

Hang in there, keep learning.
:silvercup Now THAT was a good one XLR8R!!
Old 07-30-2007, 09:59 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
To you '08 buyers: CONGRATS and ENJOY! We hope you'll share your thoughts on differences b/w the model years.

To Levy: way to go, man! My kingdom for a knowledegeable, 'net savvy salesperson!
Old 07-30-2007, 10:05 PM
Cruisin'

It's probably more mental than physical difference. Mind over Body! Personally I think it'd be pretty stupid to soften the suspension. RDX is a crossover between a sporty car and an SUV isn't it? If that is the case, why would acura sacrifice the sportiness for comfort when buyers are interested in the "crossover" nature to begin with? just my 2c though. everyone thinks differently and i'm probably an outlier in the crossover world
Old 07-30-2007, 10:08 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Patton
I'll add my $0.02 on this topic as I just bought a 2008 RDX tonight (CBP/Ebony Tech)...although I don't have it yet...didn't have my checkbook with me so I have to return tomorrow to pick it up. However, I did take a brief spin in it before coming home and I honestly didn't notice a much of a difference, however, its been 3 months since I've been in a 07. The good news is they gave me a 07 RDX as a loaner that I drove home so I should be in a better position to do a comparison tomorrow. It did seem more bouncy/stiff than the 08 I bought, but that could have been my imagination, tire pressure, etc..

I'll post tomorrow evening after I get home with the new car and let you know my thoughts.

Ohh...by the way, I paid $35,250 for my 08 Tech. Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow!

Rich
that sounds like a great deal. where you buying it?
Old 07-31-2007, 12:45 AM
Intermediate

Extra detail - comparison against late-production '07

Things get even weirder now. Two days ago, I almost sold a very late RDX Tech '07, but the customer (a girl) blew out of finance. Well, we kept the car around and today I got to drive it to the external lot (which we call "airport lot" because it's close to an airport).

Now, this is a very late RDX. We got it one or two weeks ago, after having absolutely no stock for a month and a half. I drove it to the airport then drove back... And noticed that the suspension setup is the same as the '08.

So there it is: in my opinion late '07s have the same setup as the '08. The car didn't bounce and didn't vibrate. It felt very different from our Demo unit, which is a VERY EARLY '07.

At first I didn't even notice it, but then I kept thinking "How come this is so smooth?" That's when it dawned on me, that I was driving one of the last '07s.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:02 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by baboola
that sounds like a great deal. where you buying it?
Pohanka Acura in Chantilly...I probably could have gotten it a bit cheaper, but I felt that about $900 over invoice was more than reasonable for a 2008 that just came off the truck a few hours earlier...it was the first 2008 RDX they have sold. :-)
Old 07-31-2007, 06:17 AM
Intermediate

Things get even weirder now. Two days ago, I almost sold a very late RDX Tech '07, but the customer (a girl) blew out of finance. Well, we kept the car around and today I got to drive it to the external lot (which we call "airport lot" because it's close to an airport).

Now, this is a very late RDX. We got it one or two weeks ago, after having absolutely no stock for a month and a half. I drove it to the airport then drove back... And noticed that the suspension setup is the same as the '08.

So there it is: in my opinion late '07s have the same setup as the '08. The car didn't bounce and didn't vibrate. It felt very different from our Demo unit, which is a VERY EARLY '07.

At first I didn't even notice it, but then I kept thinking "How come this is so smooth?" That's when it dawned on me, that I was driving one of the last '07s.
Hmm...so maybe there was some sort of suspension adjustment mid model year 07 as some have claimed? The 07 demo RDX that I'm driving now until my 08 is ready to be picked up later today looks to be about mid-year...VIN is in the 9000 range. I only had a 5 minute drive in the 08 I purchased, but it seemed to feel less bouncy than the demo I have...but I should have a good basis for comparison when I get the 08 as I will have driven the 07 about 75 miles before I turn it back in.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:04 AM
Pro

Hmm...so maybe there was some sort of suspension adjustment mid model year 07 as some have claimed? The 07 demo RDX that I'm driving now until my 08 is ready to be picked up later today looks to be about mid-year...VIN is in the 9000 range. I only had a 5 minute drive in the 08 I purchased, but it seemed to feel less bouncy than the demo I have...but I should have a good basis for comparison when I get the 08 as I will have driven the 07 about 75 miles before I turn it back in.
Patton - When I purchase an '07 what's the best way to verify it was manufactured mid year? Is it the VIN being 9000+ or is there an easy way to find out? What does it mean when the VIN is 9000 and not some other number?

Thanks,
paul
Old 07-31-2007, 09:19 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by phoward_15
Patton - When I purchase an '07 what's the best way to verify it was manufactured mid year? Is it the VIN being 9000+ or is there an easy way to find out? What does it mean when the VIN is 9000 and not some other number?

Thanks,
paul
To quote a Jan. 07 post: ..."there should be a metal plate attached underneath the front of your windshield toward where the dash meets the windshield...should be on driver's side. That's your VIN = Vehicle Identification Number. The last five digits are what you want to look at; for example, if those numbers are 03811, this tells you your car was the 3,811th RDX manufactured in the 2007 model year."
Old 07-31-2007, 09:58 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chipt911
To quote a Jan. 07 post: ..."there should be a metal plate attached underneath the front of your windshield toward where the dash meets the windshield...should be on driver's side. That's your VIN = Vehicle Identification Number. The last five digits are what you want to look at; for example, if those numbers are 03811, this tells you your car was the 3,811th RDX manufactured in the 2007 model year."
That's what I understood as well...and since I believe there were about 25,000 or so RDX produced in 2007, I figured 9000 was a early-mid production vehicle in 2007.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by chipt911
Excellent. Thanks guys!

Is it a bad thing if part of the VIN # is scratched off? The sales person said no.....JUST KIDDING! JUST KIDDING!

I'll be sure to look for at least a 10000.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:40 AM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mine is in the 15xxx range, and I got it at the start of January. Hope that helps. I would also call 9xxx an early model. Not that it matters too much; I think they had most if not all the bugs ironed out by about 9 or 10k in the run. There were a few stereo and batt issues early on as I recall.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:17 AM
Instructor

you can also find your manufactured date on the sticker on the inside of the driver's side door.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:04 PM
Intermediate

Just got back to the office with my 2008 and compared to the 07 I had as a loaner, there is a definite difference in the suspension (IMHO). I don't perceive it as huge, but in the 07 I felt like I felt every little bump and felt like I was bouncing along....not in this car....its still stiff, but smaller bumps are now absorbed MUCH better. Could have been tire pressure for sure as I didn't check the tire pressure on the loaner...but there was a definite difference in my mind between the two.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:12 PM
Pro

...and the saga continues.

Anybody have any contacts at Acura? I want a definitive answer already!

FWIW, our family owned a 2002 Civic EX Coupe, and I remember reading in a major automotive publication (MotorTrend I believe), that Honda revised the suspension tuning due to complaints on the 2001 model from customers and in the automotive press. I never was able to find anything in writing from Honda NA stating that changes were made to the suspension. My point being.....I guess it's possible Acura did make some slight changes/revisions, but doesn't want to advertise it and potentially piss off 2007 RDX owners.

One has to wonder how the 2008 RDX would have fared in C&D's recent comparison test. The RDX's stiff ride was pretty much their only gripe.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:16 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

....ok. wHAT EXACTLY DO YOU CALL "EARLY" PRODUCTION VS "LATE Production? I'm curious!
Old 07-31-2007, 09:13 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jwaters943
...and the saga continues.

My point being.....I guess it's possible Acura did make some slight changes/revisions, but doesn't want to advertise it and potentially piss off 2007 RDX owners.

One has to wonder how the 2008 RDX would have fared in C&D's recent comparison test. The RDX's stiff ride was pretty much their only gripe.
I think you are right there.

IF there is a suspension softening as some auto mags have alluded to (late 07 models) Acura probably will not acknowledge it in a very public way until all of the stiffer sprung vehicles are sold. Then they will announce the "improvement".

I'm glad I got the first gen!
Old 07-31-2007, 09:19 PM
Intermediate

Okay. Early production is stock number 07007, our demo unit. Late production is 07494. So roughly 500 cars for our dealership alone.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:26 PM
Safety Car

Acura probably will not acknowledge it in a very public way until all of the stiffer sprung vehicles are sold. Then they will announce the "improvement".

I'm glad I got the first gen!
The original springs will probably be offered as a "sport package" a la BMW X-3.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:55 PM
Cruisin'

The original springs will probably be offered as a "sport package" a la BMW X-3.
if that's the case i'm going to light fireworks and celebrate and laugh at all the '08 owners

Quick Reply: RDX '08 softer suspension (CONFIRMED)