Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 08:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Lightbulb Lexus RDX Fighter on the Way

AutoSpies
Lexus plans to attack BMW's X3 and X5
Tag Link: Lexus plans to attack BMW's X3 and X5

LEXUS will diversify its model range via a series of new and innovative vehicles that will include a small SUV below the next RX.

The next RX, to be derived off a development of the current Camry-derived platform, will be significantly larger and wider than today’s second-generation model.

The all-new SUV is due in the second half of next year.

A Lexus insider describes the new RX’s sleek styling as "...a coupe on stilts," but promises that it will be far more spacious, comfortable and involving to drive on-road than the current model.

Speculation also suggests that a long-wheelbase seven-seater version, beginning with the RX350L, is also on the cards.

Both versions will see the nameplate better equipped to take on the BMW X5 and Mercedes M-class in both size and dynamic capability.

Of course, another hybrid RX will also appear, and is expected to use a V6 petrol/electric combination of about 3.5 litres in capacity.

Speculation is also circulating that Lexus may introduce a super-luxury long-wheelbase V8 petrol/electric hybrid RX, utilising a development of the 5.0-litre unit powering the LS600Lh.

However, the RX development story does not cease there.

It is believed that Lexus is also putting the finishing touches to a rebodied and shorter-wheelbase version of the new RX.

Known internally as the ‘New Entry Level,’ it will be a five-seater part-time all-wheel drive crossover SUV/wagon about the size of today’s Toyota RAV4. Lexus may unveil a lightly disguised concept version of this car before the end of 2007, a late 2008 release date is likely.

Starting at significantly under the current RX350 price, the ‘JX’ crossover – as it has been referred to by some quarters of the media – will be pitched against the BMW X3, as well as the upcoming Mercedes-Benz GLK compact 4WD wagon and Audi's Q5.

Rumours are running hot that that the JX – to be built in Ontario in Canada – will also offer a petrol/electric hybrid variation. The JX will share a lot of components with the latest ES.

What I find interesting is that Honda SUVs tend to outsell Toyotas (Pilot/Highlander, CR-V/Rav4 ... I guess 1 could add the Odyssey/Sienna match up} However, the RX350 has sales double of the MDX. The RDX & X3 do not exactly have huge sales & Infiniti's small CUV is on the way so I am not sure how this will affect RDX sales.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:05 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69

AutoSpies

LEXUS will diversify its model range via a series of new and innovative vehicles that will include a small SUV below the next RX.

The next RX, to be derived off a development of the current Camry-derived platform, will be significantly larger and wider than today’s second-generation model.

A Lexus insider describes the new RX’s sleek styling as "...a coupe on stilts," but promises that it will be far more spacious, comfortable and involving to drive on-road than the current model.

Speculation also suggests that a long-wheelbase seven-seater version, beginning with the RX350L, is also on the cards.

Both versions will see the nameplate better equipped to take on the BMW X5 and Mercedes M-class in both size and dynamic capability.

Of course, another hybrid RX will also appear, and is expected to use a V6 petrol/electric combination of about 3.5 litres in capacity.

Speculation is also circulating that Lexus may introduce a super-luxury long-wheelbase V8 petrol/electric hybrid RX, utilising a development of the 5.0-litre unit powering the LS600Lh.

It is believed that Lexus is also putting the finishing touches to a rebodied and shorter-wheelbase version of the new RX.

Known internally as the ‘New Entry Level,’ it will be a five-seater part-time all-wheel drive crossover SUV/wagon about the size of today’s Toyota RAV4. Lexus may unveil a lightly disguised concept version of this car before the end of 2007, a late 2008 release date is likely.

Starting at significantly under the current RX350 price, the ‘JX’ crossover – as it has been referred to by some quarters of the media – will be pitched against the BMW X3, as well as the upcoming Mercedes-Benz GLK compact 4WD wagon and Audi's Q5.

Rumours are running hot that that the JX – to be built in Ontario in Canada – will also offer a petrol/electric hybrid variation. The JX will share a lot of components with the latest ES.

What I find interesting is that Honda SUVs tend to outsell Toyotas (Pilot/Highlander, CR-V/Rav4 ... I guess 1 could add the Odyssey/Sienna match up} However, the RX350 has sales double of the MDX. The RDX & X3 do not exactly have huge sales & Infiniti's small CUV is on the way so I am not sure how this will affect RDX sales.

I don't see the RX350 and MDX as comparables, and personally don't think the sales number can be discussed in the same way. MDX is supposed to occupy the same niche as the X5 - sporty and upscale. RX350 is pitched more at the upper middle class mom. You see one of those on the road, and there is a very good chance that the driver will be a middle aged women. Now, I don't necessarily buy the notion that a large top heavy vehicle can be "sporty" but the fact remains that the MDX and RX350 are pitched at different market segments. It may also turn out that the RDX and comparable Lexus vehicle target different markets but I guess we will see.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by darth62
I don't see the RX350 and MDX as comparables, and personally don't think the sales number can be discussed in the same way. MDX is supposed to occupy the same niche as the X5 - sporty and upscale. RX350 is pitched more at the upper middle class mom. You see one of those on the road, and there is a very good chance that the driver will be a middle aged women. Now, I don't necessarily buy the notion that a large top heavy vehicle can be "sporty" but the fact remains that the MDX and RX350 are pitched at different market segments. It may also turn out that the RDX and comparable Lexus vehicle target different markets but I guess we will see.
I agree. The Lexus will appeal to Moms who look for the same qualities in their ride as their washer, dryer and fridge....smooth, vibration free, quiet...and needing no attention. Toyota knows their market.

Acura themselves though, have announced that the RDX is an early entry in a category with dramatic growth; the small/midsize high performance CUV. Even GM is releasing a performance version of the Equinox/Torrent with 250 HP and "sport" suspension this fall.

OK, stop laughing...there will also be contenders with real credentials.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:11 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
interesting article, i would love to see what toyota will come up with. There's gonna be a good show between the JX, EX, RDX, and X3!
Old 05-16-2007, 10:36 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well-put XLR8R. each brand will have it's own style that doesn't deviate too much from what we already know of their cars.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:01 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RDX fighter? Has the RDX put that big a dent in Lexus sales?
Old 05-17-2007, 02:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts
4 SUVs? lexus already has one for each catagory: compact, midsize and full size. "RX, GX, LX". and with a larger RX and RX-L, there will be some lap over in price and/or in size. i have to say it will be intresting to see the line up and pricing. i hope toyota wont screw this up like they did the celica and MR2. i liked those cars.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:22 AM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yawn. Middle-aged women is right. My gf's sister is that and drives a Lex RX300 or whatever that glorified Blazer is. A nice ride but it sure as heck doesn't do much for me.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by turboted
it's like the rodney king case...while he's down, they team up to beat him a little more.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:52 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Cool I guess

Since Lexus has nothing in the compact CUV category, 1 could argue that the RDX is stealing away all of these potential customers.

Toyota/Lexus is a huge company & they seem to want a product for every automobile segment. Compare how many they have to Honda/Acura.

As for the MDX - that is a product that kinda straddles segments. I have seen it compared to the Lexus RX & the GX. I tend to think of it more as a RX fighter as they are both 6 cylinder, mid-size CUVs whereas the GX is an SUV but is more comparable to the MDX in size.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:07 AM
Burning Brakes

I would not call the new JX in particular a RDX fighter...

The small CUV section has been heating up over the last couple of years... Acura joined in with the RDX...

I think Toyota sees that category as one where the playing field is worth dabbling into, the market apparently is there...
I am not so sure if Toyota is targeting Acura with the JX... I mean it has always been setting the BMW as their benchmark... almost equivalent pricing with the BMW, but with more value, and proposed more refinement...
Lexus vehicles always priced significantly higher than the Acura vehicles... so I would expect their new CUV to be priced significantly higher than the RDX...

So is Lexus gunning for the RDX? I am not so sure if it is intending to do that, maybe the BMW X3,... but definitely the small CUV category is very attractive right now to auto makers...
Old 05-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Racer

From a practical point of view, more luxury small SUVs does mean more competition with the RDX. The RAV4 does have a better layout than the RDX (more cargo space) and that 6 cylinder engine is really nice. I couldn't see myself sitting in that budget Toyota interior, but I would have at least taken a Lexus version for a test drive.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Got Boost?Rdx/Base/CGP

If We..All RDX owers..Love our own Rdx..why be scared?..just keep enjoying your Rdx..Don't Be Afraid..We All Know That RDX is a good car..RDX ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-17-2007, 08:33 PM
Go Buckeyes

Originally Posted by Rdxowner
If We..All RDX owers..Love our own Rdx..why be scared?..just keep enjoying your Rdx..Don't Be Afraid..We All Know That RDX is a good car..RDX ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I totally agree!!!
Old 05-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rdxowner
Agreed! Toyota and Nissan have gone head to head with all Acura models (RL, TL, MDX, TSX) and of course the RDX. Not to worry, Acura will always continue to build a loyal following.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Burning Brakes

ummm...

I don't get it... why are we concerned at all if Lexus will bring out the JX... it is just another new vehicle... What is this loyalty thing we are talking about? A car is a car... if the JX is a good value, high quality, high performing, well priced car... then people who can afford it would go for it... why should we be surprised at all? but if the RDX fits the bill of these people, like it did us, they will buy the RDX...
If the JX is really so much better than the RDX, then Acura will pay notice and improve on it's future generations of the RDX, overall, if we decide to stay with Acura, it simply benefits us in the long run...

People buy what they feel is right for them... this kind of talk about maintaining loyalty with the RDX freaks me out... owning a RDX is becoming like a cult thing... it is just a car...
Old 05-18-2007, 10:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by mav238
ummm... What is this loyalty thing we are talking about?... if the JX is a good value, high quality, high performing, well priced car... then people who can afford it would go for it...

People buy what they feel is right for them... this kind of talk about maintaining loyalty with the RDX freaks me out..
Agreed,

VAG, Toyota, Nissan, Mitsu, Subie, BMW, GM, Ford, and Chrysler*...Bring it ON.

*(Well, no...not Chrysler.)

Let the consumer buy the product that performs best with the highest reliability. Competition yields the excellence we all benefit from.

Having said that, I must confess a certain satisfaction as a Honda owner when I pull up next to a $75k Mercedes that is still moving under it's own power, despite the worst reliability in the industry.

Quality is not status and value is not expenditure.

From the company that makes lawnmowers, cars and jet airplanes I'd like to see a washer and dryer, my Maytags are disappointing.

Honda HRX mower: check, Honda CUV: check, HondaJet.....
Old 05-18-2007, 05:48 PM
Not an Ashtray

ummm...

I don't get it... why are we concerned at all if Lexus will bring out the JX... it is just another new vehicle... What is this loyalty thing we are talking about? A car is a car... if the JX is a good value, high quality, high performing, well priced car... then people who can afford it would go for it... why should we be surprised at all? but if the RDX fits the bill of these people, like it did us, they will buy the RDX...
If the JX is really so much better than the RDX, then Acura will pay notice and improve on it's future generations of the RDX, overall, if we decide to stay with Acura, it simply benefits us in the long run...

People buy what they feel is right for them... this kind of talk about maintaining loyalty with the RDX freaks me out... owning a RDX is becoming like a cult thing... it is just a car...
Yes, and no. I wouldn't buy a vehicle I didn't like just because it is Acura/Honda. But, all things being equal, I prefer Honda/Acura products because they've done me right over the years.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Agreed! Toyota and Nissan have gone head to head with all Acura models (RL, TL, MDX, TSX) and of course the RDX. Not to worry, Acura will always continue to build a loyal following.
Technically, Nissan/Infiniti has not gone head-to-head with the TSX unless one counts a loaded Altima 4 cyl.

That said, Toyota and Nissan's decision go create an upscale CUV is definitely aimed at the X3 with (at best) some regard to the RDX on the periphery.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by darth62
Yes, and no. I wouldn't buy a vehicle I didn't like just because it is Acura/Honda. But, all things being equal, I prefer Honda/Acura products because they've done me right over the years.
My exact same sentiments...

I have owned Honda and BMW products over the years... Liked both for different reasons, and now am settled with two Honda products (wife's TSX and my RDX). Never owned a Toyota product, not because it is not a good product, but simply didn't feel it has the same excitement and sportiness as the Honda products. It is simply blend looking, with the exception of the pricey Lexus IS series.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by F23A4
Technically, Nissan/Infiniti has not gone head-to-head with the TSX unless one counts a loaded Altima 4 cyl.

That said, Toyota and Nissan's decision go create an upscale CUV is definitely aimed at the X3 with (at best) some regard to the RDX on the periphery.
They definitely are...

But the current X3 just does not look great (IMHO), in comparison to it's larger sibling X5.

I guess people who buy them, simply 1) can afford the big bucks 2) love to have that status symbol on their hood 3) addicted to BMW famed driving dynamics 4) couldn't care less about their less than impressive reliability (free 4 years maintenance and probably leased) 5) or simply has an affinity for Chris Bangle's odd and weird sense to car body design.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Unlike the RDX and upcoming CX (and aside from a sweet powertrain), the X3 does NOTHING for me. I attended a BMW event last week and no intention of trying the X3, and have no regrets in hindsight. (The new 2G X5 4.8 was HOT though! )
Old 05-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TSX69

AutoSpies

Read the article again... it never mention anythng about the RDX at all...

so why are you saying the JX is the RDX fighter??? It clearly said that it was targeting the BMW SUVs, and mentioned Mercedes and Audi as well.

not putting down Acura, it seems clear who Lexus is claimed to be targeting...

Not the RDX...
Old 05-23-2007, 04:43 PM
Racer

Read the article again... it never mention anythng about the RDX at all...

so why are you saying the JX is the RDX fighter??? It clearly said that it was targeting the BMW SUVs, and mentioned Mercedes and Audi as well.

not putting down Acura, it seems clear who Lexus is claimed to be targeting...

Not the RDX...
Acura claims to be targeting the X3 with the RDX, so if Lexus is also aiming for the X3, then smart consumers are going to be looking at all of them (no matter what the advertising hype). I'm OP's thread title was more hype than fact.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by johnny99
Acura claims to be targeting the X3 with the RDX, so if Lexus is also aiming for the X3, then smart consumers are going to be looking at all of them (no matter what the advertising hype). I'm OP's thread title was more hype than fact.
Yes true... Consumers will look at all available choices...

But it's not like RDX is leading the pack anyway in terms of consumer choice of CUV...So my point was that the thread title is a little presumptious... When did the RDX garnish such respect, given it's new introduction to this market segment?

BMW on the other hand, has always been a benchmark and target for a number of automakers to compete against, for many reasons...
Old 05-24-2007, 07:12 PM
Racer

no competition from Porche

Looks like the rumored Porche "Roxer" small SUV is dead:
http://news.windingroad.com/body-sty...yenne-a-no-go/
http://www.caranddriver.com/dailyaut...sche-says.html