Next Gen RDX

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next Gen RDX

I did a search and could find no threads discussing a Next Gen RDX. I'm curious what others think on how the platform may evolve? What features would you like to see?

To kick it off, I'd like to see a spirited V6. I woinder though if Acura may go the route of a 4 cylinder engine with electric assist.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:41 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,518 Likes on 1,184 Posts
Wish list:

- new grille, I like the 07-09 style better

- More HP/TQ from a direct injection turbo 4 (270-280 hp/280-300 TQ)

- V6 option like 3.5L (direct injection)

- 6AT with sport shift that stays in gear until you change it or come to a complete stop. Option to move the gear shift to the left from "D" to "M" to activate manual SS mode like the 04-08 TSX. "D" mode would still have the SS mode that changes back to full auto after a few seconds.

- 3D Navi system with hard-drive, you can change the angle of the 3D view, you can make it 2D with top down angle.

- Monthly/Quarterly internet Navi system updates by personal internet phone connected by Bluetooth, home wireless (sit in garage and download updates), or USB flash drive. You go online and register, submit your Navi code/VIN number, pay your $$, and perform you updates as needed (updates will only work with that Navi code and Vin #). Updates would include red light and speed cameras icons.

- Bluetooth audio

- Audio presets you can set for 6, 9 or 12 presets on one screen (MID option). You can also mix and match AM, FM and XM on the same preset screen for driver 1 or 2. I have 2 FM and 6 XM stations I like to listen to, I hate having to switch between modes.

- Audio system that can download songs/playlist/videos/audio tapes from your iPod/iPhone/Blackberry/mp3 player/etc.. and place it on the 250 GB hard-drive. Or copy the iTunes music folder on your computer to a flash drive and paste to the RDX hard drive without having to convert the music formatting. OR have the option to connect your iPod to the new Navi touch screen and control the device, watch videos, play music, listen to internet radio, surf the web, check emails (I know, sounds a little dangerous while driving).

- small retractable hooks (about 6 or 8 total) on both sides of cargo area for securing grocery bags

- Advance package option (cooled seats, CMBS, ACC, Blind spot monitoring, auto open/close tail gate, XM weather)

- lift gate glass that opens (I have to open the garage door to get anything from the back)

- adjustable or at least a two position lift gate height position

- easier way to fold the back seats forward when standing by the lift gate

- Watch DVD movies when you are in park OR dual video screen like Mercedes where the driver sees the Navi screen only from their angle and from the passenger's angle they sees a DVD movie playing on the same screen while driving.

- AC and heater vents for back seats

- push button start

- power adjustable steering wheel connected to memory seats

- keyless door open and start (keep keys in pocket/purse)

- make the Navi screen touch screen, still keep the knob. Maybe move the knob between the gear shift and arm rest.

- Heads up display for MPH, very easy to speed in the RDX

- have a SH-AWD selector switch, eco and sport. Sport mode will be normal SH-AWD. Eco will make the RDX front drive only and maybe give you +1-3 mpgs better mpg along with the 6AT (20 city/ 25 hwy)

- More color choices like quartz interior, metallic blue, wood trim, metal trim, etc… I think an Audi yellow RDX with ebony leather would look sharp.

- More adjustments on power passenger seat, maybe an one touch auto slide forward and/or back feature like you have for the windows/sunroof. Provide heat for the back on passenger seat like the driver seat.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:26 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
^^ Want some fries with that too?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:20 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Consider everything the ZDX has and adapt the RDX. You can still make it affordable and not as over the top.

Id first start with dumping the very Honda-ish dash, and slap in an MDX/ZDX dashboard at the minimum; including gauges etc
-get rid of the plastic dash, serves absolutely no purpose
-much more soundproofing & suspension needs serious consideration
-Selectable drive settings
-Rear seat treatments like adjustable seat backs
-Thicker steering wheel
-lighting in the cargo area

-since acura is so 'advanced' they should do wifi in the car and integrate everything else

finally - OPTIONS.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Intermediate

agree with mike on the dash, but for me steering wheel is "thick" enough. certainly better than the tsx's.

grille for me is fine actually, better soundproofing and less stiff suspension maybe.

i actually preferred the 4 turbo vs an atmo 6 -- hopefully they dont change it. if they do, wont preclude me fm buying a new one as long as the others are improved.

oh, long shot, but i wonder if and when acura/honda could provide as nice as outer shell/paint job as the MB/Audi/VW guys does theirs
Old 03-22-2010, 12:23 PM
big shot.

o and if acura puts the electronic steering into the RDX, i would def not buy it.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah I agree with the 4 turbo over a v6 . I just got a loaner TL with 305hp and it felt gutless compared to my RDX .
Old 03-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Over all, I think the current RDX is pretty good. Actually, it's the "funnest" Acura I've ever owned out of the three past Acuras. With that said, here are the few things I'd like to see change in future models of this vehicle.

Tighter interior build quality! WAY too many squeaks, rattles, noises, etc. And I don't even beat my car up like some may..
Better sound insulation from the road. Enough said?
Better tires like maybe the Continental Extreme DWS.
Better interior materials (dash, seats)
Other than that I love the engine. The current tranny is fine and works well with the turbo but a 6-speed would be nice.
SH-AWD is awesome but I'm always open to Honda tweaking it a bit more.
Exterior build quality is quite good (fit and finish) so no complaints there.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:25 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX
Over all, I think the current RDX is pretty good. Actually, it's the "funnest" Acura I've ever owned out of the three past Acuras. With that said, here are the few things I'd like to see change in future models of this vehicle.

Tighter interior build quality! WAY too many squeaks, rattles, noises, etc. And I don't even beat my car up like some may..
Better sound insulation from the road. Enough said?
Better tires like maybe the Continental Extreme DWS.
Better interior materials (dash, seats)
Other than that I love the engine. The current tranny is fine and works well with the turbo but a 6-speed would be nice.
SH-AWD is awesome but I'm always open to Honda tweaking it a bit more.
Exterior build quality is quite good (fit and finish) so no complaints there.
Oops. How could I forget. Better/stronger brakes, although I believe this was improved on the 2010 RDX model. I'd love to see some massive brake option though, maybe when opting for tech package. It would make the tech package more enticing.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:43 PM
mga
Cruisin'

Better sound proofing -- less road noise.

Drove a Mercedes c class the other day and was amazed at how quiet it was compared to the RDX. I was out of town, so the road surfaces could be wildly different too. But I sure would like the silence.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:40 PM
big shot.

acura needs to find a way to design a dash under around the 40k and under mark that is not nonsensical uses of plastic or metallic looking surfaces all over the place - you can have flash yet still be elegant

they really should take interior cues from Audi - not necessarily in layout and look but in design & presentation

im really sick of seeing the same thrown up material in all the Hondas & acuras now. It was cool back in 03 as the 04 redesigns rolled out and everyone was on the aluminum kick - but now, spending over 35k - the last thing i want to look at is the interior of my RDX it reminds me of a childs toy
Old 03-24-2010, 11:49 PM
Intermediate

I think less road noise would be essential. You can have sporty handling without losing your hearing. I had a sales person tell me they don't want the RDX to be competition for the MDX. Fine. But--there are features of a 'luxury' car that wouldn't damage the sporty essence of the RDX as I see it. I think the current turbo is great (maybe up the gas mileage some). I'm very pleased with the RDX. Performance, handling, punch--all good.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:20 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Is there any hard evidence at this point to suggest there will be a next gen RDX?...are sales strong enough to support it?
And would it appear as a 2012 model? (Honda/Acura 5-yr car cycle) or 2013? (MDX 6-yr cycle).
Old 03-29-2010, 12:01 PM
10th Gear

correct me if im wrong, but i thought with the latest refresh it's prolly in 2013 when a redesigned (completely new) rdx may come out.

that being said, next gen rdx? ill bet there will be. the subsegment is too enticing to pass up for car manufacturers in general. sure, RDX sales may be a disappointment to acura but then they, along with BMW did pioneer this (at least that's my impression, rightly or wrongly). id say one more try before acura gives up on this CUV segment.

and on to OP's question: keep the 4-turbo, give me a latch to open the back from inside the vehicle, improve gas mileage by 10%, and improve the build to a CRV a little bit (just a little, im not asking for a lot! :P) -- triple galvanize your body if you can and try to copy MB paint process if you can.

Originally Posted by cheffip
Is there any hard evidence at this point to suggest there will be a next gen RDX?...are sales strong enough to support it?
And would it appear as a 2012 model? (Honda/Acura 5-yr car cycle) or 2013? (MDX 6-yr cycle).
Old 03-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

I love the RDX. It's just the right size for my needs and I love the SH-AWD. The sporty drivability and turbo are near perfect. The MDX is too big and heavy and the new ZDX, all though cool looking, seems a bit impraticable and as big and heavy as the MDX. I would love a full makeover on the RDX for it's next rendition.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:34 AM
mrgold35

I'm willing to bet they will increase the size and/or weight of the new RDX. A civic today is as large as a Accord a few years ago. Most cars in the Acura/Honda line-up have increased in size and weight over the years.

I'm not sure if a Turbo 4 will be enough for a +4200 CUV for a next gen RDX. I think we will see the 3.5L for the next gen RDX as a main engine or an option with SH-AWD.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:40 PM
big shot.

who knows what they will do to it

whatever they eventually do, if they do in fact keep the model, they really need to up the ante if they think they are going to sell more given the fierce competition in the segment.

when it was released, much of the focus was on making these things drive closer to cars, better yet, sports cars. Alot was left off that plate. NOW? its a given they should drive well but also be accompanied with everything else in lux/near lux vehicles. Acura could still keep it at a budget (like a base TL) and give more model options, which sounds like a much better idea as long as they are actually different and worth it. if they release an RDX and stagger the models (which they appear to be inching towards, w/options, awd, tech, then 'advanced packages'), id have no problem sticking with acura and buying a 40-42k RDX that competes with a Q5. will they do that? probably not. But, if they are willing to slap on a 35-38k sticker to an TSX, i see no reason why the RDX couldnt handle a big price increase and be similar to a base MDX, just like the TSX V6 to a TL. let the consumer decide which one they want.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
I'm willing to bet they will increase the size and/or weight of the new RDX. A civic today is as large as a Accord a few years ago. Most cars in the Acura/Honda line-up have increased in size and weight over the years.

I'm not sure if a Turbo 4 will be enough for a +4200 CUV for a next gen RDX. I think we will see the 3.5L for the next gen RDX as a main engine or an option with SH-AWD.
The 3.5L is not much difference performance wise that the turbo-4. The V6 accord is a little slower than the RDX and weighs less. The 3.7 might help, but only a tiny bit. Not worth the re-engineering costs. Honda has fallen quite a bit behind in terms of engine tech, especially on the corporate six cylinders.

(Still don't see why everyone is fixated on a V6. Results speak for themselves. The RDX power train is on its 4th model year, soon to be 5th, and it is still class competitive in terms of performance. The new X3 will probably finally set the bar higher. I'd rather see them add direct injection to the I4T.)

Last edited by brizey; 03-31-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:45 PM
10th Gear

i was actually doing that comparison before buying the rdx. tsx vs rdx. for the price, it was a no brainer. i dont even know when ill consider the tsx now. for a 2nd car, i might as well get a VW GTI.

if the rdx = q5 in price, they better really be "worth the price". otherwise, they will lose out. and hopefully they consider all the "upgrades" as a wholistic pkg. not just some additional slap ons and benefits which doesnt seem that it fits well. example: 2010 base now has ambient foot lighting on passenger side, is it really that important?

Originally Posted by MMike1981
who knows what they will do to it

whatever they eventually do, if they do in fact keep the model, they really need to up the ante if they think they are going to sell more given the fierce competition in the segment.

when it was released, much of the focus was on making these things drive closer to cars, better yet, sports cars. Alot was left off that plate. NOW? its a given they should drive well but also be accompanied with everything else in lux/near lux vehicles. Acura could still keep it at a budget (like a base TL) and give more model options, which sounds like a much better idea as long as they are actually different and worth it. if they release an RDX and stagger the models (which they appear to be inching towards, w/options, awd, tech, then 'advanced packages'), id have no problem sticking with acura and buying a 40-42k RDX that competes with a Q5. will they do that? probably not. But, if they are willing to slap on a 35-38k sticker to an TSX, i see no reason why the RDX couldnt handle a big price increase and be similar to a base MDX, just like the TSX V6 to a TL. let the consumer decide which one they want.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:23 PM
big shot.

turbo is absolutely fine btw..so i concur, yes the responsiveness of a V6 may be and is desirable, but besides that, the RDX #'s still just about match or better whats out right now, which when you think about it, is massively impressive for a car that was released in 2006.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:07 AM
mrgold35

I'm just thinking they will expand the RDX line-up like the TSX and TL models:

2012 RDX base FWD I-4 Turbo - $34,000 (4000 lbs curb weight)
2012 RDX Tech FWD I-4 Turbo - $37,000
2012 RDX base SH-AWD 3.5L - $36,000
2012 RDX Tech SH-AWD 3.5L - $41,000
2012 RDX Advance SH-AWD 3.5L - $43,000 (4250 lbs curb weight)

I'm thinking with the increase size and weight of a larger 2012 model and SH-AWD would make Acura consiser more engine choices to keep the same performance AND mpgs as the competition.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:09 AM
big shot.

that price increase from awd non tech to tech is nuts - dont see that as being realistic unless there is just a redic amount of equip...

i dont see the rdx sticker reaching over 41k. 5k more for a tech is not gonna happen, id say 2500 between base & tech. the more expensive option being the advanced package which should prob include more aggressive tires, ventilated seats, and hopefully selectable drive settings among other things.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:22 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
I'm just thinking they will expand the RDX line-up like the TSX and TL models:

2012 RDX base FWD I-4 Turbo - $34,000 (4000 lbs curb weight)
2012 RDX Tech FWD I-4 Turbo - $37,000
2012 RDX base SH-AWD 3.5L - $36,000
2012 RDX Tech SH-AWD 3.5L - $41,000
2012 RDX Advance SH-AWD 3.5L - $43,000 (4250 lbs curb weight)

I'm thinking with the increase size and weight of a larger 2012 model and SH-AWD would make Acura consiser more engine choices to keep the same performance AND mpgs as the competition.
WTF is advance?
Old 04-01-2010, 11:29 AM
big shot.

the advance packages now found on the ZDX, MDX
Old 04-01-2010, 12:44 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by MMike1981
that price increase from awd non tech to tech is nuts - dont see that as being realistic unless there is just a redic amount of equip...

i dont see the rdx sticker reaching over 41k. 5k more for a tech is not gonna happen, id say 2500 between base & tech. the more expensive option being the advanced package which should prob include more aggressive tires, ventilated seats, and hopefully selectable drive settings among other things.
We thought we would never see a $38,000 TSX or a $55,000 MDX. The next gen RL will max out around $55,000 to $60,000 as the flag ship.

Acura is charging about $3100-$6000 between non-tech, tech, and advance packages for the MDX, ZDX, TSX, TL and RL.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:52 PM
big shot.

The TSX main price increase is due to engine not a navigation unit.

in the end what matters is what the tech package actually includes in terms of the price so - who knows, but if its anything like the current RDX tech - no way are they getting 4-5k for it, just not possible, and if they do charge like that for it, theyll sell even less.