paint mismatch on bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 08:36 AM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paint mismatch on bumpers

Has anyone else noticed that all RDX colors have a notable mismatch between the front/rear bumper fascias and the metal body? I have noticed it on silver and white RDXs over the last couple months of shopping -- the bumpers have a slight yellow tint. This morning I was at the dealer scoping out other color choices and noticed that almost ALL of the colors have some degree of mismatch. Black was the only one that didn't show it.

I wonder if this is a first year thing that will be corrected, or a general problem? We have a silver TSX that does not have a visible mismatch, nor does my silverstone (gray metallic) S2000. I know it is not unheard of in the industry, and my gold Subaru wagon has a slight mismatch so I have lived with it. But the RDX mismatch is fairly noticeable, especially since the bumper fascias are so big. This is kind of annoying -- I was ready to buy this morning....
Old 11-15-2006, 08:45 AM
Loud Howard

I have the ASP RDX and I don't notice too much difference other than in a certain type of light and even then it's not that bad. The worst I have seen was the with CBP, but that was only one and it was in bright sun. The other CBP I saw was at night and I didn't notice much difference. The blue one I didn't see much difference as well, a little in the red but nothing major.

The only explanation I can think of is if they are making the bumpers out of a material similar to that of a Saturn body panel (as they claim it's chip/dent/scratch/everything proof) then I could see them having to mix in color with the material and thereby making it very hard to match exactly.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by c_hunter
Has anyone else noticed that all RDX colors have a notable mismatch between the front/rear bumper fascias and the metal body? I have noticed it on silver and white RDXs over the last couple months of shopping -- the bumpers have a slight yellow tint. This morning I was at the dealer scoping out other color choices and noticed that almost ALL of the colors have some degree of mismatch. Black was the only one that didn't show it.

I wonder if this is a first year thing that will be corrected, or a general problem? We have a silver TSX that does not have a visible mismatch, nor does my silverstone (gray metallic) S2000. I know it is not unheard of in the industry, and my gold Subaru wagon has a slight mismatch so I have lived with it. But the RDX mismatch is fairly noticeable, especially since the bumper fascias are so big. This is kind of annoying -- I was ready to buy this morning....
I have brought this issue up some time ago somewhere in this forum. My white one is quite noticable also but I did not break the deal because of that. I do not really understand why such a mismatch. I have 2006 Element and that dose not show any such problem at metal/plastic area., none whatsoever. With all the technology we have nowdays, it is just beyond me to have $40K car with such an obvious color difference. There should not any excuse, IMO.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:04 AM
Missin my TSX =(

the only difference i see is the oem front lip and the rest of the car... major diff... but i think its settling in right now...oh and i have the silver rdx
Old 11-15-2006, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by gomboy60
I have brought this issue up some time ago somewhere in this forum. My white one is quite noticable also but I did not break the deal because of that. I do not really understand why such a mismatch. I have 2006 Element and that dose not show any such problem at metal/plastic area., none whatsoever. With all the technology we have nowdays, it is just beyond me to have $40K car with such an obvious color difference. There should not any excuse, IMO.

Yeah, that's how I feel too. Honda already knows how to match paint across different materials because our other Hondas are fine. I feel like the mismatch on the RDX is abnormal.

I wonder if they would improve this in the future. For instance, my 05 Subaru wagon has a slight gold paint mismatch between metal and plastic parts (door handles, bumpers, bodyside trim). It is not nearly as bad as the RDX, but still noticeable in certain light. For 06 and 07 models, the problem went away with that gold color. I assume Subaru somehow got better matching the gold paint after that first model year. In the case of that vehicle, only the gold color was affected.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:47 PM
Instructor

Yeah, that's how I feel too. Honda already knows how to match paint across different materials because our other Hondas are fine. I feel like the mismatch on the RDX is abnormal.

I wonder if they would improve this in the future. For instance, my 05 Subaru wagon has a slight gold paint mismatch between metal and plastic parts (door handles, bumpers, bodyside trim). It is not nearly as bad as the RDX, but still noticeable in certain light. For 06 and 07 models, the problem went away with that gold color. I assume Subaru somehow got better matching the gold paint after that first model year. In the case of that vehicle, only the gold color was affected.
nope, look at TL's, you will see the exact same mismatch. It may be accentuated on the RDX because of the larger rear bumper.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:20 PM
Photographer

i have a white rdx and there is a noticeable color difference between the bumpers.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by DNPhotography
i have a white rdx and there is a noticeable color difference between the bumpers.
Hey guys, there was a similar discussion on this last month:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...t=bumper+color

I agree though, from all the ones I'd seen when shopping around, the difference between bumper and body seem most noticeable on the white RDXs.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:32 AM
Photographer

can we complain to honda of america and maybe get it repainted?
Old 11-16-2006, 06:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DNPhotography
You can see the difference in the pictures you posted. almost looks like the plastics don't have the same shine that the metal parts do.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:16 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by omgacuralol
nope, look at TL's, you will see the exact same mismatch. It may be accentuated on the RDX because of the larger rear bumper.
I agree, TLs show this problem of slight mismatch....Dealer here told me it was the different materials....TSX does not seem to show it....??? Do not repaint! Not that noticable after you have had the car for a while....first door ding etc...will take your mind off it....
Old 11-16-2006, 09:56 AM

Yeah, definitley don't repaint. You will never get a good repaint on plastic parts compared to the factory paint -- at some point the repaint will show its inferiority, even if it's 3-5 years later. Even with the proper flex additives, aftermarket paint is not nearly as elastic as factory paint and will not hold up as well to minor damage.

I would not recommend a repaint for the color-match problem. About the only thing to do is choose a color that shows it less. Or not buy an RDX until they fix the problem.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah, definitley don't repaint. You will never get a good repaint on plastic parts compared to the factory paint -- at some point the repaint will show its inferiority, even if it's 3-5 years later. Even with the proper flex additives, aftermarket paint is not nearly as elastic as factory paint and will not hold up as well to minor damage.

I would not recommend a repaint for the color-match problem. About the only thing to do is choose a color that shows it less. Or not buy an RDX until they fix the problem.
Then how's about they repaint the car to match the bumper?

LL
Old 11-16-2006, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by lland
Then how's about they repaint the car to match the bumper?

LL

I wouldn't want any repainting done on a new car -- it would never be as good as factory paint in terms of overall quality (the finish may be better on a good aftermarket paint job in some cases, but in every other respect a factory paint job is better, especially in terms of bonding, sealing, coverage, etc).
Old 11-16-2006, 12:18 PM
Advanced

mismatch happens a lot on other cars too for some reason, but it really is noticable on the rdx light colors