Have to change tires - nail in tire

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have to change tires - nail in tire

Took a nail in the tire, where the factory installed tires are now close 40000 km, and 2.5 years of usage. The nail is right near the shoulder blocks of the tire, and the tire technician indicated that it would not be properly fixed due to the location. And because RDX is AWD and the low tread life remaining, changing just one tire would not be good for the drive system.

So had to shop for tires, and the OEM Michelins Pilot cost a bundle, ~ $240 a piece! So will go with the Yokohama Avid V4S instead. Same V speed rating, about the same tread life, but probably more sporty; not sure the comfort comparison though. Will have to wait till Wednesday for installation, since the tires are being ordered online.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mav238--

Let us know how you like the new rubber after you have a few thousand on them. I'm interested for future replacement considerations on my RDX.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had to make the same decision. I went with PARADA Spec-X, Yokohama Tire's Street/Sport Truck All-Season radial developed for performance pickups and SUVs, as well as modern muscle cars. Tire Rack rated it top in its class(street/sport truck all-season). It's $50.00 less expensive per tire than the stock Michelin's. Getting them installed Friday. Will let you know how they perform.

Howard
Old 09-27-2009, 05:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HotFlyer
I had to make the same decision. I went with PARADA Spec-X, Yokohama Tire's Street/Sport Truck All-Season radial developed for performance pickups and SUVs, as well as modern muscle cars. Tire Rack rated it top in its class(street/sport truck all-season). It's $50.00 less expensive per tire than the stock Michelin's. Getting them installed Friday. Will let you know how they perform.

Howard
Yes, considered the Parada Spec-X as well. Tirerack rep recommended V4S over the Spec-X for the better snow handling. I am not into carrying a seconda set of snow tires, if the snow is that bad, simply ask my wife not to drive around and stay in till the roads are cleared and the snow stop falling.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:26 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Well, I can tell you guys that the V4S are okay tires. I bought them last year for winter time since car came with the 19" optional wheels; I got an extra set of rims and put those all seasons (long story posted in a different tread).
Anyways, I can tell you that the tires are NOT exceptional at anything, although they are good at everything...I would say that comfort is the best thing.
Traction (dry, wet and snow) is acceptable, tires are on the soft side, noise or lack-thereof is good and I don't know what else to say.
I have always had good experiences with Yoko in terms of life, and since I use these as my winter tires I am expecting for them to last a long time.

Oh, I would (based on my "winter experience") buy them again...
Old 09-28-2009, 08:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
Well, I can tell you guys that the V4S are okay tires. I bought them last year for winter time since car came with the 19" optional wheels; I got an extra set of rims and put those all seasons (long story posted in a different tread).
Anyways, I can tell you that the tires are NOT exceptional at anything, although they are good at everything...I would say that comfort is the best thing.
Traction (dry, wet and snow) is acceptable, tires are on the soft side, noise or lack-thereof is good and I don't know what else to say.
I have always had good experiences with Yoko in terms of life, and since I use these as my winter tires I am expecting for them to last a long time.

Oh, I would (based on my "winter experience") buy them again...
Thanks for the feedback, WRESPO.

I am not looking for anything exceptional, as I am driving a small CUV, not a porsche =) So was simply looking for a tire that had reasonable tire treadlife, above average dry/wet handling, and some light snow handling capability. The cost also was a factor. Didn't want to pay the $250 for the OEM Michelin Pilots.