Just got my new tires for the RDX...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just got my new tires for the RDX...

UPS just delivered my set of 4 brand new Yokohama V4S tires. On the website, the tread profile didn't look so cool, but in person, the tread profile is really aggressive and cool... There is also the low profile sidewall rim protector trim. Can't wait to put these tires on to replace the factory stock Michelin pilots. If not for the nail in the shoulder block of the driver side front tire, I would not have gone ahead to purchase the tires now.

I won't really be able to tell the overall performance until the tires are adequately broken in, they will tend to be a bit squirmy for the first 100 miles or so...
Old 09-30-2009, 09:08 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know this might not happen for a while in Vancouver and not for long - but keep me posted on snow performance.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cwepruk
I know this might not happen for a while in Vancouver and not for long - but keep me posted on snow performance.
Actually I am currently in Boston, MA, for a job. Not sure what the snow is like, heard it can be as bad as Alberta or Ontario.

Will keep you guys updated. But with the extreme weather in Alberta, don't you think it would really be better off with dedicated snow tires there? In Boston, although it gets really cold, but from what I heard, it is those 10-12 days of really bad snow, and the rest of the winter is like in Vancouver, hovering around -10C to 0C.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:17 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
I am interested to see how you perceive the tires performance...I told you I have them too, and I think that they are just okay not excelling at anything....Having said that, they do a heck of a lot better than my summer 19"s :P
Old 10-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, got them installed today at a local tire shop as recommended by Tirerack. Fast service, but definitely more expensive than what I would have paid for in Vancouver, Canada.

first impressions:

Very quiet and comfortable ride. Maybe a little too soft, but I do have it set at 35 psi. The sidewalls are definitely softer than the factory michelin Pilots.

Dry handling, not bad, tracking quite well...

Will provide update on wet and snow handling later in the year.

But overall, a very attractive tire to look at.

My installer was actually recommending the Nokian WR over the Yokohama V4S. He indicated that they were the best all season tires that can take on the snow well. Of course, the dry handling will not be as good. Well, it is a compromise right?
Old 10-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mav238
But with the extreme weather in Alberta, don't you think it would really be better off with dedicated snow tires there?
You are almost always better with dedicated snows, but we don't get that much extreme winter weather here. Very few storms and less snow than a lot of warmer places. We do get cold snaps though. The stockers have been more than adequate for winter around here.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Pro

My installer was actually recommending the Nokian WR over the Yokohama V4S.
Kal Tire?

If so, they ALWAYS lean to Nokian. The WR's are more of a winter tire than an all season. I went in looking for performance tires for my Maxima and they tried selling me WR's. Ummmm, no.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had a set of the V4S tires for about 12k now. They are wearing great so far. Very pleased with the handling/comfort balance. Work well at dissipating water. Looking forward to test in the snow this winter. These are great looking tires on the factory rims-the curb lip fits perfectly.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:57 PM
StayAtHomeDad

My installer was actually recommending the Nokian WR over the Yokohama V4S. He indicated that they were the best all season tires that can take on the snow well. Of course, the dry handling will not be as good. Well, it is a compromise right?
Welcome to New England...I had never heard of those tires before until about a year ago...they seem to be great performers, but very very pricey. I wonder if they even make them in the RDX size, and if so, how much are they?
Old 10-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
Welcome to New England...I had never heard of those tires before until about a year ago...they seem to be great performers, but very very pricey. I wonder if they even make them in the RDX size, and if so, how much are they?
No they don't come in the sizes for RDX. I think the only tires that do work for the RDX, are Goodyear, Dunlops, Yokohamas, Hankook, Kumho, bridgestone, nankang...

Thanks for the welcome, but I really miss Beautiful british columbia Canada. No offence, but the historic and "oldness" of the whole new england area is really quite different from the younger vancouver, BC. Seeing 100 year old houses makes me feel really weird... it's great to see the historical structures on a vacation, but to live in around it, is something else... I was really surprised to see houses with horse barns as garages!!! I felt like I had gone back in time and history... Anyway, will take it in stride as it comes... just take this opportunity of the job here to sight-see the eastern board region of the USA...
Old 10-02-2009, 07:30 AM
Burning Brakes

No they don't come in the sizes for RDX. I think the only tires that do work for the RDX, are Goodyear, Dunlops, Yokohamas, Hankook, Kumho, bridgestone, nankang...

Thanks for the welcome, but I really miss Beautiful british columbia Canada. No offence, but the historic and "oldness" of the whole new england area is really quite different from the younger vancouver, BC. Seeing 100 year old houses makes me feel really weird... it's great to see the historical structures on a vacation, but to live in around it, is something else... I was really surprised to see houses with horse barns as garages!!! I felt like I had gone back in time and history... Anyway, will take it in stride as it comes... just take this opportunity of the job here to sight-see the eastern board region of the USA...
Oh, and the other thing about living here, is that people tend to live so far away from each other! The friends that I have made so far, generally live at least 30 mins away by freeway driving. This is far, compared with the 5 - 10 mins my friends live away from my home in vancouver. I noticed here towns are really dispersed from each other.

Anyway, all this freeway driving is good for my RDX, that is one good thing blows out any deposits and rust in the exhaust.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Now I realize why the yokohamas feel somewhat "softer"... when I checked the tires this morning, they were at 33 psi, temp ~ 38F.
I am used to pumping my factory Pilots at 35 psi, and this is measured in the early morning.
So when the installer of my yokohamas put it to "35psi", that was the pressure as measured at around noon time, which the temp was around 68F.

I will have to recharge the tire to 35 psi at cold morning temps. I like this pressure setting, as it gives a sportier ride, and also to compensate any significant drop in tire pressure due to a cold snap.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:44 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Now I realize why the yokohamas feel somewhat "softer"... when I checked the tires this morning, they were at 33 psi, temp ~ 38F.
I am used to pumping my factory Pilots at 35 psi, and this is measured in the early morning.
So when the installer of my yokohamas put it to "35psi", that was the pressure as measured at around noon time, which the temp was around 68F.

I will have to recharge the tire to 35 psi at cold morning temps. I like this pressure setting, as it gives a sportier ride, and also to compensate any significant drop in tire pressure due to a cold snap.
No, they are soft......trust me....
Old 10-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
No, they are soft......trust me....
Well, today I had tires pumped to 35 psi (temp ~ 40F) in the morning. The tires felt more solid now, much firmer. 32 psi is too low for this tir