New to the RDX game

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 11:39 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the RDX game

Just bought a 07 RDX tech package with 133k. Very clean in side and out. But it did come with some problems. 1. A/C is dead. Did do some reading on here about the relay, changed that, did nothing. The compressor isn't seized, still spins freely. I did turn the car on and used a pry bar to push the clutch in and it engaged, turned the ac off and back on still didn't engage. So gonna get it tested to see if it's low. 2. I didn't noticed it when I test drove it, but when full throttle in first gear about to shift to 2nd it kinds stalls. Not a stall like motor cutting out but it kinds slows down hard then goes to second and goes. Not sure if it's transmission problem or what. It shifts smooth if I give it gas below 6k but after that and only first does it happen. Other than those two problems it's a fun car. (Traded my 04 TL for it and so far worth it) some things I don't understand why acura did it but, for a tech package not having memory seats is weird, and no power seat on the passenger side also. (Kinda glad cause they are heavy but still weird) Want to add some supporting mods down the road, nothing insane as it's my daily. But new intake and better down pipe and get a tune done. (Have an 89 Acura legend as my project car)
Old 07-26-2021, 10:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 242 Likes on 211 Posts
The actually added memory and power passenger seat a few years later when they did the mid-cycle refresh of the first gen. Those 07-09 cars are definitely missing a few creature comforts that most would consider essential today for an entry-lux car, but hey, it was 15 years ago. As for your specific issues, definitely check the refrigerant level of the a/c before doing anything more invasive. At this car's age, it could definitely be low (I just had to recharge by 2010 for the first time this year - now it blows ice cold in the 115 degree Phoenix heat again). Also look into the transmission solenoids, and make sure it has had a recent fluid exchange. Both are relatively cheap and could help it run a lot smoother, assuming there is nothing wrong with the guts of the unit.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:40 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
The actually added memory and power passenger seat a few years later when they did the mid-cycle refresh of the first gen. Those 07-09 cars are definitely missing a few creature comforts that most would consider essential today for an entry-lux car, but hey, it was 15 years ago. As for your specific issues, definitely check the refrigerant level of the a/c before doing anything more invasive. At this car's age, it could definitely be low (I just had to recharge by 2010 for the first time this year - now it blows ice cold in the 115 degree Phoenix heat again). Also look into the transmission solenoids, and make sure it has had a recent fluid exchange. Both are relatively cheap and could help it run a lot smoother, assuming there is nothing wrong with the guts of the unit.
Yeah I'm just used to it being there (have an 89 legend, 03 mdx and 06 mdx) but it's no big deal just a weird miss with it. Yeah I'm gonna check out the ac soon the heat is coming back.. and done deal sounds like like simple fix after dealing with an 04 tl trans
Old 07-28-2021, 06:11 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
The AC unit could also have the bad clutch that was an extended warranty item by Honda a while back. My wife’s 2010 Honda CRV had this issue that the AC would work for like 10 minutes, then cut off once the AC Clutch was hot and the metal expanded so that it could not be pulled in. I ended up removing the clutch only, taking out one little teeny washer, and knock on wood, it has been working since March 2020. In Florida.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:31 PM
CSmoney28

Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
I agree that you probably need a new A/C clutch as it was recalled as others said many years ago. I went ahead and replaced my whole A/C system since I managed to kill my compressor as well. The transmission pressure switches are known to go bad and I have had to change a few to get my transmission shifting smoother. The RDX doesn't shift that smooth regardless its the old style transmissions. Just make sure to change the fluid with Acura OEM transmission fluid.