GLK v. RDX - caranddriver

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the MB techs at my dealership tell me that the build quality, etc. of the GLK is far below the standards of the other MB cars..... they tell me that it's actually quite poor to have the MB name on it.

but I haven't looked close enough to form my own opinion, it's just what the guys say that deal with that carline everyday tell me.................
Old 04-17-2009, 12:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by MMike1981
kinda like why some ppl will pay the premium (myself included) for an apple computer...more expensive, obviously....so much better in operation than a PC, without question...ill pay for that.
Wow, you need to be careful about making comparisons like this, dude. I already thought your automotive opinions were questionable, but now that I know you're a dues-paying member of the Mac mafia it further reduces your credibility. The problem is that a Mac is *NOT* "much better in operation than a PC, without question". There are plenty of questions, and plenty of uses (and users) for whom a PC is a superior choice.

In short, don't fall into the trap of thinking that because some product is better for YOUR needs than another, that it's better for EVERYONE ELSE. And when you just try to lecture other people about why you think they're idiots for not thinking exactly like you, well, you're not going to convince many people to come over to your way of thinking.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:39 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
no trap - tried and true

you think vista is a better os than leapord? im not sitting here claiming software vs software, there are certain things PC's do that arent possible on a mac, and vice versa...just due to software limitations and such

thats great u think my opinion is questionable, it should be, its an opinion, anyone out there that thinks the RDX quality is up to the MB, well, thats questionable.

dont clump me into calling out "everyone" on the board buddy....lemme preface everything i say than, as an IMHO...jesus christ. u dont like whta i have to say, make an argument...where is your argument?

its obvious the RDX meets certain needs...duh...its a budget, and fantastic SUV. i never said anything to the contrary....this thread is a comparison thread, if u dont like the comparisons tell me why...dont tell me im callin everyone an idiot. u wana take it personal thats cool....its car talk.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:47 AM
big shot.

by budget - lemme say budget in comparison to the competition (EX, Q5, MB, LandRover etc) ... its price is one of its best features
Old 04-17-2009, 09:49 AM
Racer

Aesthetically I like it, having said that the interior is pretty cheap looking and it's very "à la carte". You pay how much again?

No thanks, I'll stick to something that's a lot more fun and costs $$$$ less.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:51 AM
big shot.

my postings are/were never meant to be belittling in any way, or to somehow state my needs should be everyone's needs...no way.

what i would think would be purely obvious is the fact that WE R ALL RDX owners. that is the starting ground. we know the RDX in and out, so given that, theres no amount of convicing going on on my end here - id say pointing out differences is appropriate. we were all convinced, in some way or another, whether it was price, value, resale, std equip, that the RDX was the truck for us, thats why we bought it, if we werent, ud have a diff vehicle in your garage maybe. if you have missed the point of this thread, being a comparison, im sorry.

I love acura because its a great value, the rdx screws, and its a great suv compared to the competition. this thread was in no way to say or infer that, since the MB has certain things, YOU NEED THEM, or since i want them, we are all inferior for not having nor wanting them. that was not my intent nor purpose. RDX has things going for it that other brands cant claim - the main thing - it drives & handles like nothing else, especially given its price. but it also lacks many things.

usually with good strong points, however one sided they may be, good debate will follow....i dont care if my neck is on the line with alot of the things i say, it spurs good convo (or bad depending on your position lol), and opens ideas, thats all my intent is here.

my last post in this thread, or in fact, about the GLK..initially, it was just to point out a good competitor thats price was not off the map, that had features you would think would be avail for us, and a surprise offering from MB. it stacks up well against everything out there, and for the price, its tough not to notice it.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:54 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Mike, chill out bro...most of us know what you meant to say, and most of us agree with you and your opinion....Let's get back to the original intention of this tread....
Old 04-18-2009, 12:04 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since I sell MBs for a living I'd love to know of the proof they have. I went through the Ride and Drive, studied the car, have driven many of them, and can't say as though I agree at all.

Show me the proof!

Originally Posted by stevel
the MB techs at my dealership tell me that the build quality, etc. of the GLK is far below the standards of the other MB cars..... they tell me that it's actually quite poor to have the MB name on it.

but I haven't looked close enough to form my own opinion, it's just what the guys say that deal with that carline everyday tell me.................
Old 04-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Intermediate

Heads up guys Motor Week did a review of the GLK this week.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MILBO
Heads up guys Motor Week did a review of the GLK this week.
If you don't get a chance and watch the show here is a link to the review:

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2833a.shtml
Old 12-08-2011, 11:20 PM
8th Gear

Hey guys,

I know i'm diggin up a really old thread, but i thought I could offer my 2 cents on the 2012 GLK adn 2012 RDX.

So i just bought my mum the RDX, picking it up tomorrow. My mum, pops, and I went to test drive both the GLK350 and the RDX, and we chose the RDX despite my parents being pretty faithfull to the mercedes brand. My dads on his 5th S class, a 550 4matic w/ AMG package, and my mums favourite was her old C240 back in 01. (hates her current 3 series though)

Anyways, to the point, the GLK was costing 7-8k more after all is said and done when similarly equipped as the RDX. Not much of a concern for my parents, but its still substantial. And you would hope to get 7k more car for that money. Not happening. Not to mention the fact that acura is giving 2 years free maintenance. And benz service is, well, HELLA expensive. (plus, saves me the trouble of crawling under the car for oil changes)

- rdx sh-awd tech - 2500 discount, 0.25% lease/finance (basically $200 cost of borrowing)

- GLK with convineince package, premium package, media interface, command APS lease 4.9% discount 4500 finance 2.9 discount 5250 (those include factory intensives))

GLK

It was very soft and mushy of a ride. Nice when you're feeling lazy, but doesn't make you want to push it at all. Could be a good thing though. There was defiantly head toss on speed bumps and it did feel more like a 'truck'. Steering was not as responsive and didn't feel like it hugged the road, just just sat up on top of it.

Storage area was seemingly small, and not as useable with those big wheel wells pushing into the side of the trunk.

Pops was sitting in the back, and has a bit of a hearing problem. said there was more road noise and he couldn't hear me and my mum very well, compared to the RDX.

Interior finish was great, very nice nav, screen was much more updated and higher resolution. Seats were comfortable and had good support, legroom all around was ample, and visibility was good all around.

RDX

Interior was not quite as polished as the GLK. The NAV system, although very good functionally, looked very dated. Screen resolution was bad, and text wasn't as sharp or strait lined as the GLK's nav.

Ride was very comfortable, hugged the road, felt like a car, just higher. loves to be pushed hard, but can be driven like a Sunday driver just as easily.

Cabin was quiet all around except when you pushed it, and that engine starts to roar. Good visibility all around (surprisingly given its appearance on the outside) and cargo space is abundant. Center console is also big enough for my mums purse (or so she states lol). The lack of a hump in the back makes fitting 3 people back there much easier, and the seats are also very comfortable, yet supportive and sporty.

So, after all was said and done, my mum liked both cars equally, and my dad slightly preferred the RDX. Although that's saying a lot coming from a die hard benz guy. I loved the RDX. Nuff said.

Next on the list is a OEM remote starter ($420) and a roof rack ($343). Installation should be easy enough for me to tackle.

phew!
Old 12-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
^
Congrats on the new ride! Do some research on the oem remote start. Most members go with an aftermarket system because you don't have to restart the engine when you get in the car. The aftermarket systems are also a lot cheaper and offer better range (2-way).

Last edited by 007Acura; 12-09-2011 at 08:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ShaTR (12-09-2011)
Old 12-09-2011, 12:30 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by 007Acura
^
Congrats on the new ride! Do some research on the oem remote start. Most members go with an aftermarket system because you don't have to restart the engine when you get in the car. The aftermarket systems are also a lot cheaper and offer better range (2-way).
Thanks man (actually bought it for my mum, but i'll be driving it occasionally as well)

As far as OEM vs aftermarket, i did do some research, and the OEM seems to have a decent range. Not as far as aftermarket, but should work from inside the house, or the office (single story building). And i believe the OEM is also a 2 way starter, judging from the FOB itself

The auto-defroster function in the OEM is a huge plus

I have heard bad things about aftermarket starters, mostly related to long term functionality, and glitches in general. Could just be with older units though.

Either way, i'll look a little more into it. thanks!
Old 12-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by ShaTR
Thanks man (actually bought it for my mum, but i'll be driving it occasionally as well)

As far as OEM vs aftermarket, i did do some research, and the OEM seems to have a decent range. Not as far as aftermarket, but should work from inside the house, or the office (single story building). And i believe the OEM is also a 2 way starter, judging from the FOB itself

The auto-defroster function in the OEM is a huge plus

I have heard bad things about aftermarket starters, mostly related to long term functionality, and glitches in general. Could just be with older units though.

Either way, i'll look a little more into it. thanks!
I got the Python 991 2 way auto starter pager.
It has two miles range. (Not like I will auto start my car from that far)

It has a the defroster feature along with the car finder. (Chirps every minutes to let you know where you parked - In case you forgot)
Old 12-10-2011, 12:25 AM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 124 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Syzygy
I don't mind the prop rod for the hood. It holds it up. And it is a very heavy hood. I had a 2000 TL before my RDX and it didn't have a prop rod. Well, it was to the point where if I parked on even a slight downslope, the hood would not stay up. I'll take the prop rod any day. It will never wear out or fail..
The RDX prop rod has a great feature -- the second position holds the hood wide open for easy maintenance.

I also do not like hood struts. I was working on my mother-in-law's Buick when the hood strut failed suddenly and without warning. The gas did not leak slowly. That hood came down like a crocodile's jaws on an antelope -- scared the snot oughta me. Fortunately I wasn't under it and didn't appear on: 1000 Ways to Die, Eaten by a Buick.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:15 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
need to make that hood and the hatch out of aluminum so they don't have that crocodile weight!