K&N Engine Air Filter...which one to get?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N Engine Air Filter...which one to get?

It's time for me to change the engine air filter on my 2007 RDX and I want to go K&N this time because it's washable and reusable.

I found 2 available to me online both at decent prices but I'm not sure the difference between the two

1. http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartDetai.../pagenum1/tabS

2. http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartDetai.../pagenum1/tabS

Their dimensions are a little different.

1. 8.50 x 1.50 x 17.50 inches
2. 1.75 x 17.19 x 8.31 inches

Correct me if I'm wrong but I recall the OE filter has dimensions of: 7.50 x 2.00 x 14.00 inches

--------------------------------

Does anyone know the difference and which one would you guys recommend?
Old 11-05-2011, 06:15 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,516 Likes on 1,183 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=acura%...os=87120&gbr=1

It should only cost you $45-$50 total (tax and shipping) if you order on-line from eBay. You might want to check locally and they might have it at Autozone. You need to pick up a cleaner kit anyways. I usually clean my K/N in the spring and fall for both my RDX and TSX.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mrgold35
http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=acura%...os=87120&gbr=1

It should only cost you $45-$50 total (tax and shipping) if you order on-line from eBay. You might want to check locally and they might have it at Autozone. You need to pick up a cleaner kit anyways. I usually clean my K/N in the spring and fall for both my RDX and TSX.
Hey thanks but I'm in Canada and there's not many places that offer goodies like these.

Aside from that, do you know what's the difference between the 2?
Old 11-05-2011, 06:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by reyo
Hey thanks but I'm in Canada and there's not many places that offer goodies like these.

Aside from that, do you know what's the difference between the 2?
i picked mine up from canadian tire, special order. not that i recommend getting anything done at that place. avoid canadian tire auto service at all costs.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:40 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by pickler
i picked mine up from canadian tire, special order. not that i recommend getting anything done at that place. avoid canadian tire auto service at all costs.
I checked online it's about $70 depending on model. But yeah never will I let them touch my car, haha.

So my question still comes down to what's different between the 2...
Old 11-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

i don't know but it would not make any difference. k&n uses oil to filter which is not always effective. washing and reapplying oil is tricky and can lead to leaks that contaminate sensors. i recommend staying with oem. you won't see any gain with k&n filter. If you want results get the k&n intake, they claim about 8.7 additional horses:

ofc thats not 8hp increase at all times, that's the MAX gain. overall you will get a smoother torque curve:
Old 11-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I use a K&N on my 2003 Mustang GT not for the extra HP (yeah right), but because I'm lazy and it will last up to 100,000 miles without having to be cleaned and re-oiled.
The following users liked this post:
Mr Marco (11-07-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Cruisin'

i don't know but it would not make any difference. k&n uses oil to filter which is not always effective. washing and reapplying oil is tricky and can lead to leaks that contaminate sensors. i recommend staying with oem. you won't see any gain with k&n filter. If you want results get the k&n intake, they claim about 8.7 additional horses:

ofc thats not 8hp increase at all times, that's the MAX gain. overall you will get a smoother torque curve:
hi thanks of the tip. The reason i'm wanting to try this is not bc for power but rather bc it's washable and reusable which will save me a lot of money in the long run before OEM here cost about $20-30 and they don't last very long. So I thought it's better to get something more expensive but last way longer.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I have yet to find a washable/reusable air filter that is worth anything. They don't catch particulates NEARLY as well as a pleated filter. If it isn't catching at least as much dirt, it is because it is letting it pass right into the engine ... that's a bad plan.

Want to save money, buy a non-OEM pleated filter.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TampaJim
I have yet to find a washable/reusable air filter that is worth anything. They don't catch particulates NEARLY as well as a pleated filter. If it isn't catching at least as much dirt, it is because it is letting it pass right into the engine ... that's a bad plan.

Have you tried the K&N one yourself? I haven't but I've been reading a lot of great reviews and that's why I wanted to try... are there tests of aftermarket vs OEM air filters I can look into? thanks.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Cruisin'

Oh wow I found something that would be a good read: http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

does it sound legit?
Old 11-05-2011, 10:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by reyo
Have you tried the K&N one yourself? I haven't but I've been reading a lot of great reviews and that's why I wanted to try... are there tests of aftermarket vs OEM air filters I can look into? thanks.
there are tests where one removes filters altogether with no increase in power/torque. just Google it. if you want gains, CAI is the only way under for about $300 or less.intakes and exhaust upgrades greatly help forced induction engines to take advantage of extra breathing capability. On NA cars even sometimes CAI and exhaust upgrades produce no gains, only way would be to upgrade headers, lighter weight pulleys, more aggressive camshafts etc.

the RDX is very easy to tunes, specially pre 2009 models. start with hondata reflash, you could get this done in toronto easy, but car might have to be garaged for a few days. Intake and exhaust mods, such as k&n and atlp catbacks are definate gains too.

this is a video from one of our members here, intake and hondata mod, notice sub 6 second acceleration to 60 and great sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5b9F...layer_embedded

Last edited by pickler; 11-05-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Cruisin'

there are tests where one removes filters altogether with no increase in power/torque. just Google it. if you want gains, CAI is the only way under for about $300 or less.intakes and exhaust upgrades greatly help forced induction engines to take advantage of extra breathing capability. On NA cars even sometimes CAI and exhaust upgrades produce no gains, only way would be to upgrade headers, lighter weight pulleys, more aggressive camshafts etc.

the RDX is very easy to tunes, specially pre 2009 models. start with hondata reflash, you could get this done in toronto easy, but car might have to be garaged for a few days. Intake and exhaust mods, such as k&n and atlp catbacks are definate gains too.

this is a video from one of our members here, intake and hondata mod, notice sub 6 second acceleration to 60 and great sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5b9F...layer_embedded
Thanks for all that great advice. Unfortuantely the RDX isn't my personal car but rather my parents. I help them deal with all the maintenance stuff and just thought a "washable and reusable" filter would be good moneywise in the longrun. I guess not since k&n doesn't seem to be better than oem. But thanks tho!
Old 11-05-2011, 11:47 PM
Copy cat shinobi

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree fully.
If I may also add search google "K&N air filters MAF problems" forums. Even one on here. Wlgood made a clear point, I observed the same gaiping holes with mine at 10000 miles. I highly recommend using a AEM dry flow filter with the charge tube from K&N typhoon kit.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:52 AM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Knn drop in is good, but when it's time to replace it just buy a new one, because you'll need a cleaning/oil kit for it, so you'll need to buy that, cleaning is easy but re-oiling is a pain and a mess, because the re-oil bottle is not a spray, it's more like a stream and you'll need a brush to spread thw oil, in the end it will be over-oiled.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Las Vegas
Knn drop in is good, but when it's time to replace it just buy a new one, because you'll need a cleaning/oil kit for it, so you'll need to buy that, cleaning is easy but re-oiling is a pain and a mess, because the re-oil bottle is not a spray, it's more like a stream and you'll need a brush to spread thw oil, in the end it will be over-oiled.

Not sure we're you're buying the recharge kit, but my re-oil bottle is a spray.