Installing Mud Guards Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 08:49 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing Mud Guards Help needed

I want to install my mud guards myself. It says I need a clip remover. Is this something I can get at autosupply or is there a way to do this without a special tool? I don't want to screw up anything. I figured someone has already done this, and could advise the best way.

Thanks

Julie
Old 01-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
you can usually just use a screwdriver to get those types of clips out. You pry the center part of the clip up about 3/8 of an inch to release the clip and then you pull the entire clip out. In looking at the install instructions, you discard the clips and use the ones that came with the flaps so no worries about damaging the clips when removing which is sometimes an issue.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:59 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Julie8000
I want to install my mud guards myself. It says I need a clip remover. Is this something I can get at autosupply or is there a way to do this without a special tool? I don't want to screw up anything. I figured someone has already done this, and could advise the best way.

Thanks

Julie
<<Form one of the prev post>>
Hope it helps, Julie.

Bought the mud guard (2 pairs) from Hondaacuraparts ($50, free shipping) and did the installation myself. I thought I needed to take the wheels out (at least the rear) but I did not have to. As long as you have a short philips, you will be ok. For front pair, you need to turn the steering wheel all the way to either side to access the wheel-well. The guards came with one pair of long screws with attached flat washer and another pair of push-and-snap fastners. For the front pair, you need to use existing screw but for rear, once you take out the push-and-snap fastners, you must use the new one that came with the guards. Pair of long screws may or may not be used for rear. I just re-used the existing screws for rear.
Overall, the installation took about half an hour. Fit and finish were very good. There is no need to drill any holes at all.

For the liner, the quality of the material was below my expectation but the overall dimension is quite good (neither too large not too small). There are velcros at numer of different places to secure the liner. One must be careful not to detach and attach the velcros too many times otherwise fibers of the carpet will rise and become unsightly. Once it is laid, it should provide good protection. Too bad there is only one color, black.