input for 2008 dodge Caliber srt4turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 12:38 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
input for 2008 dodge Caliber srt4turbo

wow srt4 w/ turbo
285hp at 6400rpm, 265lbs of torq at 5600rpm
what do you guys think about this muscle car? compare to the rdx?
Old 05-04-2008, 01:25 AM
Intermediate

Its not a bad little car. While it does kind of look like a crossover, i still consider it more of a car. The price is nice, but the no awd is what kills it for me.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by seespotrun
Its not a bad little car. While it does kind of look like a crossover, i still consider it more of a car. The price is nice, but the no awd is what kills it for me.
i wonder if it is smaller then a rdx i havent seen one on the streets
Old 05-04-2008, 06:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to start any slinging here- BUT- You simply cannot compare Dodge to Acura- or most Japanese vehicles for that matter. Simply not even in the same orbit. Period. Sheer quality being the first and foremost reason. Expert engineering-fit- finish-ergonomics-and the list goes WAY on- are some of the main reasons. Dodge- Chev-Ford vehicles are stamped out (with a lot of plastic too) and slammed at the masses. Take a step WAY UP and stick with the Acura

Tom
Old 05-04-2008, 09:03 AM
'02 NBP TL-S

Originally Posted by Tomcat999
Not to start any slinging here- BUT- You simply cannot compare Dodge to Acura- or most Japanese vehicles for that matter. Simply not even in the same orbit. Period. Sheer quality being the first and foremost reason. Expert engineering-fit- finish-ergonomics-and the list goes WAY on- are some of the main reasons. Dodge- Chev-Ford vehicles are stamped out (with a lot of plastic too) and slammed at the masses. Take a step WAY UP and stick with the Acura

Tom
This will be my only post in this thread.

Please stop bashing any and all American vehicles until you have actually owned one made within in the last three years. I agree that Chrysler and GM had quality issues in the past, but both companies have turned it around and i can speak from experience on that subject.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
from what I've read about the Neon SRT-4 probably not going to be reliable.

Just a hunch and also it seems like the interior is super cheapo like most chryslers. Other then that it may be a fun car to throw around the track.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:52 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
[QUOTE=RDxTurbo]wow srt4 w/ turbo
285hp at 6400rpm, 265lbs of torq at 5600rpm
what do you guys think about this muscle car? compare to the rdx?

I rode a regular Caliber and they feel very cheap...so in that regard the RDX wins hands down.

I think that in terms of speed it will kick the RDX's ass, but I don't think that you will see a head to head comparo anywhere...

In terms of comfort...do you need to ask?
Old 05-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Racer

I've always liked the exterior looks of the Caliber. I think the Acura could learn a thing or two from American companies how how to make their cars look "aggressive" (wasn't that the point of having the RDX designed in the U.S.?). But haven driven a couple of GMs, Pontiacs, and Fords myself, I think the overall quality falls way behind German/Asia competitors. Newer Fords handle pretty well...but I'm not a fan of their looks.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Racer

Here is a great write up:

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/29/i...caliber-srt-4/
Old 05-05-2008, 07:12 AM
Racer

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Intermediate

Your so right Fish-I wouldn't touch one either- But- Dodge has their market and Acura and other manufacturer's have theirs. As said earlier- no comparison!
Old 05-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mau108
from what I've read about the Neon SRT-4 probably not going to be reliable.
SRT-4's were very reliable (used to own one). But these are completely different classes of cars. The Caliber is Dodge's small car, something that has trouble competing with a Civic on a regular basis. now, they've pumped this one up quite nicely, but it's still primarily and econocar.

I'd lean to the MazdaSpeed 3 first.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Instructor

Frankly, it is way over-styled. Too many scoops, cut lines and trim pieces. This over-styling is only surpassed by most Nissan's.

This car will look dreadfully old and out-dated in 5 years, as will most current Nissan's. Acura, among others, will still look contemporary.

IMHO, of course.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Intermediate

I saw one last night. It doesn't look bad but reminds me much more of a wagon than a crossover/suv. Its really short (I am 6'4") and I towered over it.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:04 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
no.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Meat Popsicle

In a couple of mag caomparisons the MazdaSpeed 3 was greatly perfered.
Infact the reviewers perfered the ols neon SRT4 to the caliber. Pooly refined, was the general complaint.

I think it looks like most of the recent agressive dodge cars. Reminds me of the styling that a kid in high school draws on his notebook during health class.

You have to hand it to them though, they do make a wide variety of vehicles. I am not a big fan of the retro challenger, even though I liked that car in the early seventies.

But, to each his own.

I do not see how this car compares in any way to the RDX. Its a "pocket rocket", big HP on cheap platform. RDX is just at the front end of a new class of vehicles, which will become one of the larger segments, as oil prices climb, and full size SUVs look less and less attractive. I do not see the RDX in anyway as a street racer. Its fun to drive, but if I were inclined to buy a car to tear up the streets, it would certainly be a coupe.

Have to seen the Toyota that is going to come out this fall? The Venza. Looks nice in photos of the prototype.

This CUV class is a nice compromise between an SUV and a wagon. If you do not mind the higher center of gravity than a wagon. But, as payback you get a bit higher driving position, and a bit better hauling capacity.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by seespotrun
Looks like a 5 door wagon to me. Don't see any resemblance to RDX just by looking at the outside. If the auto industry considers this a cross-over then I would say any over-sized 4 dr sedan can be a cross-over.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:09 PM
ddb
Instructor

Originally Posted by lilfeat
I do not see how this car compares in any way to the RDX. Its a "pocket rocket", big HP on cheap platform. RDX is just at the front end of a new class of vehicles, which will become one of the larger segments, as oil prices climb, and full size SUVs look less and less attractive. I do not see the RDX in anyway as a street racer. Its fun to drive, but if I were inclined to buy a car to tear up the streets, it would certainly be a coupe.
I don't see how an RDX-type car is a replacement vehicle for a larger SUV. The RDX is great at a lot of things, but it kind of fails as a large-family-hauler and/or cargo-hauler (plus you can't tow much weight with it). To me, the RDX replaces a mid-size sedan. Offers more cargo space and retains a lot of sedan driveability-characteristics.

But really, I don't see how a family with, say, 3 kids could easily use an RDX to tow the whole family around town (and you definitely wouldn't have a very comfortable roadtrip). My 11-year old Subaru Legacy wagon can carry a LOT more cargo than the RDX, and I can sit comfortably (at 5'11") in the passenger seat of the Subaru with a rear-facing child seat behind me, something I definitely cannot do in the RDX. Although I'm not a fan of larger SUVs, the appeal is understandable: seating room (up to 7 comfortably in many cases), rear-seat video systems, tons of cargo capacity, and towing capabilities. You don't really get any of that with the RDX. A Minivan seems to be a much better alternative for the larger SUVs.

I think the RDX (and many other crossovers) is for those who want the trendiness of an SUV paired with some of the driveability features of a sedan. From a pure practicality standpoint, though, the RDX seems to lose out to regular ol' station wagons, larger SUVs, or Minivans.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:15 PM
big shot.

Originally Posted by ddb
I don't see how an RDX-type car is a replacement vehicle for a larger SUV.
who said it did/has?
Old 05-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ddb
I don't see how an RDX-type car is a replacement vehicle for a larger SUV. The RDX is great at a lot of things, but it kind of fails as a large-family-hauler and/or cargo-hauler (plus you can't tow much weight with it). To me, the RDX replaces a mid-size sedan. Offers more cargo space and retains a lot of sedan driveability-characteristics.

But really, I don't see how a family with, say, 3 kids could easily use an RDX to tow the whole family around town (and you definitely wouldn't have a very comfortable roadtrip). My 11-year old Subaru Legacy wagon can carry a LOT more cargo than the RDX, and I can sit comfortably (at 5'11") in the passenger seat of the Subaru with a rear-facing child seat behind me, something I definitely cannot do in the RDX. Although I'm not a fan of larger SUVs, the appeal is understandable: seating room (up to 7 comfortably in many cases), rear-seat video systems, tons of cargo capacity, and towing capabilities. You don't really get any of that with the RDX. A Minivan seems to be a much better alternative for the larger SUVs.

I think the RDX (and many other crossovers) is for those who want the trendiness of an SUV paired with some of the driveability features of a sedan. From a pure practicality standpoint, though, the RDX seems to lose out to regular ol' station wagons, larger SUVs, or Minivans.
Funny how people in Europe have families and manage to get around without driving land yachts. America needs to come to grip with the fact that no one needs a vehicle the size of an Escalade. Pack less, organize more, or do whatever you need to - essentially everyone ought to be able to fix into a ride not much bigger than the RDX. I mean, really - when is the last time you saw 7 people tucked into a full-size SUV?
Old 05-05-2008, 03:36 PM
big shot.

i agree with oasis.

a truck like the RDX CAN MORE THAN MANAGE a family of 4. look at the success of the CRV's, Rav4's....smaller trucks with high versatility, can move the family and have good mpg and great reliability. i never agreed with the stupid burbans, escalades, denalis, honestly every time i pull up next to one its usually the same scenario, youung or middle aged broad with huge sunglasses on bangin hip hop while texting. obivously, if ur family is BIG then by all means minivan it, or u need the 3rd row etc.....but to say that a truck in the RDX size doesnt have family capability then i dunno what else u gonna use all that space for? i bought the rdx exactly for its practicality (and that i could enjoy driving it like my old 2 door). gets me to the mountains, summer house etc packed with friends and luggage no problem. its cars like the RDX (or its counterparts) give u the best of both worlds, the ability to have space to play with and the ability to play...not many vehicles on the road with the RDX specs can do both equally well (haul/drive)
Old 05-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frazman

Please stop bashing any and all American vehicles until you have actually owned one made within in the last three years. I agree that Chrysler and GM had quality issues in the past, but both companies have turned it around and i can speak from experience on that subject.
I've said exactly the same thing, but you're dealing with fanboys on this site. All they do is rip what they don't know. And they're scared crapless that Acura may no longer be much better than an American brand. I say that as the current owner of vehicles from GM, Chrysler, Acura and Nissan.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ThePlainsman
I've said exactly the same thing, but you're dealing with fanboys on this site. All they do is rip what they don't know. And they're scared crapless that Acura may no longer be much better than an American brand. I say that as the current owner of vehicles from GM, Chrysler, Acura and Nissan.
There you go again... jumping from one thread to another... trolling...

Please do not jump to conclusions without facts... the members in this thread is "NOT scared crapless" that Acura might no longer be better than the American brand...

The fact is, you are venting and complaining about your RDX being "crappy" based on what you have to deal with... Are you representing 100's and 200's or more RDX owners? No... I think not...

Stop being immature... be a man (or woman if you are female )...

Like I said in my other post in response to your trolling... I owned two 2001 BMWs and they both had their share of quality issues... but BMW fixed it all udner warranty... BMWs!!! so what... if they are BMWs... they are still in a way mass produced like all other cars such as saturns...

If Saturn or Pontiac, Chrysler etc... has found a way to make "trouble-free" perfect quality cars, with 0% rejection rate in their factory manufacturing process... good for them... BUT... if you are truly aware of things and with some common sense, you know that is impossible...even with the tightest quality control systems...

Okay, so your RDX has some quality issues... the right thing to do, is approach your dealer and get them to fix it right under warranty... then alert us fellow owners here about what might happen in the RDX... helping each other out, that's what this forum is all about...

But if you really hate the Acura brand, simply sell it off and stop "crying over spilled milk" like a little spoilt kid...

Folks here are simply tired of your childish venting and occupying thread space... grow up or if you are of the mature age... be your age... you will earn more respect and credibility that way...
Old 05-06-2008, 12:26 AM
Banned

:/
Old 05-06-2008, 06:52 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Frazman

LOL 19 and you can speak from experience?

For purposes of discussion...owning one is irrelevant, test driving is all you need to see that American cars have improved, but the only place they could go was up, since they had hit bottom anyway.

American cars have a LONG way to go just to catch up with the Koreans.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lumpulus
LOL 19 and you can speak from experience?

For purposes of discussion...owning one is irrelevant, test driving is all you need to see that American cars have improved, but the only place they could go was up, since they had hit bottom anyway.

American cars have a LONG way to go just to catch up with the Koreans.

I agree 110%. Had a rental recently of the new Mustang (only because I wanted to see how it handles and I kind of liked the appearance) but, as I expected from US cars, utterly disappointed. Cheap as hell inside and really low quality craftsmanship all around.

Sorry, I will wait another generation to buy an American cars.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by gomboy60
I agree 110%. Had a rental recently of the new Mustang (only because I wanted to see how it handles and I kind of liked the appearance) but, as I expected from US cars, utterly disappointed. Cheap as hell inside and really low quality craftsmanship all around.

Sorry, I will wait another generation to buy an American cars.
Gomboy60 I totally agree with you. When my RDX was in the shop I was given a Dodge Charger rental. What a piece of $#%! that thing was. All plastic inside. I felt like I was driving a shoebox on 4 wheels with a weedwacker motor in it. It was an awful experience. Even the Kia Optima I rented about 3 years ago was better than this piece of junk.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Racer

I rented a Caliber (non-turbo of course), to summarize it was a craptastic turd on wheels.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:28 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by phoward_15
Gomboy60 I totally agree with you. When my RDX was in the shop I was given a Dodge Charger rental. What a piece of $#%! that thing was. All plastic inside. I felt like I was driving a shoebox on 4 wheels with a weedwacker motor in it. It was an awful experience. Even the Kia Optima I rented about 3 years ago was better than this piece of junk.

I too have to agree. My dad has recieved several rental cars which are usually American and they just feel cheap. Our last rental was a 2007 Dodge Charger with less than 600 miles on it. The hood was misaligned, the wiring in the engine comprtment looked like some 6 year old wrapped them in electrical tape, and the interior rattled crazily and was easily scratched. It was like sitting in a recycled plastic tub. I must say that it did look mean from the front and my dad "accidentally" made a few burn outs.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vrflyer
I rented a Caliber (non-turbo of course), to summarize it was a craptastic turd on wheels.
Don't insult words like "Craptastic Turd" by using them to compare to Dodge!