MID Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 06:05 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MID Question

I'm curious how the MID works when you do service before the reminder comes on and what that means for later MID service reminders.

Background:
So when I first got my 2009 RDX 5 months ago I did most of the recommended fluid changes like engine oil, AT, transfer case and brake. Also changed out the cabin and engine air. Didn't do rear differential but plan to do that in a couple of days. At this time (5 months ago) the car had 64k in mileage.

Question:
I'm at 68.3k right now and the MID is showing a B1 code. I know this is engine oil and tire rotation. The oil says it has 10% left. So I'm assuming the MID was not aware 4k miles ago that the fluids were changed and really I don't need to change the oil for another 3-4k?

I just want to confirm that the MID is in fact unaware that these fluids were changed. What I'm thinking is that I leave the MID throwing a B1 code until I do actually change the oil and then maybe it will be back in sync. Is this the best way to get the MID in sync with what is really going on with the maintenance?
Old 10-06-2015, 07:46 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,532 Likes on 1,193 Posts
I think the M.I.D. will show associated number code maint when the oil change is due. If you reset the M.I.D. with "B1", only the "B1" items will be reset. I do all my maint at Acura and they should have the ability to go into each individual code and reset if you do maint early. Depending if you did the work yourself or another mechanic other than Acura; there is a good chance the M.I.D. wasn't reset for the extra/early maint you did.

I did the same preventive maint with Acura when I purchased my RDX and MDX used. I do send an email to my service manager when I schedule service to let him know what I've done myself (rotations, balance, air/cabin filters, brake flush, alignments, wipers). He is pretty good at entering the info in the database.
The following users liked this post:
domester (10-08-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 09:16 PM
10th Gear

Thanks mrgold. It sounds like the MID definitely has to be reset every time a service is done or it will be off sync. I took it to a smaller shop so there isn't a chance they reset the MID when doing the preventative stuff.

Sounds like my only options are going to the dealer or finding someone who is capable of resetting individual MID codes if I want it to be in sync. Or just resetting every time one comes up and keeping track of my service needs on my own. Is it only the dealer that can reset MID codes before they come up as a service reminder? Like since I had the AT fluid done recently, if I wanted to set that in the MID then I would need that to happen at the dealer? Hopefully that makes sense. I'd just love to get in sync with the MID so when it tells me I need a service I actually need it.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:51 AM
1st Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by domester
Thanks mrgold. It sounds like the MID definitely has to be reset every time a service is done or it will be off sync.
Honda technician here. This is correct, the maintenance minder system has no way of knowing when services are done. You can reset the system yourself, but only for the codes it is currently showing. Any honda or acura dealer can go in and reset individual sub codes, and they can input the mileages that the service was completed. They may or may not charge for you this. Some independent repair shops may have this ability, with the right scan tool.
The following 3 users liked this post by daninmissouri:
domester (10-08-2015), Makordx (10-09-2015), mrgold35 (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 11:48 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by daninmissouri
Honda technician here. This is correct, the maintenance minder system has no way of knowing when services are done. You can reset the system yourself, but only for the codes it is currently showing. Any honda or acura dealer can go in and reset individual sub codes, and they can input the mileages that the service was completed. They may or may not charge for you this. Some independent repair shops may have this ability, with the right scan tool.
Really appreciate the clarification Dan! Looks like its back to the dealer as a last resort.