Plausible Explanation on Rear View Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Lightbulb Plausible Explanation on Rear View Mirror

So I test drove the MDX & noticed that there was no auto dimming rear view mirror & asked about it: the salesman said that bc the MDX & RDX are so high, Acura decided that this feature was not as necessary as it is on the cars & therefore left as an option.

This seems plausible to me -- but what if there is another SUV/truck behind u -- would that make it equally high & therefore giving reason to have the mirror?

Thoughts?

On a side note: any reason why there is no MDX forum?
Old 01-02-2007, 08:49 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My thoughts are that I put car salesmen right up there with politicians when it comes to creative "truthiness". Apologies to Steven Colbert.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:17 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TSX69
So I test drove the MDX & noticed that there was no auto dimming rear view mirror & asked about it: the salesman said that bc the MDX & RDX are so high, Acura decided that this feature was not as necessary as it is on the cars & therefore left as an option.

This seems plausible to me -- but what if there is another SUV/truck behind u -- would that make it equally high & therefore giving reason to have the mirror?

Thoughts?

While it certainly sounds like nothing more than sales man snake oil, I have to admit, I have never had cause to flip the mirror in my RDX due to bright lights.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dennarda
While it certainly sounds like nothing more than sales man snake oil, I have to admit, I have never had cause to flip the mirror in my RDX due to bright lights.
The 20% tint might have something to do with it. But I continually have to flip my mirror down.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:43 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thoughts?

I do have to flip my mirror down sometimes, so I got the Auto_dimming mirror for Christmas! As far as an MDX forum, the owners of this "Acurazine" decided not to compete with the likes of www.acuramdx.org!
Old 01-02-2007, 09:53 PM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

Originally Posted by Lrpba300
I do have to flip my mirror down sometimes, so I got the Auto_dimming mirror for Christmas! As far as an MDX forum, the owners of this "Acurazine" decided not to compete with the likes of www.acuramdx.org!
Have you installed yet?

I have not gotten around to ordering it yet. Once you've had one, it's hard to not have and auto dim...

Old 01-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Advanced

also, keep in mind girls, that this being it's inception year, things like autodimming mirrors will become standard equipment on future model years. this is the price to pay for being the early adoptors.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I love the autodimming mirror. Once you're used to it, you really like having it. When I bought it, I thought it was overpriced, but now I'm glad I got it.

edit: I really missed not having it there for the first couple weeks before I got it installed.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:40 PM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

Originally Posted by sasair
I love the autodimming mirror. Once you're used to it, you really like having it. When I bought it, I thought it was overpriced, but now I'm glad I got it.

edit: I really missed not having it there for the first couple weeks before I got it installed.
Thanks. I'm ordering right now.

Now............If I could only find better trailer hitch pics......
Old 01-03-2007, 01:28 AM
Missin my TSX =(

yea i figured the car didnt come with it cuz of the tinted rear window... but i couldnt not have have it cuz it was there on my tsx... so nice n i got used to it...
Old 01-03-2007, 06:51 AM
Instructor

Try Acuramdx.org
Old 01-03-2007, 11:18 AM
Intermediate

I didn't get the autodimming rearview b/c people told me that they felt that it impaired them being able to notice how close/far vehicles were behind them and that in their experience with infiniti they actually turned their's off. Does anyone else think this way? Or did I miss out and should therefore consider this as an add on?
Old 01-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ddrn
I didn't get the autodimming rearview b/c people told me that they felt that it impaired them being able to notice how close/far vehicles were behind them and that in their experience with infiniti they actually turned their's off. Does anyone else think this way? Or did I miss out and should therefore consider this as an add on?
I've got one in my 04 TL and I use it every day/night. I find no problem with being able to determine how close/far vehicles are behind me with the autodim mirror.

If and when I get my RDX, I will order one via the web and install myself.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:25 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tripp11
I've got one in my 04 TL and I use it every day/night. I find no problem with being able to determine how close/far vehicles are behind me with the autodim mirror.

If and when I get my RDX, I will order one via the web and install myself.
Hmm - good to know - it seems a lot of people on this forum really like this feature. Its def something I'm going to consider. Is it a quick self install or something that one with not so much experience should leave to a pro!?!
Old 01-03-2007, 11:35 AM
Missin my TSX =(

ive never had a prob.. if they have probs then they must be noobs haha
Old 01-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm - good to know - it seems a lot of people on this forum really like this feature. Its def something I'm going to consider. Is it a quick self install or something that one with not so much experience should leave to a pro!?!
Simple install. I believe Sasair on this forum has done this and also scanned/posted the instructions for those to view. Search under his name for his posts and you should find his post.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Very easy install, 30 mins tops. The instructions that acura has are very detailed and thought out. If you can follow directions, you can do almost any install on the RDX. The only things I wouldn't attempt if I were not mechanically inclined might be the roof rack, trailer hitch, running boards, backup sensors, rear diffuser and front lip. There are several people here that have done all these installs though. I'd trust myself to do these installs more than my dealer, but that's just me. Some people would rather have someone else to hold accountable in case something goes wrong. All these things are bolt on though, but the roof rack does involve a hack saw... The rear diffuser surprised me how complicated the install is. Looks like something you could just stick on or snap on, but you have to remove the rear bumper cover, and drill a bunch of holes.

Oh by the way, the thing I posted up wasn't the installation instructions, but the calibration instructions after it is installed. The installation instructions are posted on the vendor websites though if you want to read them before purchasing.

I too haven't had any problems with depth perception with the auto mirror.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i agree, auto dimming mirror is a must. i couldn't live without it at night. also, don't forget the handy compass for those of us that have no sense of direction (even with a nav!). i highly recommend this option. btw, i got it thrown into the deal (it was my last bargaining chip).
Old 01-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Sporty X type

Originally Posted by F.Rizzo
Thanks. I'm ordering right now.

Now............If I could only find better trailer hitch pics......
No, not yet. But as Sasair said, he really missed not having it on. So do I. I'll put it on this week-end or next. It doesn't look tough if you don't disconnect the battery.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Lrpba300
No, not yet. But as Sasair said, he really missed not having it on. So do I. I'll put it on this week-end or next. It doesn't look tough if you don't disconnect the battery.
Even if you do disconnect the battery its still easy. just have to makes sure you write you radio presets down, and make sure you have your radio and nav codes available. Just a pain to reprogram all that if you have all your stations filled up. AM/FM/XM=lots of presets. It's really unecessary to disconnect the battery on the mirror install though.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Cruisin'

Thoughts?

I actually think this is a very valid reason, although cost no doubt has something to do with it.

My Boxster is a very low car without a tinted rear window (in fact without a glass rear window). Driving it at night in traffic, I REALLY notice the bright lights behind me and always have to flip the mirror. In the RDX I have rarely felt the need, and usually, yes, when there is another tall vehicle behind me with bright headlights.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Sporty X type

Originally Posted by sasair
Even if you do disconnect the battery its still easy. just have to makes sure you write you radio presets down, and make sure you have your radio and nav codes available. Just a pain to reprogram all that if you have all your stations filled up. AM/FM/XM=lots of presets. It's really unecessary to disconnect the battery on the mirror install though.
Thanks Sasair. I'll try it w/o disconnecting the battery.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:19 PM
Sporty X type

...as I posted in another thread. got it installed. Very easy & works great Love the compass reading in the mirror is cool!
Old 01-17-2007, 12:21 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Originally Posted by Fishbulb
My thoughts are that I put car salesmen right up there with politicians when it comes to creative "truthiness". Apologies to Steven Colbert.
Funny, I'd say that about customers.

Maybe you could just be fair and say people don't like to admit "I don't know."
Old 01-17-2007, 09:21 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CL6
Funny, I'd say that about customers.

Maybe you could just be fair and say people don't like to admit "I don't know."
because they fear getting screwed.

Dealers have set things up as a very adversarial process, which is not the same thing as even when you buy a house. As a result, signallign and posturing matters, and customers must be leary of causing themselves to appear as suckers because even if the perception isn't true, dealers may decide to treat the customer as a sucker and waste his or her time.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:07 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

There is more info available about car buying than house buying. You are much more likely to get screwed buying a house and your agent will make a ton of money on your no matter what. I get lied to all the time whether it is 'I'll be there in an hour' to 'I was told my car is worth $XX,XXX.'

My point was simply that nobody is an angel necessarily.

Originally Posted by mvwood
because they fear getting screwed.

Dealers have set things up as a very adversarial process, which is not the same thing as even when you buy a house. As a result, signallign and posturing matters, and customers must be leary of causing themselves to appear as suckers because even if the perception isn't true, dealers may decide to treat the customer as a sucker and waste his or her time.