Manual Passenger Seat

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 03:23 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual Passenger Seat

For the last few months, I was totally looking forward to getting the RDX when it comes out this year. After seeing the new specs, my excitement is almost down to zero.

Does anyone else besides me find that it is completely UNACCEPTABLE that the RDX has manual passenger seat?!!!

What is Acura thinking? Why would anyone buy a "luxury" car (even if it is "entry level luxury") with manual passenger seat. Both Lexus and Infiniti don't have manual seats in any of their fleet. To bring the BMW X3 into comparison is a total farce!!

What will Acura think of next... A/C and radio as an option?

I hope for their sakes, Acura will include power passenger (even it's only 4-way) as an option. It may be too much to ask for, I hope it will happen not for next year, but this year!!!

Otherwise, I say this is the dealbreaker.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:28 AM
10th Gear

Sorry to rant so much but I have to mention this...

I have been raving to all my friends and family about getting the RDX this summer for so long now. But after telling them that the RDX has manual passenger seat, everyone of them just laugh at the "cheapness" of it all....

My mom even said there is no way I should spend ~$35K on a car with manual passenger seat. And you know what they say: "Mama always knows best."
Old 04-17-2006, 07:14 AM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

My 04 TSX has a manual passenger seat and it doesn't bother me. However, I thought they added power in 05 or 06 and assumed they'd include it in the first RDX.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:28 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking about trade in my TSX for RDX and found out RDX has manual seat. Deal breaker to me as well.

These are really sad IMO
-Manual seat
-4000 Ib
-24MPG (No Honda Magic, same as CX7)
-No fog light
-Small brake rotor

Let me guess in 09 RDX
-Power seat
-Small increase in power (250hp)
-Fog light
-memory seat
-push "start"
-DVD player

Old 04-17-2006, 11:40 AM
Instructor

I find the lack of a drivers seat with memory a bigger problem than the manual passenger seat.

As the soon-to-be primary driver, and sharing it occasionally with 3 other drivers in my household, having to readjust the seat even ONCE back to my preferred setting is a pain.

For those of you who have gone from non-memory power seats to memory based, should agree that this is a bigger issue than a lack of a power passenger seat.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:56 AM
wiz
Pro

I agree that I think it is ludicruous that they are not putting a power passenger seat on the RDX. I think they are going to end up taking the same path they did with the TSX. As one of the very first TSX owners back in early '03, I will be waiting before I even think about purchasing the RDX. I will wait for the '08 model at least to see what they do add for the 2nd and 3rd releases. I will be trading my TSX in soon for a TL though and when that is paid off or close to being paid off, I will trade my wife's Accord in for the RDX if it is satisfactory then. I do find it crazy that they are labeling this car a luxury car but it is missing a lot of luxury items.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:24 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by bobq
I find the lack of a drivers seat with memory a bigger problem than the manual passenger seat.

As the soon-to-be primary driver, and sharing it occasionally with 3 other drivers in my household, having to readjust the seat even ONCE back to my preferred setting is a pain.

For those of you who have gone from non-memory power seats to memory based, should agree that this is a bigger issue than a lack of a power passenger seat.
I don't remember where I read this but I read somewhere that the biggest target audience Acura is aiming for the RDX is the “~30 years old singles with $100K income range who are active in dating” group… if that’s the case, I think power passenger seat is more important than driver memory seat. No guy (w/ a “luxury” car) would want his date to manually adjust her seat to make herself comfortable, right?

Anyhow, both of those features should be on there. But the manual passenger seat bugs me far more because "manual" = "cheap" but "no memory seat" = "no luxury"...
Old 04-17-2006, 12:42 PM
Racer

So basically RDX is Cheap and No luxury.

Wake up, Acura and pay attention to detail!!!!
Old 04-17-2006, 01:34 PM
I'm a llama :(

They could have done without the tire pressure monitoring system and put in a power passanger seat.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:41 PM
Racer

According to federal regulations (unless it's changed since i last read them), 70% of all cars in 2007 must have Tire Pressure Monitoring, and all cars in 2008 must have it. The number was only 20% for the 2006 model year. Acura might have had to add TPMS in order to hit the 70% number. If they didn't they'd have to do it next year, anyway.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by jaobrien6
According to federal regulations (unless it's changed since i last read them), 70% of all cars in 2007 must have Tire Pressure Monitoring, and all cars in 2008 must have it. The number was only 20% for the 2006 model year. Acura might have had to add TPMS in order to hit the 70% number. If they didn't they'd have to do it next year, anyway.
It's worth noting that although it's a requrement, it's not required that it be a direct monitoring system like Acura is using. They are going the "extra step" here to provide more safety and better information.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Colin
It's worth noting that although it's a requrement, it's not required that it be a direct monitoring system like Acura is using. They are going the "extra step" here to provide more safety and better information.
Kudos to Acura!
Old 04-17-2006, 06:29 PM
Suzuka Master

It's also worth noting that the base MDX has NEVER had a power passenger seat. Of course it is available in the Touring but the premise that a "luxury" car costing mid-thirties, HAS to have is has been disproven by the sales of the MDX over the last 5 years. Myth Busted!
Old 04-17-2006, 06:46 PM

But for the MDX you at least have that option.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Motohip
Yes, I'll grant you that. (in fact I did...). However, the fact remains. We have been selling a Luxury vehicle for 5 years for mid to high 30's and it has a fully manual seat.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Honestly, I never understood the need for having a power passenger seat. It adds weight and doesn't really serve a real functional purpose. Honestly, unless a power seat has a memory function, I really would prefer to not have the power seat and save the weight.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:31 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Honestly, I never understood the need for having a power passenger seat. It adds weight and doesn't really serve a real functional purpose. Honestly, unless a power seat has a memory function, I really would prefer to not have the power seat and save the weight.
Power seat is never a need... but a necessary luxury... It's like a TV w/o a remote. You can surely walk to the TV to change the channels but we lazy Americans would rather sit on our butt and just move our fingers.

Besides, how much extra weight does a power seat add? It's not like anybody is going to race with the RDX?!
Old 04-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by HBomb
necessary luxury...
That's a funny Oxymoron.....kinda like Military Intelligence
Old 04-17-2006, 11:00 PM
JHB
2nd Gear

Thumbs down Why power passenger seat and memory seat make difference

Memory seats are very important to my wife and I. We alternate use of our cars and we will be using our next car along with another in a tandem garage where car jockeying will be frequent. As she is 5' 2" and I am over 6' tall, I have a really hard time squeezing into the driver's seat with no memory button to adjust the seat before I climb in.

A power passenger seat is generally far more comfortable because there are generally more positional changes possible. For example, we recently rented a Subaru Outback and really liked it in other respects, but neither of us could find a comfortable seating position in the front passenger seat. In my opinion, memory seats and power front seats for both driver and passenger, at least as options, should be expected as part of any entry level or above luxury car. Even the Volkswagen Jetta 2.0T offers a package that includes power front seats and driver's memory seat.

My wife and I have been holding off buying a BMW X3 in the hope that the RDX will provide a good alternative. If it is confirmed that the RDX has neither a driver's memory seat/mirror feature or option nor a power passenger seat, Acura will lose the sale to the X3.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JHB
My wife and I have been holding off buying a BMW X3 in the hope that the RDX will provide a good alternative. If it is confirmed that the RDX has neither a driver's memory seat/mirror feature or option nor a power passenger seat, Acura will lose the sale to the X3.
I hear you on the memory seats! Thats why I love the manual seats on our S2000. One pull and you're all the way back.

A 4 way power passenger seat would have been no different in comfort than a manual 4 way seat. Face it, the Subaru seats just plain ole suck!
Old 04-17-2006, 11:42 PM
Racer

I gotta agree, I have a subaru legacy as a rental car as we speak (as we type?). I'll be damned if i can get comfortable, and this is in the driver's seat. The seats in my TSX and integra are both way, way more comfortable, so far.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:49 AM
Instructor

Lightbulb Not only that....

......but the optional power passenger seat on the MDX TOURING MODEL is an 8-way power seat. By contrast, the $55K Lexus GX 470 only has a 4-way power passenger seat .....go figure ....Acura does do things real weird sometimes. It's like you get ALL or NOTHING
Old 04-18-2006, 10:55 AM

Do you guys think they will add it at the last minute cause of all our bitching??? I doubt it since the specs are already up, but I'm sure they're going to be losing a few sales because of this.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:22 AM
Racer

When you pay over $32K for a luxury SUV, you expect some luxuries. I never compaint the manual seat on my TSX since i paid less that $25K for that.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by cheepung
When you pay over $32K for a luxury SUV, you expect some luxuries. I never compaint the manual seat on my TSX since i paid less that $25K for that.
Exactly...
Old 04-18-2006, 12:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Do you guys think they will add it at the last minute cause of all our bitching???
Of course not
Old 04-18-2006, 02:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
People pay $40k+ for a Lotus Elise that is smaller, louder, less comfortable, and less practical that barely has a radio, much less power seats.

Or maybe all those people who pay $32k+ for an S2000 are crazy too since they only get manual seats as well.

Seriously, I wouldn't mind if my $50k car didn't have power seats if it didn't come with the memory function as well. To me, it's pretty extraneous.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:09 PM
Racer

what a bummer...i hope you guys are wrong and they equipped with memory + power seats :P
Old 04-18-2006, 03:17 PM
Racer

People pay $40k+ for a Lotus Elise that is smaller, louder, less comfortable, and less practical that barely has a radio, much less power seats.

Or maybe all those people who pay $32k+ for an S2000 are crazy too since they only get manual seats as well.

Seriously, I wouldn't mind if my $50k car didn't have power seats if it didn't come with the memory function as well. To me, it's pretty extraneous.

People pay $40K Lotus for its 1 g handling and $32K S2000 for its 9000 rpm engine. Someone might pay $100K for the Skyline GTR on ebay now. Those are not luxury cars. People will not bitch about when they have to roll down the window by hand in a Lotus when it can pull 1g. It is basically a track car.

When people look at RDX, it is a luxury small SUV. Your expectation is getting higher especially you pay $32K for it. Just imagine you have to roll down the window by hand in RDX. You get the idea. You either have to redefine technology or at least copy someone else in order to survive in today car business.

I recalled reading a car magazine about bitching a $70K benz without CD player comes standard. You have to pay for it in one of those packages. BTW, I will not complain about the manual seat in RDX’s next generation brother-CRV.

Acura choose to play TSX game. You will definitely see those features in 09 RDX.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:04 PM
My bolonga has a 1st name

For the last few months, I was totally looking forward to getting the RDX when it comes out this year. After seeing the new specs, my excitement is almost down to zero.

Does anyone else besides me find that it is completely UNACCEPTABLE that the RDX has manual passenger seat?!!!

What is Acura thinking? Why would anyone buy a "luxury" car (even if it is "entry level luxury") with manual passenger seat. Both Lexus and Infiniti don't have manual seats in any of their fleet. To bring the BMW X3 into comparison is a total farce!!

What will Acura think of next... A/C and radio as an option?

I hope for their sakes, Acura will include power passenger (even it's only 4-way) as an option. It may be too much to ask for, I hope it will happen not for next year, but this year!!!

Otherwise, I say this is the dealbreaker.
dude u have issues.

i mean i undrestand that want for certain features, but for a non passegenger seat being the reason u dont buy car is pretty lame.

i mean who gives a shit, its just ur passenger. my 04 tsx didn't come with power passenger seat xm or heated mirrors like the later models did, but i sitll recognize the car as a bargain great deal back in 03 when i bought it.

seriously think some people are just picking at this point.

and if i didn't love my TSX so much, ur damn right u could count me in that list of RDX buyers. If i could afford two cars i mighta had to go for it! lol till then, TSX it is.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:06 PM

People pay $40K Lotus for its 1 g handling and $32K S2000 for its 9000 rpm engine. Someone might pay $100K for the Skyline GTR on ebay now. Those are not luxury cars. People will not bitch about when they have to roll down the window by hand in a Lotus when it can pull 1g. It is basically a track car.

When people look at RDX, it is a luxury small SUV. Your expectation is getting higher especially you pay $32K for it. Just imagine you have to roll down the window by hand in RDX. You get the idea. You either have to redefine technology or at least copy someone else in order to survive in today car business.

I recalled reading a car magazine about bitching a $70K benz without CD player comes standard. You have to pay for it in one of those packages. BTW, I will not complain about the manual seat in RDX’s next generation brother-CRV.

Acura choose to play TSX game. You will definitely see those features in 09 RDX.
rolling down ur window by hand is something u'd have to do arguably on a daily basis, ur PASSENGER having to pull a lever rather than push a button, i dunno but i could personally care less. they dont like it, get out and walk.

if it was the driver seat being manual i must say that mighta been a little different.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:08 PM

I was thinking about trade in my TSX for RDX and found out RDX has manual seat. Deal breaker to me as well.

These are really sad IMO
-Manual seat -- boo hoo
-4000 Ib --- its a friggin SUV
-24MPG (No Honda Magic, same as CX7) its a freakin 4000lb luxury SUV with features up the yin yang and a decnt amount of power to boot!
-No fog light -- its definitly going to be an acura accessory, marketing my friends!
-Small brake rotor -- its an acura, not a Cayenne Turbo S.

Let me guess in 09 RDX
-Power seat
-Small increase in power (250hp)
-Fog light
-memory seat
-push "start"
-DVD player

haha you guys crack me up
Old 04-18-2006, 04:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 97AcuraCL
i dunno but i could personally care less. they dont like it, get out and walk.
yeah, i dunno but i couldn't personally care less.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by sdho
what a bummer...i hope you guys are wrong and they equipped with memory + power seats :P
I wish we were, but I'll bet the borchures are being printed as we speak an dthe cars will be in (if not already) pre-production.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Racer

if it was the driver seat being manual i must say that mighta been a little different.
So... what made you feel that might be a little different? I am happy about my manual driver seat on my Mazda 3 and i didn't bitch about manual passenger seat on my TSX as well.

Mazda 3 17K
TSX 25K
RDX 32K
Old 04-18-2006, 06:00 PM
10th Gear

rolling down ur window by hand is something u'd have to do arguably on a daily basis, ur PASSENGER having to pull a lever rather than push a button, i dunno but i could personally care less. they dont like it, get out and walk.
Thank God I'm not married yet. Good luck to any husband trying to buy the RDX and having to tell the wife (aka the dealbreaker) that statement.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Thank God I'm not married yet. Good luck to any husband trying to buy the RDX and having to tell the wife (aka the dealbreaker) that statement.
If there was a "wife to be" for whom that mattered, heck, I wouldn't be marrying her! don't get me wrong, my wive loves cars and after 3 GS-Rs, shes had 2 S2000s. Never had a power seat in her life and doesn't miss it.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:18 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Colin
If there was a "wife to be" for whom that mattered, heck, I wouldn't be marrying her! don't get me wrong, my wive loves cars and after 3 GS-Rs, shes had 2 S2000s. Never had a power seat in her life and doesn't miss it.
Dude, I'm not even talking about the power/manual seat here, I was only refering to "dont like it, get out and walk" quote.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Dude, I'm not even talking about the power/manual seat here, I was only refering to "dont like it, get out and walk" quote.
Ha ha, I doubt that part would go over will in any situation. Guy, girl, best friend, dog, nobody wants to be told that!
Old 04-18-2006, 09:13 PM
JHB
2nd Gear

Properly done power seats are far more adjustable

Properly done power seats (ie, not the simple 4 way ones) are far easier to get to a comfortable combination of positions and have a far greater range of motion and adjustment than manual seats. My wife and I have found that it is impossible in some cars and far more difficult in some cars to find a comfortable position with manual seats, driver or front passenger. It is not just the manual versus power issue.

Quick Reply: Manual Passenger Seat