Paddle shifters.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 08:39 PM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Paddle shifters.

To complement the all-aluminum high-performance engine, the RDX utilizes Acura's steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters to manually operate the 5-speed sequential SportShift(TM) automatic transmission.

Of course, this is all speculation but is the RDX going to be the same transmission from the TSX and TL or will it be different. If so, how quick are the shifts? Is there much of a noticeable delay? One of my hang-ups is trading in my 6mt for a 5at. If they are going to put F1 style paddles then I want F1 shifting.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:21 AM
My name is RL.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by batman
To complement the all-aluminum high-performance engine, the RDX utilizes Acura's steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters to manually operate the 5-speed sequential SportShift(TM) automatic transmission.

Of course, this is all speculation but is the RDX going to be the same transmission from the TSX and TL or will it be different. If so, how quick are the shifts? Is there much of a noticeable delay? One of my hang-ups is trading in my 6mt for a 5at. If they are going to put F1 style paddles then I want F1 shifting.
It is closest to the transmission in the RL. My guess is it will be pretty much the same transmission. The paddle shifters on the RL are responsive and the shifts are very smooth. It sometimes hesitates when shifting from 3rd to 2nd because your RPMs are too high and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd if you run it up to the redline in 2nd. This is mainly because of the way the thing is geared, I suspect. If you turn the VSA off, the shifting becomes more pronounced in full auto. It hangs onto the gears a little longer. Using the paddles with VSA off makes 1st through 3rd a real joy. I use the paddles on the twisties and the hairpins all the time and it is very satisfying.

The RDX looks like it would be fun as hell to drive with the paddles. IMO, it's not like stirring the pot in a 6-speed manual but it is fun enough. I'm sure I'll test drive the RDX just for the heck of it.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:21 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can only comment on the RL as it is the only car I have driven with the Paddles, but they seem to work very well, at least for me. I suppose not as well as say an "M5" but I think they should work well for 90K

If I had my choice, I would choose to have the paddles mounted on the steering column rather then the wheel. Sometimes they are hard to get to when you are making hard turns Anyway, I think they work great, and will be a great addition to the RDX