Motive First Drive: RDX vs. EX35 vs. X3

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007 | 05:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by seevemonka
I'm not disagreeing with you that the rdx is a better value. I'm just saying the rdx styling is boring and bland(IMO). The ex35 definitely isn't boring.
I totally agree. The RDX is hands-down a better value and much more practical...but there's going to be that crowd (even in this "niche" market) that's going to want something flashier. Thinking of the ex35 as a G35 hatch is probably the best way to approach this car. It's got enough style for DINKs or single-adults to hit the posh areas of town without being embarrassed.

Personally, I went for the RDX because I like something that looked a bit more unassuming when I have to venture into areas the exact opposite of posh for work (and because I couldn't bring myself to buy a CR-V). And that whole Honda rep thing.
Old 10-26-2007 | 06:01 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Boon
I totally agree. The RDX is hands-down a better value and much more practical...but there's going to be that crowd (even in this "niche" market) that's going to want something flashier. Thinking of the ex35 as a G35 hatch is probably the best way to approach this car. It's got enough style for DINKs or single-adults to hit the posh areas of town without being embarrassed.

Personally, I went for the RDX because I like something that looked a bit more unassuming when I have to venture into areas the exact opposite of posh for work (and because I couldn't bring myself to buy a CR-V). And that whole Honda rep thing.

I think you are right boon. The rdx is an unassuming cuv, very practical and fun to drive. The sh-awd system is top notch, a descent but not great interior and at a very reasonable price. I just think, if the styling where a little better, the rdx would have sold better. How many rdx's as acura sold in it's first year? I myself would lean towards the ex35, however in person if the ex35's back seat is useless, then I would buy the rdx. I have seen the specs but the pictures and videos I have seen, make it look like the rear has adequate space, bee it not large. I think of the ex35 as more of a coupe wagon/hatchback. The rdx is a true cuv, in the smaller sport category. You made a good choice in the rdx.
Old 10-26-2007 | 06:11 PM
XIS
Lizard King

I know this is subjective, but I think the exterior of the EX is much more bland than the RDX. I actually think it is ugly and I am not just saying that... I do think that the EX has nicer door panels and a nice shaped back seat (although you might as well get an IS350 for rear seat space)
I like the RDX dash, gauges, and front seats better...and size/configuration.

The RDX's issue with sales was their marketing. They hyped it (well in advance) as one thing and to a specific market, tried to sell it as another thing to a different market. That and it was 2-3k too much at the beginning (before invoice pricing became the norm).

I am glad it is not a super high seller. I hated seeing everyone and their sister in the same car I used to drive...
Old 10-26-2007 | 08:13 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by XIS
I know this is subjective, but I think the exterior of the EX is much more bland than the RDX. I actually think it is ugly and I am not just saying that... I do think that the EX has nicer door panels and a nice shaped back seat (although you might as well get an IS350 for rear seat space)
I like the RDX dash, gauges, and front seats better...and size/configuration.

The RDX's issue with sales was their marketing. They hyped it (well in advance) as one thing and to a specific market, tried to sell it as another thing to a different market. That and it was 2-3k too much at the beginning (before invoice pricing became the norm).

I am glad it is not a super high seller. I hated seeing everyone and their sister in the same car I used to drive...
You have a clear bias.
Old 10-26-2007 | 10:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by brizey
According to Edmunds, the combines front leg room and rear leg room of the EX35 is SIX inches less than the RDX. The back seat is essentially useless. Why did they even bother with rear doors?
Are you over 6 foot tall?

The reason I ask, is because the guy in this video is, and he has room to spare in the back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6WSQQisGSU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiAiUDY-j0A
Old 10-26-2007 | 11:28 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Originally Posted by AbovePrime.
You have a clear bias.

From you young lady, that is nothing but priceless....

Back to the ignore list.... what a tool.
Old 10-27-2007 | 01:16 AM
B A N N E D

You have nothing but negative things to say about the EX-35(anything remotely positive you knock it back down), which is clearly better than the RDX performance wise, and interior wise, cargo and rear seat space is lacking, and thats the only place the EX loses to the RDX. If you can't admit the EX is better you're nothing but a fan boy that thinks Acura's are better than anything.

Don't worry I know you're viewing my posts, ignored or not.
Old 10-27-2007 | 02:00 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by XIS
Try coming up to Canada. I pass by so many RDXs every day now...many of them CGP like mine....and I'm like "d@mn, now I'm like every asian person in Toronto." People probably think the car belongs to my parents since I rarely see anyone my age or younger driving them around.
Old 10-27-2007 | 10:46 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Well here in the 5th largest city in the US, I still only see one a week or so. I do read that they are huge sellers North of the border and won some awards up there.

Old 10-27-2007 | 01:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Senneca01
Are you over 6 foot tall?

The reason I ask, is because the guy in this video is, and he has room to spare in the back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiAiUDY-j0A
He looks cramped as hell. I don't think he has room to spare. The seat backs are significantly more upright and his knees are actually touching the back seat. The RDX has way, way, way more room. In an RDX he would be able to cross his legs.

Basically, I like the dashboard better, and the extra oomph would be nice, but the EX would never work for me--I want the bigger back seat. If the RDX didn't exist I would still not get the EX35, I would have probably got a CX-7.
Old 10-27-2007 | 01:43 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

as far as rear leg room in the ex35, that video showed adequate, but how far up/back was the drivers seat he was sitting behind, just about any car you put the seat all the way up you have enough leg room. the seats and interior look more comfortable, but (i know this will sound crazy) the infinity looks more crowded in the center console area, there is limited interior space, it doesnt have the nice mid like the rdx and it looks like a mush of the g35 and fx35 not unique at all o and the sh-awd standard on both models is a plus

what i do like, is the 6cy engine (turbo is nice but it has more power than the rdx stock),intertior seems a little more luxury, and that lane assist seems pretty cool, plus the rwd bias seems nice.

all in all it will be like any car purchase, mostly subjective to the buyer, i dont care what is said here about sales projections, if you like the style/look of the car your more prone to buy it, if not most likely you will look elsewhere. it has nice power, awd is standard on the rdx and rdx seems little more sporty and is more unique in styling. ex35 seems little more luxury, yet less sporty.
Old 10-27-2007 | 03:23 PM
Not an Ashtray

You have nothing but negative things to say about the EX-35(anything remotely positive you knock it back down), which is clearly better than the RDX performance wise, and interior wise, cargo and rear seat space is lacking, and thats the only place the EX loses to the RDX. If you can't admit the EX is better you're nothing but a fan boy that thinks Acura's are better than anything.

Don't worry I know you're viewing my posts, ignored or not.
Given that you've never seen or driven and EX35, I wonder how you got so convinced it is better. You are obviously just trying to provoke everybody here.

I am going to hold off until I can see it. I don't need a large rear seat, but my main worry is visability. That tiny rear window and the the big c pillars worry me. Visability is a non-issue in the RDX (which is fine).

And "all around monitor" and backup cameras DO NOT make up for crappy visability. None of that stuff helps when you are trying to pass.

The other major issue with all Infiniti products is that the NAV can't be programmed while the vehicle is moving and you also get locked out of some of the audio features. I HATE that kind of electronic nanny.

Anyway, I'm not saying this won't be a great vehicle, and I'm certainly looking forward to the test drive, but the RDX still stacks up nice in some areas (better GPS, more size and cargo capacity ,better visability, more sophisticated AWD system).

And, unlike most non RDX owners, I seem to love the styling of the vehicle inside and out. The EX looks good too, but the RDX stands out a bit more to me.
Old 10-27-2007 | 07:49 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by darth62
Given that you've never seen or driven and EX35, I wonder how you got so convinced it is better. You are obviously just trying to provoke everybody here.
Yeah, you nailed that one right on the head, the test numbers, and the pictures of the interior show that it is more elegant and has many more padded surfaces. The test numbers from Edmunds.com show that it can do everything better, performance wise. Without SH-AWD, and its not a sport!
I am going to hold off until I can see it. I don't need a large rear seat, but my main worry is visability. That tiny rear window and the the big c pillars worry me. Visability is a non-issue in the RDX (which is fine).

And "all around monitor" and backup cameras DO NOT make up for crappy visability. None of that stuff helps when you are trying to pass.

The other major issue with all Infiniti products is that the NAV can't be programmed while the vehicle is moving and you also get locked out of some of the audio features. I HATE that kind of electronic nanny.

Anyway, I'm not saying this won't be a great vehicle, and I'm certainly looking forward to the test drive, but the RDX still stacks up nice in some areas (better GPS, more size and cargo capacity ,better visability, more sophisticated AWD system).
How Exactly can YOU say that? I'm sure a the ability to touch the screen will go further with non techy people than some BA knob on the center stack. The rendering already looks better. You've never driven it so you cannot comment on visibility. The AWD system has not yet been released on the EX, just because it's more sophisticated doesn't mean it will work better, SH-AWD just corrects understeer, which the RDX still has a problem with because of the FWD Bias.
And, unlike most non RDX owners, I seem to love the styling of the vehicle inside and out. The EX looks good too, but the RDX stands out a bit more to me.
???
Old 10-27-2007 | 08:01 PM
Not an Ashtray

???
The NAV system in the new EX35 is identical to the one in the current G35 and M35/45. And, guess what sunshine - We actually own a G35. Its my sister's daily driver.

I can tell you with 100% confidence that the Acura navigation unit spanks it. Its not even in the same league in terms of easy of use.

And, the advantage of the touchscreen is equivocal when you can't use the damn thing at all once the vehicle is moving.

I find it pretty laughable that your conclusions about the EX35 are based entirely on photos at EDMUNDs.com. There is no way you can tell from the photos what the quality of materials are, or how padded the surfaces are. You are just making crap up here in a desperate attempt to feel better about your own misguided purchase.

You are right that I can't comment on visability. That is an issue that remains to be demonstrated. But, if visability is good with that tiny rear window and the C pilars, I'll be surprised.
Old 10-27-2007 | 08:12 PM
Racer

Wow, the EX35 looks promising, especially the interior!

Performance is definitely ahead of its competitors!
Old 10-27-2007 | 08:18 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by Jackygor
Wow, the EX35 looks promising, especially the interior!

Performance is definitely ahead of its competitors!
I'm optimistic about. It certainly does look like a nice vehicle. But, I'll wait to see it in person before I get excited.
Old 10-27-2007 | 08:40 PM
B A N N E D

The NAV system in the new EX35 is identical to the one in the current G35 and M35/45. And, guess what sunshine - We actually own a G35. Its my sister's daily driver.

I can tell you with 100% confidence that the Acura navigation unit spanks it. Its not even in the same league in terms of easy of use.
I'm sure its not "in easy of use", but it's not completely the same, so you still cannot conclude anything about it, this Navi includes touch screen ability as well as a control knob.
And, the advantage of the touchscreen is equivocal when you can't use the damn thing at all once the vehicle is moving.
No it's not, sorry.
I find it pretty laughable that your conclusions about the EX35 are based entirely on photos at EDMUNDs.com. There is no way you can tell from the photos what the quality of materials are, or how padded the surfaces are. You are just making crap up here in a desperate attempt to feel better about your own misguided purchase.
Just like your conclusions on reliability are SOLEY based on Crap Reports?

Making it all up, from thin air, oh my you just see right through me(and the smoke screens I've set up)!

The EX is turning out so good I might just buy one.

HAHAHA buddy, Again WTFF, The dash, is padded, the RDX's IS NOT.
The infiniti interior is a step ahead in design and quality, they already said it was better than the Interior in the G35. It sports REAL aluminum, in the lowest trim, not painted silver plastic.

You are right that I can't comment on visability. That is an issue that remains to be demonstrated. But, if visability is good with that tiny rear window and the C pilars, I'll be surprised.
“Conventional mirrors, no matter how carefully you use them, just can’t provide a view around the vehicle that the . . . four-camera system does,” said Mark Igo, vice president and general manager.
sf
Old 10-27-2007 | 09:08 PM
B A N N E D

And Motor Trends SUV Of the year is The CX-9! Not the MDX or RDX.
Old 10-28-2007 | 03:55 AM
Not an Ashtray

sf
In point of fact, it is completely the same. Same source. Same buttons. Same interface. The exact same system is in the G35 and EX35 without any differences whatsoever. And, I know that for a fact because Infiniti confirmed it when I e-mailed them.

Talking out your butt, again.
Old 10-28-2007 | 11:08 AM
B A N N E D

It doesn't have the four way camera system, they are not all the same, and who really cares about you comparing your Acura's Navi to the Infiniti's Navi(the Infiniti Navigation combines touch screen which is enough for people to choose it over the RDX's)? Because the Acura Navigation has to be oh so much better, come on its an Acura.
Old 10-28-2007 | 01:04 PM
Not an Ashtray

It doesn't have the four way camera system, they are not all the same, and who really cares about you comparing your Acura's Navi to the Infiniti's Navi(the Infiniti Navigation combines touch screen which is enough for people to choose it over the RDX's)? Because the Acura Navigation has to be oh so much better, come on its an Acura.
The NAVIGATION system, moron. The all-around view system has nothing to do with the way you program addresses etc.

And, once again. We have both the Infiniti and Acura. Unlike you, I acutally have used both systems extensively. Your entire opinion is based on photos in EDMUNDS.com and you've never used either system. In fact, I'd wager that you've not even used the Infiniti system EVEN ONCE nor have you seen it in action

All you are doing is coming up with garbage and making stuff in a desperate attempt to discredit the RDX and make yourself feel better about your purchase. Your entire knowledge of the EX35 is based on a review at EDMUNDS.com, and the you've never even used the system you are talking about here, nor have you spent much time in any Acura product.
Old 10-28-2007 | 02:09 PM
B A N N E D

The NAVIGATION system, moron. The all-around view system has nothing to do with the way you program addresses etc.

And, once again. We have both the Infiniti and Acura. Unlike you, I actually have used both systems extensively. Your entire opinion is based on photos in EDMUNDS.com and you've never used either system. In fact, I'd wager that you've not even used the Infiniti system EVEN ONCE nor have you seen it in action

All you are doing is coming up with garbage and making stuff in a desperate attempt to discredit the RDX and make yourself feel better about your purchase. Your entire knowledge of the EX35 is based on a review at EDMUNDS.com, and the you've never even used the system you are talking about here, nor have you spent much time in any Acura product.
I've USED the system in the G35, and I DON'T base my thoughts on the NAVI system purely from Edmunds, Roadfly, and other sources say that the NAVI is top notch, and I would have to agree.

You BASE entire brands reliability on C(rap)ONSUMER REPORTS, HAHAHAHA. You're not one to talk about people making up generalizations about things from one source.

Of course we're just suppose to believe you, I mean you say that the Acura Navigation is better so it must be, again one of the Top Navigation systems among consumers is the one in the Lincoln Zephyr and all Ford Lincoln's and Merc's., which isn't the prettiest but since its touch screen it makes all the difference to the people buying it. So Touch Screen capability makes all the difference despite what you have to say.
Old 10-28-2007 | 02:35 PM
Not an Ashtray

I've USED the system in the G35, and I DON'T base my thoughts on the NAVI system purely from Edmunds, Roadfly, and other sources say that the NAVI is top notch, and I would have to agree.

You BASE entire brands reliability on C(rap)ONSUMER REPORTS, HAHAHAHA. You're not one to talk about people making up generalizations about things from one source.

Of course we're just suppose to believe you, I mean you say that the Acura Navigation is better so it must be, again one of the Top Navigation systems among consumers is the one in the Lincoln Zephyr and all Ford Lincoln's and Merc's., which isn't the prettiest but since its touch screen it makes all the difference to the people buying it. So Touch Screen capability makes all the difference despite what you have to say.
Actually, the Acura system wins in every head to head comparison I've ever seen.

But, if you are going to base conclusions on something, I would say a nonprofit organizatoin with decades of distinguished service and a survey base of over a million drivers might be more believable then, say, a Malaysian blog (cited in the other thread as your proof of the Mazda reliablity).

And, I'm sorry, but I don't believe you've used the system in the Infiniti. If you have, why don't you tell us a little about it? Beyond the touch screen issue, what is the difference in the menu structure between the Acura and Infiniti's? And, what commands on the Acura and Infiniti are available when the car is not a direct stop?

Final point is that I never said the Infiniti system is not "top notch." In fact, I'd rank the system in the current G35/M35 right below the Acura system. But, the Infiniti system is more difficult to use and program and its constrained features after the car is moving is a major, major pain and I'd far rather give up the touchscreen then surrender the ability to access those features.

Go to freshalloy.com and ask actual owners what they think of the system. They have a long thread over there about the potential for a class action lawsuit against Infiniti for disabling features on the NAV:

http://forums2.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=167536

I am currently investigating with a couple of high-profile law firms the feasibility of a class action lawsuit on behalf of all current and former Nissan/Infiniti owners who have, or had, OEM Navigation units in their vehicles.

The premise of the suit is that the in-motion lockout of certain key features of the Nav unit constitutes:

1. A denial of service (DOS), whereby Nissan/Infiniti sold certain features of the vehicle (the Nav unit, Bluetooth telephone directory, etc.) to customers as desirable extra-cost options, but then purposely configured the unit(s) to block access to certain features of these options while the vehicle is moving; and

2. An inconvenience to owners, whereby key features of the unit(s) are made available only if or when the owner stops the vehicle, thereby depriving the customer of some or all the beneficial features of the unit(s) for which the customer paid extra cost; and

3. A safety hazard, whereby stopping the vehicle on or near streets or highways to enter and/or retrieve guidance or other data constitutes a risk of personal injury to the operator, passengers of the vehicle, and other motorists and/or pedestrians;

And that Nissan/Infiniti incorporated this in-motion lockout:

1. Solely in an attempt to avoid perceived liabilities against itself, without due regard for the adverse aspects of that design; and

2. Without statistical basis for its [apparent] decision that operation of the unit(s) constitutes a hazard; and

3. Without due consideration of a history of successful operation of such units in competitors' vehicles, and operation of aftermarket Navigation units, without such in-motion lockout.

Nissan/Infiniti, by denying its customers access to these key features of the unit(s) while the vehicle is in motion, treats the unit(s) as a continuing "service", rather than as a tangible satellite receiver product purchased or leased by the customer, thereby denying the customer access to the use of a product after its purchase rather than relinquishing control of it.

The suit will seek the following remedies:

1. As yet undetermined monetary damages for DOS to current and former customers as described above, as well as for having put those customers at risk and inconvenience by causing them to stop their vehicles under potentially dangerous conditions and circumstances to enter or retrieve guidance or other information; and

2. Such software or hardware modifications as are necessary to remove the in-motion lockout restriction, at customers' option, on existing and future Navigation and Bluetooth telephone units in Nissan/Infiniti vehicles, at no cost to customers; and

3. Such other damages as the Court shall impose, including but not limited to attorneys' fees, court costs, and miscellaneous expenses necessary to the discharge of this complaint.
Old 10-28-2007 | 02:49 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Darth
The force is with you. You are dealing with just an overfed troll who is trying so badly to justify her car purchase. Her even being here constantly spewing negative crap speaks volumes about her personality and her character.

I can tell you this. I have driven Acura products (not including honda) for a total of 19 years and my maintenance has included a master brake cyl. and a couple EGR sensors, a couple batteries and two sets of rear brakes.... TOTAL.

I love driving my RDX more and more each day and I love it so much that I spent an extra 10K or so to get my wife another MDX just so she would stop driving my car!

Old 10-28-2007 | 04:19 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by XIS
Darth
The force is with you. You are dealing with just an overfed troll who is trying so badly to justify her car purchase. Her even being here constantly spewing negative crap speaks volumes about her personality and her character.

I can tell you this. I have driven Acura products (not including honda) for a total of 19 years and my maintenance has included a master brake cyl. and a couple EGR sensors, a couple batteries and two sets of rear brakes.... TOTAL.

I love driving my RDX more and more each day and I love it so much that I spent an extra 10K or so to get my wife another MDX just so she would stop driving my car!

You make me laugh, haha so rediculous.
Old 10-28-2007 | 04:23 PM
B A N N E D

A class action lawsuit doesn't mean they are right(or going to win), don't really feel like going forward but I will if I need to.
Old 10-29-2007 | 12:13 PM
Advanced

Having had 2 examples of Acura NAVI with the touchscreen and now the non-touchscreen RDX, I much prefer the non. I find navigating much easier with the joystick, and not having to wipe down the display to remove fingerprints is a major plus. The tactile feel of the joystick is awesome, reeks of precision. Regardless, having access to all of the functionality while moving is non-negotiable. Not even close.

AP, why do you spend so much time on this forum trying to make yourself feel better about your purchase by denigrating the RDX? Move on, for Pete's sake. My RDX is not perfect, far from it, but I'm happy with it every time I get behind the wheel.

Joe
Old 10-29-2007 | 01:03 PM
08 RDX CBP/Taupe/Base

More on the EX35.Very pricey for a fully loaded one up here in Canada.
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/bm/08ex35.htm
Old 10-29-2007 | 01:37 PM
Not an Ashtray

A class action lawsuit doesn't mean they are right(or going to win), don't really feel like going forward but I will if I need to.
The class action lawsuit is stupid, and can never win. If you buy a product with a know limitation or safty feature, you lose your right to complain later on. But, the more important aspect of that thread is that it shows how unhappy many Infiniti drivers are with that aspect of the navigation system. There are threads on EDMUNDS, Freshalloy, and every single Infiniti/Nissan forum I can find about drivers trying to mod their nav system so they can use features while moving. It is a total pain and every single driver I know that has a Nav system with lock-out while moving hates that feature and wants to change it. For some brands (like Lexus) there is an entire industry of aftermarket gizmos that defeat the lockout.

I dislike it myself. The other day, I was stuck in a traffic jam on the highway and I wanted to tell it to plot an alternative route so that I could go on local streets. But, the damn thing had locked me out even though I was probably going only 2 MPH. In my TSX, I could have simply hit "change method."

Anyway, nobody can tell me that systems with lockouts like that are more desirable than the systems in the Acura, M-B, and BMW lines (which don't have controls of that nature).

Right now, I've not made a choice between the RDX, X3, EX35 (which I have yet to see yet). But, of the three, there is no doubt which GPS I vastly prefer - the Acura. Yeah, I'd like to have a touch screen. But, the lockout is a far bigger issue for me - as it is for most drivers.

If the two vehicles are close in overall package, I'm going to go for the RDX. I use my GPS every day, and having had to deal with the limitations of the system in the G35, I'm not sure I'd want another vehicle with that problem.
Old 10-29-2007 | 02:38 PM
big shot.

Good luck with whatever you choose.....if the EX had more utility (back seat & cargo) it seems to be one gem of a vehicle. I would have heavily considered the EX as we.., but like the FX, its short on everyday utility and family moving
Old 10-29-2007 | 03:53 PM
mrgold35

It seems the EX is geared for double-income-no-kids (DINKs) couples with the occasional pet in the back that need more utility from a sedan; but, don’t want to make the leap to a full CUV/SUV. You might get one smaller kid in the back, forget about having two kids with this car.

I think the EX main competition is the G35, TL, IS-250/350, 3-series, and Audi sedans with some X3/Land Rover/RDX sales stolen. You get more utility from the EX compared to the other sedans in the same price range. The EX may be more of a Sport Activity Vehicle (SAV- performance over utility) compared to a CUV/SUV (utility over performance). I would consider the RDX and CX-7 a SAV also; but, they both have CUV/SUV body styling cues.

I would consider the EX type vehicle once the kid is out the house in 9 more years. Can't wait to be a DINK in 10 more years!
Old 10-29-2007 | 04:30 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by scudzuki
AP, why do you spend so much time on this forum trying to make yourself feel better about your purchase by denigrating the RDX? Move on, for Pete's sake. My RDX is not perfect, far from it, but I'm happy with it every time I get behind the wheel.
That's not why I post here.
Old 10-29-2007 | 04:32 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by mrgold35
It seems the EX is geared for double-income-no-kids (DINKs) couples with the occasional pet in the back that need more utility from a sedan; but, don’t want to make the leap to a full CUV/SUV. You might get one smaller kid in the back, forget about having two kids with this car.

I think the EX main competition is the G35, TL, IS-250/350, 3-series, and Audi sedans with some X3/Land Rover/RDX sales stolen. You get more utility from the EX compared to the other sedans in the same price range. The EX may be more of a Sport Activity Vehicle (SAV- performance over utility) compared to a CUV/SUV (utility over performance). I would consider the RDX and CX-7 a SAV also; but, they both have CUV/SUV body styling cues.

I would consider the EX type vehicle once the kid is out the house in 9 more years. Can't wait to be a DINK in 10 more years!
The EX will appeal to people that are in the FX35 no doubt(The FX35 HAS to move upmarket, and some of the owners might not want to go with), and certainly G35 owners that want a little more space, and a better ride.
Old 10-29-2007 | 05:13 PM
mrgold35

BMW will come out with its own EX type car to compete with RDX/TL/G35/IS soon:

BMW V5
Old 10-29-2007 | 05:23 PM
Advanced

That's not why I post here.
Then why do you? To educate us? Doesn't seem to be working. I assume there's a Mazda forum or two out there. Wouldn't your time be better served gloating over how much better of a deal you got on your CX-7 than the poor miscreants who bought an RDX?

I actually drove a CX-7 and a CX-9 right before I bought my RDX. Literally, as the Acura dealer is right next door. I came away somewhat impressed by both, as they both had their positive qualities. I went out that night only to drive the Mazdas. Since I was already there, I walked across the small strip of grass separating the Mazda and Acura dealerships, test drove the RDX, and was sufficiently impressed with it to buy it. I would have saved quite a few dollars by buying the CX-7, I just did not like it as much, but, despite what you post, you're not going to make me second guess my decision. Why don't you just go drive your Mazda and be happy?

Joe
Old 10-29-2007 | 06:22 PM
Intermediate

The EX and that BMW V5 look a great deal like station wagons. Funny thing, the market moved towards the "hipper" SUV away from the station wagon, and now it's slowing going back, being sold as a "SUV/sedan hybrid" sort of setup.
Old 10-29-2007 | 06:25 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by RDXJohnny
The EX and that BMW V5 look a great deal like station wagons. Funny thing, the market moved towards the "hipper" SUV away from the station wagon, and now it's slowing going back, being sold as a "SUV/sedan hybrid" sort of setup.
I'd see that as a positive thing. Personally, I have no need for an SUV. I don't really need ride height, or four wheel drive (although the SH-AWD system obviously has lots of advantages beyond traction in snowy conditions). What I do need is hauling capacity for camping equipment, carrying my bike, doing work on my house, etc.

I'd love a wagon like vehicle that doesn't compromise driving dynamics.
Old 10-29-2007 | 08:30 PM
haole kama'a-ina

I'd love a wagon like vehicle that doesn't compromise driving dynamics.
Audi S-4 Avant, if you can tolerate expensive and frequent maintenance. Or the Subaru WRX if you value reliability. Neither may have adequate capacity though.

I have similar requirements and found the RDX to be the best choice. It's weakest link dynamically speaking, are the MXM4 touring tires. I'll replace those with Yokahoma Advans later, for better grip.
Old 10-29-2007 | 08:55 PM
B A N N E D

Audi is coming out with a new variant of their AWD system that is pegged to be better than SH-AWD.
Aren't some Audi's reliable now! CR says so!
My A4, problem, Airbag light, fixed. Now Creeping up at 30K miles with no complaints.
Old 10-29-2007 | 09:17 PM
Not an Ashtray

I mentioned earlier that my sister has a new G35. She bought that after her Audi A4, with 40,000 miles on it, ran into serious reliablity issues. The last little episode had the A/C system dying. And, if you look at CR's reliablity data, the pattern with the A4 seems to be OK reliablity for a few years, and then a rapid decline at about year 4.

But, if you ignore reliablity for a moment, that vehicle would be ideal for my needs. Wonderful interior, Handles great. Nice looking too.

Audis are great cars, but like Beemers, you are probably better off leasing than buying.

Quick Reply: Motive First Drive: RDX vs. EX35 vs. X3