Honda Ridgeline

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Ridgeline

OK, I think this is going to sound crazy.....

But, as I was loading my mountain bike into my RDX (with the seats folded down), I got to thinking how I was going to haul my kids bikes and my own around (understanding I can get a bike rack). Then I thought about a few occasions where being able to do some light towing (small boats and light trailers) would be helpful and decided to check out the Ridgeline. I also have had occasion to haul stuff that just doesn't fit in the RDX or MDX (I'm selling the MDX).

I haven't driven one yet. The dealer is going to let me take one on Sat. to try and I know it's a completely different vehicle but it does look interesting to me.

Has anyone else considered (or even owned) a Ridgeline on this board? Honda has heavy incentives on them right now ($4,500.00 to the dealer). I'm thinking because of the not so great gas mileage. From a fuel standpoint, it's likely a breakeven for me. Ridgeline isn't quite as good as the RDX for economy but runs on 87.

Obviously you give up acceleration, handling, and the all around fun to drive of the RDX for something that has a lot of utility which appears to be nicely equipped inside (like the Pilot). Great engine (same as my MDX). Looks - well seems to me you would either love it or hate it.

I think it would likely cost me almost nothing to do the trade to a new 2008 top of the line Ridgeline.

Am I nuts?
Old 05-06-2008, 02:38 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
yep, excellent truck, utility + drive like an accord. excellent , reliability has been great
Old 05-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMike1981
yep, excellent truck, utility + drive like an accord. excellent , reliability has been great
Do you own both an RDX and a Ridgeline? Presuming so, what do you end up driving more often?
Old 05-06-2008, 04:20 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
one pulled up behind me this morning and i couldnt help but notice how aggressive the front fascia is.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I've driven one, I liked it. It sure doesn't drive like a truck though, which I found as a big plus.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Racer

Long in the tooth - due for a redesign.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't stand the Ridgelines looks or interior, but it's a decent light duty truck for sure.

Honestly, I'd prefer something along the lines of the Explorer sport-trac, but I know that won't fly with the Acura crowd.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One of my co-workers has one--and he is an sales person that puts on 30 to 40k a year. He loves it.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:55 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My nephew has one,he has already put over 100k on it
w/o any problems
Old 05-07-2008, 08:26 AM
big shot.

the explorer sport trac is nothing compared to the ridge line.....i know this cuz we went from a sport trac to a ridge line.

the best thing about the ridge line is, you can drive a client, family members etc as if you were riding in a sedan, does all the duty of a pick up without any of the bs, the lockable storage in the bed is a major plus its like having a trunk, it can fit golf bags and pretty much anything else, its huge, excellent design thruout, and gets good mpg. even though its remained essentially unchanged, that could be viewed as a plus
Old 05-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Pro

I think the new Sport Trac are pretty nice on the inside and the Adrenalin package really spruces them up. Plus, having 4 real doors is nice. I've just always thought Ridgelines were awkward looking, in and out even though they get good reviews.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:47 PM
1st Gear

We have both Ridgeline (2006) and RDX (2007). Different and equally enjoyed. The Ridgeline is a wonderful vehicle, goes offroad on the beach easily and gets better gas mileage than the RDX. The RDX is quicker, more fun to drive and easier to navigate in the city, tight parking spots, etc.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:50 AM
Instructor

Dealer gave me a Ridgeline RTL for the day yesterday to try out. I have to say I was most impressed with it. Certainly a different vehicle than the RDX. Hardly nimble or quick, although not a slouch. Lots of storage. Honda did a nice job with the easy to flip up rear seats and of course the in-bed trunk. A power sliding back window is interesting.

I'm thinking about going for it. I thought the trade offer was a tad low.... Quote for the Ridge was invoice less $4,500 (good with that!) less $22K trade for my 2007 RDX Tech w/29K miles. He said they would need to put new tires on and recondition a bit, they estimated that would cost them $1,500. Trade in as I see it should be @26K. I think they will give me another $1K but I doubt more. I don't think I could sell it myself and do well plus the trade provides you with an 8% sales tax advantage here in good old New York State. So, out the door for the top of the line Ridge at the moment for $4,300 + tax. I would need to add to that my tech stuff (GPS, Bluetooth, backup cam). Honda wants way too much for their factory GPS/backup cam and they have no BT option.

Thoughts anyone on the trade number?
Old 05-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Teledatageek
Dealer gave me a Ridgeline RTL for the day yesterday to try out. I have to say I was most impressed with it. Certainly a different vehicle than the RDX. Hardly nimble or quick, although not a slouch. Lots of storage. Honda did a nice job with the easy to flip up rear seats and of course the in-bed trunk. A power sliding back window is interesting.

I'm thinking about going for it. I thought the trade offer was a tad low.... Quote for the Ridge was invoice less $4,500 (good with that!) less $22K trade for my 2007 RDX Tech w/29K miles. He said they would need to put new tires on and recondition a bit, they estimated that would cost them $1,500. Trade in as I see it should be @26K. I think they will give me another $1K but I doubt more. I don't think I could sell it myself and do well plus the trade provides you with an 8% sales tax advantage here in good old New York State. So, out the door for the top of the line Ridge at the moment for $4,300 + tax. I would need to add to that my tech stuff (GPS, Bluetooth, backup cam). Honda wants way too much for their factory GPS/backup cam and they have no BT option.

Thoughts anyone on the trade number?
Paying 4k out of pocket to go from an RDX to a Ridgeline seems a bit silly to me.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by oasis3582
Paying 4k out of pocket to go from an RDX to a Ridgeline seems a bit silly to me.
Really, how come?
Old 05-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Instructor

A "Ridgeline" modelled after the Ford Ranger in weight and size would be my ideal of a true PU/SUV "crossover". Even better would be one with the RDX's SH-AWD system or even with RWD bias or no front drive at all and maybe even a hybrid version licensed under the Toyota HSD concept.

In the meantime the current Ridgeline is simply too big, heavy, and Dodge Ram truck (GET OUTTA MY WAY....) front intimidation, AGGRESSIVE..., looking for me.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Instructor

A "Ridgeline" modelled after the Ford Ranger in weight and size would be my ideal of a true PU/SUV "crossover". Even better would be one with the RDX's SH-AWD system or even with RWD bias or no front drive at all and maybe even a hybrid version licensed under the Toyota HSD concept.

In the meantime the current Ridgeline is simply too big, heavy, and Dodge Ram front intimidation, AGGRESSIVE..., looking for me.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:18 PM
big shot.

no thoughts on the trade $$ i honetly dont know what a used rdx is worth...but i have a thought on why they say they need 1500 to be put into it. tell them youll take care of the tires and worry about the reconditioning later. tires arent a necessity for the sale, lol and certainly not worth 1500, including a 'dealer' reconditioning. for 200 bucks you could get in professionally detailed and cleaned in/out and probably without risking anything happening to the car BY the dealer like scratching it etc.

tell them to forget the 1500. thatd be the deal breaker for me.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Advanced

I like our Ridgeline better than the RDX! It is more comfortable and really useful to haul stuff and people around. Sounds good too under WOT.

But the RDX is WAY quicker, easier to park, handles better and better on fuel.

It's nice to change between them.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DIRTY K
I like our Ridgeline better than the RDX! It is more comfortable and really useful to haul stuff and people around. Sounds good too under WOT.

But the RDX is WAY quicker, easier to park, handles better and better on fuel.

It's nice to change between them.
Wow the best of both worlds! After driving a RL for a day, I had similar observations.

WOT? (don't know what that means)

If you could only have one of them, which one would you pick?
Old 05-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Banned

WOT = Wide Open Throttle or gas pedal to the floor basically.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Instructor

Well I'm out guys. I pick up my Ridgeline RTL tomorrow. I know I'm going to miss certain parts of my RDX as it's a great vehicle. But I'm looking forward to gaining a few things that are important to me that the Ridgeline can provide.

Ended up with a $24K trade on on my 2007 RDX Tech with 30K miles. Ridgeline was invoice less $4,500 Honda incentive. I'm happy with the deal.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Instructor

OK - So here I am thinking about getting back into an RDX!

The Ridgeline has grown old for me - too big, pain in parking spaces, etc. I've given up on buying a boat to tow (the boat rental model works good for me). I miss having enclosed storage when I have my kids in the backseat + the bed is covered with snow. I really miss the sportiness of the RDX which was truly fun to drive.

I was thinking an MDX would be the way to go, but reached the conclusion for the very few occasions I need something bigger than the RDX, I can use a cargo box or something.

Question, given that I have choices as to when I pull the trigger - should I make a deal on a 2009 (looks like some good ones) or will it be worth waiting for a 2010? I've read some of the rumors about the enhancements - sounds minor but things like keyless entry, better NAV screen, etc. would be pretty interesting to me.

Advise would be appreciated.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
Prepare to take a negative hit. Car market is not good right now. Wholesale is even worse. Wholesale price on your Ridgeline will be nowhere near where your payoff is unless you've been over-paying on your loan.

If you can afford it, I guess do it. Each truck is good in its own regard. but you have to think which one you are going to use to its full potential each and every day. Which vehicle will you get the most enjoyment out of?

In the end, the cheapest car is the one you are already driving.

Keep in mind the MMC for the RDX will get a revised front end... the new grill, new fogs, revised interior most likely... IMO I would wait a year until mid-summer 2010 and pull the trigger on the RDX then IF you are still interested...
Old 02-14-2009, 01:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jnc2000
Prepare to take a negative hit. Car market is not good right now. Wholesale is even worse. Wholesale price on your Ridgeline will be nowhere near where your payoff is unless you've been over-paying on your loan.

If you can afford it, I guess do it. Each truck is good in its own regard. but you have to think which one you are going to use to its full potential each and every day. Which vehicle will you get the most enjoyment out of?

In the end, the cheapest car is the one you are already driving.

Keep in mind the MMC for the RDX will get a revised front end... the new grill, new fogs, revised interior most likely... IMO I would wait a year until mid-summer 2010 and pull the trigger on the RDX then IF you are still interested...
I should have mentioned that I have a home for the Ridge if need be - we have a small biz and I'll press it into service that way in place of a planned Honda Element... so I won't incur a "hit". I am going to the Acura dealer this morning to take a peek at the 2009's, I'm going to see what they offer in trade but I agree, I'm not expecting great numbers.

I don't see me waiting until 2010, I can hardly wait until later this summer for the 2010 models to come out!

I wish I knew for sure what was coming in the next model year. The body work changes, grill, and fogs are of zero interest to me. The rumored FWD model is of no interest either. I guess it'll depend on the interior changes.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Teledatageek
I should have mentioned that I have a home for the Ridge if need be - we have a small biz and I'll press it into service that way in place of a planned Honda Element... so I won't incur a "hit". I am going to the Acura dealer this morning to take a peek at the 2009's, I'm going to see what they offer in trade but I agree, I'm not expecting great numbers.

I don't see me waiting until 2010, I can hardly wait until later this summer for the 2010 models to come out!

I wish I knew for sure what was coming in the next model year. The body work changes, grill, and fogs are of zero interest to me. The rumored FWD model is of no interest either. I guess it'll depend on the interior changes.
I agree I think your best bet might be offloading it on your small biz and write it off as a biz expense.

I had a 2009 RDX for a week when my TL was getting some work done. I loved it and so did the wife. So much so that we're looking into getting one to replace our Vue... but like you our decision is going to be based on more of the interior upgrades. I really hoping they redo the tech model and offer a larger/higher resolution screeen. Make the NAV more on par with the new TSX and TL and I'm sold.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:05 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
first of all you two need to get lives...posting at 2 and 5 in the AM....

having said that, IMO the 2010 will have improvements rather than a new interior....maybe I am wrong and it will have something similar to the new TL/TSX.....
I think that your best bet is to go and take a look at the new TL/TSX and see if there is anything that you must have in your new RDX......
Old 02-14-2009, 07:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wrestrepo

having said that, IMO the 2010 will have improvements rather than a new interior....maybe I am wrong and it will have something similar to the new TL/TSX.....
I think that your best bet is to go and take a look at the new TL/TSX and see if there is anything that you must have in your new RDX......
I think you forgot the red text I work from 7pm to 7am..... spend most of my evenings watching video's and surfing.... When it's warm out we shoot hoops...

In any event I have given the new TL and TSX a look. Both interiors are a step up from the previous generation... I'm just awaiting the RDX hoping Acura implements the new NAV.... and.. just maybe they'll take care of some of the known rattles too
Old 02-14-2009, 12:07 PM
Pro

What's so different about the Nav system in the New TL versus the '08 RDX? I just watched the Nav video on the TL website and don't really notice any difference except it includes the weather info. Graphics seem the same and if the screen is bigger I can't tell.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
Well this could be true about getting a better life!

I drove a RDX Tech today and wow what a difference over the Ridge. I had forgotten what a great performer it is. Didn't seem like a lot of change over my 2007 though. Seemed a little quieter and a bit less bumpy. Sales guy acknowledged those two things and of course the memory seat, power passenger seat and day/night mirror.

Deal on the table - Invoice less $2,500.00 Acura incentive less $20K for the trade of my Ridge. I paid a little @$28K for the Ridge with a couple of add ons (now has 13K miles and of course is used). Looks like the trade number should be @$22K to be fair.

Sales dude suggested getting a 2009 now and then getting into a 2010 late next year to take advantage of incentives that should be there. He suggests that when the 2010's 1st come out there won't incentives on them until late in the year or early 2011. So it boils down to me driving my Ridge another 7 months or so and likely paying a bit more for a 2010 or pulling the trigger now presuming we can reach a deal.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by phoward_15
What's so different about the Nav system in the New TL versus the '08 RDX? I just watched the Nav video on the TL website and don't really notice any difference except it includes the weather info. Graphics seem the same and if the screen is bigger I can't tell.
I'd like to know that too. The new TL in the showroom was completely dead (power problem). I think the screen size is the same, but the new one has better resolution, hard drive and some enhanced XM features.

Also - sales guy thought it doubtful that keyless would make it into the 2010 RDX. Amazing to me that Acura is so far behind in that area.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Advanced

We actually don't own our Ridgeline anymore either. Had too many K on it and was all banged up from taking it quadding / dirtbiking. Got a great trade in value on it and went for a 4WD Element! I sometimes miss the Ridge, but the Element is brand new, doesn't need anything, great on fuel, cheaper insurance and several hundred dollars a month less. It moves surprisingly good for a bread box.

Compared to the Element I am actually really enjoying the RDX now.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:00 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Going to Ikea they're great otherwise make mine an F150. Needs a V8 I think.