More Things I Dislike About the RDX

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 04:55 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ThePlainsman
Top Safety Pick also takes into account front, side and rollover testing. Testing by the NHTSA rates the Outlook identical to the RDX on those tests. I don't know about your IIHS organization. That's the insurance industry and they're crooks.
The insurance industry is a total scam to be sure but they do have a vested interest in knowing how likely you are to be injured in a particular vehicle. Well, their real interest is in how expensive your injuries might be, but they need to analyze potential injuries to determine their monetary weight first. It's generally accepted that the IIHS does the most extensive and applicable to the real world testing.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by cwepruk
A few GM cars are Epsilon based. G6, Malibu, Aura for starters.
Right, thank you. The question is regarding the blank space on the "Top Safety" list where these Epsilon domestics are missing. The 9-5 is proof that Epsilon can achieve the highest safety standard. Why has GM choosen NOT to equip the the domestics with the 9-5's safety features?

GM should be trying to protect their aging, undiscriminating buyer. That demographic is shrinking.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by F.Rizzo
Take my word for it

The RDX forum is NOT the place to voice any dissenting opinions on the car. Nobody here wants to hear it and will defend their purchase to the death!!!
?
This is absolutely not true. I don't own a RDX yet, and am still on the fence. But, from coming to this forum, I feel like I have a great sense of the pluses and minuses.

VERY balanced guys here - and throughout acurazine as a matter of fact.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:35 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darth62
This is absolutely not true. I don't own a RDX yet, and am still on the fence. But, from coming to this forum, I feel like I have a great sense of the pluses and minuses.

VERY balanced guys here - and throughout acurazine as a matter of fact.
+1. I totally agree. I was on the fence for a year and found this forum really helpful when talking pros/cons of the RDX. Try going onto a Subie forum (like i did for the Legacy) and see if you can get an objective answer. =)

I do like the Saturn Vue though but, IMO, the interiors feel quite cheap for the price. The new '08s do look like they improved quite a bit. The RDX is definitely short on a few things (my Ford Freestyle had more in terms of luxury options) but still one of the best values around.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:23 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I too think it's fairly balanced here. When people posted pics of the EX35, I was expecting the usual "Ugly, junk" typical responses, but it got relatively posituve reviews.

I think the basic features are something Acura does well on the RDX. Sunroof, HID's, 6 disc in dash, TPMS, 18's, AWD, heated leather, paddle shifters, bluetooth, aux input etc.

Sure, Dodge has cooled glove boxes and Ford has power liftgates, but they skimp on some of the basics IMO.

I was optioning out Ford Edges with less features (and performance) than the RDX for more money. CX-7 don't hold a candle to the RDX in terms of options except for intellikey.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:17 AM
2005 Acura TL

I thought Acura was an upscale brand?

Missing Features:

Ultrasonic park assist
Traction Control (?)
Power side mirrors
In-cabin rear hatch release button
Remote start
Power rear hatch
Heated seat backs (not just seat cushions)

I have all of the above in my Saturn Outlook XR. I wish I had them in my RDX. Is GM now more upscale than Acura?

The car has traction control integrated into the VSA. It has power mirrors. How can you say that a saturn is better than an acura. Iv owned 2 saturns and both broke down just after 100,000 miles. Ive owned 2 acuras, my first one i had 150k on it and never had to repair it. Unfortunatley I lost it in an accident. My acura now I expect to last me another 200k or more.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:22 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
And I could care less about any GM brand except the one that I own.
It's "I COULDN'T care less".
Old 12-15-2007, 09:02 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by proudacuraownr
The car has traction control integrated into the VSA. It has power mirrors. How can you say that a saturn is better than an acura. Iv owned 2 saturns and both broke down just after 100,000 miles. Ive owned 2 acuras, my first one i had 150k on it and never had to repair it. Unfortunatley I lost it in an accident. My acura now I expect to last me another 200k or more.
The RDX does not have power mirrors. I'm talking about power FOLDING mirrors. I could really use power folding mirrors when I get ready to pull into my garage, or when parking at a mall where the spaces are relatively narrow (to protect against the jerk who might walk or run past and smack into one of the mirrors). Instead, I have to manually fold them inward. A lux vehicle should have power folding mirrors.

That said, I'm quite pleased with my RDX. But I'm finding it difficult to accept the premise that Acura is a more upscale or upmarket brand than GM. I don't see it. Acura's flagship sedan doesn't even seat five adults. You have to be kidding me.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:13 AM
XIS
Lizard King

seating quantity and upscale have nothing to do with each other...

Get a school bus.... That will seat the most...

Old 12-15-2007, 09:23 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by XIS
seating quantity and upscale have nothing to do with each other...

Get a school bus.... That will seat the most...

Who in their right mind other than the filthy rich would spend 50-55K on a four door sedan that can't seat five adults? The RL is not a cheap sub-compact or a sport coupe. What were they thinking when they designed that car?
Old 12-15-2007, 10:58 AM
Go Buckeyes

Who in their right mind other than the filthy rich would spend 50-55K on a four door sedan that can't seat five adults? The RL is not a cheap sub-compact or a sport coupe. What were they thinking when they designed that car?
Maybe ther are people out there that want lux sedan and the really do not care that it does not seat five, maybe they only have 3 friends or family they travel with.
Also there are plenty of Lux Brands out there that can seat 5, so it is the buyers preference on there wants and needs. IMO
Old 12-15-2007, 02:55 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
GM hit a home run with the Lambda platform. The Buick Enclave version is more luxurious than a comparably sized Lexus and for 15-20K less money.
GM hasn't hit a home run since the COPO Camaro (COPO 9561), and Don Yenko practically forced their hand to do it from the factory or he would have done it at his dealership, that was 1969.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:17 PM
Acuras since 1988

My dislike is the fact that Acura engineers dont seem to be capable of figuring out a way to merge an Ipod with the wonderful sound system the RDX has.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

Originally Posted by black label
GM hasn't hit a home run since the COPO Camaro (COPO 9561), and Don Yenko practically forced their hand to do it from the factory or he would have done it at his dealership, that was 1969.
That reminds me...when i was at the SEMA show this year, there was a company that was manufacturing brand new Yenko 427 camaros. They have the O.E. Blocks, body parts, etc. They were amazing:

Old 12-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Safety Car

Ultrasonic Park Assist: Had this on my VW Touareg. Enables you to accurately get within an inch of something. Pretty cool when it works, but it was unreliable. I don't really miss it. The range marks on the back-up camera I would like to see Acura do.

Traction Control: Pretty well covered this; it's incorporated into VSA.

Power Folding Mirrors: Touareg had these as well. Quite useful approaching ATM machines, and in confined parking. I would have liked to have them, but they're not an RDX deal breaker.

In-cabin Hatch Release: Sorry, just don't understand this one. There's a release on the hatch.

Power Hatch: My Chrysler Town&Country had power sliding doors and hatch. They were so slow and emitted so many warning beeps, Chrysler must have been afraid the hatch would launch an unsuspecting grandma onto the roof of Home Depot. I could open and close a door three times before the motor got done. (I tried the power folding 3rd row seat on the Cadillac SRX; arghh, the kid would outgrow the seat before it opened.)

Heated Passenger Seat-back: Yeah, that would be nice. Other companies make it work. But not a deal breaker.

Auto Headlights: The Touareg and Chrysler had these. I believe automation of basic driver responsibilities removes the driver from the operational loop. We're making drivers less aware of their primary duty.

Auto Wipers: see above.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Auto Headlights: The Touareg and Chrysler had these. I believe automation of basic driver responsibilities removes the driver from the operational loop. We're making drivers less aware of their primary duty.
If you're consistent then you must be opposed (as I am) to DRLs that you can't turn off. Making sure you drive safely, i.e. knowing when you should turn on exterior lights, isn't that the driver's primary duty?
Old 12-15-2007, 09:46 PM
Intermediate

If you're consistent then you must be opposed (as I am) to DRLs that you can't turn off. Making sure you drive safely, i.e. knowing when you should turn on exterior lights, isn't that the driver's primary duty?
Dude...you have way too much time on your hands.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Safety Car

Granted, GM gave DRLs a deservedly bad launch 15 years ago. But the RDX DRLs are neither glaring nor offensive.

Originally Posted by 737 Jock
Honda's system of 50% power high-beam DRL (<1200 candela):

does not throw distracting glare into viewing driver's vision,

does not compromise emergency vehicle recognition,

does not compromise the use of bright flash-to-pass for signaling other drivers,

does not mask or inhibit turn signal recognition,

minimizes masking effect of vulnerable road users (motorcycles),

does not throw sufficient light for night operation, thus insuring the driver will activate headlights/taillights during darkness.
What possible safety based objection could you have to them????
Old 12-16-2007, 08:49 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Don't feed the trolls....
Old 12-16-2007, 09:54 AM
Advanced

Thumbs down

You know, Plainsman, I thought Lexus was an upscale brand too. But why does its much more expensive RX350 not have things that the RDX has, such as:
torque vectoring AWD
standard steering wheel mounted manual shift feature
mirror mounted turn signals
standard memory driver seat (it's optional.)
standard 18'' wheels (again optional)
Bluetooth (again optional).

The point is that every model is going to lack something that another has and vice versa. Get over it!
Old 12-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Alpha Geek

Be very careful what you say about the RL...I have one, and my 6'8" 250lb frame fits just fine, as well as the rest of my basketball team, and I paid closer to $40k thn I did $50k for it new.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lumpulus
Be very careful what you say about the RL...I have one, and my 6'8" 250lb frame fits just fine, as well as the rest of my basketball team, and I paid closer to $40k thn I did $50k for it new.
Why should I be careful what i say? Truth is truth. I'm 5'10" and I couldn't sit in the middle of the second row seat without bending my head down several inches and still knocked against the ceiling.

I don't care how tall you are, you and nobody else other than a child is sitting in the middle of the second row.

Don't get me wrong, I think the RL is a fine automobile, but it doesn't seat five adults. Period.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:41 PM
Acuras since 1988

i had a RL, I the Plainsman is correct. Five adults cannot travel comfortably anywhere.
Maybe lumpulus's basketball team is height impaired.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:56 PM

Why should I be careful what i say? Truth is truth. I'm 5'10" and I couldn't sit in the middle of the second row seat without bending my head down several inches and still knocked against the ceiling.

I don't care how tall you are, you and nobody else other than a child is sitting in the middle of the second row.

Don't get me wrong, I think the RL is a fine automobile, but it doesn't seat five adults. Period.

Because your ignorance is getting tiring for everyone. Why would you generalize that anyone who buys an RL is either "Filthy Rich" or out of their right mind? Your points are fine - does not seat 5 - but what does that have to do with the person?

Wait - - - - before you go typing, re-read your offensive post. Try to understand why others are using the word "troll" before you come out swinging again...
Old 12-17-2007, 11:56 PM
Intermediate

I don't get this thread at all. If you don't like where the Honda engineers put their money in the RDX, don't buy one. If you already have one, do a better job of researching next time (or do SOME research). Personally I could give a rats' about most of the things you mention; all I really considered when buying my RDX was how it drove, looked, cost to own, and value. The RDX has all of those things, and I'm glad I didn't pay more for a bunch of garbage I don't want.

And as for the RL....who gives a crap if it seats 5 adults comfortably? I can't think of a single vehicle that I'd actually like to sit Bitch in...car, truck, SUV, it doesn't exist. Some less than others. In the case of the RL, it's supposed to be a sports sedan; not an ultracomfortable people mover. It has seats in the back to add functionality to a sporty luxury car, not as a primary feature. Just because it isn't the car for you doesn't mean it isn't a good car.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:04 AM
El Chulo...

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Unhappy

If you dont like the RDX or Acura, trade it in for an Explorer or something... Don't complain here ...
Old 12-18-2007, 08:23 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
the RL is one of the best kept secrets at its price point. Carbon fiber drive shaft, specific paint process seperate and apart from all other acuras....the touches are there for people who actually 1. know about them and 2. Understand and appreciate them. the RL isnt meant to be a status symbol like the L, Benz, or the BMW's white n blues....(at least not yet). One thing i have always loved about Acura owners and the brand, the people are smart, they know what they want, and they are there for other reasons than branding and status, hence all the comments that permeate this board about value, resale, std features, reliability, and design cues that are neither offensive or vanilla, but edgy and just right.

As for the plainsman and his Saturn, you spent 41k on a feature laden vehicle that has yet to show any of the above characteristics that will prove its 41k in the long term. Other than having 7 seats, an ML350, FX45, X3, and the Lexus RX can be had. all superb. they might not be all "tricked out" as your saturn (great selling points to move a car, but nonethe less pointless when you get into resale/reliability/ and mechanical soundness) but imports will be better vehicles across the board up and down....so far, maybe in time the Saturn will prove itself, but, for present, its got a long way to go before becoming worthy. enjoy the saturn and the gadgets (not being a dick here)
Old 12-18-2007, 08:24 AM
Advanced

Goodbye, Plainsman! We'll miss you! Don't let the door hit you on the way out!
Old 12-18-2007, 08:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Plainsman, you like your Outlook. Great! Good for you. But realize that there are different strokes for different folks.

You were looking for a basic people carrier with a lot of amenities. It does not need to be fun, sporty, or rewarding to drive. Good for you, but that is not what the RDX is.

Different cars are targeted at different people with different needs. What GM offers in terms of amenities, it did not need to spend on suspension and chassis development, whereas Honda put its efforts towards a lot of research and spending in those areas.

So while sharing your opinion is fine, do not defend it blindly like a stubborn mule without realizing that what you're championing is not what most people who would buy the RDX are looking for.

As for the RL, again, not everyone needs to carry around 5 people. There are lots of people like my friend who bought the CLS55 AMG for $85k. He can't really carry 5 people comfortably either. Heck, he can barely carry 4 adults comfortably in that car. Does it make it any less qualified of a car? Absolutely not. Did it meet his requirements and his needs? Absolutely.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stevenm
i had a RL, I the Plainsman is correct. Five adults cannot travel comfortably anywhere.
Thank you. You seem to be one of the few in this thread who can actually read. Many of my "critics" - like F.Rizzo - have stooped to literally making up words that I never said. My criticism was directed at Acura not at Acura buyers. Acura could sell a lot more RLs if the vehicle could seat as many as a TL.

I love my RDX as much as my Outlook. I just don't get the RL. What a waste of an otherwise first rate "flagship" sedan.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:33 PM

Thank you. You seem to be one of the few in this thread who can actually read. Many of my "critics" - like F.Rizzo - have stooped to literally making up words that I never said. My criticism was directed at Acura not at Acura buyers. Acura could sell a lot more RLs if the vehicle could seat as many as a TL.

I love my RDX as much as my Outlook. I just don't get the RL. What a waste of an otherwise first rate "flagship" sedan.

Point out where I have been "making up words I have never said" please.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:20 AM
Acuras since 1988

The only way the RL could seat more people is to make it bigger, then its no longer a sports sedan. The RL is a great value. I put about 350,000 between the two rls i owned.
Tires, brakes, and oil basically the whole way. Great car Also no hype, or pretense, like BMW, and Mercede, just a good solid car, backed by excellent affordable service. I would have bought a third, but I fell for the RDX right away, was ready for a change, and didnt want something as big as a MDX
Old 12-19-2007, 08:32 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
RL is changing for 2009, along with the rest of the sedans....enter the RL some people have been waiting for...a bigger more spacious back seat and possible V8 to compete with the big kids.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:37 AM
Intermediate

What a waste of an otherwise first rate "flagship" sedan.
Is there a law, either written or unwritten that says a sedan HAS to be able to COMFORTABLY carry 5 6' 5" adults comfortably to qualify for a sedan???

Plainsman, your criticism toward the RL is valid, but remember you are an an ACURA message board so tact in how you express your opinion is a must. If you said "It's a nice car, but why didn't they design it for 5??" I'd guarantee we wouldn't have an issue here, in fact you'd probably get some who would agree with you. Saying it is a worthless POS and assuming EVERYONE is like you and NEEDS seating for 5 is a bit arrogant and is just asking for trouble. If we were all at an Acura get together would you say the RL "Is a waste of a flagship sedan" knowing that there are people standing around you that have keys in their pocket for that car? Of course not! Why say it on an Acura message board then?

For me, I cannot think of the last time I've had 5 adults in my car, so for me if I was in the market for a sedan, your criticism would mean absolutely zero in my decision. Different strokes for different folks my man.
cheers
R
Old 12-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Safety Car

Who in their right mind other than the filthy rich would spend 50-55K on a four door sedan that can't seat five adults?.....What were they thinking when they designed that car?
The RL must be intended for the poorer cousins of the morons who would spend 180 grand on a Bentley Continental Flying Spur:

I hear ya tho'....I was gonna get a Miata to pull my horse trailer, but the #@%* thing just dies pulling up hills.....!@%$# Mazda!
Old 12-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know of any sedan (or 5 seat SUV) that can confortably carry three people in the back. The middle man is always squished simply based on vehicle width.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:53 PM
Drifting

I don't know of any sedan (or 5 seat SUV) that can confortably carry three people in the back. The middle man is always squished simply based on vehicle width.
I've seen some Cadys and Buicks that can relatively comfortably seat 4 (!!!) in the back. I'm sure they handle about as well as your living room couch though.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:13 PM
Instructor

My wife inherited a Buick LeSabre that hauled six adult-sized people. The back seat was very comfortable with three. And I have a 2002 Altima V6 that I've used to haul three average-sized adults in the back seat for years.

The Acura TL carries three in the back. You may be a bit squished for shoulder room but at least the guy in the middle seat can sit upright without his head hitting the ceiling. Not so with the RL.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:04 AM
XIS
Lizard King

BFD, Troll......

Uh, RDX forum. Get it?
Old 12-20-2007, 06:24 AM
Alpha Geek

Originally Posted by Stevenm
Nope, shortest guy is 6'3" and I've never had any complaints from them about lack of height or legroom, in fact just the opposite.

Quick Reply: More Things I Dislike About the RDX