My RDX had always been on either Chevron or Shell diet...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 08:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My RDX had always been on either Chevron or Shell diet...

Until I moved recently from Canada to Boston. The most prevalent gas stations are the Mobil, Gulf, Sonoco and Hess. Honestly, For the past 2 years that my RDX was on the Shell V-power and Chevron gas diet, it always ran smooth and never had start-up issues.

But ever since I came to Boston about 6 months ago, it has been on mostly Mobil and Sonoco gas; can't really find a Shell station near where I live. The car had not been starting up easily, and gas consumption went up. So I recently (following an oil change) put in first a 12 oz bottle of Chevron Techron concentrate and then after one tank of gas, added the next bottle of STP fuel system cleaner. After close to a tank of gas usage, the car starts up better now in the cold mornings now.

Wish there were more top-tier gas staitons around. Apparently there are no top-tier gas stations here in Boston area, except for the few Shell stations. I can honestly attest that top-tier gas makes a huge difference to daily operation of a car.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife has a Mini Cooper and the BMW dealership recommends only using Chevron, Shell, or Texaco. Our area has Chevron and Shell mostly so that's what we both use, including my RDX. No problems to report. Earlier when the Mini occasionally had economy brands--it misbehaved. Not very scientific but we stay with the preferred brands now.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:13 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Top tier gas stations? Don't you think that perhaps the difference is in the gasoline blend that they get North of the border rather than the gas station you get it at? Just wondering here.......
Old 10-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
sunoco is top tier. But ya shell rocks!
Old 10-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mau108
sunoco is top tier. But ya shell rocks!
Yes, Sunoco Canada is top tier gas, but not sure about Sunoco USA gas. That is what I am wondering about.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:56 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
www.toptiergas.com
Old 10-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Pro

Seems odd that not using top teir gas would have any effect on your car short term. I mean, a few tanks with less detergent (assumption) isn't going to gum up your engine.

My RDX runs best on non-top teir gas (94 octane) because the top tier around here is all 91.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cwepruk
Seems odd that not using top teir gas would have any effect on your car short term. I mean, a few tanks with less detergent (assumption) isn't going to gum up your engine.

My RDX runs best on non-top teir gas (94 octane) because the top tier around here is all 91.
What gas in Canada that is non top-tiered and is 94 octane? The only 94 octane gas in Western Canada I know of is Chevron, sunoco, and Petrocanada. And they are all top-tier gasoline.

While I was in Vancouver, I only fed Shell V-power to my RDX, and it ran great and smooth, no idling issues. Of course when I fed Chevron 94 to it, it felt peppier, but I was really concerned with the engine staying clean of gum.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:29 PM
Vegas Bum

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
One more thing to keep in mind when buying gas is you want to buy from a place that has alot of sales volume, I don't know what the avg shelf life of gas is but the fresher the better!
Old 10-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mav238
The only 94 octane gas in Western Canada I know of is Chevron, sunoco, and Petrocanada.
The only 94 (and even 92) octane gas available in Edmonton is Husky.

I just think a couple tanks of non-top teir gas shouldn't be noticable. Engines don't gum up in a matter of days. Perhaps it was just bad gas?
Old 10-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Burning Brakes

I usually fill up at Quick Trip (which is top tier). Another tip--don't get gas at a slow pump--that means the filters are clogged. Which means a poorly maintained station.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by brizey
I usually fill up at Quick Trip (which is top tier). Another tip--don't get gas at a slow pump--that means the filters are clogged. Which means a poorly maintained station.
ummm... the post was originally about top-tier gasoline available in the New England area. Talking about top-tier gasoline in other regions is irrelevant to this post. I know that there are top-tier gasolines on the west coast, mid-west, and the southern states. The issue is that all gasoline retailers in the north east new england area is not top-tier, with the exception of Shell.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Burning Brakes

ummm... the post was originally about top-tier gasoline available in the New England area. Talking about top-tier gasoline in other regions is irrelevant to this post. I know that there are top-tier gasolines on the west coast, mid-west, and the southern states. The issue is that all gasoline retailers in the north east new england area is not top-tier, with the exception of Shell.
The discussion was about top tier gasoline and fillup habits. Every thread on every forum diverges a bit from the original topic.

My post was more on topic than JBONN's. cwepruk also commented on gasoline available in other areas. Why did you single me out? If you have a gripe with me personally, then take it to PM's.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:44 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by brizey
The discussion was about top tier gasoline and fillup habits. Every thread on every forum diverges a bit from the original topic.

My post was more on topic than JBONN's. cwepruk also commented on gasoline available in other areas. Why did you single me out? If you have a gripe with me personally, then take it to PM's.
Both of you play nice in the sandbox. Mav, threads diverge from the original topic most of the time, and that's okay. Fortunately this was still talking about gasoline. Also, pointing out someone diverging from the original topic doesn't mean that there is a "personal" issue with another member....

My prescription is:
Old 10-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
Both of you play nice in the sandbox. Mav, threads diverge from the original topic most of the time, and that's okay. Fortunately this was still talking about gasoline. Also, pointing out someone diverging from the original topic doesn't mean that there is a "personal" issue with another member....

My prescription is:
You are right--I should have just let it go.