New to us 2011 RDX

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 08:56 PM
Intermediate

New to us 2011 RDX

Hi everyone, my wife's 2010 Equinox piece of junk 2.4l recently crossed the 100k mile mark and started misfiring lol haven't found the issue yet after changing injectors, and a few coils. Replaced the ridiculously stretched timing chain at around 85k along with whatever else was damaged in there. Want to set that car on fire. Anyway, was thinking of possible cars for my wife and happened to check Copart for RDXs since I've always wanted to get her one. Saw this one coming up and put a $1k max bid on it and forgot about it, thinking it'll probably go for a lot more. Next day get an email saying "time to pay the piper, boy."Ended up winning it for $750, run and drive. After fees came out to $1200. My dad went and picked it up with my bro in law and parked it at his place in Yelm. I picked it up the next weekend and drove it down to Vancouver. Runs great, I absolutely love this car, the most fun car I've had yet. The wife likes it to so that works out. I've been dailying it while my RL is stuck in the garage waiting to be put back together still and my wife isn't working right now since she's pregnant. Needs A/C compressor changed I think, I ordered some parts including condenser and radiator and did some minor maintenance so far. Will be a mild build, we'll see since it's her car, but hey, if the car "needs" a fmic and 2.5" exhaust, what are you gonna do, amiright?

That side damage was what totaled it I guess

Pretty decent condition given the mileage. Not impressed with the fake leather Acura used, compared to the mint full grain in my KA9

Had it detailed right away

Scrape goes all the way along the side, front bumper to rear

No check engine light, no error codes, only no sound from the radio/stereo
Old Yesterday | 09:04 PM
Intermediate

Some goodies arrived today
Old Today | 11:50 AM
Cruisin'

A similar story

Originally Posted by 98ej8
Hi everyone, my wife's 2010 Equinox piece of junk 2.4l recently crossed the 100k mile mark and started misfiring lol haven't found the issue yet after changing injectors, and a few coils. Replaced the ridiculously stretched timing chain at around 85k along with whatever else was damaged in there. Want to set that car on fire. Anyway, was thinking of possible cars for my wife and happened to check Copart for RDXs since I've always wanted to get her one. Saw this one coming up and put a $1k max bid on it and forgot about it, thinking it'll probably go for a lot more. Next day get an email saying "time to pay the piper, boy."Ended up winning it for $750, run and drive. After fees came out to $1200. My dad went and picked it up with my bro in law and parked it at his place in Yelm. I picked it up the next weekend and drove it down to Vancouver. Runs great, I absolutely love this car, the most fun car I've had yet. The wife likes it to so that works out. I've been dailying it while my RL is stuck in the garage waiting to be put back together still and my wife isn't working right now since she's pregnant. Needs A/C compressor changed I think, I ordered some parts including condenser and radiator and did some minor maintenance so far. Will be a mild build, we'll see since it's her car, but hey, if the car "needs" a fmic and 2.5" exhaust, what are you gonna do, amiright?

That side damage was what totaled it I guess

Pretty decent condition given the mileage. Not impressed with the fake leather Acura used, compared to the mint full grain in my KA9

Had it detailed right away

Scrape goes all the way along the side, front bumper to rear

No check engine light, no error codes, only no sound from the radio/stereo
Your story sounds familiar, lol. I had a 2010 Equinox 2.4l that was about to explode it's second engine. I replaced it with a 2010 RDX AWD Tech (230,000km now). I've had to replace a few things in the last few years (tires, struts, spark plugs, alternator, etc.) but still love it. Before replacing the AC compressor make sure that the fuse / relay (I can't remember which it was) under the hood is good. My AC didn't work at first but it just needed that changing and good to go. You won't like the gas mileage or having to use premium gas, though. Other than that it's a blast.
The following users liked this post:
98ej8 (Today)
Old Today | 12:08 PM
Intermediate

Yeah the equinox isn't a terrible car for what it is, except that cursed engine and some other stuff lol.
My ac compressor works but doesnt blow cold air. And I see freon leaking from either it or the hose so I ordered replacements just going to swap it all. At 200k it probably could use a refresh I suppose.
Jeff Bowyer (Today)
Old Today | 12:48 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jeff Bowyer
Before replacing the AC compressor make sure that the fuse / relay (I can't remember which it was) under the hood is good. My AC didn't work at first but it just needed that changing and good to go. You won't like the gas mileage or having to use premium gas, though. Other than that it's a blast.
I was going to suggest swapping the relay also, (since it is a semi common problem) but it sounds like you already on top of the problem

CONGRATS ON THE RDX, it sounds like you got a heck of a deal!
98ej8 (Today)
Old Today | 01:10 PM
Intermediate

Thank you! This car has been a blessing, the timing was perfect too because I was driving my mom in laws Rav4 while she was out of town for like a month after the equinox started acting up and got the rdx like the week before she returned so was able to jump in it and go.
And to top it all it's just so fun to drive after the gutless equinox, and while the rav4 has some pep in its step, it's loud inside and super uncomfortable lol
Old Today | 08:10 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jeff Bowyer
Your story sounds familiar, lol. I had a 2010 Equinox 2.4l that was about to explode it's second engine. I replaced it with a 2010 RDX AWD Tech (230,000km now). I've had to replace a few things in the last few years (tires, struts, spark plugs, alternator, etc.) but still love it. Before replacing the AC compressor make sure that the fuse / relay (I can't remember which it was) under the hood is good. My AC didn't work at first but it just needed that changing and good to go. You won't like the gas mileage or having to use premium gas, though. Other than that it's a blast.
My wife's Equinox was getting 16-19 mpg lol obviously something wrong with it but that's how it was the last few years, luckily she didn't drive far for work. I had a 99 4runner 5 speed that averaged 15-17 mpg and then a 99 es300 that was around 20 mpg as well I think.
I've been getting 19-21 on the RDX so far and thats not driving eco mode plus with a lot more get up and go than the equinox lol so I'm not too upset about that. I must say sometimes I miss the plush, boat cruise ride of the es300 and the silky smooth v6, that seemed like my dog's favorite car lol but it couldn't take turns at all haha
Old Today | 08:13 PM
Intermediate

Goodies arrived!

Found a discount when searching online and got this for 200 shipped. Arrived 3 days after I ordered i think.

Removed the stock sway bar at my work shop but my end links didn't want to be reused so I had to cut them/smack them off with a BFH and zip tied the new bar to keep it from drooping while I get new ones tonight or tomorrow. Was really looking forward to seeing the difference on the freeway ramps after work!