Questions on Headlight Bulb Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 02:14 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Questions on Headlight Bulb Replacement

This is for an 07 RDX. Have a pink headlight on the driver side so have been reading up on low beam bulb replacement. Planning to do both sides at the same time. Dealer wants $600 to do both.

1) for those who have done this, I have watched a video of doing it via the top although many talk of removing the bumper etc…does removing the bumper make it that much easier to do this? It seems the passenger side is more difficult for access.

2) D2S bulbs are what I’m after. But sticking with Phillips or Osram is proving difficult where I am in Canada (prices are ridiculous). So any Canadian suppliers people know of? And as for what exactly to get, I read stock is 4300K, but many suggest going to 5000K or 5500K. I can’t seem to find any 5500, so is there that much improvement in visibility in going to 5000K?

Any other suggestions?
Old 01-27-2023, 06:26 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Rustyrock
This is for an 07 RDX. Have a pink headlight on the driver side so have been reading up on low beam bulb replacement. Planning to do both sides at the same time. Dealer wants $600 to do both.

1) for those who have done this, I have watched a video of doing it via the top although many talk of removing the bumper etc…does removing the bumper make it that much easier to do this? It seems the passenger side is more difficult for access.

2) D2S bulbs are what I’m after. But sticking with Phillips or Osram is proving difficult where I am in Canada (prices are ridiculous). So any Canadian suppliers people know of? And as for what exactly to get, I read stock is 4300K, but many suggest going to 5000K or 5500K. I can’t seem to find any 5500, so is there that much improvement in visibility in going to 5000K?

Any other suggestions?
I would recommend removing the bumper for easier installation. You can buy from prolightz.com or winnipeghid.ca as they are canada based companies. I would recommend going with osram cbi d2s or cbb d2s. I bought my osram Cbb d2s from ebay, i was able to verify the authenticity using osram website. i bought my bulbs from this guy, he ships from UK: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/323318615097...58da%7Ciid%3A1

or for CBI D2s (shipped from Lithuania): https://www.ebay.ca/itm/254278657055...58da%7Ciid%3A1

As i said before you should always do autheticity check on osram's website upon receiving the bulbs.

Last edited by deepa1600; 01-27-2023 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-28-2023, 01:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 175 Posts

Any other suggestions?
My hands were not small enough to wriggle into the space behind the light fixture. I removed the front bumper cover and headlights to replace the bulbs.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:47 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by DaIll1
My hands were not small enough to wriggle into the space behind the light fixture. I removed the front bumper cover and headlights to replace the bulbs.
I agree with bumper cover removal also , it will make bulb replacement so much easier. Downside, you just might need a few two part clips to reinstall cover. By my experience the ones installed upside down do not survive removal due to grit accumulation. These can be had anywhere for a whole lot less than any stealership too.
Secondly, use caution where bumper mounts to fenders, tiny locks can tear loose from cover by the “heavy” handed , believe me , I’ve seen it way to many times .
Old 01-30-2023, 09:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 242 Likes on 211 Posts
If you're worried about the front bumper removal, it is quick and painless with only a handful of screws and plastic push-clips holding it on. Not nearly the project it might sound like on paper, and it will make access to the rest of the stuff much easier.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chopperpilot
I agree with bumper cover removal also , it will make bulb replacement so much easier. Downside, you just might need a few two part clips to reinstall cover. By my experience the ones installed upside down do not survive removal due to grit accumulation. These can be had anywhere for a whole lot less than any stealership too.
Secondly, use caution where bumper mounts to fenders, tiny locks can tear loose from cover by the “heavy” handed , believe me , I’ve seen it way to many times .
I spray clips with WD40, works more often than not
Old 01-31-2023, 02:00 PM
10th Gear

Now you’re scaring me a bit with clips tearing…so just to be clear, the idea with the bumper removal is to remove the entire headlight so it’s easier to access the bulb? I’ve read some posts of people going through the wheel well.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:05 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Yes , removing the headlights is way easier and a whole lot less hassle replacing this one HID bulb , the other bulbs , not so much . The “locks” I mentioned are between fender and cover . The bumper cover “locks” (snaps) onto fender bracket . It’s really not a big deal. You’ll see this clamping design once you start pulling cover from the wheel well side of the cover .
Two part fasteners..you decide .
I’ve replaced many a HID assemblies which includes the igniter in the bodshop business, it’s like building a ship in a bottle for NO money !
Good Luck !
Old 02-01-2023, 09:39 AM
10th Gear

Yes , removing the headlights is way easier and a whole lot less hassle replacing this one HID bulb , the other bulbs , not so much . The “locks” I mentioned are between fender and cover . The bumper cover “locks” (snaps) onto fender bracket . It’s really not a big deal. You’ll see this clamping design once you start pulling cover from the wheel well side of the cover .
Two part fasteners..you decide .
I’ve replaced many a HID assemblies which includes the igniter in the bodshop business, it’s like building a ship in a bottle for NO money !
Good Luck !
Thanks. Just waiting for some decent weather to get at this. I have to do this outside and it’s borderline freezing and rainy. Plastic clips will be prone to snapping so I bought some backups
Old 02-01-2023, 12:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks. Just waiting for some decent weather to get at this. I have to do this outside and it’s borderline freezing and rainy. Plastic clips will be prone to snapping so I bought some backups
If you are doing this in frigid weather, I'd suggest warming the bumper to fender clip area with a hair drier to prevent breakage, along with hitting them with WD40. Frozen plastic is very brittle.
The following users liked this post:
Chopperpilot (02-01-2023)