Mobil 1 synthetic absolutely necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mobil 1 synthetic absolutely necessary?

Is Mobil 1 absolutely necessary for the RDX turbocharged engine? I know that Honda claims that only Mobil 1 meets their HTO-06 criteria for engine oil. I use Mobil 1 oil in my other car, and have been pleased with it's performance. But my experience with synthetic oil, is that, if you are not racing your engine, synthetics like Pennzoil Platinum and Valvoline SynPower, is just as good. The Acura technicians can't really test the oil to see if it's Mobil 1 or some other branded synthetic, but if I keep to the typical 8,000kms or every six months for the oil change interval, would it not be okay to use the synthetics like Valvoline or Pennzoil?
Old 03-25-2007, 07:21 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't we all want to know?

Man, I think everybody has the same question. Supposedly, Mobil formulated the oil inconjunction with Honda, specifically to prevent issues (caking) with the high heat generated by the turbo. Seems like Honda is pretty conservative though; protecting their reputation for durability. Seems like they are running the fuel pretty rich, to also keep it cool. Perhaps they will lean it out in the future. Will be interesting to see how long people will get on their oil changes, with % meter. Would love to know how it works; assume it's mearsuring opacity, but don't really know.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:28 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mav238
Is Mobil 1 absolutely necessary for the RDX turbocharged engine? I know that Honda claims that only Mobil 1 meets their HTO-06 criteria for engine oil. I use Mobil 1 oil in my other car, and have been pleased with it's performance. But my experience with synthetic oil, is that, if you are not racing your engine, synthetics like Pennzoil Platinum and Valvoline SynPower, is just as good. The Acura technicians can't really test the oil to see if it's Mobil 1 or some other branded synthetic, but if I keep to the typical 8,000kms or every six months for the oil change interval, would it not be okay to use the synthetics like Valvoline or Pennzoil?
The only requirement is that you use an oil that meets the HTO-06 standard. I believe there are a few others out there, but I do not know which ones. Here is a link to a pdf of a brochure which I actually got when they delivered my RDX...
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=re...HjHuzWJS4ze5mg

Notice even this brochure, from Mobile suggests at least two other brands that comply with the standard. I imagine Acura does not want their turbo coking up immediately after the warranty period, something many other manufacturers would be okay with. Your probably right, no one would really be able to tell even if you use a synthetic that does not meet specifications, but that sounds like the path of the penny wise pound foolish to me.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:40 PM
Racer

A question to consider here is: will using a cheaper alternative to Mobil 1 be worth the potential risks involved? Mobil oils are pretty damn amazing, and I am willing to drop a few bucks more for them.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Pennzoil Platinum is also HTO-06 certified....
Old 03-26-2007, 12:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sasair
Pennzoil Platinum is also HTO-06 certified....

How do we know this?

I just bought a few jugs of Pennzoil Platinum 5W30, didn't see the HTO-06 designation on the label. Only GM, Ford and BMW.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:10 PM
Racer

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...1_Brochure.pdf

This is the flyer that came with my RDX...I am pretty sure everyone gets one, but thought I'd link anyways.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by oasis3582
http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...1_Brochure.pdf

This is the flyer that came with my RDX...I am pretty sure everyone gets one, but thought I'd link anyways.

Thanks, but I was referring to the question of "how do we know if synthetic oils like Pennzoil" is compatible with the Honda HTO-06 requirement.

I agree with one poster here regarding saving the $2.00 per Litre of not using Mobil 1 is not worth it, if we are not definitely sure if other branded synthetics do not meet the same HTO-06 criteria.

I typically change the engine in my cars @ 10,000kms or every 6 months. So spending the extra $30.00 a year, just to use Mobil 1, is probably not much at all. But if Pennzoil does meet the HTO-06 criteria, then I already have 5 jugs of it sitting in my garage.

So does anyone know if Pennzoil also meets HTO-06 criteria?
Old 03-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Okay... I just got off the phone with a rep @ shell USA, the same company that sells Pennzoil oil as well, he will be sending me a company printed document, indicating that Pennzoil Platinum synthetic meets the HTO-06 requirement from Honda.

Will post it when I get it.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:54 PM
Burning Brakes

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 11:54 PM
To: Fonseca, Murray R SLUBE-DLM/4C; Hull, Kristopher S SLUBE-DLU/88
Cc: MAHONEY-SANTRY, PEGGY SLUBE-DLM/4B; Finn, Frank D SIPC-DLE8
Subject: FW: Shell HTO-06

Murray, Kristopher,
We have received formal approval on Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 as [Honda/Acura HTO-06] .

The background:
Honda launched turbo-charged engine in US market this July.
Honda has some axiety to generate carbon, when driver will use law quality engine oils available in the market.
To minimise the risk, Honda use Mobil-1 as initial fill oil, and recommended several baranded oils in the market for aftermarket.
Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 (new version) has been passed thier specification and allowed to print approval code (HTO-06) on the label.
They will put HTO-06 in their owners handbook as well. At present, the approval is valid in USA and Canada.

Action to be taken:
Honda advised me to toutch Mr.Jeff Jetter (based in LA), who may introduce Mr.Tim R Jones of AHM.
I know Jeff, and will ask him to arrage the meeting with you and Tim, to talk about label and market issues.
Please inform me who is the appropriate person to handle these issue to talk (at least labelling isssue )

All,
This is the small step in US market of Honda, but first step to start the business relationship with AHM.

SAM S

-----Original Message-----
From: Hiroki_Yamamoto@n.t.rd.honda.co.jp [mailto:Hiroki_Yamamoto@n.t.rd.
honda.co.jp]
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 12:02 PM
To: Sakaguchi, Masami SHOSHEL-MK/LBD;
Wataru_Hoshikawa@n.t.rd.honda.co.jp
Cc: Fujitsu, Takashi SHOSHEL-GSML/10; Nagatomi, Eiji E SHOSHEL-RD/LAB;
Tim_R_Jones@ahm.honda.com; JJetter@hra.com;
Hideki_Tanaka@n.t.rd.honda.co.jp; Masashi_Maruyama@n.t.rd.honda.co.jp
Subject: Shell HTO-06

Sakaguchi-san,

New Pennzoil Platinum was passed HTO-06 requirement.
Honda R&D issued specification as official technical approval.

(See attached file: 0820ZRWCA040M3.pdf)

Next step shall be agreement on business side with American Honda Motors.
It will include label design and how to appeal to customer.

So, please contact Tim R Jones of AHM. (I think may be Jeff can support
this issue)
And if you may, please will inform us the status of contact with AHM.

Best Regards, Hiroki Yamamoto
------------------------------
HONDA R&D 3G2E
TEL +81-28-677-3377 EXT38295

*Japanese
このメールには機密情報が含まれる可能性があります。
内容の転送・コピー・プリント等 取り扱いには十分ご注意下さい。
また、このメールを間違って受信された場合は、直ちに送信者まで
お知らせいただき、受信されたメールを削除下さい。

*English
The information contained in this email message
may be confidential information.
Please be careful if you forward, copy or print this message.
If you have received this email in error, please immediately
advise the sender by return email and delete the message.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a pdf file to attach, can anyone tell me know to attach to a post?

This pdf file apparently indicates the testing done on Pennzoil Platinum 5W30.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:49 PM
Intermediate

I'm sure that the Motul V300 is certified for HTO-06 requirementes, but that sucker is like $40.00 for a two liter can.

William
Old 03-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

How do we know this?

I just bought a few jugs of Pennzoil Platinum 5W30, didn't see the HTO-06 designation on the label. Only GM, Ford and BMW.
It's on their website.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sasair
It's on their website.

I checked, it is not on the www.pennzoil.com website.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

I checked, it is not on the www.pennzoil.com website.
It was on their website in a press release back in november.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:29 AM
Cruisin'

Amsoil does not meet the new standard

I've been using Amsoil in my TL-S and was going to continue using it in my RDX.

However, I wrote to Amsoil re the new standard and they responded back stating that none of their oils meet the new standard.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mander11
I've been using Amsoil in my TL-S and was going to continue using it in my RDX.

However, I wrote to Amsoil re the new standard and they responded back stating that none of their oils meet the new standard.

Amsoil is a very good oil, albeit an expensive one as well. But although it doesn't officially meet the HTO-06 standard, it will most likely be fine to use it in the RDX. It is just because no official testing was done on the Amsoil synthetic to determine if it is HTO-06 compatible, and thus it does not mean it is not.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:14 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Its recommended so whynot. Unless you absolutely can't find Mobile 1.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:05 PM
10th Gear

Mobil 1 oil

I went to a Jiffy Lube and they put 10W-30 Mobile 1 oil in. The manual says to use 5W-30 oil. I live in Texas and it's summer so should I bother changing it out? Can't take it back to Juffy lube because I was on he road... 500 miles from home.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
You will be fine. Its just a lil thicker oil.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:28 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

I would stick w/ the one they say in the manual directly...
Old 06-25-2007, 01:32 PM
Photographer

another reason not to go to those kinds of places. they cant even read the letters and numbers on the damn oil cap! jeezzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 06-25-2007, 02:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyjumpman23
I would stick w/ the one they say in the manual directly...

Its not going to do any damage. The TL says 5w30 I use 10w30 all the time. Thicker oil better lubricates. With thinner oils there is less emissions and slighty better fuel economy, but nothing huge.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:36 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

I'm not questioning what you use dnd...Im simply giving my opinion on what the person asked...
You can use whatever oil you rub over yourself...haha...
whatever works ya know?
usually on a basis...people go w/ the manual..and some other people have a better experience with different things, that what makes the world go...
Old 06-25-2007, 03:50 PM
RDX Tech - Bronze/Ebony

Given that you're in Texas, you needn't worry about the 5W or the 10W. It's the 30 that you're most interested in. The first number refers to the oil's viscosity when cold and the second when the oil is warm. The W stands for Winter, not weight.

See Oil Viscosity for more information.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pmaggan
Given that you're in Texas, you needn't worry about the 5W or the 10W. It's the 30 that you're most interested in. The first number refers to the oil's viscosity when cold and the second when the oil is warm. The W stands for Winter, not weight.

...he beat me to it! You have nothing to worry about down there in that heat of TX! You'll be fine till the next oil change.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:16 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Amsoil is a very good oil, albeit an expensive one as well. But although it doesn't officially meet the HTO-06 standard, it will most likely be fine to use it in the RDX. It is just because no official testing was done on the Amsoil synthetic to determine if it is HTO-06 compatible, and thus it does not mean it is not.
I would say the same for Redline synthetic & Royal Purple synthetic oils. But all are more expensive & Mobil 1 is usually more avail. I just stick w/ mobil 1! (See my DIY on oil changes!)
Old 06-25-2007, 09:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pmaggan

Right on, right on, a light house in the fog………especially in Sugar Land…you might look at 5W come winter in Amarillo…
Old 06-25-2007, 09:54 PM
10th Gear

I was mainly concerned that Acura would void my warrenty... could it be an issue.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PANG_CO
Right on. And the speed limit is 55 so I bet you don't drive 1 mile over that limit because that is what the sign says. It's recommended so why not.

So why do we belive what one sign tells us an not the other. Is it possible Mobile paid money to Honda recommend only there brand of oil? I know on the last several new cars I purchased, I always get information with the owners manual telling only a specific brand tire or battery should be used as a replacement. It's amazing the BS people belive with the right advertising.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:58 PM
Racer

I would skimp on the premium gas before I skimped on the synthetic oil in my RDX.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:03 AM
Meat Popsicle

Wink

Originally Posted by turboted
Right on. And the speed limit is 55 so I bet you don't drive 1 mile over that limit because that is what the sign says. It's recommended so why not.

So why do we belive what one sign tells us an not the other. Is it possible Mobile paid money to Honda recommend only there brand of oil? I know on the last several new cars I purchased, I always get information with the owners manual telling only a specific brand tire or battery should be used as a replacement. It's amazing the BS people belive with the right advertising.

So don't use it.

Do you honestly think that the people on this board don't think that Honda signs buisness agreements with other vendors like Mobil or Michelin? I think that you are reading something into the earlier posts. Most people are not under the impression that some boutique oil will make a performance difference in a pedestrian vehicle like the RDX. Just follow the engine requirements and keep it clean.

I am sure that you would not expect that Honda would go through the certification process with every lube and tire vendor out of the goodness of their hearts. I think they build these cars to make money.

Just be prepared to show some proof of what you put in your crankcase if you ruin a cam and expect Honda to repair it for free.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PANG_CO
I agree. I see very little to gain by not using it, and very much to lose if a major warranty issue comes up. Pick a more important battle to fight.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lederermc
I was mainly concerned that Acura would void my warrenty... could it be an issue.
After 10, 20, 30 oil changes? There will be no way for them to know.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:27 PM
Photographer

Originally Posted by turboted

haha wtf that is a very bad analogy. first of all the speed limit isnt recommended, its the LAW...

it is possible that Mobil1 paid Honda to recommend their oil, who knows! maybe Honda ran tests and found out that Mobil1 performs better in their cars than any other brands of oil. in any case Honda recommends it. i mean who are they to know what works best for theirs cars right, they are just a BIG automotive company...
Old 06-26-2007, 07:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DNPhotography
haha wtf that is a very bad analogy. first of all the speed limit isnt recommended, its the LAW...

it is possible that Mobil1 paid Honda to recommend their oil, who knows! maybe Honda ran tests and found out that Mobil1 performs better in their cars than any other brands of oil. in any case Honda recommends it. i mean who are they to know what works best for theirs cars right, they are just a BIG automotive company...
So what is better Coke or Pepsi. It's what taste good to you.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:09 PM
07 RDX White w/tech

Whats the big deal ?

I dont get it. If you can spend almost 40g on a car and the cost for 20mpg with premium fuel, whats wrong with the few extra dollars Mobil 1 would cost over pennzoil, etc.?

They require it because Mobil is well tested by Honda for no deposits -the turbo runs very hot causing deposits if u use an oil without the necessary detergents etc.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:10 AM
Intermediate

Mobil makes all of hondas fluids and factory fill oils...I deliver the stuff to our honda dealer from our lube shop all the time.... Exxon/Mobil is also in ownership with shell,Pennzoil,Quaker state, and some other generic brands.. they also make Motorcraft oils for FORD. I use Mobil 1 10/30 syn for the Acura and Mobil 15/50 for my turbo Vdub since it gets more abuse than the RDX..
Old 06-29-2007, 09:59 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by kevmiami
Man, I think everybody has the same question. Supposedly, Mobil formulated the oil inconjunction with Honda, specifically to prevent issues (caking) with the high heat generated by the turbo. Seems like Honda is pretty conservative though; protecting their reputation for durability. Seems like they are running the fuel pretty rich, to also keep it cool. Perhaps they will lean it out in the future. Will be interesting to see how long people will get on their oil changes, with % meter. Would love to know how it works; assume it's mearsuring opacity, but don't really know.
I doubt that they use any physical measure of the oil itself! The oil life indicator is probably some cmbination of miles and engine useage (hours or rpms or something). My RDX is just over 2 weeks old and has 480 miles and the oil indicator says 90% meaning I have used 10% of my oil life.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:22 AM
Burning Brakes

I figure it is a non-linear rev counter. Basically it would count engine revolutions and apply a correction factor based on temperature, load, engine speed, etc. So high load, low oil temperature high engine speed revolutions count more than revolutions at idle after the engine warms up.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:58 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by brizey
I figure it is a non-linear rev counter. Basically it would count engine revolutions and apply a correction factor based on temperature, load, engine speed, etc. So high load, low oil temperature high engine speed revolutions count more than revolutions at idle after the engine warms up.

This is correct...Hondas have had oil change readers since about 94, the originals were just connected to the odometer but all the new ones are computer controlled to mileage/driving conditions

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 synthetic absolutely necessary?