Just picked up - New Owner Questions/Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 08:41 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just picked up - New Owner Questions/Advice

Hi All.

Now a Proud owner of a 2010 Gray RDX AWD Tech. One previous owner. 160k miles! More than I would prefer but the car was meticulously maintained at an Acura Dealership every 3,500 - 5,000 miles. No accidents and interior is in great shape. Couple dings/scrapes on the body that I can deal with.

Not fast by any means but love the handling and quickness. I had an X2 for about a year, somewhat similar ride.

Few initial questions:

1) The Dealer decided to give it an oil change when they received it since it was due. I asked them what type of oil and was told they used 5w30 Synthetic Blend. From what I’ve been reading our cars call for fully Synthetic oil (Mobile 1 seems to be the preferred choice)
So, is it neccessary to get another oil change now with a Honda or Mobile 1 filter ?

2) the Engine Temperature Gauge is not working. It remains on Cold. From what I see from my limited search is that it could be wire damage , wiring harness or possible the sensor. Anyone have experience with this?

3) I preemptively scheduled an appt with a local Acura Dealership for this Friday. I think just for piece of mind. Perhaps I’ll just have them take care of #1 and #2 which I’m sure they will do there standard inspection.
Thoughts ? Or is this overkill?

Id really love to get another 50k or so out of her but I’m really not a mechanic. I’d definitely be open to doing some basic stuff but it would require at least a walk through or video. Lol.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 01-04-2023, 12:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 175 Posts
About the "Not fast", most bang for your buck! thread explains how to fix that https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-.../#post15994186
I'd keep full synth in it. If it is FWD and not SHAWD, I'd suggest not doing the Blouch turbo upgrade unless you want a tire fryer. If it is SHAWD and you follow the list you will embarrass most '60 muscle cars.
The following users liked this post:
Jordacura (01-04-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 12:27 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Jordacura
Hi All.

Now a Proud owner of a 2010 Gray RDX AWD Tech. One previous owner. 160k miles! More than I would prefer but the car was meticulously maintained at an Acura Dealership every 3,500 - 5,000 miles. No accidents and interior is in great shape. Couple dings/scrapes on the body that I can deal with.

Not fast by any means but love the handling and quickness. I had an X2 for about a year, somewhat similar ride.

Few initial questions:

1) The Dealer decided to give it an oil change when they received it since it was due. I asked them what type of oil and was told they used 5w30 Synthetic Blend. From what I’ve been reading our cars call for fully Synthetic oil (Mobile 1 seems to be the preferred choice)
So, is it neccessary to get another oil change now with a Honda or Mobile 1 filter ?

2) the Engine Temperature Gauge is not working. It remains on Cold. From what I see from my limited search is that it could be wire damage , wiring harness or possible the sensor. Anyone have experience with this?

3) I preemptively scheduled an appt with a local Acura Dealership for this Friday. I think just for piece of mind. Perhaps I’ll just have them take care of #1 and #2 which I’m sure they will do there standard inspection.
Thoughts ? Or is this overkill?

Id really love to get another 50k or so out of her but I’m really not a mechanic. I’d definitely be open to doing some basic stuff but it would require at least a walk through or video. Lol.

Any advice would be appreciated.
The 2007-12 RDX doesn't have an actual engine temp gauge, the small gauge on left is turbo boost gauge. Actual temp gauge is digital and you need to push up/down arrows on steering wheel to bring it up. Unless the actual digital gauge doesn't work.
The following 2 users liked this post by deepa1600:
Chopperpilot (01-04-2023), Jordacura (01-04-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 05:07 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by deepa1600
The 2007-12 RDX doesn't have an actual engine temp gauge, the small gauge on left is turbo boost gauge. Actual temp gauge is digital and you need to push up/down arrows on steering wheel to bring it up. Unless the actual digital gauge doesn't work.
Derf..... omg, I'm an idiot. Yes I was talking about the small gauge on the left. Thanks for clearing that up!
Old 01-04-2023, 05:29 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by DaIll1
About the "Not fast", most bang for your buck! thread explains how to fix that https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-.../#post15994186
I'd keep full synth in it. If it is FWD and not SHAWD, I'd suggest not doing the Blouch turbo upgrade unless you want a tire fryer. If it is SHAWD and you follow the list you will embarrass most '60 muscle cars.
Oh wow, I believe it. Seems like a lot of great stuff. What would you do immediately with a small budget($500) looking to add some HP and/or improve gas mileage?
Old 01-04-2023, 11:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Jordacura
Oh wow, I believe it. Seems like a lot of great stuff. What would you do immediately with a small budget($500) looking to add some HP and/or improve gas mileage?
Everything I've done has added MPG, if I can keep my foot out of it, but it's so hard with the way this SUV with half an engine scoots. The first thing I got was a Hondata FlashPro. The tuned stock flash that comes with it wakes it up quite a bit.