May Be Purchasing 2007 RDX

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 07:26 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May Be Purchasing 2007 RDX

Hi Everyone,

We are thinking about purchasing a 07 RDX and hope we are making a good choice! Our last purchase ended in a nightmare, after 2.5 years owning a 03 Land Rover (Freelander) the engine blew up...if we would of done our research we wouldn't been in the situation we are in now. Anyway what's done is done and we have to move forward. So we are wondering what the maintenance cost is for the 07 RDX? I've read good reviews about the RDX however not sure about the cost to maintain the vehicle. Our Land Rover was costly to maintain and don't want to go back into another costly expensive.

We would greatly appreciate feed back from RDX AcuraZine community owners.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-15-2010, 10:36 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
dealer oil changes are generally around 70-80 bucks. rear differential changes every 30k or so, generally, and outside of that expect normal service pricing. If you can change your own in cabin air filter and engine filter, which are really simple procedures, you will save a bunch of money as well. Acura dealers (not sure where you live) but in the new england area ask 90 bucks for cabin filter and around 120 for the engine filter so .... if you are talking about like problematic costs, such as mechanical failures etc, im pretty sure there have not been any of significance reported on this board, no mega problems.

not sure how many ppl on the board have put on 50, 60k, they could give you a better idea as to what to expect for a higher mileage RDX since you are buying an 07. Mine has 32,500k on it and outside of oil changes and 1 rear diff fluid change, thats all its received. The cabin filter can be bought online from 10-20 bucks, and the engine filter for around 20-25 bucks. Search the forum as many people have posted service costs for the RDX as well as procedures to install things - it runs on a maintenance minder schedule programmed into the on board computer showing you various Letters & #'s which call for different services. Like A1,2, or B etc. Its better to address service for the car AS YOU NEED IT and not the general service schedule where the dealer will include a lot of useless checking, what am i saying; if u need an oil change just get an oil change and the RDX should generally be easy to maintain.

The only gripe i have is the 80 dollar oil change w/an Acura dealer. Not counting any discounts etc. the RDX takes only fully synthetic oil, the dealer uses Mobil 1, and you will pay a little more getting oil done @ the dealer or anywhere else. A few discount places ive gotten prices of around 50-60 bucks
Old 05-15-2010, 06:08 PM
Instructor

I have an 07 RDX and a Jaguar. The local Jaguar dealer is also the local Land Rover dealer. Service there costs four arms and three legs.

Service at the Acura dealership is much less than at the Jaguar/Rover dealership, but I've found a VERY reliable independent Honda/Acura service garage that does EXCELLENT work much cheaper than the Acura dealership. And I think I've discovered that some Acura maintenance parts are identical to Honda maintenance parts, but carry a higher price.

The only work I have done at the Acura dealership is the rare warranty work, and they do an exceptional job.

I've also found that the local Acura dealership usually tries to charge higher prices than posted MSRP prices for parts, but when challenged with OEM internet prices, will quickly match them. When that fails, I've found the Internet pricing quoted by Acura dealerships mentioned on this forum have very competitive pricing.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:35 AM
Instructor

I have been very happy with my 2007 RDX,although
gas mileage is not the greatest.I have had no major
problems,just general maintenance.Love to drive it!
Old 05-18-2010, 04:03 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by buckeye#1
I have been very happy with my 2007 RDX,although
gas mileage is not the greatest.I have had no major
problems,just general maintenance.Love to drive it!
I have to agree with the previous post. I also own a 2007, with the tech package. I got a dealer demo with 8k on the clock. I am up to about 40K.
I can tell you what I have spent money on:
- Oil changes (don't know how many)
- 1 Rear dif fluid change, one of them around 14K miles
- 1 cabin and 1 engine filter changes, that I purchased online and replaced myself.
Warranty work:
- 1 electrical fuse
- lug nuts that rusted replaced
- Rear hatch strut mounting brackets (rusted)
- Center dash speaker (after complaining 4-5 times about buzzzzzing they finally decided that it needed replacing, even though there was a service bulletin regarding the issue)
Not bad I think....

I don't think that there have been posts of engine failure, or gearboxes, or really "important" parts breaking down in these cars. It's bound to happen eventually, but nothing yet. The biggest complaints are the fuel consumption, tire wear, and brake fading.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:34 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
my wipers have gone haywire, wont turn off, intermittent is whenever it wants, and if i put them on intermittent, usually they will just stay 100% on, thats been one of a few electrical hiccups
Old 05-25-2010, 03:44 PM
2nd Gear

I'm in the same boat. I'm coming from a lemon of an M3. I am going to pick up a 2007 without any worries. I used to own a 93 integra, and a few honda's. The land rover stories are all too common such as your unfortunately. I don't forecast much issues as Acura from my experience, have that honda reliability as well.